Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
As a non wrestling person, where did the ladder match in general come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

There's a limited amount of objects that could feasibly be left around in a place where a wrestling show can take place. So when you start getting into the 70s and the popularity of no disqualification bouts like the Brass Knuckles Championship and similar matches you start seeing a large variety of weapons come into play. Chairs, ladders, etc would obviously need to be in a venue and so they become very common. The logic behind why all this stuff is under the ring doesn't make sense until you remember that it has it's roots in a time when wrestling matches were held in places like bingo halls and Elks lodges, where under the ring is a perfectly sensible place to store things that belong to the promoter. Eventually these props get used enough that certain wrestlers get associated with them, once that happens it makes sense to book a match based around the prop.
That makes sense, thanks. This is all new to me. In MMA the space under the ring is only used to hide from piss collectors.

• Locked thread