Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!

Kith posted:

Anyway congratulations you've made Gazlowe into a shittier Artanis, play accordingly and you should be fine

Oh wow, I wasn't expecting in-depth poo poo like this. :allears: I'll try it out.

Also I never tell people in-game what builds to use but I do tell Kael'Thas players that Mana Addict is the 1 true way. That's the only Strong Opinion I have about HotS. That, and that the Ana remake rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I am addicted to effortposts

Also Mana Addict is the only viable Level 1 talent for Kael, final

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Funny how you all misspell convection but I’ll forgive you

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006

Star posted:

Funny how you all misspell convection but I’ll forgive you

Convection is a trash talent for trash KTs. It encourages being risky and does nothing to help his weaknesses (ie he is a little baby wizard with a skillshot escape). Mana Addict gives you more mana, more survivability, and no one ever loving notices when you activate it.

also, put zenyatta in hots so we can actual lore about him :negative:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Karma Guard posted:

Convection is trash

i fixed your post

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
If you don't take convection you're admitting you're gonna die, and have mentally conceded defeat already

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Kith posted:

As a result, there are outdated design elements everywhere, and that's very distinctly not good. If Siege had been completely removed instead of depowered and all of the relevant characters and strategies were adjusted to accommodate, that'd be different, but instead we're stuck in a halfsies situation where we've got the worst of both worlds and nothing to show for it but a disillusioned playerbase.

I'll pick up on this point by saying that HotS had quite a few systems that were in various states of finished, but the thing that stood out the most was how they would release new heroes which incorporated their latest design philosophies and yet they would take forever to update older ones. And it wasn't just that the older designs could no longer compete in the meta of the day; those older designs were often simply less interesting or engaging to play. So at any one time a decent chunk of the roster was functionally or aesthetically obsolete, and while I never had any great ideas on how to solve this problem it used to really grate on me because while I generally approved of how their direction evolved over time I wanted the game to always be in its ideal best state.

I wanted HotS to have everything. I wanted all of the heroes and the maps to be maintained at the cutting edge of their latest design processes. I wanted it to be feature complete; I wanted it to have a spectator system on the main menu like Dota 2, and hero swaps, and a better reconnect system, hell, a better engine! I wanted it to have better marketing and a bigger eSports scene. And the reason I wanted all of that is because from the very first match I ever played I believed they'd created something very rare in gaming : they had made a game that was, at its core, genuinely fun to play. It was exciting to imagine where it would end up, how it might grow to compete with or even eclipse the two heavy hitters in its field. It certainly had the potential, but we all know how that ended up. And despite accepting the reality check fairly early on, I still believed it would continue to chug along in the background and gain momentum and one day it could have its moment in the sun. After all, Blizzard had proven time and again they were in it for the long haul. But now we all know Blizzard isn't the same company it used to be.

Still, I like to believe Blizzard realized they had something special on their hands with HotS. When it was first brought up at an early Blizzcon with a different name it was going to be a SC2 mod. At some point during that early development phase, though, they transitioned to a standalone game and invested in branching the SC2 engine. They had confidence in it, but unlike Overwatch, I presume it never had top-level executive backing and so while it was allocated a lot of resources it never really had that whole-of-company enthusiasm behind it. And perhaps that was a fair call for the boardroom to make, considering it was a latecomer to a genre dominated by two big players. Of course, we'll never really know what their intentions were for HotS. Did they just want to cash in with their own MOBA? Or did they really want to take on the titans? I feel like they did want to take them on, because pride, but they were never willing to spend what was needed to make it happen (and I'm not just talking about money).

And since I mentioned Overwatch, I'm going to get a bit "How about those clowns at Blizzard?" here, but hopefully not as much as they do in the Deathwatch thread. At some point before Overwatch and Hearthstone, Blizzard's guiding principle for creating games was 'make it accessible,' but after those two games it became 'make it prolific.' Was this because they were chasing that high from making ever more popular games, or was it because around that time the casual gaming market was exploding in popularity and they wanted their share, or was it an early sign of the corrupting (heh) influence of Activision?

Whatever the reason, I've always felt Overwatch is a good example of a game that made fundamentally bad design decisions up front and has been paying for it ever since (and thinking about all of the torturous ways they've tried to mitigate their failure only proves my point, to myself, with the latest example being the role queue). Blizzard wanted the holy trinity of tank/healer/DPS because it was familiar and because it meant that people who can't aim will stick around and play their FPS game, but they didn't do it properly like TF2 did and design the game around not-aiming, they wanted their hitscan characters too because that appeals to all of the people who can actually aim. They wanted to appeal to everyone, to make their game prolific, and it shows in other aspects too like the existence of the ult meter; every X minutes a less skilled player can level the playing field and defeat a better player by pushing a button (I'm generalizing here). It's the same reason Hearthstone's RNG was cranked up so highly : less skilled players will stick around if they can win every now and then against better players. And while I think HS eventually got the balance right and it's a better game than I give it credit for (at least in the Standard mode) the Overwatch team has just been compounding their failures since day one. If you want to see where the pinnacle of FPS design (hell, good design in general) is these days check out Apex Legends. That game is a tour de force.

So to bring it back to HotS, I think it managed to avoid the Overwatch trap. Sure, you have shared XP so that no one player can dominate the rest and give people the feel-bads, but you also have the exceedingly astute and not at all completely obvious good move of excising the 30min laning phase. Oh, and removing last-hitting and items too. As someone who never played the original WC3 mod, when I first tried the other two MOBAs I couldn't believe people actually thought that stuff constituted fun or engaging gameplay (I also couldn't believe how bad Riot's art direction was - presentation is possibly Blizzard's greatest strength, to be honest). Ok, none of this is interesting to people reading the Heroes of the Storm thread. I'll stop rehashing the MOBA Opinion Wars right now.

Kith posted:

That's good for you! And I really, genuinely mean that, I'm not saying that sarcastically or to be a poo poo or whatever. I am honestly glad that you were able to branch out and find enjoyment in the game despite changes that you were unhappy with. However, you're in the minority when it comes to these things. The vast majority of people who play HotS do so for the sake of playing X character (or characters) or enjoying Y playstyle. When something happens that makes those characters unrecognizable or that playstyle non-viable, the players move on - sometimes to another character, sometimes to another game, and the former will eventually run out and encourage the latter.

Thanks! I take your point, but I guess this is the part where I mention I played a Holy Paladin in WoW from almost day one (even being exclusively a healer in early MC and PvP days) but half-way through 8.2 I grew entirely disenchanted with the direction they were taking Holy (specifically the Glimmer of Light playstyle) so... I didn't quit, I switched to my Outlaw Rogue and I haven't looked back! Granted, I've been a casual since TBC, with just a brief raiding stint in Cataclysm, but I dunno, I guess I've always appreciated games that offer a multitude of experiences to choose from, whether it's different heroes or classes to play, or even just pondering about design (or sometimes trying to do things that let me think I'm outsmarting you as a designer - yes, I loved devising the most efficient way to level an army of alts for WoD mission table gold).

I genuinely believe that the latest WoW expansion is always the best, and also that the latest Civilization game is the best. I have fond memories of the older ones, but I can never go back to them.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 1, 2021

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Karma Guard posted:

Convection is a trash talent for trash KTs. It encourages being risky and does nothing to help his weaknesses (ie he is a little baby wizard with a skillshot escape). Mana Addict gives you more mana, more survivability, and no one ever loving notices when you activate it.
:thejoke:

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
If they change murky I’ll fuckin freak out and post

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the trend of "dragging idiot pubs to victory whether they like it or not" continues. guess how many mercenary camps i took to make this happen

It's 20.

Kalko posted:

I wanted HotS to have everything.

god, same

also as a fellow effortposter your effortposts are cool and good, please do more of them

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Kith posted:

the trend of "dragging idiot pubs to victory whether they like it or not" continues. guess how many mercenary camps i took to make this happen

It's 20.

god, same

also as a fellow effortposter your effortposts are cool and good, please do more of them

Reminds me of the one time near Butcher's release my team was getting its rear end kicked and I just got sick of it and just spam-took the boss camps each time they were up and eventually we won. Good times.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Imma try your whack rear end robot goblin massacre build

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The best part about it is that it hard counters Murky. Taking Gazlowe up against fish boy is basically a free lane. poo poo, Abathur is more trouble than Murky.

InformationHigh
Jun 27, 2004

I tried it after never having played Gazlowe since his rework and I hate everything about him. I'm constantly trying to swivel his lazer around and expecting structures to drop scrap. I keep looking for a different level 7 because I hate the lazer so much and realized they force you to pick one of several lovely upgrades to it. Oh well, he'll probably be stuck at level 15 or whatever the first gold tier is.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Yeah, Newzlowe is nothing like Oldzlowe. Literally the only skills that transfer are turret placement mechanics and the Grav-O-Bomb mechanics (and even that's hosed up because the combo got flipped backwards - now it's ult first, bomb second). He's a completely different hero with a completely different skillset. IMO, play him like Artanis or don't play him at all.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
I tried to play Zarya yesterday and a dude straight up took the time in a QM match to write a paragraph about how much I suck and my build sucked.

I was trying the Dignitas build that got posted somewhere. :negative:

(He was a bad murky. we did not win that round.)

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Kith posted:

The best part about it is that it hard counters Murky. Taking Gazlowe up against fish boy is basically a free lane. poo poo, Abathur is more trouble than Murky.

Yea if I was murky against this I would just loving leave the lane lol. Not a chance I’m getting any value there.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
A little late to the conversation on “blizzard ruined my favorite hero”, but this is a complicated issue because sometimes people equate “being overpowered” with “fun”, which leaves developers in a pickle. Yes, some reworks fell flat and didn’t have a lot to do with being overpowered (Malfurion for me), but some of the builds Kith listed just sound like they were fun because they were OP or had too much of an advantage, like Tychus. The reasons you listed for why you liked heroes for several of them read to me as you enjoyed what you were able to accomplish via the builds tuning, not necessarily how it felt to play.

I’m not posting this to say you’re wrong for feeling those things, but I can also see how it can be hard as a developer to fix things knowing it will make mains of that hero sad or frustrated. And I definitely don’t think Blizzard should be afraid to do reworks because of these reasons, even if some fall flat.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
How I have grown to hate Abathur, and in particular, the swingy nature of the +25%IAS Hat Talent.

It’s basically antithetical to the way every other Talent in the game works, because it breaks the ‘Contained’ aspect of not having items. There’s no way for it to be balanced, ever, because some Heroes & lineups it’s worthless, and in some it’ll snap the game over it’s knee.

I don’t like Abathur in general (he slows down my Medivh Quest, damnit!) but that talent in particular I’d really love to see change.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Abathur used to be about minions and map control, and now he's much more about creating melee carries and laying down traps. On the whole, the previous state was much healthier for the game.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Shockeh posted:

How I have grown to hate Abathur, and in particular, the swingy nature of the +25%IAS Hat Talent.

It’s basically antithetical to the way every other Talent in the game works, because it breaks the ‘Contained’ aspect of not having items. There’s no way for it to be balanced, ever, because some Heroes & lineups it’s worthless, and in some it’ll snap the game over it’s knee.

I don’t like Abathur in general (he slows down my Medivh Quest, damnit!) but that talent in particular I’d really love to see change.

That's literally the ideal for how talents should work, though. Power level completely dependant on game state and player composition. Is the talent too good with the right comp and needs to be brought down? Probably, but the concept of the talent itself is fine.

As for being "contained", Abathur is literally designed based around the idea that he's not present on the battlefield but provides battlefield impacts which isn't "contained" at a fundamental level. That's ignoring that quite a few other heroes have talents that buff allies and are thus dependant on which allies are buffed (ETC's Prog Rock, Raynor's Rallying Cry).

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I want to like ARAM but it's really just a dice roller. The heroes are so poorly balanced for it that generally one team has an overwhelming comp advantage.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Kith posted:

good post about how to rip and tear as nu gazlowe

Gameplay And Tactics
Whenever you place a Turret, it automatically attacks the closest enemy Hero - and if you're meleeing someone, that's almost always going to be the target of your melee. For this reason, I highly recommend that you bind a button to Self-Cast Q. It is a MASSIVE micro-saver to just immediately fart out a Turret at your location instead of trying to wrangle placing it, especially in the middle of hectic combat. I personally have it bound to 1 so I can even use the same finger. When I'm dueling someone, I wait until the shield is gone to place another Turret. If it's a teamfight or I'm up against multiple people, I tend to hammer it and hope it works out (which it usually does).

The default controls let you do this. Alt + Q/W/E/R will cast at your location, and cast the skill on yourself if it is a buff. Anything where you click a single location to cast, or click a unit to cast it on, will work. Vector target skills will not work.

I use this the most with Rehgar. It's great to dive someone from spirit wolf form, then immediately alt+W lightning shield myself alt+E drop totem on myself. Once you take damage, alt+Q to start chain heal on yourself, then go back to spirit wolf form and retreat or dive attack again. Gazlowe turrets and TnT are another great use cast to "cast on self" as you said.

I also use it a lot as Nazeebo. If someone dives on you, alt+W to cast zombie wall around yourself and immediately retreat. Unless you are heavily slowed you will walk away before it casts, and anyone attacking you can back away or get stuck in the circle of zombies.

It's really useful and your skills are on QWER, so your thumb is already in place to hit alt. It is a good default keybind.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Kaal posted:

I want to like ARAM but it's really just a dice roller. The heroes are so poorly balanced for it that generally one team has an overwhelming comp advantage.

I like the ones where you clearly lost at 5 mins, but you drag it on for 30+ and your team cries the whole time until you all manage to get one good combo of ults/level 20 talents to wipe the enemy team that thought you gave up.

And then the people on your team send you whispers after the match is over telling you to kill yourself. They were angry that they lost, but then when they won they are angry at you for making them win.

I agree totally that ARAM is extremely swingy and sometimes you've lost before the match starts. It is less balanced than even QM teams. This should mean that it is just for fun. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Funny things happen so you get to laugh either way. It's a goofy purposely unbalanced mode and you get to see some really weird poo poo happen with the game engine. You see someone do a cool exploit and hope that you can get that hero soon and try it in your next ARAM match.

Nope. ARAM draft screen is deadly serious and I am going to go to your house and kill your whole family, we lost because of the hero you picked.

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 9, 2021

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Vector target skills will not work.

Technically wrong. Certain vector targeting skills will simply cast from the center of the hero to the direction of your hero. Take Alaraks telekinesis, for example. Self casting it will in effect be a really nice dodge (that incidentally can shift an enemy along with you in your favour). It's a useful spur of the moment tool.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

WITCHCRAFT posted:

The default controls let you do this. Alt + Q/W/E/R will cast at your location, and cast the skill on yourself if it is a buff. Anything where you click a single location to cast, or click a unit to cast it on, will work. Vector target skills will not work.

I use this the most with Rehgar. It's great to dive someone from spirit wolf form, then immediately alt+W lightning shield myself alt+E drop totem on myself. Once you take damage, alt+Q to start chain heal on yourself, then go back to spirit wolf form and retreat or dive attack again. Gazlowe turrets and TnT are another great use cast to "cast on self" as you said.

I also use it a lot as Nazeebo. If someone dives on you, alt+W to cast zombie wall around yourself and immediately retreat. Unless you are heavily slowed you will walk away before it casts, and anyone attacking you can back away or get stuck in the circle of zombies.

It's really useful and your skills are on QWER, so your thumb is already in place to hit alt. It is a good default keybind.

I sometimes forget that not everyone wears a 2xl glove like me - hitting Alt-anything is incredibly awkward for me because my hands are massive, which is why I recommend binding self-cast to an independent button.

For reference of scale, if I put my palm on Q, I can press the right Enter key with the tip of my middle finger.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Kith posted:

For reference of scale, if I put my palm on Q, I can press the right Enter key with the tip of my middle finger.

Holy snap, Thanos plays HOTS.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I switched Alt -> Shift today for self-cast and it works super well to hit it with my pinky.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Grei Skuring posted:

Technically wrong. Certain vector targeting skills will simply cast from the center of the hero to the direction of your hero. Take Alaraks telekinesis, for example. Self casting it will in effect be a really nice dodge (that incidentally can shift an enemy along with you in your favour). It's a useful spur of the moment tool.

Haha that's one that I use and didn't even think of it.

Also, got this out of a regular chest:

:toot:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Post a picture of your large hands, coward

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Macaluso posted:

Post a picture of your large hands, coward

Well, you know what they say about a fella with big hands: big gloves.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I have to buy all my clothes online, I know how it feels to be a big too. Too big to be convenient, not big enough to be able to just sit in a chair next to standing people, be taller, and get paid for it. I have piano player fingers though. Can you buy a larger keyboard for the big fingered man? I was thinking how someone like you could play guitar, you can stretch over more frets but trying to fingerpick is probably a bitch.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Alt casting is necessary for Medivh too, so you can self cast Shield and also enjoy the monumental gently caress up that is discovering self casting Portal puts it the minimum distance away, rather than the maximum you’d logically want in any panic speed situation.

(There’s no reason for a min distance Portal, ever.)

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Min distance portal self cast is good if like me you mindlessly cast everting on cool down

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
So Blizzcon put out their schedule and HotS has literally no panels on it.

They even got Critical Role to do a Diablo oneshot game, and then do nothing for HotS. The poor dev had to pop in the inevitable thread going 'hey, what the gently caress, what about us :(:' and reassure the players. It's literally the 30th for Blizz, and they have a game that's a great example of all their franchises. Promoting the smash bros for their game should be a slam-dunk.

KinaBREW: Hello friends. There's no panel because we didn't have anything to share at the moment. I will say that we have content coming including some of my favorite reworks, new mounts/skins and more. Have a good day!

Also, buff Zarya, nerf Tracer some more, carthago delenda est.

e: I guess we also get a Carbot Animation Workshop that's it.

Karma Guard fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 11, 2021

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Makes sense, there's probably not a panel for Warcraft 2 or Blackthorne either.

Bodacious
Jul 29, 2010
Yeah, as someone who still plays this dumb game almost daily, I cannot get over how confused some people are regarding Blizzcon having nothing hots related.

The game generates no money, folks. They are not going to devote time and resources beyond the skeleton crew releasing balance patches and some skins.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

That's the worst part: the game could generate money hand over fist if the slightest bit of effort was put in, League of Legends and DotA 2 are great examples of that. All they need to do is make cosmetics that matter! It's really, really loving simple!

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Kith posted:

That's the worst part: the game could generate money hand over fist if the slightest bit of effort was put in, League of Legends and DotA 2 are great examples of that. All they need to do is make cosmetics that matter! It's really, really loving simple!

I'd love to see HotS be wildly successful as much as anyone, and I've spent no small amount on cosmetics in the game. But if the skins they are/were making didn't bring in enough, what would you define as cosmetics that matter? Honest question here, I really don't know what the solution would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mind over Matter posted:

I'd love to see HotS be wildly successful as much as anyone, and I've spent no small amount on cosmetics in the game. But if the skins they are/were making didn't bring in enough, what would you define as cosmetics that matter? Honest question here, I really don't know what the solution would be.

More skins.

Seriously, just more skins.

Once upon a time when I still cared about this game, I made an effortpost about how to make HOTS grow. The most relevant part to this discussion is here:

quote:

STEP 3: EXPAND COLLECTION SELECTION
The Features:

• HOTS 2.0 separated variable Skins and Mounts into individual items, giving the Collection the potential to be expanded easily with many low-effort Variants for Skins and Mounts to give players a much wider variety of customizations to obtain.
The Problems with the Features:
  • New Skins were released at more or less the same rate and there are very few new Skin Variants that were made from existing Skins.
The Solutions to Problems with the Features:
  • Add enough low-effort Variants for existing Skins and Mounts to bring every Skin and Mount up to at least five Variants each.
  • Commit to a content pipeline that adds at least one Variant to each existing Skin and Mount per year.

The customization options that users really, genuinely care about are the ones that modify their characters and can be easily shown off to other players. Emoticons, Portraits, Sprays, Voice Lines, and Announcers are cute, but ultimately mean next to nothing in the big scheme of things - most users will find ones that they like and then never stop using them. You want to make the big money? Do lots and lots of this:

Minor texture edits to existing content prints money with almost no effort: play with the Hue and Saturation of a diffuse texture until you get something that looks vaguely different enough from an existing item and ship it. Maybe gently caress with the emissives too to add some fancy lights, or throw in a premium user-recolorable variant that can only be obtained with :10bux:. Suddenly, Casuals have reason to chip away at their Gold/Shard/Gem hoards to pick up the perfect combinations for their heroes and Whales have reason to spend twice or thrice or howevermuch as much on the game as they used to. Do the same thing with Mounts and you've jump-started your economy.