Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Helianthus Annuus posted:

could have easily avoided the prob by saying "im a bsd admin :smugdog:" somewhere in this post

wait, are you telling me that freebieSD doesn't have systemd?

brb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Doom Mathematic posted:

What's systemd, and why should I care?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

its good, and because its good you dont have to care about it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Breakfast All Day posted:

its good, and because its good you dont have to care about it

one ought to at this point do a poll to see how many mac, linux, and windows users, respectively, knows what the system that starts up services and poo poo is named. it might turn out that the linux users may be the ones very busy caring. this thread being rather full of them

pram
Jun 10, 2001
launchd

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i suspect even among nerds here there are fewer people who know that than knows systemd though (down to it being written by adults and just doing the fantastically simplistic thing it is for). i am not even sure it has a name, beyond the long-running daemon processes being a rather more specific thing in services, in windows

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

semi-surprised yospos isn't all over PoC||GTFO

PoC||GTFO is really cool but I'm also too stupid to follow half of it

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i mirrored poc||gtfo for a hot minute

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

systemd-networkd can renew lease and such, but it's all or nothing now, you have to do a `systemctl restart systemd-networkd´

would be nice if some patches got posted to networkctl that could do dhcp stuff in the more traditional way

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

systemdeez

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
remember when ppl pissed themselves because systemd dared to store metadata in the logs

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
remember when they touted binary log formats and then everyone realized they were stupid and flipped the plain text option

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
ahahah

https://twitter.com/diodesign/status/881297275070234624

i still like systemd but geez

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

sigh-stemd

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
and now for the lennart poettering post about how it's working as expected and is actually a fault in the [kernel|user|stars].

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

yeah, its already in the gh issue #worksforme #wontfix

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

because on some systems NAME_REGEX is sometimes configured to not allow usernames starting with a number therefore systemd correctly runs them as root or whatever

- lennart "now that's a" poettering

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

this is art lmao

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

despite all of this though, I still love systemd because it is the best a Linux man can getTM

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

semi-surprised yospos isn't all over PoC||GTFO

there aren't any PoC in yospos

pram
Jun 10, 2001

carry on then posted:

this is art lmao

:discourse:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

this is art lmao

that in poettering's mind having differing behaviors for "invalid username" and "valid, but nonexistant" is is just :monocle:, and that one of those behaviors should be "well gently caress it, just run as root" is just :monocle:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

lmao

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
[extremely dumbass voice] systemd is good

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

RISCy Business posted:

[extremely awesome voice] systemd is good

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

thats not what i said

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
this actually demonstrate a strength of systemd:
with systemd you fix the bug upstream and your done
with bash spaghetti who knows where the bug is hiding. could be in any of the million bespoke scripts that may or may not have been molested by your distro of choice

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

with systemd you fix the bug upstream and your done
with bash spaghetti who knows where the bug is hiding. could be in any of the million bespoke scripts that may or may not have been molested by your distro of choice

Breakfast All Day posted:

horse poo poo shovelers upset over the invention of the engine

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

with systemd upstream tells you it isn't a bug so you just keep running your services as root because upstream knows best

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, systemd/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, systemd plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning systemd system made useful by the systemd corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by systemd.
Many computer users run a modified version of the systemd system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of systemd which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the systemd system, developed by the systemd Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the systemd operating system: the whole system is basically systemd with Linux added, or systemd/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of systemd/Linux.
stolen from twitter

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

systemd/CentOS is cool and good

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
for a clown to use

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

http://troubleshooters.com/linux/systemd/lol_systemd.htm

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol_systemd.htm

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

carry on then posted:

this is art lmao

he seems to be wrong a lot

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
raymond chen does the same thing that lennart does in his "airtight hatchway" commentaries and nobody blasts him for it afaik

still i'm hoping that at some point we get to watch lennart talk back to the MITRE corporation folks

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
init/rc was still good, and everyone whose main complaint is "babby doesn't wanna read shell scripts :qq:" proves this

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

yeah i can totally make poo poo up wholesale too. lemme try.

"mmm, i love to eat my own turds. yummy yummy turds" - this page's author, allegedly.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

init/rc was still good, and everyone whose main complaint is "babby doesn't wanna read shell scripts :qq:" proves this

lol

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
i like how systemd refuses to start a process that uses the same port without reporting an error to any log whatsoever, it just ignores the start command and then pretends like nothing's wrong and gives zero output

i hope you like how too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

• Locked thread