Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I'll keep up with the thread because I kinda want to see how this plays out, but there's no point watching it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Reminder this show hosed over Orlando Jones, and by the transitive property, the viewers of this show by removing its best part.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Oasx posted:

I was under the impression that Jones' character wasn't going to be in season 3, and that was why he wasn't asked back.
Considering how aimless season 2 was, perhaps it's best not to pad out the show with characters they have no stories for?

I was happy to see Dead Wife go, she was insufferable.

Ian McShane is by far the best part of the show in my opinion.

They didn't just fire him. They waited until after the hiring cycle for the new season of shows was over to fire him, essentially preventing him from being able to work. After he worked on writing scripts for the previous season to ensure they stayed on schedule. But they made up for it by bringing in a white showrunner who understands racism. I don't know how Starz could have its head farther up it's own rear end

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, Jones got more than hosed by this show, he was turbo-hosed, and it's complete bullshit on their part. As far as I know he didn't even get paid for the writing stuff he did, right? Was he even credited?

I was so pumped for more of this show after the first season. They should have just let Bryan Fuller keep running the show, I don't give a gently caress if it blew out the budget or whatever, the show sucks without him.

I don't believe he was. Guy was a team player by all accounts, then got the relationship equivalent of being dumped by text

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Oasx posted:

I find the show interesting enough to keep watching, but the pace has glacial this season.

Considering how slow previous seasons have been, that is a helluva statement

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Chalks posted:

That episode had some really good bits for me. Belqis as technical boy's subconscious was really good, I'm a real fan of actors mimicking each other and doing a good job of all the little mannerisms. I thought Laura on the bridge at the end was a really great performance, honestly the character doesn't get an enormous range due to her perpetual sarcasm but that scene was really convincing.

I don't know what to think about this and I'm not qualified at all, but I have a friend who's gay and he would complain a lot about how often being happy and gay is equated to fetish orgies and sex parties. It's not something I've given a whole lot of thought to but that scene really brought that to mind. I guess different people find different things empowering so it's a difficult balance to strike. I assume that LGBT people are involved in the writing/directing of this stuff though, or at least consulted about its tone.

Lol at the idea they consult people, when they went into their second season needing Orlando Jones to write just to get scripts on time.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I feel like a show about all the behind the scenes stuff would be more interesting than the actual show.

Agreed. If this were a sport, I'd be waiting for the 30 for 30 to come out

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Y'all kinda got me wanting to watch Control. Loved Fringe. Wanted to love Counterpart, but the story didnt really keep up with the acting. J.K. Simmons was incredible considering he had very little to work with.

Edit: Wait, Control is a video game? Way to make me feel old!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Kung Food posted:

The few episodes I watched of Fringe gave me a "X-Files but with a daytime budget" feel. Does is get better?

I think the overall arc is very compelling. If that doesn't hook you, at some point Denethor sings Love and Happiness

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Khablam posted:

Fringe is a good show, but it's aged a lot. If your expectation is modern premier serial television (see: American Gods S1) it's about as far away from that as possible, dropping just short of NCIS levels of weekly network TV. Much of it is a weekly procedural where you replace the murder of the week with "why is this person on fire for no reason" of the week. That's either a good or bad thing, depending on your POV.
Some runs of episodes do a fairly decent job of straddling the line between weekly-episodic and story-arc based material, but I watched it through for the first time this year and it just feels like it wants to commit to the latter but can't. It would be a very different show if it was made today, which you can kinda feel when just watching it.
S5 also did eventually commit to the longer arc format, but it missed the mark by a fair margin.

I did still very much enjoy it and would recommend it to most people, but given the thread it's worth going in remembering it's 2008-era network TV.

S5 felt like a rush job, which it kinda was.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Kung Food posted:

I doubt Jones wants anything to do with a Gaiman work ever again.

He has nothing but positive things to say about Gaiman. He clearly was a fan of the work, considering he went to the trouble of writing scripts, despite it not being his job

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

G-Spot Run posted:

You're a loving rear end in a top hat, dead show

There should be a special warning before you start binge watching a series that got cancelled on a cliffhanger ... That's my very generous review of the problems anyway.

Just read the book. It's infinitely better.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Medullah posted:

Yeah I never watched the show but read the book a couple times so a few years ago I decided to finally track it down and watch it and hooooo boy I couldn't get past the first episode. Soap opera camera to the max.

Luckily Stardust still holds up as a great movie fight me

This just reminder me that I never got my copy of Stardust from my pal I lent it to. Wonder if she's read it yet lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Paterson Joseph would be a baller Doctor.