Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

quote this post every time systemd continues to own while some idiot on the internet gets bent out of shape because competent developers don't want to add a bunch of special cases to save said idiot from specific instances of his own incompetence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Gazpacho posted:

init/rc was still good, and everyone whose main complaint is "babby doesn't wanna read shell scripts :qq:" proves this

Breakfast All Day posted:

horse poo poo shovelers upset over the invention of the engine

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
sorry u don't know poo poo from handicrafts, not my problem

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

raymond chen does the same thing that lennart does in his "airtight hatchway" commentaries and nobody blasts him for it afaik

uh, no

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
systemd is bad

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

RISCy Business posted:

systemd is bad

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

cistem-d

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
systemd again :troll:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Gazpacho posted:

raymond chen does the same thing that lennart does in his "airtight hatchway" commentaries and nobody blasts him for it afaik

still i'm hoping that at some point we get to watch lennart talk back to the MITRE corporation folks

raymond chen's response would have been along the lines of "this behavior is unfortunate, but isn't a security vulnerability on its own because you have to be root to install the malformed file in the first place", which is quite different from "this behavior is completely fine"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Systemd is good and Lennart is just alphaing you nerds to oblivion

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Breakfast All Day posted:

horse poo poo shovelers upset over the invention of the engine

maybe we could compromise and invent some kind of engine that runs on horse poo poo?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

maybe we could compromise and invent some kind of engine that runs on horse poo poo?

they already did

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If you got death threats because you made a init system, you wouldn't put up with whiney nerd poo poo heads either.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

If you got death threats because you made a init system, you wouldn't put up with whiney nerd poo poo heads either.

this

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
the d stands for "don't use systemd"

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
genesis does what systemdon't

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

RISCy Business posted:

the d stands for "don't use systemd"

it actually stands for "dope"

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yeah, as in "you're a dope for using it."

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Doc Block posted:

:drat:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Doc Block posted:

:wrong:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Doc Block posted:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

lookit this fukken dope

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

death threats for that? lol, dude must be abrasive as hell

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Max Facetime posted:

death threats for that? lol, dude must be abrasive as hell

you never seen a 4chan zerg rush before?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
also the dude is insanely abrasive for heading one of the most controversial projects

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

he's much nicer/more professional now than before

seem to remember some douchness/kay sievers-esqueness when he attended conferences when systemd was in its infancy, but i haven't seen any of that kind in years. must had a lot of training responding to the kind of comments you see in this thread

dont get why people continue slamming poettering for closing that """0day""" bug, the behaviour seems completely reasonable

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Doc Block posted:

same thing the d in linux stands for, actually

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Tankakern posted:

he's much nicer/more professional now than before

seem to remember some douchness/kay sievers-esqueness when he attended conferences when systemd was in its infancy, but i haven't seen any of that kind in years. must had a lot of training responding to the kind of comments you see in this thread

dont get why people continue slamming poettering for closing that """0day""" bug, the behaviour seems completely reasonable

tbf it is actually pretty dumb because you're supposed to react to invalid input by stopping and raising an error. silently ignoring bad input and continuing anyway is something a php programmer would do.

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/6300

so this is getting fixed in upstream.

well hey, nobody is perfect.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Tankakern posted:

"hey, this persion [accidentally | intentionally] put in an invalid username. should we not run that task and raise an error? nope, let's just run it as root!" isn't reasonable behavior.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

akadajet posted:

same thing the d in linux stands for, actually

actually, Linux has no d, much like yourself.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it is kind of frustrating that neither smf nor systemd is portable

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I agree, all operating systems should be identical except for the name (so that we still have some way to tell them apart)

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

init systems typically aren't

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
/etc/rc is plenty portable

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hackbunny posted:

init systems typically aren't

no reason they couldn't be, though

smf is non-portable because the authors had a hardon for "doors," a Solaris-only ipc method. it could have been written without

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

smf is non-portable because the authors had a hardon for "doors," a Solaris-only ipc method.
ha ha, someone sure showed micro$oft with that one!

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

You ( DON'T ) want Daemon Tools.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
and launchd is written around Mach messaging, an IPC and process activation mechanism only found on superior Mach-based operating systems

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
mods, i think there's something wrong wtih the thread title. maybe look into it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

mods, i think there's something wrong wtih the thread title. maybe look into it?

looks perfect to me

• Locked thread