Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

I collected every Jiggy :grin:

Same. As well as every golden banana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

its probably not that rare but im super proud of beating super metroid wthout picking up the ice/grapple beams. once i finish my reverse boss order run thtll be my new one

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Fungah! posted:

its probably not that rare but im super proud of beating super metroid wthout picking up the ice/grapple beams. once i finish my reverse boss order run thtll be my new one

I imagine that is pretty rare. Just learning how to mockball is beyond most gamers, not to mention learning how to quick/short charge a shinespark.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah, my top three achievements are for dumb poo poo in games that only like a few thousand people have played. i like the spelunky one, though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh I can beat Zero Mission in like 45 minutes. I even did it on stream once. I should do it more often so I don't forget how to.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've also beaten it low% normal which is probably the hardest self challenge in a game I've ever done. Fighting mecha ridley without screw attack is a complete loving nightmare. As is all of tourian, and the mother brain fight. If I ever want to drive myself completely prodromal some day I'll try a low% hard run.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

I've also beaten it low% normal which is probably the hardest self challenge in a game I've ever done. Fighting mecha ridley without screw attack is a complete loving nightmare. As is all of tourian, and the mother brain fight. If I ever want to drive myself completely prodromal some day I'll try a low% hard run.

Do it. Hell I'd watch the whole thing.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I tried low percent hard a long time ago and of the handful of times I managed to beat mecha Ridley, I would get brutally owned by the two super pirates at the end of the escape sequence.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can cheese them by dropping down slowly with space jump until the screen shifts enough to spawn them and then immediately jumping back up and they will get stuck in a loop clinging to the wall and shooting left and you don't have to actually fight them.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I wish I knew that a decade ago.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kongming posted:

I tried low percent hard a long time ago and of the handful of times I managed to beat mecha Ridley, I would get brutally owned by the two super pirates at the end of the escape sequence.

speedrunners did a low% hard run at agdq and from the very start they were nervous about the instagib metroids and those super pirates above all else

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

yeah, my top three achievements are for dumb poo poo in games that only like a few thousand people have played. i like the spelunky one, though.

Half of mine are because I"m one of the only people to ever play Portugal in Civ V apparently

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
.79% of players have the achievement for playing 5 minutes into the ToME4 expansion on nightmare, and its my rarest one, followed by unlocking all the daggers and short swords in chivalry, another tome one from the same expansion, and getting a 4x combo in max payne 3 arcade mode

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
I have the dirt rally platinum (0.1%) which requires you to be really good at sim racing .. like for example i could finish in the top 20 worldwide in dailies, weeklies and monthlies and i was still often only winning long stages against the AI at masters level by fractions of a second and some stages in finland i wasnt able to do better than 2nd on at all

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

That's very impressive. Racing Sims are one genre that I have never even touched but I respect the dedication to shaving off milliseconds.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I have never acheived anything. That is the true rare acheivement.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

That's very impressive. Racing Sims are one genre that I have never even touched but I respect the dedication to shaving off milliseconds.

im surprised speedrunners arent taken by them. modern ones are essentially the most complex interpretation of a time attack that u can find, and theres no "rng" to deal with. but i suppose the complexity means that they cant really be approached as though theyre a puzzle that can be solved either

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

im surprised speedrunners arent taken by them. modern ones are essentially the most complex interpretation of a time attack that u can find, and theres no "rng" to deal with. but i suppose the complexity means that they cant really be approached as though theyre a puzzle that can be solved either

yeah racing games are designed for speedruns and your times are based on skill. theres outliers like mario kart that can be bent and broken which is what speedrunners love

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also I have to imagine that a speedrun would mostly mean shaving seconds or tenths-of-seconds off already-good times, since that's what the game is designed for. That's less interesting than turning a six-hour game into a one-hour game, etc.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also I have to imagine that a speedrun would mostly mean shaving seconds or tenths-of-seconds off already-good times, since that's what the game is designed for. That's less interesting than turning a six-hour game into a one-hour game, etc.

Being good enough at something that you can tell when tenths of a second are a big deal, like I was at NES Remix, is a great feel. But for watching I guess it ain't as awesome.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

hearing all the racing talk, I forlornly turn to the sign in my room

"IT HAS BEEN [9] YEARS SINCE A BURNOUT GAME"

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Burnout 2 and Burnout 3 are both the best game of all time in their respective genres. An HD rerelease would be nice, but I don't want them trying anything new.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

Same. As well as every golden banana.

In DK64 as a child my game's last golden banana was glitched and uncollectible and it pissed me off forever.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

When Perfect Dark came out I would play it obsessively and eventually set personal challenges for myself to beat levels on the hardest difficulty, 100% accuracy, 100% headshots, basically a single shot and kill for every enemy. I did it in most of the levels but not all of them, I doubt anyone else has bothered doing it though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

emoji posted:

In DK64 as a child my game's last golden banana was glitched and uncollectible and it pissed me off forever.

Mournfully Oh Long Banana

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Tender Bender posted:

When Perfect Dark came out I would play it obsessively and eventually set personal challenges for myself to beat levels on the hardest difficulty, 100% accuracy, 100% headshots, basically a single shot and kill for every enemy. I did it in most of the levels but not all of them, I doubt anyone else has bothered doing it though.
I was the first kid in my town to unlock 007 mode, although I was never able to actually unlock all the cheats legitly, so it's not like I was a huge pro gamer or anything.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pablo Gigante posted:

Mournfully Oh Long Banana

Lol

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
My rare Goldeneye achievement was I lent it to a schoolfriend and then on chill Sunday afternoon his mom screeched her minivan into our driveway giving it back to me and yelling at me about violence in games.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

emoji posted:

My rare Goldeneye achievement was I lent it to a schoolfriend and then on chill Sunday afternoon his mom screeched her minivan into our driveway giving it back to me and yelling at me about violence in games.

Should've let her pick Oddjob lol

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

emoji posted:

Pablo Gigante posted:

Should've let her pick Oddjob lol

hahah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bill Barber posted:

I was the first kid in my town to unlock 007 mode, although I was never able to actually unlock all the cheats legitly, so it's not like I was a huge pro gamer or anything.

I've never seen a 1:13 and I never loving will. 1:12 until the day I die.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

I've never seen a 1:13 and I never loving will. 1:12 until the day I die.

Me and Marc Rutzou. Me and loving Marc Rutzou

Historical Wizards
Jul 3, 2016

:toot:

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

I feel like games that were on ps plus are kind of cheating for this since i imagine a lot of people play the games once and then never again so the percentage is probably a bit skewed. so here's my rarest non-ps plus game one:

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
when you're checking the trophies for a game and the achievement for getting past the brightness adjustment segment of the tutorial somehow has a clear rate of 80%

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Venetian sea from eu4 is my rarest. I wanna get into it again!!!!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
lets see umm

getting every achievement in spelunky, clearing revengeance on revengeance mode with all S ranks, getting S ranks on ikaruga stage 1 and final stage, getting every achievement in lovely planet, and getting the 1001% full completion Afterbirth achievement like 2 weeks into its release.
those are the only ones i can think of right now

e: oh yeah dustforce all SS

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

hearing all the racing talk, I forlornly turn to the sign in my room

"IT HAS BEEN [9] YEARS SINCE A BURNOUT GAME"

i recently beat burnout paradise again and i really want to play burnout 3 cause everyone says its the best one

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

no they will not posted:

when you're checking the trophies for a game and the achievement for getting past the brightness adjustment segment of the tutorial somehow has a clear rate of 80%

Every game should have "press start" and "beat the easy first level" achievements to see who gives up five minutes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

no they will not posted:

Guilty Gear has a trophy for launching the game and it has like a 97% clear rate

• Locked thread