Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Highwang posted:

Learn from Zote. He's surprisingly wise, despite being stupid as poo poo.
Who hurt you, Zote? Who made you so distrustful of everyone and everything? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Time for the second, and probably final, episode of Damage Chat!

The radiance has 1700 total hit points across all of its forms. For comparison, the first boss- false knight- has 385, and the beetle horde of watcher knights has a combined total of 1320 hp, with each beetle having 220 hp.

Your dream shield badge deals the damage of a regular nail swing each time it contacts an enemy.

Your starting nail does 5 damage per hit. The Pure nail does 21 damage per hit. Pretty rad, that's over four times as much damage. So that'd take 81 hits.

The fragile strength badge gives a 50% nail damage increase, which also applies to your nail arts. 53 hits.

The dashing and great slashes both provide an extra 2.5x modifier to nail damage. That's at least 75 damage a whack if you combine the slash arts, strength badge, and pure nail. 23 hits.

However, the Cyclone slash nail art can deal up to seven times your normal nail strike damage if all of the slashes hit. That's over 210 damage in a single attack with pure nail and fragile strength. Absolutely brutal, but harder to use than the slash arts, especially tricky to get every hit to land. Less than ten hits, but you're not doing it because the radiance flies.

However, there's something you kind of missed out on using in the Radiance fight. There's one spell in particular that does a lot of damage very rapidly to the Radiance, and that's your abyssal shriek spell. Howling wraiths is kinda weak, at 30 damage a hit. The upgraded version is a much beefier 80 damage a hit, and the shaman stone also adds 50% to that upping it to 120 a hit. that's only 15 spellcasts to kill it, but you'll need to hit the radiance anyway to get the mana needed to fuel the spells.

Toss in the extra soul on strike badge, and the less soul to cast spells badge, and you're churning out some pretty high magic damage.

A few other damage sources to note, Glowing Womb flies deal 9 damage without defender's crest, 50%ish more with the crest due to the poison DOT, weaversong spiders deal 2 damage per hit, and the new DLC minion deals between 5 to 11 damage per hit based on... factors. If you fought the radiance with nothing but weaversong hits, you'd need to be really good at dodging, because that's 850 hits the spiders would need to land. You can do it, little guys!

Weaversong spiders and the new guy aren't affected by defender's crest, sadly.

That's actually really fascinating. The person I mentioned in the video said Fragile/Unbreakable Strength was just a flat bonus, I didn't realize it was scaling.

Cyclone and Abyssal Shriek would've been perfect for the boss but the charge attacks in general I feel are kinda meh in comparison to just slash spamming. Shriek would've been good by itself, I don't think I would've built into it since Warrior's Honor and Unbreakable Strength are so costly.

I really got super lucky during that boss fight's phase 2. Having that solid minute of just laying down damage chumped Radiance. Odds are it've gone by faster if I had the slash speed badge.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
I really like the end sequence of The Radiance fight. When the PC ascends to strike at the Radiance followed all his abyss siblings (and of course the 'last boss' Hollow Knight coming back to finish his duty). It lended a real sense of, I dunno, triumph? It felt like the PC was more than the sum of his parts by having all those other beings come back and lend the PC their strength so he can finish the job.

EDIT: During that second phase she always starts there and waits for a while. With Fast Slash and Fragile Strength that stage can really be chumped if the Radiance chooses her attacks poorly.

SITB fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 30, 2017

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Highwang posted:

That's actually really fascinating. The person I mentioned in the video said Fragile/Unbreakable Strength was just a flat bonus, I didn't realize it was scaling.

Cyclone and Abyssal Shriek would've been perfect for the boss but the charge attacks in general I feel are kinda meh in comparison to just slash spamming. Shriek would've been good by itself, I don't think I would've built into it since Warrior's Honor and Unbreakable Strength are so costly.

I really got super lucky during that boss fight's phase 2. Having that solid minute of just laying down damage chumped Radiance. Odds are it've gone by faster if I had the slash speed badge.

Team Cherry really likes their 50% damage increases.

Defender's crest is a flat damage increase, but the things it affects tend to be increased by 50% in flat damage bonuses.

It may have been a problem with my game but cyclone art was affected by gravity normally when I tried it. Feel free to do an effort video where you try some of those other attack methods on radiance if you want. My computer's made of woo.

Even without building into it, abyssal shriek is the damage of four normal sword whacks, but only like two and a half fragile strength hits. If nothing else it or glowing womb are a good way to dump extra mana during the fight, since chances to heal are rarer.

Speaking of which, Shade soul does 15 damage base, 30 damage upgraded. Shaman's stone is, of course, a 50% increase. 45 damage, easy to use.

Flukenest TRIPLES the damage on it if you get all the shotgun worms to hit, upping it to 145 or so damage of you have shaman stone on. Problem is it's often been bugged to do much less damage than these numbers indicate, or at least lacked visual impact. And that's like, what, five badge points for one spell?

Defender's crest flukenest is easier to use, but the damage drops again to about 60 damage with the poop-dot included so I can't really recommend the combo.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Shei-kun posted:

Who hurt you, Zote? Who made you so distrustful of everyone and everything? :ohdear:

His mother, obviously.

Never trust mothers.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
On Radiance:

My suggested build for Radiance would be a full caster build. If you toss on the spell twister, shaman stone, and both of the "more mana on hit" badges, you'll be able to cast abyssal shriek once for each time you hit the radiance, allowing you to do tremendous amounts of damage to them. Basically 141 damage per hit/spell cycle.

On Grimm:

The failed hollow knight you fight during the game spouts orange goo instead of black shadow stuff, so if Grimm was a vessel who became overwhelmed by the red flames, it's not surprising he'd emit them when whacked.

My theory is, it is a vessel, and it is a rebirth, it's just not a vessel from the series the White King produced, so the construction is different. Similiar purpose, so some of the design elements will match, but not necessarily for the same specs, because it's holding a different type of magic. Though both radiance and Grimm use dream magic.

Also, my take away from the Grimm Troupe is that Grimm is even older than the kingdom, and either travels from one to one as each fails to maintain his existence, or hibernates in the same place waiting for a new kingdom to pop up.

Also, the final entry in the leg-eater saga. Even though you never triggered this event in the LP.
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/856108744055966989/811988B7C21AF65032464F9D231057F231F4CECE/

Anyway, thanks for the LP!

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 3, 2018

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

On Grimm:

because it's holding a different type of magic. Though both radiance and Grimm use dream magic.

I forget where, but I'm fairly confident I was reading a discussion on some HK canon, and people there were saying that nightmare stuff is distinctly different from dream stuff. It's a "different type of magic" because it just isn't "dream magic"

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Dancer posted:

I forget where, but I'm fairly confident I was reading a discussion on some HK canon, and people there were saying that nightmare stuff is distinctly different from dream stuff. It's a "different type of magic" because it just isn't "dream magic"

Something to note. If you go to the White Lady with Grimmchild, she has a comment on it - she refers to it as an attempted usurper, and says "Hallownest will never accept so strange a king" or something like that. So Grimm's ritual does seem to be laying claim to the conquered realm, in a way.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
According to the wiki, the Dream Zote's full title after you fight him enough is "Invincible Fearless Sensual Mysterious Enchanting Vigorous Diligent Overwhelming Gorgeous Passionate Terrifying Beautiful Powerful Grey Prince Zote", and if you beat him ten times, his statue will turn gold.

Edit: Apparently Travis got it at the end of the video; that's what I get for looking it up right away. :v:

ousire fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 4, 2018

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
FINAL UPDATE~!

Episode 29: The Grimm Troupe
Episode 30: ??????????

And now its time for the DLC:

The repeatable dream fights came with the Dream Blade Teleportation, and its nice that these guys offer infinite essence if you're good enough to handle them. White Defender's neat for getting more backstory on the king's elite knights, however the fight's a bit on the underwhelming side since he only gets one new attack and a modification of another. I do enjoy how it's implied that he fell from grace because his martial prowess involved filling the white palace with dung. Grey Prince Zote however steals the show with how profoundly dumb it is, and I really do blow logs at it. I can't handle all the shockwaves he throws out and the predictive teleport tricks me too much to handle beyond 3rd refight. The two are a nice touch to the whole dream motif honestly, even though it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to psychic-knife a statue to fight fanfiction.

As for Grimm Troupe, I'm a bit half-and-half on it. The good is that the boss/es are really fun and it provides a neat flip-side to the whole dream motif we've been going through in the game. We also got some really neat badges and an extra badge slot for our efforts. The bad of it is that the task for accessing all this neat stuff is kind of underwhelming, with us fighting three micro-bosses three times. I do appreciate having Bug Dracula come into town to stir poo poo up one last time though, and all you guys posting the small bits of story from what I missed only adds to the neat LORE that Grimm brings with him. Someone will have to tell me what the alternative badge does when you work with Barunn instead of Grimm cause I never once considered doing that.

Finally, Mr Mushroom. I have no explanations, it honestly just sounds like he's spitting nonsense. It does bring about some interesting bits though when you look at all the weird stuff in Fungal Core then psychic knife Mr Mushroom. However, I really just harken this to Dog Ending, it feels too weird to make any sense out of.

And that's the final update! 106% baybee. I'll probably do a Closing Thoughts video since I do have some lingering thoughts that don't really fit in the LP, but I hope you all enjoyed the game. Team Cherry's been really quiet about Hornet Mode, so I doubt that'll see a LP. What I'm really hoping for is the sales of this game bringing about Zote Mode like it was rumored during the kickstarter.

Thanks to everyone who stuck around and watch, especially those who bought the game and enjoyed it themselves. This game was a labor of love, and I'm glad everyone appreciated this game as much as I did. Huge thanks to Travis for sticking with this despite him destroying my public image, this LP was originally planned to be a back-to-back LP with him doing Nier;Automata alongside it but plans for that fell through sadly. As for future projects, I have to finish Odin Sphere, then I want to do something short but weird. See you next time Void Cowboys.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
HIGHWANG HATES PIZZA.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Does someone have a link to a video of Zote's gf getting more and more disillusioned?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

okay but when are you doing the Path of Pain

:colbert:

edit: A couple of things.

1) The Great Knights in the background of the White Defender are, in order, Mysterious Ze'mer (also known as the Grey Mourner), Fierce Dryya (the corpse outside the Pale Lady's den), Kindly Isma (whose corpse you plucked the anti-acid powerup from) and Mighty Hegemol (whose armour the False Knight wears). Dung Defender's own name is Loyal Ogrim.

2) Bretta actually does give up on Zote. If you defeat him enough that the shrine turns golden, she leaves and there's a new entry to the fanfiction journal.

The Maiden's Quest posted:

Her Grey Prince diminished and her White Saviour revealed a beast, the Maiden at last understood the truth.

Her life's companion would not appear, for they could not appeaer to a maiden idle. She must instead seek them out, must find her love, and free them of her solitude.

And thus her own journey began, out into dangerous lands, shielded by her love awaiting, guided by her love to be.

With every step, the maiden could feel it, their fated meeting, coming ever closer.

3) You don't need Grimmchild to activate Nightmare King Grimm but I kept it anyway because it felt thematically appropriate.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 6, 2018

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

If you say you don't want to get the 100% bestiary because you don't want to refight Grey Prince Zote, I have good news! Several enemies, a category including all DLC enemies, the Radiance, and Menderbug, are considered "bonus" completion, and aren't required for getting the Hunter's Mark. So, for example, if you were at 123/149 monsters seen/monsters total, and you killed White Defender for the first time, your seen/total would go to 124/150. If you're after the Mark, you never even have to beat Grey Prince Zote the first time, let alone multiple times!

So I expect a bonus video on your 100% bestiary before long. Maybe as an announcement for when you do the third DLC pack. :colbert: I'm kidding, you don't owe us a goddamn thing. This was a fantastic LP and got me to buy and play through the game multiple times. Thank you very much.

Highwang posted:

Someone will have to tell me what the alternative badge does when you work with Barunn instead of Grimm cause I never once considered doing that.

Looks like it's three notches, and it give a chance to negate an attack, becoming more likely the more attacks it doesn't negate. Sounds okay if you know you're going a long way without a bench, or for the Colosseum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

edit: ignore this

• Locked thread