Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

tried out guldan recently, he's really cool and fun. i end up topscoring on hero damage and/or seige damage every game, but never win fights/get kills/win games. anyone got any g'd tips?

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

been playing stitches in QP, having a lot of fun but i kind of feel like a rat bastard

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

can i use that same button to cancel cho's charge when i've already started charging it and my gall starts yelling NO DON'T I'M ABOUT TO ULT

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah TB is actually really hard to kill because of the self sustain. colossus can get brought down relatively easily, but TB needs to be instapopped

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

heroes of the mechastorm was the best HOTS trailer imo

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Don't you have to pay to change your battlenet display name too

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, it's not easy to buy new heroes with gold. You get one quest each day that gives like, 300 gold, and otherwise a game of qp gives like 15-30ish gold? So a qp player makes maybe 500 gold a day if they're playing an unreasonable amount, and like 80% of heroes cost 10,000 gold, so that's 20 days of dedicating several hours to HOTS to get one hero. Not that bad if you got one of the 2.0 bundles and already own 15+ heroes, but pretty nasty if you're starting from scratch

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

how is he less support than zarya?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the basic fundamentals of HOTS are dramatically more fun for me than any other MOBA. no last hitting, no items, shared team exp, more than one map, not having to unlock basic abilities, map objectives that force teamfights, games that usually end around the 20 minute mark, all of that created a moba that i was actually interested in playing, and i'm definitely not moving over to DOTA or LoL when this game is dead and buried

this weird hard on the devs have for heroes who are "weak to CC" and dumb/wonky balance in general has pretty steadily eroded away my enjoyment of the game though

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I've also only had a handful of games hit an hour in 200 played. Most are over at about 45 mins, and the stomps are 25.

this still sounds abysmal

Dilkington posted:

HOTS's developers should have learned from DOTA 2 that engine quirks are actually great game design. They should have made it so you could only regenerate mana by b-stepping, or you got invincibility frames from opening and closing the chat window.

it's an important skill to find opportunities to safely b-step mid-fight, and doing so effectively requires good timing and drains your concentration, as well as preventing you from continuing a prolonged fight without slowing down your movement and making yourself vulnerable. bstep-only mana regen adds a lot of much needed depth to the game

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 21, 2018

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

The key is that there's someone else there, and you don't want them to kill it. You also don't want them hitting it.

I like HotS, but HotS farming is farming that requires no thought. DotA farming requires you to engage with the enemy from the very start.

the fact that last hitting creates a complex situation isn't really in question. that's not what "tedious" means, "tedious" means that despite the system being complex it still isn't interesting or fun to engage in.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

lmao

If you don't enjoy fighting enemy players, and you don't enjoy avoiding enemy players to play farmville, then no, dota has nothing to offer. :v:

I like fighting enemy players

I don't like contesting the final few hit points of minions constantly, for tiny rewards that nontheless are crippling to ignore long term. I want to smack around enemy players.

I could play exclusively gankers or something but if I'm not into all of the other baggage that comes with that other than "doesn't have to deal with last hitting" I'm kind of out of luck

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the late night HOTS queues are basically dead, but during the day i've been able to queue into matches at pretty good times if i'm playing warrior/healer or grouped with someone playing warrior/healer

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't really care about the wings or most of the animation gripes, but him stabbing them and lifting them up is a really weird animation. like there's supposed to be an end part that they just cut out.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Toady posted:

I started watching but couldn't finish. He doesn't like Imperius' wings? Who cares?

it is genuinely odd that imperius' wings change when you go from skin preview to the in game model. some of the other stuff he goes into is that the stab looks really weak, and his slowing initiating move is just a recolor of medivh's one damage dealing ability. also, the sword ult is li ming's basic ability, again, and his other ult looks kinda weak (i don't really agree with this. surprised that he didn't really go into how it's a recycle of johanna's ult too though)

of all of these, the only ones i find terribly noteworthy are the stab, because it does look really bad and weird, and that the wings change size between skin preview and ingame. the rest i'd agree aren't good but i genuinely just don't really care about it.

the heavy asset reuse doesn't spell good things for the future of the game though, they're clearly starting to cut some corners here

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i mean it's one thing among many, yeah? obviously it's not as big an indicator as them killing the esports scene, what's your point

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think a big difference between overwatch lootboxes and HOTS lootboxes is that HOTS lootboxes have a ton more trash in them. a new overwatch account that buys 100 lootboxes is going to start getting lots of duplicates halfway through that, which means they'll be able to use the currency gained from dups to grab whatever they want. if a new HOTS account were to buy 100 lootboxes, they'd probably still be getting mostly new emojis, and if they didn't happen to roll the legendary skin they wanted, they might not have enough shards to grab it. HOTS' lootboxes are just a bad value proposition, because the chance that you'll end up with nothing that you wanted is very high, and unless you've bought an immense number of lootboxes anyways, there's not the same backup "failsafe" mechanism to make sure you can still end up with the skin you desire.

so not only do you have to pay to play overwatch, but like, you're getting a much better deal out of buying overwatch lootboxes too, so it's pretty win-win in comparison to HOTS

also, does anyone have any opinions on like, how imperius plays in the game?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

HOTS seemed to have a respectably sized community, at least before esports died.it wasn't as big as Dota or LoL, obviously, but it wasn't like HOTS has been some bizarre ghost town of a game populated only by the diehard fans. The game died because Activision pulled the plug on it because despite a decently sized user base, it wasn't making money, which points to the problem as being primarily monitization.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So how am I supposed to play rexar, other than "try and fail to grab up every merc camp"

Controlling man and bear at the same time is interesting but I'm struggling to see what I'm really even supposed to be trying to do during fights. Either I keep rexar back and my team complains about how I don't do anything, or I play a little more aggressively and rexar gets gibbed instantly

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is there a video of that

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i love putting that mount on characters with "evil" designs like diablo

the loving goblin is the best chogall mount possible though

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

diablo in his serious, rigid horse-riding animation as the stuffed unicorn he's on gently rocks back and forth and its head flops from side to side is loving hilarious

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

imperius' level 1 brand talent is loving nuts. effectively, while your e is active, all your basic attacks do 2.5% enemy's max hp damage, +you also get to do more max hp based damage in bursts from the other abilities every once in a while too. you're not like, tychus levels of tank-killer, but from that single talent your damage becomes massive vs anyone, but especially tanks.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the game always expects varian to play a tank, but varian never does. the game should just assume varian is an assassin, and let the player maybe decide to go tank

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

bamhand posted:

My favorite was the Twin Blades Varian that complained our team had no front line. Assuming Varian is an assassin then fucks over the other team if he decides to go tank. Technically the current system is more fair because your team is hosed over when someone on it makes a bad decision as opposed to your team being hosed over when someone on the other team makes a good decision.

this still happens under the current system, although it's rare. the system determines that he can be either a tank or an assassin, so he's eligible for both roles, though surprisingly tanks are needed far more often than assassins are. still, i've definitely seen games of 1 tank vs 1 tank + a varian

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

They actually made comments and explanations for every single change, even ones that are just one talent adjustment. :psyduck:

i appreciate this quite a bit

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

so those cho'gall buffs:

the change to runed gauntlet is uh, nuts? used to be .75s cooldown reduction on ults every basic attack, which was pointless. now that it's 5%, on the 60second cooldown ults, that's a 3 second cooldown per basic attack. which is kind of bonkers?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

These patch notes revealed to me that apparently rexxar is good, something that I've never particularly heard and did not personally think when I played him

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

current syl seems kind of like "gimmicky raynor" to me, but also i never really enjoyed playing as or against old syl, and also i don't really enjoy playing as or against new syl either

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

There was a period of time that was like that once

I think everyone except me hated it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i love playing abathur but for some reason, moreso than any other hero, every single game some dumbass has Opinions on my play. no matter how well i or the team is doing, Someone always needs to point out what i should be doing and how i'm costing us the game

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

tried a few games as gul'dan with new RoD. it seems, like, ok. i dunno maybe there's some other killer use for it that i'm not getting but it doesn't really seem worth the huge cooldown, given how inconsistent its damage is. honestly if it didn't have the channel time i still wouldn't find it incredible. then again, horrify has always been a "pretty alright but not spectacular" ult anyway so now it kinda almost has competition

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The best thing about rain of destruction is how you can just basically ignore it since it doesn't do damage and only does what...like a slow? Or something? It's usually just a big "kill guldan now i guess" sign.

the slow is the level 20 upgrade

i mean it's a pretty decent slow, if you make some assumptions about it ever being applied that aren't really true. -90% movement speed for .5 seconds every time they get hit, it's kind of like a budget earthquake ult from thrall.

it'd almost be worth taking if it like, removed the channel time and increased duration by 3 seconds. but also: that should be done to the base level 10 pick

as current RoD stands, the channel is kind of just annoying more than anything else. the range is kind of an issue. seems like ideally you want to use RoD right as a teamfight begins, and theoretically the other team is going to try to walk away, either because they see the ult getting popped and don't want to fight in its aoe, or because it does a bunch of aoe damage (lol) and scares them off. so, you'd want to aim RoD so that is center is a bit behind the enemy team, but the casting range is short enough that that typically means you're walking much closer to their frontline than you want to.

of course, also in practice, the enemy team can ignore it and probably end up fine. it'll probably do as much DPS over its 7 second duration as a well placed fel flame would've in the 1.5 seconds you spent channeling. it's no longer "an active detriment to use" and now "just kind of bad"

you can get some decent value out of it if you have a teamfight in front of an enemy fort though, forts have a large enough hitbox that you'll probably get some alright siege damage out of it in addition to hitting the enemy team.

i've frequently found myself throwing it at like, bosses or whatever because if i miss out on using it in a teamfight it's not exactly a huge deal anyway. of course, since it has a 90 second cooldown for some reason, i almost certainly do miss a "good" use of it as a result

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 24, 2019

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

doverhog posted:

Also the last time I played Gul was in a brawl where I was yelled at for taking drain life talents and not doing enough damage.

"stacking life drain talents" was the kind of thing i'd always dismissed as a pretty silly idea until i actually had the displeasure of playing an assassin focusing guldan and watched him outheal my damage

trying it out myself i don't fully understand who my priority targets with it are or how i should position myself but it seems pretty rad

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

RoD is much better if you take the "life tap increases the damage of your next ability" talent at 16, since it turns out that that applies to RoD too

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i've been playing around with it more. seems like it'd be much better in draft modes where you probably have some guarantee that you'll have some form of frontline, and also the enemy team will have some form of frontline. if i can catch people out of position with my corruption damage + 50% slow + boosted life drain, it's pretty rad, and if there's a tank in front of me and a tank in front of the enemy team, i can throw that same combo onto the tank if the other team is staying in position and have ~the same contribution as chucking fel flames but while healing myself from 30% to full and not expending mana.

in QM matches where the "frontline" is like, a murkey on my team and alarak on their team, life drain build does not seem very effective, as i either have to overextend to hit their squishies who will all focus fire me because obviously, or i'll get bodied by alarak/thrall/whoever because there's no one in front of me to let me safely stand still for 5 seconds.

i will say that life drain build seems like the best build for going RoD. your primary talent is single target DPS and you're sacrificing gul'dan's usual heavy aoe DPS to get it, so having the big aoe damage ult makes sense to cover that loss, and you'll be picking up darkness within at 16 as part of your build anyway which gives RoD some actual value.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the problem with gul'dan in qm is that 80% of the time the corruption build is the best choice, but it's also the most boring build

i'd be interested to see what other people think of new RoD, i've played enough games forcing myself to take it that i probably need to stop before i completely forget how to land a horrify.

honestly, it actually is pretty good if you're taking darkness within, though this might be stockholm syndrome

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Charles Bukowski posted:

What makes Abathur and Illidan such a deadly duo?

illidan's default attack speed keeps his trait from making him overpowered

abathur permanently changes that

in a draft mode you could pick blinds or hard-cc and make the combo useless but in qm there's a very high likelihood that your team comp is incapable of dealing with a half decent illi-aba running amok

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

anecdotally, i've been seeing way more medivhs than i had previously. dunno why he's really popular all of the sudden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Medivhs trying to kill me when I'm playing as aba behind towers is always really funny. It's cool when they pull it off, but most of the time I see them coming and start walking in circles around the fort, my tantalizingly low health tricking them into staying committed and dying before they manage to gate out.

I much prefer dying to medivh trying to bullshit his way behind towers than to a li ming who's found some bizarre angle that lets them blast me from the safety of the jungle