Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Is Probius bad, or is it just me that's bad? Played some HotS for the first time in a while last night in anticipation of 2.0 and he seemed difficult to use and underwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Got zero legendaries out of the 17 epic crates I received, then leveled up Leoric afterwards and got two out of a regular crate. Guess I have to start playing Samuro now that I have his Jade Monkey King skin.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Getting the Jade Monkey King skin for Samuro makes me wish I was actually good with him. He seems really solid if you can actually pull off the sort of stuff Grubby does with the Illusion Master heroic where you use it to juke people constantly and split push, but that's just way above my skill grade.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Deathwing would probably be fine if they got rid of the always unstoppable trait and adjusted some numbers around to compensate. He's already got massive damage vs heroes, good AOE damage, a good escape/initiate with his ult, gets his ult early, etc. He doesn't need to have every drat thing all at once and the unstoppable part is what makes him feel so annoying to fight against. Just this big dumb dragon tearing around the battlefield and you can't even meaningfully interact with him.

I play QM exclusively and seem to lose the majority of games where I go up against a Deathwing. If there's a Deathwing in the match, they almost always seem to get MVP even if they're on the losing team. The collective skill level of a team probably has a lot to do with it and I'm hardly a GM (I'd guess somewhere between gold-diamond), but even after the nerfs he's still completely dominant in my matches.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Grimdude posted:

Murky is honestly some straight up bullshit in the right games. Like yeah he's rear end against a lot of heroes but a lot of times I see him he's this unkillable god that requires at least two people to deal with.

Murky is a contradiction. Fight him and your team yells at you for wasting time killing the Murky instead of doing something more important. Leave him alone and he'll push down all your forts/keeps while gaining such a huge exp lead that your team can't even win the 5v4 team fights anymore.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Sometimes I forget just how much Raynor can actually scale in the late game. Like Execute kind of turns him into some kind of hillbilly death ray.

Ace in the Hole seems like the more popular talent but I always take Veteran Marksman at level 1. If you really focus on getting those stacks and do a full AA build you become an absolute monster past level 20.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Are you all playing ranked or something where the community is dead and what's left is toxic? I play QM exclusively and rarely have to wait longer than 30 seconds for a game, when I get one people are generally pretty laid back.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

I already played Tracer a lot before the rework and thought she was in a balanced enough position. High mobility but didn't really get much damage until all the way at level 16 so she was more of a consistent annoyance for most of the game than a deadly threat. After the rework it almost feels like cheating if the enemy comp doesn't have some sort of hard counter like Valeera or Taunt Varian. Focus Fire at level 7 means anyone slightly overextended is fair game to be focused down in the relatively early game and it just snowballs from there. Consistently getting MVP with ridiculous stats in all categories on the end screen, she should probably get a heavy nerf to bring her back in line.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I haven't played in ages, but I think I remember the adc raynor/valla builds being good for keeping her away. Does that still work well?

Raynor/Valla don't seem to fare as well as they used to from the games I've played. They'll still outdamage Tracer slightly in a 1v1 as far as AA damage goes but can't deal with the added burst of pulse bomb and melee when it's so hard to hit their own skillshots against her. Generally either ends with both of us low and having to back off or they get too confident and die to the melee/pulse bomb + recall. Supposedly the change to recall is supposed to be a nerf, but the added time where you don't exist means the enemy can't retaliate between you sticking the bomb and it actually exploding. They end up throwing all their abilities at nothing trying to kill you then you reappear and blink away three times.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Mei has good potential to be the most bullshit character in the game if they accurately transfer her essence to HOTS. Autoattack while moving which stuns after a second of hitting an enemy hero, high damage ranged projectile, Tassadar walls, ult which is a throwable Mosh Pit. It's going to be horrible and I won't play anyone else.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Nybble posted:

When did they make the AI terrible for disconnects and who can I smack over this, because it is an absolute waste of time when there isn’t a surrender option and we have to either 1) lug around a terrible AI that will hearth the instant their babysitter gets killed or 2) leave them in the well and just always be down a character

Can always blame this person I guess:

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/her...bo-you-to-death

If by "combo you to death," they mean "stand in the back line and do nothing during a team fight." They would be better off just reverting it to whatever it was doing several updates ago, the AI would at least attempt to play the game even if it was bad.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

So their solution was to give her an entirely new toolkit that has basically nothing to do with her OW kit.

Looks like everything is there but her OW primary attack, which is almost certainly best kept out of this game. Wasn't expecting her OW ult to become a basic ability but it looks like it has a relatively small radius and you won't get frozen unless you start at one side of it and have to walk through the whole thing. Hoping her damage is low enough that she's not completely infuriating to fight against but with slows on everything in addition to the other forms of CC she's going to be a massive pain in team fights at least.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Im_Special posted:

Anomalies are poo poo, Mei looks boring, and Cho'gall FINALLY got a new skin that isn't just a pumpkin head reskin. Overall good patch.

(Greed from Diablo III)

Not bad, gonna have to get that one. A friend of mine likes HotS but has no real game sense, so he usually only plays if he can be Gall and act as the turret. Anything else and he ends up being in the wrong place constantly and either feeding or losing us objectives. It's still fun but having played Cho a lot it's hard to overlook the inherent weakness of having two players in one body with a game that's as CC heavy as this. I'm hardly a grandmaster and can't really judge power levels at the higher ranks but it seems like a bad idea to use him outside of quickplay.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Im_Special posted:

This games performance tanked hard, WTF.

People seem to be blaming the weather anomalies. I've noticed a few instances of lag after the update but nothing more than the usual and framerates have been fine.

Mei seems balanced and not infuriating to play against from my few games so far. Only thing that feels potentially off is the crazy amount of health she has but I guess she is a tank after all. With Cryo-Freeze for regen, Icing for escape, and Avalanche to get people off you when you're in danger she's basically invincible unless you really screw up.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

WITCHCRAFT posted:

This is the Dumb Trick. If it works, you can win even if your 4 teamates are worse than Beginner bots. You can single handedly win the actual match while your team loses 4v5 objectives and the enemy team ignores pushes. I've done this plenty with Abathur and Zagara. Probably still works with Sylvanas too. If you push during an objective and they don't respond, GO HAM. You will reach their core with no issue. Worst case scenario, they realize you are soloing core and then your team wins the mid/late game objective that is much more powerful than the early game wins.

Been playing Murky a lot recently and generally winning from massive experience leads while mostly ignoring what's going on with the rest of the map. With Zagara enemies will at least try to force you out of lane occasionally, with Abathur maybe a stealth hero will make it behind the wall and kill you, with Murky nobody ever wants to deal with you because it feels like a waste of time then they end up so far behind on levels that it's impossible to come back. Add in consistently bribing camps on their side of the map and it almost feels like cheating at low ranks.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Too bad about Deckard's Ruby getting the hard nerf, going 1v5 into the enemy team and healing through everything was hilarious.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Mind over Matter posted:

Feedback was basically a mana burn if I recall correctly, and I will forever appreciate the devs keeping that sort of aggressively unfun gameplay out of HotS entirely.

In Starcraft it was full mana burn plus damage based on the amount of mana you burned. To preserve flavor, you should be able to Feedback a full Morales medivac and instakill all five people inside.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Yestermoment posted:

I've finally decided to fiddle with this game (after trying it once a loooong time ago) and have been having enough fun playing as Zarya against only AI. Trying (and being yelled at) with DOTA players years ago has made me afraid to even try venturing out into playing with actual people. Will I be bullied for playing Zarya? :ohdear:

Try her in quickplay, mute anyone who complains about how you're playing or pings you five times or any of that. Going against other players in the no-stakes mode is always going to be better than AI games which tend to reinforce bad habits, and quickplay tends to have relatively low toxicity.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah just never give anyone advice, if someone has zero map awareness then "be careful" is just meaningless. I just figure they're AI wall-humper players.

Danger pings are generally worth a shot, but if they ignore those and get ganked by a team rotating up to their position there's probably nothing you could type into chat that would help. More often than not it will just start an argument, meaning people will be spending time typing back and forth rather than trying to claw their way back into the game and you'll fall even further behind.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

WITCHCRAFT posted:

I got to be King Big Dick when I spoke about the syncretism of Uralic shamanism with early Buddhism, and the similarities between Tibetan Buddhism and Mongolian/Siberian folk religion

Yet another example of why HOTS needs an Overwatch-style play of the game feature.

Played three games last night after not touching HOTS for about a month, went 3/3 with Murky. Still the best character. Still feels highly inconsiderate to play as him.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Never played WoW so the only thing I knew about Hogger was his Hearthstone card that generated gnolls every turn. Thought his HOTS appearance might have a similar mechanic where he summoned creatures like Zagara or Azmodan to push lanes, but I guess the devs are sticking to what they said a while ago about moving away from that type of design. Turning into the Tasmanian Devil and crashing through everything is also good.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Tulip posted:

Gazlowe is definitely the one that comes up the most often, though for me it's Zagara, who was basically reworked entirely away from her interesting niche.

Being able to place a nydus without creep was some next level bullshit and let me win a few games I absolutely should have lost. Still one of my most played characters but she does require a lot more forethought these days about where you'll need to be placing a nydus later in the game.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

HotS could be profitable if they added a skin where Ragnaros is on a surfboard riding a wave.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Macaluso posted:

I haven't played in a long time, I know people go on about how much of a death machine Murky is, and I can attest to that. But is Murky still a god at playing his own weird solo game of just pushing a lane/taking camps and then the core falls over

edit: like this is from like 3 years ago, but this is one of my most favorite things I've ever done in the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpxWGXqq0Sg

Murky is great because you can make the other team mad even when they win the match. Had a close match a few days ago where someone whispered me after to tell me that we lost despite "trying every cheat in the book" and to "play a real character, buddy."

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

ARAM is all about taking a set of random character selections and using them to create a balanced team comp.

We lost.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Mesadoram posted:

I can totally see how he can be powerful. That heal/shield is fantastic. I am thinking more about it and I feel like he is just not my style of game play. I love Varian, the Butcher, Gazlowe and heroes that are aggressive. I am a little rusty too so that might have something to do with it...

Tyrael can play sort of like a melee assassin if you take all his autoattack talents and Judgment at level 10. Throw your sword in a safe place so you have an easy escape, ult into the enemy team while shielding and raking them for a bunch of crit damage and teleport back out when it looks like you're about to die. Not sure if it's the recent changes or I was just playing him wrong before, but he feels a lot better after the adjustments and his trait isn't complete trash now even though you should still generally avoid dying as much as possible.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Nybble posted:

Only time I saw a Tyrael in Ranked was when our friend group played against another group. They cheesed the first fort with his shield and Morales healing him.

Cleared them, kept soaking, took camps and 2/3 Garden Terror objectives.

Then suddenly at 10: they Medivac'd to our Keep and did the same thing. We ran back, wiped them, but they killed the keep.

You know what happened next.

The classic Juice Pirates comp. Hard to defend against if you don't see it coming and can't ban the heroes that make it work ahead of time.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

(New) Execute Orders [Passive]
Reduce your Death Timer to 30 seconds. Upon death, cast Hyperion towards the nearest enemy Hero.

A lot of the changes are interesting but this particular talent at 20 sounds weird. Hyperion is one of the more "just walk away from it" ults in the game but I guess it would add some chaos to a team fight if an enemy got in the back line and picked off Raynor first. Was thinking you could suicide into towers over and over and siege them down like a bad Leoric but I guess it wouldn't trigger if there's no hero nearby.

Fishing hook becoming (sort of) baseline for Stitches is great, I always picked it anyway. Besides the hook Stitches always felt kind of boring to play and ultimately not very good, the vile gas stuff should make him a lot more interesting.

Valla's hungering arrow build was always my favorite and it looks like the damage quest stacks infinitely now. Monster Hunter moved to level 7 and having the mana cost reduction removed makes it a lot less appealing I think even if you're using a hungering arrow build. Frost shot was already my go-to at 16 and having it at level 7 with added bonus to hungering arrow damage seems like a no-brainer. Farflight quiver was already amazing at 20 and seems even better now.

Interesting reworks all around, Valla looks like she'll be an absolute monster after the changes.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Watching Roadhog gorge someone raises a lot of questions.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Karma Guard posted:

HOTS is the only MOBA out there that doesn't require micromanagement of minions and it also includes mounts, which is the thing I missed the most when I tried LoL. It's agony to just.... wait 10 seconds to B back, then you have to refill (and shop, I guess???? I also do not like the shop) and then it's... a lot.... of walking....,, to get back to the lane, unless something has gone horribly wrong. The map is enormous and a lot of it is just walking. More walking.

The best thing HOTS did in comparison to other MOBAs was jettison a bunch of the mechanics that existed in the first DOTA as a quirk of the underlying game engine. I never got the impression that things like last hitting or the courier were consciously added to the game because it was fun, but rather that the designers were making a custom map in the WC3 engine and were stuck with its inherent limitations. Those annoying mechanics then became synonymous with MOBAs so they propagated to other games like LoL even though it was an entirely new game that didn't need to be bound by the same design restrictions, HOTS took all that poo poo and threw it out the window save for a few echoes like bribe stacks and Azmodan's trait quest.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

cmdrk posted:

given that the HOTS team seems to already be stretched super thin or nonexistent to the point where it's a side job for people on other projects, I can't imagine they look through the abuse reports very often.

Can they at least assign someone to delete the prompt after games asking me how the reporting system is going? I don't get to make the decisions around who gets banned or not, I have no idea how it's working.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Grave Centipede posted:

Does anyone here enjoy the towers of doom map? I can't stand it, feels like you are totally disconnected from beating the other team.
'Stand here, turn a wheel, you won!'
I at least want to follow the push or something from winning an objective.

Had a game on Towers of Doom once where we completely stomped the other team and still lost. Won every team fight and dominated them the entire game, ended with a one-sided number of kills, but somehow they kept sneaking in and capping the points or getting points through merc camps or the boss. It can be a counterintuitive map but helps reinforce the need to focus on objectives when they're up.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Latest patch finally gives Zagara real level 20 talents among some other changes. Pack Instinct looks good for focusing down heroes, Brood Mother better for more sustained damage. After taking the extended creep talent for so long it will be nice to have something with a more direct impact on the game.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Almost had a full page going and ruined it.

Had win streaks as long before so I guess a savage loss streak was inevitable. Feels great when you're playing relatively well and still getting stomped over and over.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

WITCHCRAFT posted:

The bunny hop is better because it makes the Mario goomba stomp sound. It is the superior ult for the same reason Varian's colossus smash and Sonya's leap are the right ult choice.

It make a cool sound!!!

I will focus my talents from other tiers just to enable an ult like that. It's so good, every single time.

It's unfortunate that Taunt Varian is usually considered the "good" choice when Smash Varian is the one that's actually fun. If I'm playing Varian it's because I want to 100-0 explode a Valla in one second while screaming at her.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Kith posted:

NAZEEBO GOT SPIDER COLONY BACK

WE IN THERE

Maybe people will stop complaining when I go spider build instead of toads now.

Leoric changes are good, having to split push made Kneel Peasants feel mandatory and making it baseline should allow for more versatility.

Not sure if the Zagara changes are the right move, from what I've experienced the overpowered part is being able to sit in fog of war and spam banelings at the enemy towers without them even being able to see you. Maybe the trio of longer cooldown/lower damage/higher mana cost will do enough to make it unviable as a strategy but I think changes should be made to the level 1 talent instead of adjusting the base stats of the banelings themselves.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Sometimes ARAM goes your way real hard.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Went up against an ARAM team with 4 Mephistos not long ago. We ended up winning, but they all took Consume Souls and every time it was off cooldown they would all use it at once and team wipe us with no real potential for counter play.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

I dunno, ARAM being the non-serious "mash your hosed up teams into each other until someone wins" mode is kind of why I like it. If I want to worry about double soaking and proper merc timings and stuff like that I'll play the real game, reducing things down to a single lane inherently means that character balance is going to be thrown out the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just had a game where the enemy Zeratul killed us 23 times and we still clawed it back for a win. Frustrating character to play against but I'm Tracer so I can't complain much.