Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
As someone who is relatively new, who is a good streamer to watch for strats and good plays? The OP has some good guides, but curious to see some video breakdowns too.

If it helps, I currently play Diablo and Zeebo, and need to round out my experience with other types of heroes. What are 5 good core heroes to learn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Curious that the spreading abilities didn't go past fog of war before. I had assumed they had. Slight buff for Sylvanas pushing forts, eh?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Malf can also get the wave clear rolling with Moonfire talents in the early stages.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
It's similar to the analytical movement in sports: You want to emphasize the things that consistently lead to winning. Something like OBP in baseball or maximizing expected goals in soccer or hockey are always a good thing. If they've identified things per each map or character that are done by the best players, that'll make the MMR more accurate in less time, regardless of team comp.

Weighting Wins vs in-game skill will be important, though, and it does sound like they are still making winning the priority. That which is measured, improves.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Spudd posted:

We haven't done this for awhile but I'd like it if another Tauren was added. They're just really cool. Could go with either Cairne or Hulm (Holm? Hilm?... Helm?) Highmountain. Although I'm pretty sure all Tauren's would be warriors. Maybe a Tauren priest but there are no named ones.

When Cairne dies, Baine pops up in his place, enraged.

Magatha could show up later as well. (Shaman in WoW)

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://www.twitch.tv/blizzheroes

Enjoying Nexus Games Europe, but it's strange that the players themselves are rarely featured by name or picture. Anyone know why?

Further to this, the commentators say various countries are favored, but I have no idea why. I wish there was some context, like FIFA rankings or something.

Nybble fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 15, 2017

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Link to that test?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I think capitalization might matter? I tried /join sagoons, and it pasted in General for all to see :( - Fortunately /join SAGoons worked.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
it's like my first "Alt+F4 to gain cheats!" all over again!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Finally got the 14 character requirement for Hero League. Two games, both games got to watch two teammates stand around and argue while mid-lane. :cool:

A teammate's last-pick Hammer against a Stitches, Kael'thas, Brightwing, and Graymane was the highlight though.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I'll ask the noob question, as I'm new.

What's an ideal statline for Malth? Is it the lack of siege damage?

Perhaps Blizzard should expand upon this as well in that graphic, even if it was just one little tip similar to "You did less damage than other players (last 30 days)"

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I remember when it was hard raising a few gold for that first mount... Inflation is everywhere!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I hadn't gotten a chance to do placements due to moving. Lucky me: they are resetting again and disabling the performance-based rating for now.

https://twitter.com/BlizzHeroes/status/941918410186809344

(As a software developer, I can only imagine they are having the longest week of their career, especially with it resulting in a full scale rollback)

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Seebach posted:

Nova is loving broken. This isn't healthy.

Except if you're on Towers and they act like a bot and never join team fights or grab empty altars while the opponent team is engaged elsewhere.

...ask me how my placement matches are going.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Elysium posted:

So did they update something that made my FPS go from ~100 fps to 40 in the last few days?

I've been absolutely wondering the same thing, and apparently my friends with 1070s+ are even hitting the issue. I've had to shrink my resolution down to get it to stop most of the times, and even then it goes crunchy during team fights and/or Infernal Shrines. I'm chalking it up to the new camera.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Fried Watermelon posted:

Yeah I have vsync off already and it's definitely a lower frame rate this last patch

I'd laugh if tower ammo was somehow related to FPS in some esoteric way to make the game engine work

It's recalculating your Personal Rating each frame. Or mining bitcoin, who even knows these days

But it is 'fun' making the game look like Diablo 2 with the shrunk resolution and no settings

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Olaf The Stout posted:

There was a thread on reddit about this, a lot of people have complained that since the latest patch it occasionally feels like ablities just don't go off. I don't know what came of it, but this and screen-tearing and performance issues have happened to a lot of people since the last patch.

I chalked this up to not playing for a week, but yeah, escaping with Sylvanas has been failed 1/4 times lately.

So what exactly did they do?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Idea for Blizzard's personal rating given my experiences with HL: "Is someone calling teammates a retard? Congrats, you gonna lose this game."

Maybe the machine learning can take into account how much the player chatted during their matches and sentiment analysis on their chat logs. I bet it would be more predictive than the efficiency of using cooldowns.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

BrianBoitano posted:

I've gotten lots more RAM usage since Hanzo. I have to use Discord on a separate laptop now, and even still it maxes out when it never did before. Frustrating.

I thought it had been fixed, but I've had to drop my resolution again. Tomb map is especially bad, but it affects most games at least once. The game freezes and then speeds up to catch up. Turning off Chrome helps, but there's something happening to me as well since the Hanzo patch.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Macaluso posted:

It boggles my mind that I still see people wanting a surrender button, because I have been in SO MANY GAMES where we manage to comeback from what seems like a loss late in the game.

Oh man, that'd be a terrible idea, given what people's expectations seem to be...

*one person dies in the first scrum in mid*

"welp, gg, gently caress you all, especially you <healer>"

*lose the first objective*

"*&@#$*(&#$(*@)(*@#() #@*$()@#*$()@#*"

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Mecha Tyrael makes me want to learn how to play him, hot drat

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

AlmightyBob posted:

garrosh is still a 1st ban in a lot of matches I've been in

old habits die hard. Generally HotsLogs shows Dehaka being the number one ban, but as far out as Garrosh used to lead the pack. Sylvanas and Sonya probably could be banned more often, given their winrates and popularity.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

watching the rest after this was just so so sad

v Too many people internalized Ender's Game. "We can just go straight to the core!"

Nybble fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 11, 2018

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/954376594256150528

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/954375401186369538

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Kai Tave posted:

Also I just had a game where the Lili and Chen on my team roleplayed as Lili and Chen the entire game and it was real weird, I don't even think they were queued up together, it just sort of happened.
<lots of text>
The other team should probably have won considering that two of our players were arguing back and forth about brew ingredients the entire game.

Okay, I'm definitely doing this when I get a chance.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Good going Filthy Monkey! I'd say pick out 7-10 characters you really enjoy and git gud with them?

Libertine posted:

I guess I just always assumed all the generic fantasy maps were Warcraft maps and now I'm realizing that none of them have specific features that would tie them to the Warcraft universe at all.

I had assumed Towers of Doom was Stratholme or at least inspired by it.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Finally played Raynor after reading about him here:

1) MVP'd once? Probably says more about the players than me... (It was QM)
2) It does force you to pay attention to the gamestate more than you might since... well there's nothing else to do than be well positioned. I'm sure there's a few times as Sylvanas where I dive in too far, thinking I can back out. No such luck here, plus the Saving Heal Every 30 Seconds is great if the other team doesn't focus fire.
3) Agree that Soldier 76 should get this kit, and move Raynor to a more Vulture themed kit.

Also 'A Card To Play' may not be the most efficient Level 20 talent, but it sure is fun to take in a game with no supports on either sides. So many Battlecruisers!

VVV Just need 6 deaths in 12 seconds to get a second Battlecruiser going before the first one finishes!

Nybble fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 1, 2018

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

beejay posted:

Maybe if you don't like hero league just don't play it! There's no need to justify your decisions by generalizing and whining.

That's a great impression of a HL player

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
A losing player can win MVP, especially in long games. There might be an assassin that gets a ton of kills per death, but their team still loses; or a tank that lives for most of the game and soaks damage, but their team couldn't push in to win.

The score algo is here, dunno if it's been updated in the past year:
https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/53av50/fyi_how_the_mvp_is_chosen/

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Tracer in Polish is "Smuga", "Streak" in English.
But I can't help see Smuga because I hate Tracer so much :argh:

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I'm not sure exactly why, but since this patch, I can't join a Draft without the game crashing and getting a "HeroesOfTheStorm has been blocked from accessing the graphics card." message. I can play regular games no problem, but something about the draft screen is being blocked. Has anyone else seen something like this?

(Sorry TCJimbo et al)

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

BrianBoitano posted:

but enough about your pegging fanfic

code:
Your core is under attack!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

kater posted:

Someone tell me about Murky. Is he a good boy? Why should I pick the armor talent? Whats your favorite way to say Big Kahuna in a wacky surfer voice? How much do you love slime?

Also if you're about to win with Murky anyway and you've taken Octograb ( a good heroic if you need to isolate a character or take them out of the fight ) I have to recommend "...and A Shark Too" at level 20 because it is absolutely hilarious to slap someone with a shark.

(But Making Inky is extremely good, even if you've taken Octograb)

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Lid posted:

Tracer's winrate has gone up to 55% in HL and to 65% in QM. I think that rework didn't work.

Is there a Hero vs Hero stats site? I'd be curious who she is winning against.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

we need a Fenix version of :hellyeah:

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Did it include Diablo or K'T? That would have been quite the troll.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Lid posted:

New hero is Patches the Pirate, his q w and e are just illidans the hunt.

no, that would be his heroic, so it could be on the RRRRRRRRRRR key

i'm not sorry

--

New hero is Grim Patron: Has extremely low health, but everytime he's hit and doesn't die, he spawns a new character and controls like The Lost Vikings. Heroic is dogpile: Every character jumps from where they are onto one target, damage+stunned-time multiplied by the number of characters

Nybble fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 4, 2018

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I have to say, I think I played someone that did read that document. Unranked this evening I was playing Murky* as the solo Mid/Top and found their Tassadar doing the same for a short while. I couldn't pressure and used the Towers to back me up, but did tie in XP. Eventually their team came up and then it unraveled for them tho, as our coordinated pressure in bottom lane unbalanced it and the few times I did get got, popped right back into soaking.

-

No real rumors about the reveal today?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Haunting Wave is also great for solo camps. So like they like to say in the Hearthstone thread, it can be used defensively and offensively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
^ you stole my healing flask post!

I had originally assumed he would have been an Abathur-type, where he’s doing full support from the base, like a dungeon master or something. But I'm super interested in this design, and especially going to laugh at people getting mad about almost full HP players taking the flask from an almost dead player.