Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Cast:

Cinder, the Bull, played by Godfish

Nightblade, the Legacy, played by Tricky

Steelheart, the Beacon, played by Tardzilla

Sunbow, the Outsider, played by Rauri

--------------------------

It's a normal, sunny day in the city of Halcyon. The first panel opens up on Bird's Nest Cafe, with people stopping by for a snack or something to eat after school. Below, in the basement, a group of four teens are gathered and hanging out. The television is on, the news just normal everyday things. Until a breaking alert occurs and a newscaster quickly begins reading a summary of the ongoing situation:

"This just in! It appears a pair of villains, along with a large group of armed individuals have seized control of the Halcyon City Zoo. Their demands are to gain access to the Unicorn that was discovered a few days ago, and being temporarily kept within the zoo."

A picture of a big old man wearing a safari explorer outfit shows up on screen. "The Hunter, a man known for his love of tracking down rare and unusual prey is behind this - authorities say he is determined to have a, quote, proper hunt."

Another image of several of The Hunter's minions show up. They're armed and probably dangerous even to a group like you. Not too huge a threat, but maybe you'd want to keep an eye on them.

A final image is of a young man with no fancy costume - just armor that covers his body and a helmet. "Bullet, an upcoming villain has clashed with super heroes before. At the moment, it is unclear why he and The Hunter are working together.

For now, authorties have closed off all access to and from the zoo. While a hostage situation has developed, it appears the villains are using them to stop authorites from just rushing in and currently aren't endangering them.

We'll keep this news story up to date as it goes on."


Cinder: You've had a run in with Bullet before. He has a gun that shoots bullets. Not very creative. But he also has cheap single-shot guns for trick bullets. How did you defeat him last time, and how do you think he'll be prepared for you this time?

Nightblade: The Hunter is from the Gold Age of supers. What kind of encounters have the past members had with him?

Steelheart: Do you think this is the situation where you'll prove yourself to Nighblade? After all, you're apparently the leader of the team according to everyone but Cinder. How do you plan on dealing with this threat?

Sunbow: How'd a unicorn get here? They aren't native to Earth, so one must have come across by accident. Or was it an accident? How sentient are they anyway? And what kind of people hunt them back in Avalon?

--------------------------

Influence Sheet



Put your character sheet in a quote block at the bottom of your first post and keep it updated as you gain advances

Generally you can do one roll/significant action per post, ask me if you want to do more

Have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


People:

Akira Hattori - The second Nightblade, Nightblade's father, currently in recovery after a battle with Sablestar but plans on returning to the field once he gets better. Thinks Nightblade should be in the public eye.

Alchemist - Super villain who kidnapped a bunch of kids and infused elements into them. Four of them are still with her, and Cinder violently left. Wants to capture the element of Aether to becoming all powerful and immortal. Has infused the kids with Fire, Water, Lightning, Wind, and Earth.

Angel of Archery - Member of the Examplars who looks after Cinder and is paying for her apartment.

Cassie Steel - Steelheart's sister, speedster superhero by the name of Blink. Thinks Steelheart shouldn't be a superhero, got into an argument with their dad over it and no longer talks to him.

Fuuma Kotaro - Supervillain known as Wind of Death, almost took over Halcyon City with an army of undead but was stopped by the first Nightblade.

Hanzo Hattori - The first Nightblade, retired but judgemental. Doesn't think Nightblade should be in the public eye.

King and Queen of Avalon - Sunbow's parents, open show disdain of her staying on Earth but still maintain contact and send her supplies.

Mr. Steel - Steelheart's father. Knows about and supports Steelheart even though Blink doesn't, got into an argument with her over it. Gives her a box of cookies every month.

Myrserinde, Elder - Older sister, has cloaked disdain for Sunbow staying on Earth.

Poseidon - The Water based villain that the Alchemist used to beat obedience into Cinder

Yuuko Hattori - Nightblade's sister, next in line but not chosen because she is too soft hearted and kind.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: +1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +2 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Bird's Nest Cafe

I took a small bite from the croissant in front of me as I sit back and relax with my friends. It had been a quiet day at school, all things considered, and I had managed to secure a decent score on the pop quiz in math. While I didn't have much natural aptitude for the subject as a whole, geometry was a different matter. The use of angles and impromptu measurements thereof were part and parcel to how I fought. How could I not do well? Of course, Audrey had suggested that we should start participating in another extracurricular activity before the school day was out. They were starting to pile up. Honestly, I've already forgotten what it was she wanted me to do this time... I suppose I'll simply have to agree if she brings it up and hope for the best. I can't exactly admit that I wasn't paying attention when she told me about it.

The breaking news catches my eye. The timing of this report is fantastic. Not that I wish for more crime, far from it, but it will be an excellent opportunity to impress some of the more established heroes in the city and develop our team's reputation. Also, I know my grandfather is still somewhat upset with me and Cinder over that whole 'slug monster' incident. The Hunter, his appearance aside, is a truly fearsome foe. I'd heard the stories from my father's skirmishes with him, of course, but he had even butted heads with my grandfather. The fact that he was still a career criminal and active after a confrontation with the first Nightblade suggested that we shouldn't take him lightly. That made him the perfect quarry to impress my family with.

The most iconic encounters between the second Nightblade and The Hunter would have to be those stemming from his attempts to hunt Starbolt. He went through a phase where he claimed to have exhausted all worldly challenges and turned his sights on the stars. As an alien princess of some renown and, of course, a beloved hero of the city, Starbolt caught his eye. His plots were myriad and strangely effective. I had honestly thought many of the stories of his usage of rope snares and large-bore weaponry to be exaggerated. Apparently not. Despite his surfeit of power compared to the likes of Nucleon, the Silver Savior, and the Nightblade, he refused to give up and fought them time and again.

I hook a thumb at the screen, "See that? The Hunter? He's a pretty big deal. Tangled with a lot of heroes over the years and he's still out there. The way I figure it, the threat of hostages is his main strength right now. If a couple of us sneak in and release them, he's not going to be able to keep the authorities out and fight off the rest of us at the same time." I look over to Audrey, "What do you think?

Nightblade, The Legacy posted:


Hero Name: Nightblade
Real Name: Hattori Kouzai (服部 光在)
Mask: Legacy
Look: Man, Asian, Traditional Clothing, Cloaked in Shadows, Symbol Insignia
High Concept: Magic Ninja Batman, secretly wishes he was Brave and the Bold Batman

Abilities: Shadow Control, Shadow Portals, Shadow Cloak Stealth

The Iga School of Ninjutsu allows the Hattori clan to command the very shadows that criminals cling to. An expert ninja can create their weapons and tools from the very shadows themselves, move unseen through the realm of shadows, and, indeed, in the realm of man. Nightblade has yet to master using the shadows as extensions of his senses or to cloud the minds of those who do see him.

Labels
Freak +1
Danger -1
Savior +2
Superior +0
Mundane +1

Moves
Fight the good fight: When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll +Savior instead of +Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe.

Words of the past: When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential.

Legacy
Your legacy is an important part of Halcyon City.

Name the different members of your legacy (at least two):
The Second Nightblade, Hattori Akira, is healing from dire injuries, but intends to return to duty.
The First Nightblade, Hattori Hanzo, is retired and quite judgmental.
Hattori Yuuko is the next possible member of your legacy.
The Wind of Death, Kotaro Fuuma, is the greatest opponent your legacy ever faced...and is still at large.

Whenever time passes, roll + Savior to see how the members of your legacy feel or react to your most recent exploits. Before rolling, ask the other players to answer these questions about your performance. Take -1 to the roll for each “no” answer:
- have you been upholding the traditions of your legacy?
- have you maintained the image of your legacy?
- have you made the other members of your legacy proud?
On a hit, one of them offers you meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage. On a 7-9, another is upset with your most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known. On a miss, something you did stirred up the hornet’s nest—expect several members of your legacy to meddle with your life.

Moment of Truth
This is the moment when you prove how much the mantle belongs to you. You seize control of all your powers, and you defeat even impossible odds to prove you are worthy of the name you carry. You accomplish feats even your predecessors couldn’t do. Of course, after you prove something like that, you can expect still more responsibilities to be placed on your shoulders...

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them whether you see them as an
equal. If you do, give them Influence over you and mark potential. If you don’t, shift Superior up
and any other Label down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your legacy
(including your own true feelings about it) to clear a condition and give them Influence over you.

When our team first came together...
All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Relationships
You once got caught doing something that shames your legacy with Cinder.
You trust Steelheart and told them an important secret of your legacy.

Influence
You’re a part of this team, for better or worse, and you care what they think. Give Influence to all
of your teammates.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Bird's Nest Cafe (Mood Music)

This is so awesome.

If you had told me a few months ago that I'd actually be a part of an actual superhero team, I'd very politely tell you to stop raising my hopes up, and yet, here I am, in a group with an awesome mystical shadow ninja, en elf princess who's also my best friend, and a super badass girl who can control flames! And they made me their leader! Er, sorta. Cinder didn't really care all that much, but Lauren and Kouzai seem to have enough faith in me! We even have our own base! Kinda! It's cool that my dad let's us use the cafe's basement as a temporary base until we find a better one, and it's even cooler of him to give us free drinks and snacks when we meet up. Dad makes the best coffee.

Still, just because I'm the leader now doesn't mean I get to slack off. I need to train even harder now so I don't fall behind. I like to keep myself constantly active, which is why I involve myself in as many school activities as I can, and just today I signed up me and Kouzai for the martial arts club so we can spar at school, too. I'm sure he won't mind me signing him up without telling him.

I take a sip of my coffee as I watch the news unfold. Wow, talk about the perfect opportunity! If we can take out The Hunter and his men, and save those hostages, then that'll be the boost we need to our reputation, and maybe I can impress Kouzai, too! He's just so cool, and he's way more of a hero than I am, if I'm being honest. I still remember how shocked I was when he voted me as team leader. I thought for sure that he'd be the one leading us, but he declined. I hope I don't let him down.

I listen to what he has to say about The Hunter, and nod, "Focusing on getting the hostages out first is a good idea. I think you, with your whole shadow magic thing, and me, with my phasing thing, can sneak in and help them get out." I tap a finger on my chin as I work out the rest of the plan in my head, "It might help if one of causes a distraction, and take their focus away from the hostages, but that might be a little tricky." I look at the rest of my team, "Thoughts?"

Steelheart, The Beacon posted:


Hero Name: Steelheart
Real Name: Audrey Steel
Mask: Beacon
Look: woman, white, tough face, simple clothing, flashy costume

Abilities
Martial Arts - Audrey has a black belt in Aikido, and is able to use the techniques she learned in combat… most of the time.
Phasing - The closest thing she has to a superpower. Steelheart can make her body intangible, letting her pass through physical matter. She can make any object or person she comes in contact with intangible as well.

Labels
Freak -1
Danger -1
Savior +3
Superior +0
Mundane +2

Moves
❑❑ Suck it, Domitian: When you stand strong while dramatically under fire, roll + Savior instead of + Danger to directly engage a threat.

❑❑ Won’t let you down: When you help a teammate, you can spend 2 out of the Team pool to add +2 to their roll.

Moment of Truth
This is the moment when you show them exactly why you belong here. You do any one thing, take out any one enemy, no matter how insane, no matter how ridiculous, because that’s you. Their jaws are gonna drop when you’re done. Of course, pulling off a stunt like this tends to bring unwanted attention and a dangerous reputation...

Drives
- make out with a teammate
- take down a threat all on your own
- reject someone who tells you “you shouldn’t be here"
- pull off a ridiculous stunt

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how they’re awesome and add a Team to the pool. If they tell you how you’re awesome in return, add another Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it mark Angry and shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice.

When our team first came together…
We found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?

Relationships
Sunbow is awesome, and you take every chance you get to hang out with them.
You’ve got to prove yourself to Nightblade before you feel like a real hero.

Influence
You are so excited to be here. Give Influence over you to three of your teammates.

Background

• How did you gain your skills?
Training. Lots and lots of training. I spent years getting myself into shape, and honing my hand-to-hand skills. I might not have much in the way of powers, but that never stopped me from working as hard as I possibly can.

As for the whole phasing thing? I’ve been able to do that for as long as I can remember. When I was younger, my body would react to danger by turning intangible, and I’ve never been able to control when my body phases until a few years ago, when I finally managed, after months of trying, to gain control of my powers.

• When did you first put on your costume?
Oh! Do you like my costume!? Oh man, I spent months working on it, and you wouldn’t believe how hard (and how EXPENSIVE) it was to make! I had to look all over the internet to find the right materials, and I spent like, all of my allowance on new sewing equipment, but it was SO worth it! I love making costumes, and this was my first attempt at making an original one that wasn’t just cosplay, so I’m glad it turned out as well as it did!

...Sorry, I know it’s probably weird to get all excited about a costume, but I worked so hard on it, and when I put it on for the first time, I- well, I felt like I could actually do it. I felt like I could actually be a real hero.

• Who, outside of the team, thinks you shouldn’t be a superhero?
My older sister, Cassie Steel, aka Blink. Sis was born with super speed, and she’s been in the hero business longer than I have. I admire my sister for all that she’s done for the city, but I really wish she would stop treating me like a child. She’s constantly trying to discourage me from being a hero, telling me it’s “too dangerous,” and how "someone like me” won’t be able to handle the bigger threats.

I know how dangerous it is, and I know my sister is just worried about me, but I’ve worked too hard over the years to give up now! I’ll show my sister, and everybody else who’s ever doubted me, that I can be just as much of a hero as she is, and I won’t need fancy powers to do it!

• Why do you try to be a hero?
I’ve always admired superheroes. I admire their strong sense of justice, and how they’re always willing to do the right thing, and I remember how much I wanted to be like them. I wanted to make a real difference in the world, like they do, so I trained. I trained as hard as I possibly can to be like the heroes I admire so much.

Being a hero has been my lifelong dream, and, after years of hard work, I’ve finally managed to achieve that dream. I’m a hero now, and I did it through years of hard work and dedication!

• Why do you care about the team?
They’re my friends, and they’re all so amazing! I’m lucky to be with a team that considers me an equal, despite my lack of powers, and I just love spending time with them! Each and every one of my teammates are special to me, and I’m confident we’ll be able to accomplish great things together as a team!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?




Cinder (Header coming soon!)
Danger: +2 | Freak: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: -1
Potential 0/5 | Conditions: None!

"A Unicorn?" I let out a small snort of amusement and then go back to eating my donut and watching the news curiously. "Well, if it's a Unicorn they want to hunt, bringing The Bullet was a good choice, he'll have it lured out in seconds." You know what they say about unicorns, after all! Finishing that donut and then another one, I look up at Steelheart, who is not the leader, but does have a pretty good plan. "Sunbow and I will be the distractions and focus on fighting the heroes. I don't know what Huntsman can do but neither of us will do much good at stealthily rescuing hostages. The Bullet isn't much of a threat, he just shoots bullets, though he has trick shots. You can tell if he's using them cause he'll pull out a smaller gun for it. He wasn't much a threat, I could burn up all of bullets but if he isn't packing some kind of water or fire-retardant bullets after our last fight, I'll be surprised. Either way, they both sound like ranged fights, so I'll try and get in close while Sunbow provides counter fire."

Another donut. "If we find a large open area without any animals I could probably set it alight to draw the attention in too."

quote:

Cinder, The Bull

Hero Name: Cinder
Real Name: Ella Rose
Look: woman, black, calloused hands, baggy clothing, no costume
Abilities: Someone or something changed you, made you into a perfect weapon:
Superhumanly tough: Cinder’s body can turn to flame, reflexively doing so when attacked, you can’t cut flames, you can’t punch fire. However, it’s also just tough enough to avoid being hurt by her own attacks.
Incredibly strong: The speed and power of a blazing inferno, Cinder can use bursts of flame to move faster and give her strikes the force of rockets (probably hyperbole, but are you going to test that?)
Uniquely skilled at fighting: Barely above average when it comes to fighting, Cinder’s real skill comes from the ability to create and manipulate fire, as well as her general immunity to it

Moves
You’ve got a head you don’t need: When you provoke someone with obvious threats and shows of force, roll + Danger instead of + Superior.

Punch everyone: Whenever you charge into a fight without hedging your bets, you can shift your Danger up and any other Label down.


The Bull’s Heart
You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that impresses your love or frustrates your rival.
Love: Nightblade
Rival: Sunbow

Choose a role you commonly fulfill for your love or rival:
Enabler: When you provoke your love or rival, roll + Danger if you are trying to provoke them to rash or poorly thought out action.

Labels
Danger: +2
Freak: +2
Savior: -1
Superior: +1
Mundane: -1

Moment of Truth
This is what you do best. You let loose, all the pent up strength and rage and glee, and you break whatever stands in your way. You are a walking demolition crew. What can stand up to you? Nothing. Not buildings. Not structures. Not enemies. Nothing. Of course, now the people who changed you know exactly where to find you...

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

Relationships
Nightblade is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.
Sunbow is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +2 | Dan: -1 | Sav: 0 | Sup: +2 | Mun: 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: - | Location: Cafe Basement

Being a hero is a lot of fun! There is the basement, where we are all socializing, I believe it is called hanging out, watch a 'TV' and I will circle back to that in a moment. Then there is the cafe above where I help sometimes - the customers are funny, Audrey's parents are such nice people, and it is amusing to have them tell me what to do, like 'Lauren people have to pay for their orders before you give them to them' and 'Lauren stop arranging the sprinkles on those muffins' - where I'm from nearly everyone bows when I'm near, so it is great fun that a hat and some sunglasses can make people think I am a human!

And then there is what we are seeing on the 'TV' - I told you I would circle back - a chance to be heroes! Floating just above the couch next to Audrey - I do not want to inflict any of the wear and and tear - while munching on an apple turnover, I have changed out of my work uniform back into my more comfortable native clothes. Humans like wearing both too much and too ugly of clothes, it is silly, so I am glad to be in my own garb again, and for this opportunity to oppose this Hunter and his squire Bullet's plans. They want to hurt a unicorn! Unicorns are smart and noble animals, only the truly reprehensible hunt them... so of course it is an Unseelie pasttime. They are the WORST, though this Hunter seems to be imitating them, which makes him... worser? Not quite worst, but close!

"I will be one of the distractions!" I announce happily after Cinder confirms her plan, floating just a little higher in the air at the two of us being partnered together for this - did Audrey do that on purpose? She is so sweet! "If this Bullet person is good at hunting unicorns, we must make sure that they are arrested! Unicorns are incredibly kind creatures, and they can talk too - they just usually choose not to." They can be somewhat standoffish. Levitating over towards the coffee table to deposit the plate I had been using, I move to retrieve my weapons from the corner of the room, grinning at my fellow heroes as I spin about, fully prepared for our upcoming quest. "Steelheart, I can carry you there if you want?"

quote:


Hero Name: Sunbow
Real Name: Laurënellannastasia (Lauren) Myrserindë, Second Princess of Avalon
Look: Woman, Sun Elf, Glowing Eyes, Glamorous Clothes, Magic Costume
Concept: Runaway Extradimensional Royal, Determined to be a Proper Hero

Abilities
Flight - Can fly about and levitate at will, skilled at fighting while doing so.
Toughness - Immortal, highly resistant to diseases and poisons, difficult to injure.
Heliokinesis - Can manipulate aspects of the sun, usually its light, and store its energy.
Enchanted Weapons - Bow and arrows, longsword, variety of bonuses on all.

Labels
Freak: +2
Danger: -1
Savior: 0
Superior: +2
Mundane: 0

Moves
Belong in Two Worlds
You have the resources that come with your station. Whenever you contact your people, roll + Superior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but your people make an uncomfortable demand of you. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
- receive a useful piece of alien technology that will allow you to use any ability from another playbook once (choose the ability when you spend the hold)
- consult your people’s knowledge to ask the GM a question about the current situation
- clear a condition through the comfort of contact with your home

Alien Tech
When you alter a human device with your alien technology, roll + Freak. On a hit, you create a device that can do something impossible once and then fizzle. When you roll a 10+, choose one:
- it works exceptionally well
- you get an additional use out of it
On a miss, the device works, but it has a completely unintended side effect that the GM will reveal when you use it.

The Best Of Them
When you comfort or support someone by telling them how they exemplify the best parts of Earth, roll + Freak instead of +Mundane.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, take Influence over them if you show them meaningful affection, physical or emotional. They decide if it’s meaningful.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, they tell you what you should do to fit in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark potential if you do

When our team first came together...
We didn’t trust each other at first, but that changed. How? Why?

Relationships
You’ve been learning about Earth by spending time with Steelheart.
You have a crush on Cinder but you keep it under wraps.

Influence
If you’re cheerful, you’re thrilled to be here. Give everyone Influence over you.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Bird's Nest Cafe (Mood Music)

Oh my gosh! They actually agree with my plan! I wasn't sure if it was any good or not, but they all seem to think that it's a good idea. "Sure, that'd be great!" I say to Lauren when she mentions flying me there.

"Alright, Youngbloods!" I stand, looking as determined as I possibly can, and pump my fist, "Let's go save that unicorn and those people, and kick some supervillain butt!"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Having come up with a plan, the four of you head off to the zoo as quickly as you can. You can see it's surrounded by police, but they haven't gone in yet. The armed guys working for The Hunter are watching the entrances and presumably other places you might enter. You'll probably have to deal with that if you want to get in unnoticed. Pretty easy to get in noticed though.

Cinder: Do you want to wait while the others set up? You could probably just go in right now. What do you do?

Nightblade and Steelheart: How do you guys plan to get in without being noticed? What do you do?

Sunbow: What's your plan for getting noticed without letting the villains know something's up? You do look pretty unusual compared to everyone else here. What do you do?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: The Zoo

Alright, here we are. I'm a little nervous, but that's normal. As long as we stick to the plan, things should turn out well... hopefully.

I pull out my phone, and start typing in the group chat I've created for us. We, uh, couldn't exactly afford actual communicators, so this is the closest thing we've got for now. I just hope Lauren remembers how to use her phone...

The Youngbloods! posted:


Steelheart: alright gang. you all remember the plan?

Steelheart: nightblade will use his shadow powers to get us in unnoticed

Steelheart: once we're in, sunbow and cinder will create a distraction

Steelheart: we'll try to get the hostages out fast while they're distracted

Steelheart: if anything goes wrong (and hopefully it doesn't), we'll switch focus on taking out the bad guys as fast as possible

Steelheart: remember; the safety of the civilians come first

Steelheart: that should be it

Steelheart: good luck, team!!!!

I close my phone, and turn my head to look at Nightblade, "Alright, ready to go?"

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at Apr 30, 2017 around 00:22

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?




Cinder (Header coming soon!)
Danger: +2 | Freak: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: -1
Potential 0/5 | Conditions: None!

"Er, no Sunbow he's good at hunting unicorns because he's a virgin." Is... that not actually true? "Well, that's what they say around here, about unicorns. It was a joke." Oh well. Off we go, and I'm holding tight to Nightblade as we fly over. I sort of wish I'd ended up on the hostage team because flying Nightblade over was pretty great, but letting him down and heading off with Sunbow to circle a bit of the way around the zoo was rather less nice. Still, at least we get the fun job, of fighting two villains at the same time.

quote:

You don't have to tell us the plan again Steelheart, we were all there when we came up with it

And yeah, I could fly over right now and start it, but we don't want to start things off before they're ready to start freeing hostages... wait a second, what if Bullet or The Hunter is in with the hostages?! Crap! "Sunbow, we need to make sure The Hunter and Bullet aren't with the hostages, or Nightblade and Steelheart are going to be in trouble! Fly up and see if you can scout em, I'll get ready to start the distraction at the gate!"

Not a provoke!

GodFish fucked around with this message at Apr 30, 2017 around 01:40

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: +1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +2 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Halcyon City Zoo

I nod resolutely, "Let's do this." A thought occurs to me as my phone dings and jingles incessantly for several moments. "Wait, can you show me how to silence my phone again?" After Steelheart shows me the proper button to push, I place it back into my pocket and place a hand on her shoulder, "Thank you. Now, from what I saw, the authorities haven't identified the location of the hostages. I do, however, have a plan. By traveling through the shadows, we can quickly reconnoiter the grounds from a position of stealth and find a position to assault the guards."

I grin, "Just hold tight and close your eyes, alright? I'd hate to lose you in the shadows."

We sink into the shadows and, in a moment, are gone without a trace. It's a strange experience to travel between them, one that words have difficulty doing justice. Suffice to say that one of the many points the Hattori clan's training focuses on is the mental techniques necessary to resist any temptations to abandon the path. The tricks used are myriad. Voices or visions of loved ones, attacks from phantom foes, and things far stranger still. We emerge at various points to gather our bearings and locate the group, but soon enough are hidden in the shadows near the hostages!

quote:

2:47 PM <Tricky> Nightblade unleashes some shadow portals!
2:47 PM <Tricky> !r 2d6+1
2:47 PM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 9+1 = 10

Nightblade and Steelheart successfully infiltrate the building with the hostages!

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +2 | Dan: -1 | Sav: 0 | Sup: +2 | Mun: 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: - | Location: The Zoo

Once we have arrived and split into our teams, Cinder and I head towards the edge of the zoo, and she suggests that I fly up overhead and scout the place out - which is exactly what I wanted to do! This is glorious. Cinder and myself will make an amazing team, she will get to see how much fun I can be while still being good at heroics (I suspect that she thinks I am not sometimes), and I will get to examine the zoo! My family has something like this, but we call it a Menagerie. Also ours is in a castle and much bigger, but I am still very excited by the prospect of seeing all these Earthly creatures - oh, and stopping the bad guys and succeeding in our quest.

Bow over my shoulder and sword on my hip, I give Cinder a grin as I start to float upwards. "I will look overhead, and keep them busy if they spot me!" Suddenly having a good idea, I add "I will pretend that I am very interested in viewing the zoo animals, so they do not know we are cooking their gooses as a team." I believe that is the phrase. Giving her a final wave as I head off into the sky, it is time to notice what I can about this place!

<Rauri> Unleash Flight to Extend Senses
<Rauri> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 10+2 = 12
In hindsight this might just be an assess, in which case asking the following: What here can I use to free the unicorn, how can we best end this quickly, and who here is vulnerable to me?

Rauri fucked around with this message at May 1, 2017 around 05:35

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


A serious of panels depict Steelheart and Nightblade traversing the shadows, Sunbow flying above the zoo looking for useful information, and Cinder on the ground, waiting for the right time for a distraction to be unleashed.

You have 2 team to start with as you enter a battle against a dangerous foe. Steelheart doesn't have Influence over everyone, but everyone does share the same purpose in the fight which adds 1 to the Team pool.

Current Team: 3

Steelheart and Nightblade: The two of you go through the shadows. What do each of you see or hear? Regardless, you end up in the shadows in a building where the hostages are being kept. Looks like a cafeteria for the visitors. The two of you seem to be really hidden from the villains here, you have some time to look around if you want. What do you do?

Sunbow: Flying above the zoo, you notice a couple of things:

First, you notice someone who looks like they work here, gathered by the uniform and the fact that they're being questioned by The Hunter himself. Seems like they want to try to find out where the unicorn is too. If you could get this man's help, he'd most likely tell you where the unicorn is.

Second, of the caged animals are just casually walking around near the entrance to their exhibit. If you let them out and got them riled up, they'd probably be a huge distraction and something the villains would need to deal with. That has a pretty big chance of going badly though, do you think it's worth it?

Of course, you floating around trying to find this out has attracted the attention of the armed henchmen keeping patrol. "Hey! Hey!" One of them yells at you, pointing his weapon at you. "Get down here!" Despite the threats and weapons aimed at you, you can tell they aren't taking you to be a huge threat. You did just fly over in plain view of them after all. You could capitalize on it, start attacking them after looking like you're going to follow their orders. What do you do?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +2 | Dan: -1 | Sav: 0 | Sup: +2 | Mun: 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: - | Location: The Zoo

Oh wow, this zoo is amazing! We should come here as a team later - or maybe just Audrey and me (or Cinder and me~). It is so educational and fun from what I can tell, and I want to pet the animals already - there are restaurants, and shops with trinkets depicting animals I very much want, oh and cotton candy! I have only had it once but it is glorious.

Also there are people pointing guns at me, which is somewhat distressing. Luckily they are probably not using cold iron, so I am probably fine, but even still not what I exactly wanted - I was looking at the animals! Floating down towards the surface, I pretend to surrender, seemingly extremely confused as I look around at all the guards, clearly not threatening them. "Yes, I am down here now - what is next?" I am not really sure they expected me to seemingly surrender to them - nobody here looks like they were ready to take an Elven Princess into custody, which works to our advantage.

I am too nice for them to be mean too, especially with how cooperative I am being. "Is this place closed? I had thought this was Business Hours, was I wrong?" Suddenly grinning, I clap my hands together, as if I have realized several things. "Oh, are you all here to take me on a tour?! Wonderful!"

I beam at the gang, not a hard thing for me to do. "Can I please speak to your manager first though? I want to register a complaint." That is an Earthly phrase that means they will soon bring me to the Hunter - many people have said that to me in the cafe after I have learned things about Earth, though most were mad while I happen to be smiling profusely, and it means they will show me to their boss since I am being nice. My friends will surely use this opportunity to enact their parts Steelheart's plan!

<Rauri> !r 2d6+3 Provoke Minions to Take Me To Your Leader
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 4+3 = 7
Guessing their response is "let us disarm you first", which Lauren will agree to. +1 on Assess from realizing these guys are vulnerable to me via previous prompt.

Rauri fucked around with this message at May 1, 2017 around 07:21

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Current Team: 3

Sunbow: Some of them look a little confused, and a few even lower their weapons. They start talking amongst themselves. "Uh, should we take her?" "No, what if it's some kind of trick?" "She just flew over and wants to talk to the manager and she's clearly not a human. Maybe she doesn't know what's going on?" They're not sure what to do now. What do you do?

Take +1 forward to act against them

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: +1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +2 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Halcyon City Zoo

The trip between is always a challenge of the heart. Fortunately for me, it is one where the temptations are known. I heard the voice of my mother calling out for me, as well as inviting visions of a warm home. I had never truly known her. She died when I was young. Far too young to remember. My father did not speak of what had become of her, but... Well, I had my suspicions that it had to do with the shadows. Steelheart's ever-tightening grip around my shoulders and chest helped anchor me as much as my training. I hope that she does not see anything too disturbing.

As we finally emerge into the deep shadows of the cafeteria building, I feel Steelheart still pressed up against my body. She is... very, very close to me. It is not an unwelcome feeling, but this seems hardly the time nor the place to engage in such displays. I silently rest my hand on hers, both in reassurance and to signal our arrival, while I scan the room. It seems that the distraction has not yet begun, given the lack of excitement or other overt signs of tension in the building, so it is still too early to begin the rescue. Perhaps this is advantageous. It should allow us to defuse this hostage situation with minimal risks to either the civilians or to the members of the Youngbloods.

quote:

10:41 AM <Tricky> Nightblade assesses the situation!
10:41 AM <Tricky> !r 2d6
10:41 AM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 8 = 8

What here is in the greatest danger?

Tricky fucked around with this message at May 3, 2017 around 20:20

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Current Team: 3

Nightblade: Taking a look around you can see that even when the distraction goes down, there's enough henchmen guarding here that they'll still be able to keep an eye on the hostages - probably something The Hunter and Bullet might have foreseen. It'd be a good idea to stay here and make sure they're safe when that happens. What do you do?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: The Zoo

"Ah!" I close my eyes, and hang on to Nightblade as he takes me with him through the shadows. I try my best to ignore the voices, but it's... hard. I hear a soft, elderly voice call out to me. Granny? But I thought you passed away? What was that? You want me to join you for coffee? But granny, I'm on an important mission. I'm a hero now, just like you and Cassie! It'll just be for a few minutes? Well, in that case, I suppose I could- NO! That is NOT my granny's voice! Granny would never tell me to stray away from the path! I don't care how much you sound like her, you're not my granny! You're not- Huh? Is someone touching my hand?

I cautiously open one eye up, and that's when I've noticed two things: One, we're not in the shadow realms anymore (Thank God), and two, I... am clinging on very tightly to Nightblade. My head is practically buried in his chest. His... incredibly well-toned, chiseled chest...

"U-um!" I quickly let go of him. My face is incredibly flushed right now. Alright, Steelheart, get your head back in the game. Things might've gotten a little awkward, sure, but you've got a mission to do, and a team to lead! Stop thinking about Nightblade's abs, and focus on what you came here to do!

I pull out my phone again, and send Cinder and Sunbow the signal.

The Youngbloods posted:


Steelheart: we're in!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Danger: +2 | Freak: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: -1
Potential 1/5 | Conditions: None!

I wave Sunbow off and now I just have to hope she actually does that and doesn't mess up. Nothing I can do to make sure though, so I just move along the wall back towards the front gate. I figure that's the best spot to make a distraction, gather all the guards there. If some head off towards the hostages hopefully they'll run into Sunbow and not make it there. Just got to wait for the signal.

And wait.

Aaaaaaand wa-oh here it is! Alright!

As soon as the message arrives I slip my phone away and blast up into the air, perching on top of the large ornate gate entrance to the zoo, flames billowing off me. "Things are about to get hot, so now's your chance to surrender if you want it!" I yell out to the henchmen and then immediately yell, "too late!" Gathering up a ball of fire into my fist, I leap off the gate and rocket down to the ground, slamming my fist into the road and sending torrents of fire blasting up around us.

[18:28:26] <GodFish> directly engage henchmen
[18:28:49] <GodFish> !r 2d6+2
[18:28:49] <Krysmbot> GodFish, 3+2 = 5
[18:29:08] <GodFish> ehhh I'll take it

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +2 | Dan: -1 | Sav: 0 | Sup: +2 | Mun: 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: - | Location: The Zoo

While these bad guys debate things, I am fiddling with the phone that my teammates provided to me. It is very confusing sometimes - I always end up calling the people I did not mean to - but I have figured out how to read the Text Messages by now. Audrey has sent a bunch, and I must respond to update everyone on my status!

txt to Team posted:

I have spotted the unicorn and the Hunter!
Oh and there are some minions here.
Cinder and I will distract them now.
We should come to the zoo sometime, this place is great!

Putting my phone back into my pocket, Cinder seems to have sprung into action, flinging her flames and sending the bad guys running as she does - it is sooo amazing! I cannot let her or my friends down, and now is the time for me to show what I can do! "Ha! I do know what is going on," I declare triumphantly to the villains, drawing my sword since we are in close quarters.

Starting to drift off the ground, the sun shines off my blade as I level it towards these servants of our true enemy. "And I am going to stop you all!" With that super good line, if I do say so myself, I dart into the fray as well, trying to chop up guns and knock these guys out with the flat of the blade - I do not want to hurt anyone! That said, I do want to help Cinder out!

<Rauri> This is gonna go great - Sunbow Directly Engage, +1 Forward
<Rauri> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 5 = 5
<Rauri> yuuup
Edit: Actually a 6 due to assess, but still a failure. Spending a point of team to help Cinder. If this /does/ succeed, picking take something from them (their weapons).

Rauri fucked around with this message at May 6, 2017 around 09:21

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Current Team: 2

Cinder: These guys are a bit sharper then your average henchmen - once you get up and yell they immediately look up and some fire at you as you come down.

Roll to take a powerful blow

But you slam down and several of them are knocked off their feet, thanks to Sunbow jumping in to help you out. Do you appreciate her help? Meanwhile, one of them is yelling into a communicator, "We have heroes outside! Send some help right now!" They seem pretty freaked out at least. What do you do?

Sunbow: Are you really fine with Cinder just jumping in and possibly ruining the element of surprise for you? Regardless, as some of them fall the other henchmen turn to you. You hear one of them shout, "Take her down first!" Some shots ring out from enemies whose guns you haven't cut and a few of them back off to give the others aiming in a better shot. What do you do?

Nightblade and Steelheart: The two of you hear the sounds of fighting from outside, along with the shouting from someone on a communicator. A couple of the people here leave, but there's still some guarding the hostages. Plus, you don't know where Bullet is. What do you two do?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: +1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +2 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Halcyon City Zoo

Nightblade looked at Steelheart and murmured, "I'll take care of the guns. Keep an eye out for Bullet, alright? We can't let anyone get hurt on our watch. If this goes as planned, you might even be able to get them out of here right away. You'll know when to move."

He waited for a few seconds as the remaining guards milled around in confusion, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. With a thumbs-up to his teammate, Nightblade sank into the shadows. That was about the time all hell broke loose. Shurikens and kunai, almost invisible against the backdrop of the shadows, sprayed out with incredible precision. For a moment, the only sounds were guns clattering across the floor and a soft swear that cut across the room.

Nightblade stepped from the shadows, standing atop a large light in the center of the room. He stood, the shadows rippling around him in a manner reminiscent of water, then said, "Those who would prey on the weak should fear the shadows! Nightblade, iza mairu!" As he assumed the pose that accompanied the entrance that his father had used for countless years of heroics, he was struck by a brief moment of self-consciousness. Nobody did entrances like that anymore. Not anyone of his generation, anyways.

quote:

5:52 PM <Tricky> Nightblade does the shadowy thing! (Directly Engage, +1 from Assess)
5:52 PM <Tricky> !r 2d6+3
5:52 PM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 7+3 = 10

Taking their guns and creating an opportunity for Steelheart!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Current Team: 2

Nightblade: The guards all stare dumbfounded for a moment, wondering what exactly is going on. They can't even fire back, because their weapons are on the floor. Not without you being able to attack them again anyway. They stand there, unsure of what o do. But then, suddenly the gray door to a nearby large fridge bursts open and Bullet, doing a very quick and graceful roll from the crouching position he was in, pulls out a gun and begins to fire on you.

If Steelheart doesn't do something, roll to take a powerful blow.

Steelheart: Well, Nightblade has their attention. But now Bullet is firing on him! Are you going to take this moment to help the hostages or Nightblade?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +2 | Dan: -1 | Sav: 0 | Sup: +2 | Mun: 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: - | Location: The Zoo

Clothes and hair and sword glittering in the sunlight, it is clear to me that these minions have never had to deal with a royally trained swordswoman before. They are wielding guns, which I have come to understand since I arrived in this world... but I am wielding a magic sword. I call it Seventh Star (in English anyways, its true name is so long I will not recount it now) and it is carving through their chosen weapons effortlessly. "Wait, why me first?" I ask, ducking under some gunfire as I soar towards another one of the villains' guards, slicing his gun as I pass by. "Rude!"

As they start to aim at me and Cinder meets opposition, it seems wise to regroup with her - we are a team for this, and we will do better together! Sheathing my blade as I take off into the sky above where my fire-elemental-friend is fighting, I draw my bow with practiced speed while I evade their attacks - bullets are so much faster than arrows and most magics, it is really difficult - and start laying down cover for her. "Cinder, I hope you are well!" I call out to her, managing to smile briefly at her between pulling arrows from the enchanted quiver over my shoulder. "We should not damage this zoo too much, it seems very interesting!"

These lackeys seem determined to bar our way to the true villains opposing our quest, and to try and hurt my wonderful friend Cinder - I will not allow them to do this! Darting about in middair and firing down upon them with practiced grace and magic arrows, I know there is no way they will be able to hurt her with me watching out overhead!

<Rauri> Sunbow Defend Cinder vs Henchmen
<Rauri> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 9+1 = 10
Cinder's defended for this round, time for some covering fire~ Adding a team to the pool

Rauri fucked around with this message at May 9, 2017 around 06:15

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: The Zoo

"Nightblade!" I rush to him as fast as I can when I see Bullet shooting at him. I grab his arm, and phase the both of us, causing the bullets to go through our intangible bodies. Phew, that was way too close.

...Oh! Right! The hostages! I was so focused on helping Nightblade that I almost forgot about them! I quickly let go of his nice, strong arm, and say, "Well, I guess we know where he is now. Do you think you can handle him while I try to get the hostages out of here?"

quote:

<Hugzilla> Steelheart is going to defend Nightblade! (+1 from influence)
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+4
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 11+4 = 15

Adding a team to the pool!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Current Team: 3

Steelheart: As you make Nightblade and yourself intangible, Bullet stops firing. He catches onto what you're doing rather quickly.

"Ah, so you're one of those heroes with a possibly vaguely useful power that might sort of maybe come in handy? I assume that's why he was trying to get everyone's attention. So you could have something to do." He has a helmet on, but you get the idea that he's grinning behind it. "And what else can you do? You going to walk through a table at me? Or more likely, you're going to leave it to the actual hero here to take care of?" He makes a vague motion at Nightblade. Do you accept what he's saying?

If you accept, shift Freak up and Savior down. Otherwise, roll to reject his Influence

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Danger: +3 | Freak: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: -2
Potential 1/5 | Conditions: Angry, Insecure

[00:55:35] <GodFish> cinder, powerful blow
[00:55:37] <GodFish> !r 2d6
[00:55:39] <Krysmbot> GodFish, 8 = 8
Taking Insecure and Angry


Oh please, bullets? They haven't been a threat since I started out, I mean, take a gun and go shoot at a bonfire, see how much damage you can do to it. It's like that, no a thr-"youch!" I let out a small and completely unintentional yelp as one of the bullets passing through my fiery body leaves a trail of pain - not at the level as if I'd actually been shot, obviously, but it definitely wasn't a normal bullet. My fireball slam doesn't even go off right because I ended up grabbing my side mid-plunge, and it's only because of Sunbow joining in that I even hit most of these guys with the fire spurts. Uuuugh, this is not going off to a good start!

Furious with myself slash Sunbow slash them, I erupt up from the ground, glaring around at my opponents and rocket forward, catching the nearest gunner with a flaming lariat. I'm going to find whoever had that special ammo - is it Bullet? I didn't see him - and get some payback!

[01:17:06] <GodFish> directly engage henchmen
[01:17:09] <GodFish> !r 2d6+3
[01:17:09] <Krysmbot> GodFish, 8+3 = 11
taking their guns from them, create an opportunity for Sunbow


With Sunbow giving me covering fire from her arrows, at least I don't need to worry about them shooting me with another one of those, so I can go all out, bursting jets of flame out from the lariat arm to spin in a circle, fire rippling out in a spiral wave from my arm and filling the area. It isn't hot enough to cause say, serious burns, but it is hot enough - and wide enough - to ignite any gunpowder they have on them, causing a nice series of explosions from their guns. That, along with the still persistent flames filling the area should give Sunbow plenty of time to fill them fuller of arrows from above.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +2 | Dan: -1 | Sav: 0 | Sup: +2 | Mun: 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: - | Location: The Zoo

Ahhhhhhhhh! Cinder is hurt! She is... well, seemingly fine now, but she clearly WAS hurt, and that is what matters here. These people have gone too far, by royal decree! Exactly out of range of Cinder's attack, for a moment or two I am too distracted by the marvelous attack to pay attention to what I am doing, continuing to drift in midair with bow in hand and staring at the sequence of explosions she has set off. "Wow! So cool!" Remembering myself, I give her a wink and my most winning smile. "I mean, so hot!" Her attacks are fire and not cold after all, she will think I am confused again if identify her elemental allegiance incorrectly!

The minions that have not already been defeated are scurrying about in the flames, and I hate to do the 'jinxing', but they are too easy to shoot. I switch from physical arrows to bolts of pure light, so as to make sure everyone I hit survives this - I do not want to kill any of them, even if they are extremely bad people. Soaring high above and with them channeled by the narrows streets of this place and Cinder's lingering flames, I am both out of sight and they are all perfectly out of position. I have used a bow since I was able to walk, I can - but never would - shoot the wings off a pixie with a single shot, and they are within my sights. This is no challenge at all.

While these minions of our true foe are distracted, I strike. "Hey evil guardsmen - Cinder watch out! Radiant Volley!" That is all the warning I am giving them - they hurt Cinder after all - and a split second after I do, I release the drawstring on my bow, loosing a volley of solar energy directly into each of them - oddly enough given my luminescent attack, it is time for the Lights Out for them.

Directly Engage Henchmen: 2d6+1 12
Picking resist or avoid their blows and impress, surprise, or frighten the opposition. +1 from assess and +1 from Cinder's opportunity, though neither ended up actually mattering.

Rauri fucked around with this message at May 13, 2017 around 10:18

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: The Zoo

Bullet's mocking words cause me to go silent. I wish I could say his words didn't affect me, but they do, a little.

I've been told, time and time again, by so many different people, that I'm not a "real" hero. I'm just a regular girl pretending to be one. I have powers, sure, but they're so small and limited, and a little useless when it comes to an actual fight. I've been told I should give up on this "silly" dream of mine, and let the "actual" heroes do the "real" work. All I'm ever going to do is get in the way. After all, what could a "normie" like me do?

Heck with that!

Sure, I might not have any fancy powers, but that doesn't make me any less of a hero! It's about heart, and having a strong sense of justice! And right now, my justice is telling me to take this two-bit thug down!

"...Nightblade, there's going to be a slight change of plans," I let go of his arm, and stand in between him and Bullet, "You go get the hostages out of here," I go into my fighting stance, and narrow my eyes at bullet, "I'm going to show this punk how much a hero with a "vaguely useful power" can do."

quote:

<Hugzilla> Rejecting Bullet's influence!
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 8 = 8

Cancelling his influence, and taking +1 forward against Bullet.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Current Team: 3

Sunbow and Cinder: Between Cinder hurling flames and Sunbow firing down bolts of light, the henchmen are done for. Those still up are fleeing the fight, trying to head elsewhere in the zoo. You sucessfully took them out...but there's a moment of silence and you realize nothing else is happening where you are right now. Neither The Hunter or Bullet are showing up, and when Sunbow looks back to where she saw the zoo employee, she can see The Hunter is no longer there - the man is by himself for some reason. What do you do?

Steelheart: Bullet scoffs. "Yeah, okay. Go ahead." He aims his gun at you. "This might not be much of a challenge, but it should still be fun taking you down." What do you do?

Bullet takes advantage of his Influence to give you -2 to your roll. If Nightblade doesn't help out then shift Freak up and Savior down, and mark a condition.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: +1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +2 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Halcyon City Zoo

Nightblade looked at Steelheart for a moment, then nodded, "Alright, I'll leave him to you." He started walking back towards the huddled hostages, stopping briefly to bop her on the shoulder with the side of his fist as he passed. "Show him your justice. It's not something so cheap that words like those can shake it, right?" A faint grin was visible through the shadows cloaking his features.

Nightblade boosts Steelheart's Reject back to a 7!

With that, he broke into a more determined pace. While he was certainly confident in Steelheart's martial abilities, the fact of the matter was that there were a number of people who might be seriously injured if a gunfight broke out inside. He gestured at the hostages, then at the door, "Everyone, follow me!" It was too risky to send them through the shadows, let alone the fact that it would take a number of trips. Still, it was dim enough that he should have plenty of shadows to shield their passage if the goons tried anything or Bullet started firing at them.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Beat-down city!

I nod at Nightblade. He's right; my justice is not so easily shaken. If it was, then there's no point in me being a hero in the first place. I became one so I can help people, and so I can stop people like him. People who trample all over the weak. People who only care about their own selfish gains. He's nothing but a big bully that needs to be taken down.

"My name is Steelheart!" I loudly declare, "The hero with a heart of steel! And I-" I point at him, "Will be the one who will bring you to justice!"

I charge forward, phasing through his bullets, and once I get close to him, I bring my arm back, "Ha!" and deliver a palm strike to his chest. I put enough force into the strike so he'd still feel it under all that armor. I don't stop there, I continue hitting him with a flurry of kicks and punches, and not giving him a chance to use those guns of his. He tries to get a punch in, but I dodge it, and hit him with an upwards palm strike, causing that helmet of his to rattle a little.

"What's wrong? I thought you said this wouldn't be "that much of a challenge?" Don't tell me you're actually having trouble fighting a "weak" hero like me?" I can't help but give a self-satisfied smirk. He goes in for another punch, but instead of dodging, I grab his arm, and use his momentum against him to toss him onto his back.

"There's no way you're winning this fight. I'd give up now, if I were you."

quote:

<Hugzilla> Steelheart is going to Directly Engage Bullet! (+1 forward)
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+4
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 7+4 = 11

• resist or avoid their blows
• impress, surprise, or frighten the opposition

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +2 | Dan: -1 | Sav: 0 | Sup: +2 | Mun: 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: - | Location: The Zoo

We were supposed to be a distraction but it did not seem to work... nevertheless, with all those minions defeated, I cannot help but be somewhat delighted. Cinder and I defeated them easily - that may not exactly have been our job, but still, the two of us worked together! I suspect she looks more favorably upon me now, and if it's even possible, I do upon her. I had known she was tough, but she is quite the Badass, as humans say!

Stowing my bow and drawing my sword again as most of our enemies seem to be defeated, I cannot spot either of the Main Villains here. I do, however, see the one person here that can help the unicorn. "I am going to go free the Zoowarden that can help the unicorn!" I declare to Cinder, beaming at her for just a second as I start to fly towards my destination.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Current Team: 2

Steelheart: "Maybe I will give up this fight." You can sense a sudden change in his voice - his armor may be protecting him from your blows (and might be a little hard on your fists), but you still prevented him from being able to attack back. And if he didn't have the armor, well...things might have gone differently. He doesn't seem so confident anymore. With a sudden burst of speed he rolls and pulls out a single use gun with his other hand. It's not aimed at you though - he's looking at the kitchen. The shot rings out and leaves a burning red glare as it streaks towards a fryer, filled with flammable oil. There's a brief moment of silence, and then an explosion. Fiery globs of oil splatter all over, and the fire begins to spread. The fryers next to the one that exploded go off soon afterward, making things even worse. While this is happening, Bullet stands back up having gotten a little bit of distance between the two of you. "But I'm not letting you win either, hero." What do you do?

Nightblade: The people saw Steelheart punching out the guy holding them hostage (even if it didn't hurt him that much) and with the guards too afraid to interfere they made no real effort to get out. But then Bullet sets the place ablaze, and panic begins to emerge from the crowd - including the people working with Bullet. They're about ready to just run out - in the process hurt each other or block the doorway or who knows what. What do you do?

Sunbow: You head over the the man, who is just sitting right where you last saw him. As you approach, you notice that he's not acknowledging your presence or even doing much other then...just sitting. Kind of odd. What do you do?

Cinder: What do you think of your victory here? Or how neither of the villains have shown up? What about you and Sunbow helping each other? Regardless, she's gone off to meet the man she thinks will help locate the unicorn. What do you do?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +2 | Dan: -1 | Sav: 0 | Sup: +2 | Mun: 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: - | Location: The Zoo

What else would I do? I approach the man, give him a wave, and then tap him on the shoulder - in that order, as I believe that is the custom in this world. "Hello new friend - I am Sunbow!" What a lucky day for him, and for me! Standing proud and sheathing my sword to assure him I mean no harm, the villain must have scared this man greatly. Tragic and lamentable, truly something The Youngbloods shall fix! "You know about where the Unicorn is, right?" He, he is not responding.

Hmm. Alright, it is time for the mild shaking. "I want to help it, please just tell me where it is and I can do my best to assist it escaping back to Faery!"

Rauri fucked around with this message at May 19, 2017 around 06:34

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Danger: +3 | Freak: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: -2
Potential 0/5 | Conditions: Angry, Insecure

Hmm. Not the most satisfying victory, since it was a bunch of henchmen, but not too bad! I have a small grin on my face as I jet up into the air near Sunbow to take a look around. No sign of The Hunter or Bullet, which means our diversion didn't grab either of the two important targets either. drat. Sunbow wants to go find the Unicorn, which is... fine, I guess. Not really the big concern here, but whatever. Leaves the important stuff for me to do! "Okay! It'll probably like you!" I call after her, smirking slightly, then touch back down onto the main zoo walkway and head off on foot until I get to one of the main intersections of various paths, helpfully forming a large paved area that I don't have to worry about accidentally lighting the zoo on fire from. "Alright hunter, let's see where you've got to..." Channel the fire up into my feet, I burst upwards, creating a billowing jet of flames pouring down and scorching the tiles of the ground, launching me high enough into the sky above the zoo I should be able to see everything.

[13:12:50] <GodFish> unleash powers
[13:12:53] <GodFish> !r 2d6+2
[13:12:54] <Krysmbot> GodFish, 5+2 = 7
its an assess, so that's a 6


"Oi, Sunbow! Did you see the Hunter earlier?" Cupping my hands around my mouth, I shout over to her.

GodFish fucked around with this message at May 26, 2017 around 01:44

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Freak: +1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +2 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Halcyon City Zoo

Nightblade sighed. Of course, they just wanted to sit tight and watch the fight. With the man who had a gun and a lot of bullets. Civilians. As much as the sudden fire and subsequent stampede for the door was a problem, it also proved the solution to his earlier worries. He simply needed to craft a few walls of shadow to funnel the mob appropriately and shield them from any fire - or bullets - that might draw too close.

He concentrated for a few moments and...

quote:

1:45 PM <Tricky> Nightblade defends the hostages! (+1 from assess)
1:45 PM <Tricky> !r 2d6+3
1:45 PM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 7+3 = 10

Adding a team to the pool!

Black barriers erupted out of the shadows, cordoning the hostages off from Bullet, Steelheart, and the guards. The heat from the fire and noise of the battle faded to a dull warmth and a muted buzz respectively. In a firm, commanding voice Nightblade added, "Listen up! We will protect you, but you need to do what I say! We'll make for the fences and I promise that I'll see you all to safety!"

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +2 | Dan: -1 | Sav: 0 | Sup: +2 | Mun: 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: - | Location: The Zoo

"He was where I am now, but I do not see him here!" I shout back to Cinder before returning my attention to the zookeeper.

Spending a point of Team to boost Cinder's roll.

Rauri fucked around with this message at May 26, 2017 around 03:43

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Danger: +3 | Freak: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: -2
Potential 0/5 | Conditions: Angry, Insecure

Well... that's somewhere to start, anyway. I focus my attention in the areas nearer to Sunbow, trying to spot the wayward Huntsman.

What here is the biggest threat, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Beat-down city!

"Ah!" Phew! It's a good thing I managed to phase through the explosion in time! Did he really have to set the whole place on fire!?

I need to finish this, fast, before the whole place burns down, but how? My knuckles are pretty bruised from punching his armor (Seriously, why did I think it was a good idea to punch a man in metal armor?), so I can't keep doing that. I need to take his armor away from him, somehow, but how? It's not like I could just phase him out of it, and I can't punch through it, either.

...Wait, his helmet! That's it! I just need to get rid of that helmet of his!

"I'm not letting you get away that easily!" I rush at Bullet again, making it look like I'm going to start punching him again, but instead, I phase right through him, and end up right behind him, catching him off-guard. I take advantage of the situation, and grab his helmet, and say "I don't think you'll be needing this anymore!" before I pull it out, taking his helmet away from him. Now I have something I can actually punch without breaking my hands!

quote:

<Hugzilla> Steelheart is going to engage bullet! Again!
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 5+3 = 8

Taking his helmet away from him!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«2 »