Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

SirSamVimes posted:

My favourite thing about Relic Seeker Lemm is that he comes off like a antisocial grouch but when you give him a chance to talk about history he eagerly goes on and on.

Pretty much all the NPCs were voiced by the devs' friends and family and it seems to me Lemm is totally one of the devs putting on their best 'exasperated nerd' voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You totally should show off using the eggs, it's kinda funny.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
was it just my imagination, or does the obsessed bug girl start blushing if you sit on the bench next to her for a bit? Cuz that's kinda adorable. :3:

I voted for the library because i love seeing cool bosses, and more spells is always neat

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh right, it took me a little while to realize WHY There are spikes on elevators, not just to be a dick move (but also a dick move).

You may be able to reach that area without a wall jump (I'm... PRETTY Sure I did?). So falling down the elevator shaft would make you just stuck on top of the elevator with no way out. So a video game respawn sorts that out, and also gets them more "Look how hardcore Hollow Knight is :haw:" cred at first glance.

Of late I've been trying to become more aware of "Secretly a mercy mechanic" hazards, just because I find that kind of stuff interesting and it's a nice counterpoint to "More painful always = better" logic.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 13, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Voted for the sewers: might as well go and do the shittiest boss immediately.

Also I take umbrage with your statement that Dead Cells is trying to be like Dark Souls. They say that in the promotional stuff cause souls-like is a buzzword now, but the game plays nothing like Dark Souls.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Genocyber posted:

Also I take umbrage with your statement that Dead Cells is trying to be like Dark Souls. They say that in the promotional stuff cause souls-like is a buzzword now, but the game plays nothing like Dark Souls.

yeah, actually. if anything it plays like an old castlevania game, just with semi-randomized layouts. otherwise it's just general videogamey stuff that i'd have a hard time attributing to dark souls in particular if anything. fun as hell, at least.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Genocyber posted:

Oh I'm fully aware that it plays nothing like Dark Souls. However using that in its marketing scheme is not only disingenuous but also kinda scummy with relying on the hype-mongering that comes from that term.

Dead Cells is an alright game, though the recent content update has made me super salty with some of the enemy changes. An enemy that can print 4 more enemies every other second is not good enemy design goddammit. Neither is taking spike damage from attacking a spiked enemy with various long-range weapons

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"ancient city kept going through sacrifice" is honestly a little too close to Dark Souls for comfort.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
It's a similar theme, but I wouldn't call it too close for comfort. Especially with some later revelations in the story that kinda distance it the further you go. For right now, it's just dark bug fantasy, but I think you'll enjoy what the story has to offer the nearer we get to the end.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
One thing I find interesting about this game is that aside from the weapons being called nails (or a needle and thread, in Hornet's case), there's no giant human objects, or any traces of humanity that I can remember. I was expecting buildings made of shoes and tin cans, and "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" style set pieces, and was pleasantly surprised to see that they went with a much more original direction.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

ponzicar posted:

One thing I find interesting about this game is that aside from the weapons being called nails (or a needle and thread, in Hornet's case), there's no giant human objects, or any traces of humanity that I can remember. I was expecting buildings made of shoes and tin cans, and "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" style set pieces, and was pleasantly surprised to see that they went with a much more original direction.

Yeah, this was something interesting - there's not really much sign of humanity at all, and the 'nails' aren't really in the shape of nails, and we'll see an explanation for thread later I think. It makes me think that maybe the bugs did originally use human nails as weapons, but as they distanced themselves from humans and started making their own, 'nail' just became their term for a weapon of that shape.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
This LP made me check out this game, and I only saw a bit of the first vid so I'm blind! 3 hours in, explored everything around the "official" boss and took out the secondary one that hid a vendor. My ancient laptop can barely handle the drat thing but I'm still adoring it, thanks for the reccomendation, the rest of the games I'm going through are either really longform, depressing or difficult so this scratches a nice itch even if I blow at it.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
So if there was some sort of sacrifice that was made to have the city last in perpetuity it probably resulted in some sort of ironic curse that made everyone undead and trapped in continuing the routines they followed in life, only degraded because they're mindless undead now.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the story is really similar to Dark Souls, not just in the actual plot but also the themes it deals with. Whether that is a bad thing is up to anyone's judgment, I honestly find it disappointing.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

They're not that similar. The presentation is very different. Dark Souls is quite pessimistic with its dying world where everything is ruins and everyone is either dead or insane. Hollow Knight merely has a decaying kingdom that still has lively places in it and for all we know the outside world is just fine, and even in Hallownest there are still loads of characters who are really nice and sane. Even that dickface Xote is just a jerk in a very mundane way instead of going all Lautrec on you.

I think the most interesting difference is the protagonist, though. Dark Souls is very upfront about the protagonist being an undead, one of many, and the only difference between you and the rest is that you'll probably succeed because this is a video game. In Hollow Knight, the game willfully keeps the player character's identity a secret from the player. Who am I? Am I the titular Hollow Knight? What am I doing here? You don't even get hints before you first meet Hornet, and in the City of Tears there's a memorial of the Hollow Knight that looks nothing like you and it's like you've taken one step forward and then one step back.

Dark Souls and Hollow Knight are only really similar in a very superficial way, like Casablanca and Barb Wire.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 8- Soul Sanctum

161 people voted in this poll, and the top result took us to the Soul Sanctum. This level is something I believe the developers intended you to do ASAP; the area's a ramp up in difficulty but not in a significant amount, and you get a rad new ability from the boss here. Soul Sanctum is also unique in terms of environment since its the only place with furniture that you can break to build up for focus meter. The boss fight is neat but he's also a rather rude boy.

The ability we get here is Desolate Dive. This is a spell, so it uses our focus meter, and its functions are two-fold: heavy damage to ground-based enemies, and breaking fragile ground to open up new areas. The game has done a great job at teaching us which ground is breakable since we've seen fragile ground as early as the first episode. In terms of combat use, the AoE for this skill is surprisingly huge and gives you a gross amount of I-frames as well, so the spell is quite practical. For whatever reason though, I don't use this skill as often as I should, mainly because at this point of the game we start seeing the enemies split between flying and ground enemies, so I rarely see instances where the AoE factor of Desolate Dive becomes desirable. The spell is really good for chufty boys though, as we'll see in episode 9

Next episode is the Royal Waterways, and I think you all will enjoy how goofy that episode turns out.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

The ground-based bug zombies are named "Mistake". The flying ones are called "Folly". You can see 'em in the bestiary near the end, though you don't really look at them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Desolate Dive is a really good panic button for when you're surrounded and don't know what else to do. It gives you iframes so even if you're getting swarmed you still have a pretty good shot at getting the damage off.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think soul sanctum doesn't get a 'full' intro because it's more like a sub-area in a bigger one and it's technically not necessary to beat the game. there's optional places with full title cards, but i think they're more substantial as a zone.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

are you going to post the bestiary at some point? I'm very interested in the different bugs.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Sociopastry posted:

are you going to post the bestiary at some point?

If not, we'd be missing a lot of cool background information, world building and characterization of the Hunter. He's our only real friend. We must become worthy-

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Sociopastry posted:

are you going to post the bestiary at some point? I'm very interested in the different bugs.

cant cook creole bream posted:

If not, we'd be missing a lot of cool background information, world building and characterization of the Hunter. He's our only real friend. We must become worthy-

Didn't think there'd be interest in it. I can probably cook up something if I bug some of my VA friends.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Add me to the list of people who want the Journal. The Hunter's notes are either hilarious,sad, or just plain savage.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I was about to say, screenshots of the charms and bestiary entries would be cool, but VA'ed, now that'd be something else.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
the soul sanctum has a really neat piece of narrative that you two orbited around for a while

you know as a player how to acquire soul, by killing other bugs

well, you aren't the only one who knows that

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also a neat, if slight, detail that's easy to miss is that those 'ghost' enemies called mistakes and follies have the same crystal-looking nodes on their heads that the teleporting wizard enemies and the soul master had

there was some shady poo poo going down at the soul sanctum

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Yeah, both bestiary and Charms list would be welcome.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
They look more like slugs or shell-less snails to me than ghosts. Just ones that apparently fly

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
And now for some hard numbers!

Your sword starts out doing 5 damage points per swing. When upgraded once, it deals 9 damage points.

Your vengeful spirit deals 15 damage, your desolate dive deals 15 or 20 damage depending on if you hit the enemy directly, or with the shockwave. (And an astounding 35 if you can somehow hit a target with both.)

The spore cloud badge actually does pretty decent damage, pulsing 18 times over three seconds (so once every ten/five frames) for 1 or 2 damage a pulse, clocking in at 27ish if you can keep an enemy in the cloud the entire time. It's a little random, but it turns your healing spell into a strong damage ability under the right circumstances, and is amazing against slow, stationary, or predictable enemies. It can also go through walls and platforms. And that's before potential modifiers. And if I remember right, healing costs the same as a fireball. It's a really good badge for just one slot.

It also lets you read certain tablets or other things. So it's a good badge to just have on you at all times.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 19, 2017

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Fish Noise posted:

I was about to say, screenshots of the charms and bestiary entries would be cool, but VA'ed, now that'd be something else.
I should preface this by saying its a very rare thing that will happen. I do know a couple VAs (Travis being one, but he's already doing work for this), but this would technically be in the line of paid work since there are 144 beastiary entries and 32(?) charms. And when you're a poor boy like me, cash for this kinda service is hard to come by.

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

And now for some hard numbers!

Your sword starts out doing 5 damage points per swing. When upgraded once, it deals 9 damage points.

Your vengeful spirit deals 15 damage, your desolate dive deals 15 or 20 damage depending on if you hit the enemy directly, or with the shockwave. (And an astounding 35 if you can somehow hit a target with both.)

The spore cloud badge actually does pretty decent damage, pulsing 16 times for 1 or 2 damage a pulse, clocking in at 24ish if you can keep an enemy in the cloud the entire time. It's a little random, but it turns your healing spell into a strong damage ability under the right circumstances, and is amazing against slow, stationary, or predictable enemies. It can also go through walls and platforms. And that's before potential modifiers. And if I remember right, healing costs the same as a fireball. It's a really good badge for just one slot.

It also lets you read certain tablets or other things. So it's a good badge to just have on you at all times.

That's actually super fascinating, especially the numbers for Desolate Dive & Spore Cloud. Where did you pull these numbers?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Highwang posted:

That's actually super fascinating, especially the numbers for Desolate Dive & Spore Cloud. Where did you pull these numbers?

Forum posts, Hollow Knight Wiki, and testing it out myself. :shrug:

Edit: Was slightly wrong, corrected the post you quoted. damage range is 18-36, averages to 27ish.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 19, 2017

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Highwang posted:

I should preface this by saying its a very rare thing that will happen. I do know a couple VAs (Travis being one, but he's already doing work for this), but this would technically be in the line of paid work since there are 144 beastiary entries and 32(?) charms. And when you're a poor boy like me, cash for this kinda service is hard to come by.
Patreon might be helpful on that account.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Highwang posted:

If voice acting them would be expensive/time consuming, you can just post screenshots.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

If voice acting them would be expensive/time consuming, you can just post screenshots.

This. While VA would be cool, I'd be just fine with screenshots.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Highwang posted:

there are 144 beastiary entries and 32(?) charms.

I think it's actually 146 or 147 bestiary entries, and 37 charms.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. The effect when you collected the Desolate Dive actually puts me in mind a little bit of your post-Colossus effects in Shadow of the Colossus.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh, character and level design that communicates story, how I love you.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

skullhead tethyis posted:

the soul sanctum has a really neat piece of narrative that you two orbited around for a while

you know as a player how to acquire soul, by killing other bugs

well, you aren't the only one who knows that

Hey now. You get soul by HITTING other bugs. If anything, killing them is worse :pseudo:

Weaker hits = more soul! Upgrading your sword and one-shot killing a weak enemy means you get basically nothing added to the meter.

...Man, no wonder they failed. "Guys, we're not getting as much soul from our victims as we used to. Maybe we should think about this." "Yes, Kill MORE of them!" "What, no."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 20, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Samovar posted:

Oh, character and level design that communicates story, how I love you.

hollow knight does it REALLY well, so get hype for even more stuff spread throughout the game. i guess people associate that sort of thing with the souls games a lot, but i dunno if they can really lay claim to what's just an alternate way of giving information. it's nice when a game actually pulls it off in a satisfying way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Johnny Joestar posted:

hollow knight does it REALLY well, so get hype for even more stuff spread throughout the game. i guess people associate that sort of thing with the souls games a lot, but i dunno if they can really lay claim to what's just an alternate way of giving information. it's nice when a game actually pulls it off in a satisfying way.

I mean, I liked the little bits of putting stuff together on my own finally getting around to that series. But damned if you do, damned if you don't getting compared to it whether you have the scenery tell the tale being "A complete rip off if you work it out for yourself!" vs "Oh my god, an NPC ACTUALLY TOLD YOU what happened here rather than leave it deliberately vague!?"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 20, 2017

• Locked thread