Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'm a super casual player who's been having a lot of fun chilling and slapping people with Auriel. Beyond what I can see at Icy Veins, do goons have any pro Auriel tips? I try to drive my team towards having a good hero bully (Tracer gave me good results, for example), I've noticed that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Thanks for the Auriel tips! What other heroes should I learn as I gear up for doing some unranked? I have most of the support heroes (I think I'm missing stukov and lucio, maybe khara as well). I also like split laning e.g. zagara and murky. I've hated playing arthas and Johanna.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Blizzard writing fell off a cliff either right before or right after WC3. There's no need to be romantic about it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

No Wave posted:

My bar isnt high at all. I would never ask for more out of a video game's story than the sylvanas mission in WC3 vanilla or the one where you kill Cenarius and I'd never ask for more out of a character than Kel'Thuzad. That stuff's excellent in any era. They're just not a company that's capable of that anymore.

"Why have a enemy that's 10 feet tall when you could have one that's 10,000 feet tall!"

"Because that isn't an intimidating dude that's a geographical feature"

"And he's been asleep for 10,000 years!"

It's really not that high a bar to make vaguely comprehensible stakes, Blizzard is just tunneling 10,000 feet under the bar.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Grimdude posted:

Yeah "writing" wasn't the right word I guess. It's not like the story of WC3 was some literary masterpiece. Maybe just more that they used to know how to really stoke that fanfare and make things that were just enjoyable to watch/experience. Like for me the Starcraft 2 Protoss expansion had such a bitchin' release cinematic and it just felt so Blizzard and cool which gave me hope for them...

Then there was the game itself.

Idk, writing is definitely some of it I guess. For instance, wrapping up the Starcraft story with Kerrigan being some star child chosen one and uniting the three races or whatever was such phoning-it-in bullshit. There's just a huge disconnect going on w/ the company. Different ownership or whatever. Profit motivations maybe.

Sorry I wasn't like trying to be mean to you, but to Metzen's philosophy, which became more pointed and prominent from like 2002 on. I honestly think some of the early stuff, like D2, holds up better than expected.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I immediately start groaning if I see a butcher on either team because either they get shut down and the game is largely a 5v4 or they pull off meatquest and they just delete a player or two as soon as a teamfight starts. Butcher just makes matches less fun.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Moola posted:

Blizzard are bad at balancing games

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Erdricks posted:

Hots was profitable, just not profitable enough. Hots was growing, just not fast enough. The decision to kill it was based on the fact bean counters thought they could get a bigger return on their money elsewhere. In other words, if hots was a standalone product, we'd still have HGC.

Blizzard has truly unrealistic expectations on growth at this point in their field, and they also seem to expect that a given product line is not merely financially successful but at least as financially successful as their most successful products (i.e. WOW and OW). It's not the absolute worst way to run a company, but it is not one that makes sense to me.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Yeah I'm totally seeing some of my behaviour in this. As a long time customer of Blizzard products I'm now way more reluctant to make big spendings on their other games I play, like Overwatch or Hearthstone for instance. Also, seen from the outside their current company culture seems to suck now and it shows.

"Firing a shitload of people in the midst of high profits" is exactly the kind of behavior that gets you good stock prices and a bad future.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I like healing, it's my favorite major role to play in real-time games :shrug:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Eraflure posted:

Good, let blizzard burn

the big blizzcon announcement will be being bought out by Bain Capital

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Shockeh posted:

Now, there's the (bad) argument that the game is balanced for drafting and picks, but if your game isn't balanced around the most commonly played mode you're the problem, not the players. That's quite figuratively saying "You're playing it wrong."

"The game is not actually balanced around the game mode that we center and make most accessible and obvious to the player base" is definitely a "didn't even get to step 1 in the thought process" game design

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Murky's ability to annihilate lanes like a whale shark eating krill just makes like Arthas and Valla and such look like lumbering buffoons, clumsily and sloppily waving around comically oversized weapons to mediocre effect while Murky cleanly, smoothly harvests his prey.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I played for the first time in...like a year? Played two rounds with my comfort zone character (Auriel), not enough has changed for anything I was doing to go wrong and did pretty well in the QMs I was in even though the people I was playing with didn't really think about our comp beyond just 'what you like.'

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kith posted:

HotS has a reputation for loving up faves because it's been doing it for years. Sometimes it's just individual heroes, sometimes it's entire aspects of the game. Maybe it hasn't happened to you yet, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been happening.

Yeah I've got about 10 or so friends that have played HOTS over the years and all of us have some complaint or another along these lines, and it's gone from a go-to game for two different clans I'm in to a thing that gets fired up about once every 3 months just to see what's up. Gazlowe is definitely the one that comes up the most often, though for me it's Zagara, who was basically reworked entirely away from her interesting niche.

Everyone I know is pretty casual so nobody is really that impressed by any claims that it's 'more competitive' but we are very impressed by the criticism that there's less interesting and fun strategic options.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

My understanding of Blizzard, which is mostly like stuff I've overheard from ex employees from a labor perspective rather than from a more specifically gaming perspective, is that Blizzard as a company likes to have a very narrow product line and to only focus energy on the absolute highest growth products. Like just being reliably profitable is not good enough, you need to be more profitable than other divisions. For the kind of money they're walking around with it's a very tiny set of products.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

orangelex44 posted:

I am eternally surprised that developers haven't learned their lesson yet and removed all chat from games except for with friends.

You need the chats in order to attract utterly toxic gamers as a marketable demographic. I'm surprised Blizzard wants to have those utterly toxic players as that is incongruent with their branding and drives off swathes of players who don't have the time or patience for that bullshit, but it's definitely a market segment you can milk.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kith posted:

all blizzard games are like this intentionally and one of the primary reasons that the Blizzard Deathwatch thread has so much gosh dang content

wait where's the deathwatch thread, i wanna bathe in corporate schadenfreude

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

y'know I never even considered it would be in byob, thanks!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

TLV because they get to hang with their buddies all the time.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

All chat works like a leaver's q - if you use it you get divided into the smaller pool of players with less preferential match making.

Cuz that's what this game needs: more ways to divide the playerbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

If it's more than like 5/hr go for it.