Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
As Kiki Fortold v.2.1

Removed the manamorphose because, while more free cantrips are nice, Jace is just better in the long game.
-2 Manamorphose
+2 Jace, Vice President
-1 Shivan Reef
-1 Island
+2 Tolaria West (because I'm an idiot and forgot about this card entirely for the first draft.)

Deck: As Kiki-Jiki Foretold

//Main
4 Ancestral Vision
4 As Foretold
4 Deceiver Exarch
4 Faithless Looting
3 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
3 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
3 Living End
2 Pact of Negation
2 Pestermite
4 Serum Visions
3 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Thought Scour

//Lands
1 Arid Mesa
2 Island
1 Misty Rainforest
2 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Steam Vents
2 Tolaria West

//Sideboard
3 Blood Moon
2 Ceremonious Rejection
3 Leyline of Sanctity
2 Shattering Spree
3 Surgical Extraction
2 Swan Song

Display deck statistics

Also, now including sideboard!

Beyond the smattering of decent hate cards, I've been thinking of trying out a transformational sideboard which allows me to swap out the graveyard-based Living End strategy with a with a board wipe Greater Gargadon/Restore Balance package for the inevitable Leyline of the Void/Spellbomb hateboard.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This is a budget modern deck, primarily focused on generating thopter tokens to reach one of three outcomes: Lethal damage by attack, pumping up Indomitable Creativity to drop Reckless Fireweavers and artifacts/token generators, or casting Mechanized Production on Prophetic Prism or Alchemist's Vial until you can get to 8 thopters.

Inspiring Statuary plays a key role in allowing you to more easily play out thopter generators, as well as allowing you to cast Indomitable Creativity on every artifact you own for RRR. Panharmonicon is included to double triggers on a lucky cast and Paradoxical Outcome and Cathartic Reunion are included in case you are not having luck drawing what you need.

It has been a real fun play so far, and currently costs under $5 from scratch online.

Deck: Indomitable

//Lands
10 Island
12 Mountain

//Spells
2 Alchemist's Vial
2 Cathartic Reunion
3 Indomitable Creativity
3 Inspiring Statuary
1 Mechanized Production
2 Panharmonicon
4 Paradoxical Outcome
2 Prophetic Prism

//Creatures
4 Ghirapur Gearcrafter
4 Maverick Thopterist
2 Ornithopter
3 Reckless Fireweaver
4 Thopter Engineer
2 Whirler Rogue

Display deck statistics

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

NofrikinfuN posted:

This is a budget modern deck, primarily focused on generating thopter tokens to reach one of three outcomes: Lethal damage by attack, pumping up Indomitable Creativity to drop Reckless Fireweavers and artifacts/token generators, or casting Mechanized Production on Prophetic Prism or Alchemist's Vial until you can get to 8 thopters.

Inspiring Statuary plays a key role in allowing you to more easily play out thopter generators, as well as allowing you to cast Indomitable Creativity on every artifact you own for RRR. Panharmonicon is included to double triggers on a lucky cast and Paradoxical Outcome and Cathartic Reunion are included in case you are not having luck drawing what you need.

It has been a real fun play so far, and currently costs under $5 from scratch online.

Deck: Indomitable

//Lands
10 Island
12 Mountain

//Spells
2 Alchemist's Vial
2 Cathartic Reunion
3 Indomitable Creativity
3 Inspiring Statuary
1 Mechanized Production
2 Panharmonicon
4 Paradoxical Outcome
2 Prophetic Prism

//Creatures
4 Ghirapur Gearcrafter
4 Maverick Thopterist
2 Ornithopter
3 Reckless Fireweaver
4 Thopter Engineer
2 Whirler Rogue

Display deck statistics

That's a pretty sweet deck idea. Servo Schematic seems like it would be better than one of your other thopter generators. Same with the white puzzleknot as well, forget what the name is. Also you really need some more red sources in there, hitting RRR of of 14 of them is pretty ambitious.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer

little munchkin posted:

That's a pretty sweet deck idea. Servo Schematic seems like it would be better than one of your other thopter generators. Same with the white puzzleknot as well, forget what the name is. Also you really need some more red sources in there, hitting RRR of of 14 of them is pretty ambitious.

Thanks for the feedback. Now that you mention it though, I made a mistake entering the deck list. I've actually been playing 4 Prophetic Prism and 2 Paradoxical Outcome. You're correct RRR being out of reach sometimes, so what I might try is tuning the lands more toward Mountains and maybe swapping the Whirler Rogue out for either Servo Schematic or Aspiring Aeronaut to reduce the instances of UU.

So far my favorite finishes have been big splashes with Indomitable Creativity, but I don't think I've been using Paradoxical Outcome right. I should be casting it on their turn so I have all mana available with a full hand, at which point I may want to add Fateful Showdown back in as an alternate win condition. I've gotten to 15 cards in hand without much trouble, so it could make a pretty solid finisher.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
So this is definitely the thread for a deck I found after its relevant bannings: Jeskai Ascendancy. It's a storm deck that doesn't use Grapeshot or Empty the Warrens, but instead uses Jeskai Ascendancy to pump a bunch of mana dorks for lethal. It takes a little bit on board to get started, and it needs the critical mass of cantrips in hand to get going, but once it starts it's pretty tough to stop (outside of blowing up the enchantment). This version of it is mainly green & blue since it wants mana dorks and cantrips to get going, and it has a splash of white for Glittering Wish which is a pretty cool card. Not only do the Glittering Wishes operate like Jeskai Ascendancy 4-7, but they also let you pull some hateful cards into your normal play and ensure a win once you've got some steam rolling.

When it comes to the sideboard there's really only about five cards one might ever want to bring in: Silence, Path, and a couple counterspells. The other cards are part of the Glittering Wish package (which is really cool). The big one is probably Sphinx's Revelation, since a few cantrips untapping 3+ dorks nets a lot of mana very quickly and Rev lets you turn that into more cards. Scarscale Ritual & Firespout can be used as different little acts of desperation: Scarscale can draw you a couple cards if you don't have enough mana for Rev and Firespout can wipe the board of smaller creatures if you need to buy yourself another turn. I rarely finish the long way, but Debt to the Deathless theoretically gets past Worship & Angel's Grace while the latter half of Flesh//Blood lets you dome the opponent.

Anyway it's a fun deck that I like to experiment with online, but I imagine it'd be a bit of a headache to play in person! Let me know if you've got any questions about it or neat cards that might slot in somewhere.

Deck: Jeskai Ascendancy

//Lands
4 Botanical Sanctum
1 Breeding Pool
3 Flooded Strand
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
2 Polluted Delta
2 Steam Vents

//Spells
4 Cerulean Wisps
4 Glittering Wish
4 Ideas Unbound
3 Jeskai Ascendancy
2 Manamorphose
1 Mystic Speculation
1 Open the Armory
4 Serum Visions
1 Shimmering Wings
4 Sleight of Hand
2 Wind Zendikon

//Creatures
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Fatestitcher
4 Sylvan Caryatid

//Sideboard
1 Bound // Determined
1 Debt to the Deathless
1 Firespout
1 Flesh // Blood
1 Hide // Seek
1 Jeskai Ascendancy
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Manamorphose
1 Scarscale Ritual
2 Spell Pierce
1 Sphinx's Revelation
2 Swan Song
1 Wheel of Sun and Moon

Display deck statistics

e: Updated and won a match with damage today, two Birds & a Blood flew over their turn 3 Hunted Horror+Sundial

myDad fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 26, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

myDad posted:

So this is definitely the thread for a deck I found after its relevant bannings: Jeskai Ascendancy. It's a storm deck that doesn't use Grapeshot or Empty the Warrens, but instead uses Jeskai Ascendancy to pump a bunch of mana dorks for lethal. It takes a little bit on board to get started, and it needs the critical mass of cantrips in hand to get going, but once it starts it's pretty tough to stop (outside of blowing up the enchantment). This version of it is mainly green & blue since it wants mana dorks and cantrips to get going, and it has a splash of white for Glittering Wish which is a pretty cool card. Not only do the Glittering Wishes operate like Jeskai Ascendancy 4-7, but they also let you pull some hateful cards into your normal play and ensure a win once you've got some steam rolling.

When it comes to the sideboard there's really only about five cards one might ever want to bring in: Silence, Path, and a couple counterspells. The other cards are part of the Glittering Wish package (which is really cool). The big one is probably Sphinx's Revelation, since a few cantrips untapping 3+ dorks nets a lot of mana very quickly and Rev lets you turn that into more cards. Scarscale Ritual & Firespout can be used as different little acts of desperation: Scarscale can draw you a couple cards if you don't have enough mana for Rev and Firespout can wipe the board of smaller creatures if you need to buy yourself another turn. I rarely finish the long way, but Debt to the Deathless theoretically gets past Worship & Angel's Grace while the latter half of Flesh//Blood lets you dome the opponent.

Anyway it's a fun deck that I like to experiment with online, but I imagine it'd be a bit of a headache to play in person! Let me know if you've got any questions about it or neat cards that might slot in somewhere.

Jeskai Ascendancy was one of my pet decks back when it was still really viable. After the bannings of Cruise and Dig, a lot of people swapped to a package with Visions of the Beyond since Thought Scour helps fuel it and incidentally also helps get your Fatestitchers into the grave.

Most versions of the deck ran one or two Faerie Conclaves, too, as a dork you can generate mana off of. Plus, it was a flier and dodged sorcery speed removal as a man-land, so if you could still get a hit in if the opponent was good as gumming up the ground.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 25, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

AlternateNu posted:

Jeskai Ascendancy was one of my pet decks back when it was still really viable. After the bannings of Cruise and Dig, a lot of people swapped to a package with Visions of the Beyond since Thought Scour helps fuel it and incidentally also helps get your Fatestitchers into the grave.

Most versions of the deck ran one or two Faerie Conclaves, too, as a dork you can generate mana off of. Plus, it was a flier and dodged sorcery speed removal as a man-land, so if you could still get a hit in if the opponent was good as gumming up the ground.

Very cool! I imagine the deck was very powerful with Cruise and Dig. I'm using Ideas Unbound as a similar spell, UU for draw three and with the downside being end-of-turn you can cast them any time you want to go off.

I have a Wind Zendikon that I'm using to similar effect (upside being it could be cast when going off), but I could envision a version utilizing the man-land alongside Abundant Growth and maybe Weirding Wood.

e: Updated the list & got to play the combo to its end today. It strikes me that Disrupting Shoal could have a place in the deck in case I take it to FNM & have to contend with tier decks (tons of cantrips to exile in order to counter 1 mana removal or discard spells). Might be too much card disadvantage to swing though.

myDad fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 26, 2017

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I remembered I hate Modern, so I went back to the drawing board on my Indomitable Creativity deck. Overall, I think it may have turned out better. Welcome to the Puppet Show!

Deck: Puppet Show

//Lands
3 Aether Hub
12 Mountain
7 Swamp

//Spells
4 Indomitable Creativity
4 Inspiring Statuary
4 Panharmonicon
4 Prophetic Prism
4 Servo Schematic

//Creatures
4 Iron League Steed
4 Marionette Master
2 Ravenous Intruder
4 Reckless Fireweaver
4 Weaponcraft Enthusiast

Display deck statistics

So far, my favorite finish was an Indomitable Creativity for 3 on turn 6 that netted 2 Marionette Masters and a Ravenous Intruder. I put counters on the first Master, made servos with the second, then sacrificed all 3 plus two other servos I had out for lethal damage. While it won't be winning any tournaments, it definitely has the potential to ruin someones day. (Still under five tickets online, too.)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I had a profoundly stupid deck idea over God-Pharaoh's Gift and it goes something like this:

Deck: Affinity for Flying Filigree Zombies

//Lands
3 Geier Reach Sanitarium
13 Mountain
4 Westvale Abbey

//Spells
4 Cathartic Reunion
1 Fling
4 Gate to the Afterlife
4 Harnessed Lightning
4 Shock

//Creatures
2 Chief of the Foundry
4 Hope of Ghirapur
2 Metallic Mimic
4 Ornithopter
2 Pia Nalaar
4 Ravenous Intruder
4 Walking Ballista

//Other
1 god-pharaoh's gift

Display deck statistics

I don't think this is any good but I can't get it out of my head unless I post the list. :negative:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 26, 2017

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I've been playing this or something like it in Standard post Marvel ban and I'm on an absolute tear with it. Placed first for the first time ever in the local Standard event last week. Well, it was only three rounds, but it's just a super-fun deck that doesn't play fair at any point.

Deck: Grixis Tempo

//Lands
4 Aether Hub
2 Choked Estuary
4 Evolving Wilds
3 Island
2 Mountain
2 Smoldering Marsh
4 Spirebluff Canal
1 Sunken Hollow
1 Swamp

//Spells
2 Brutal Expulsion
1 Commit // Memory //
3 Fevered Visions
4 Harnessed Lightning
1 Kozilek's Return
3 Lay Bare the Heart

//Creatures
2 Bone Picker
1 Distended Mindbender
4 Elder Deep-Fiend
4 Glint-Sleeve Siphoner
2 Glorybringer
2 Glyph Keeper
2 Gonti, Lord of Luxury
2 Scrapheap Scrounger
4 Whirler Virtuoso

//Sideboard
1 Distended Mindbender
1 Fevered Visions
3 Kozilek's Return
3 Magma Spray
3 Negate
2 Reduce // Rubble //
2 Sweltering Suns

Display deck statistics

Basically, stick a threat, blow up everything on the other side of the board, finish with Elder Deep-Fiend if things start to get out of control. The flood of cards from an unanswered Glint-Sleeve or Fevered Visions is straight gas against many decks, and the format is kind of slow right now.

I'm not 100% sold on Distended Mindbender, Glyph Keeper, or Scrapheap Scrounger yet, but they're fun to play at least. Conceivably I could see 3-4 Glorybringers over Glyph Keeper, replace the Mindbenders with sideboard Transgress the Mind, maybe another Bone Picker MD. The control matchup is perhaps the toughest, though, and Mindbenders with the on-cast trigger are brutal there.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

I like the more combo-ish idea of using Sram and/or Paradoxical Outcome and all of the 0 cost equipment in BfZ and SoI.

I finally got around to trying this shell out with Efficient Construction to create thopter swarms. Good stuff, for sure.

I'm considering borrowing from SaffronOlive's playbook and tossing in Sigarda's Aid so I can do Paradoxical Outcome into a bunch of thopters at their end step.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sigarda's Aid only lets you cast Auras and Equipment as though they had flash.

Edit: Oh never mind, the thopters come from Efficient Construction, sorry.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Siivola posted:

Sigarda's Aid only lets you cast Auras and Equipment as though they had flash.

Edit: Oh never mind, the thopters come from Efficient Construction, sorry.

I suppose I could have been clearer about that. Also, I was testing it with auras as a soft removal strategy, stuff like Spontaneous Mutation (which already has Flash) and Captured by the Consulate. I figured captured would double as interference for targeted removal against Metallic Mimic and Chief of the Foundry, but it's too expensive to really be viable. I suppose a couple counterspell variants would be better, but I'm too stupid to play counters effectively.

Still, the deck can go off pretty suddenly with Sram or Paradoxical Outcome and can get nuts with both.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I figured I might as well try and brew up a cheap mono-red deck for standard, since it seems likely to be somewhat good.

Deck: RDW

//Lands
10 Mountain
4 Ramunap Ruins
4 Sunscorched Desert

//Spells
2 Abrade
4 Harnessed Lightning
4 Incendiary Flow
4 Magma Spray

//Creatures
4 Aether Chaser
4 Ahn-Crop Crasher
4 Burning-Fist Minotaur
4 Earthshaker Khenra
2 Eldrazi Obligator
4 Falkenrath Gorger
2 Kari Zev, Skyship Raider
4 Soul-Scar Mage

Display deck statistics

This is a very rough build, but I figure you want to go low to the ground. The creatures I'm not really sure about are Aether Chaser and Iron-Fist Minotaur. I mean, two power first strike for 2 mana seems good and the Aether Chaser will basically always make a thopter.
The removal spells and their numbers can be tweaked obviously, this is just a quick draft. I like flow because it can go to the face if need be. Maybe it should be a full set of Abrade and no Harnessed Lightnings and maybe there should be some Cartouche of Zeal in there as pseudo-removal.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
So I've been tempted to make u/w tempo list for when rotation hits. I have the cards for jeskai gifts for standard. But spoilers have really been tempting me with a flying tempo deck. So this is what I have outlined so far:

Jeskai tempo theoretical deck

Creatures: (around 26)

4x Siren Stormtamer
4x rw 2/2 flying menace dino
4x Storm Fleet Aerialist
4x Nimble Obstructionist
4x Aven Mindcensor
4x Dreamcaller Siren
2x Angel of Invention

Spells: (around 14-18)
4x Spell Pierce
4x Favorable Winds
4x Lightning Strike
4x Chart a Course
2x Heart of Kiran

Land: (22-ish)
4x Spirebluff Canal
3x Inspiring Vantage
4x Irrigated Farmland
4x glacial fortress
Any other relevant duals?
Mix of basics

Sideboard:
- removal
- counterspells (maybe the pierces should go in here and have generalist counters in for now, may e Lookouts Dispersal?)
- mass path

Options:

- storm fleet aerialist is probably the weakest card on the list, but if I run lookouts dispersal in the main it definitely makes that better.
- increase the number of hearts and add some aethersphere harvesters?

- I know favorable winds is a bad card, but I want to play it at fnm level.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Seems like you may need more creatures, maybe cutting a spell pierce and 1 chart the course for something. Or if all else fails, Insult // Injury can swing so many games when playing UR Drake, I could see it being the same thing here.

In other news, Temur control.

Deck: Temur Control

//Planeswalker
2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

//Creatures
2 Torrential Gearhulk
4 Servant of the Conduit
3 Rogue Refiner
3 Whirler Virtuoso
2 Glorybringer
3 Bristling Hydra
1 Skysovereign, Consul Flagship
1 Aethersphere Harvester

//Spells
4 Attune with Aether
2 Essence Scatter
1 Pulse of Murasa
3 Glimmer of Genius
4 Harnessed Lightning
2 Abrade
1 Brutal Expulsion

//Lands
4 Aether Hub
1 Island
3 Mountain
4 Forest
4 Spirebluff Canal
2 Lumbering Falls
4 Botanical Sanctum

//Sideboard
1 Aethersphere Harvester
2 Magma Spray
1 Abrade
1 Essence Scatter
1 Sweltering Suns
2 Kozilek's Return
2 Negate
2 Elder Deep-Fiend
1 Chandra's Defeat
1 Struggle // Survive
1 Confiscation Coup

Display deck statistics

I will be playing this at nationals this week, and want to here what people think. Essentially it is a post-sideboard Temur Energy deck, taking out the Cubs for a higher curve and card draw. Looking online I saw most sideboard plans for Zombies and Red are taking out cubs anyway.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Mezzanon posted:

So I've been tempted to make u/w tempo list for when rotation hits. I have the cards for jeskai gifts for standard. But spoilers have really been tempting me with a flying tempo deck. So this is what I have outlined so far:

Jeskai tempo theoretical deck

Creatures: (around 26)

4x Siren Stormtamer
4x rw 2/2 flying menace dino
4x Storm Fleet Aerialist
4x Nimble Obstructionist
4x Aven Mindcensor
4x Dreamcaller Siren
2x Angel of Invention

Spells: (around 14-18)
4x Spell Pierce
4x Favorable Winds
4x Lightning Strike
4x Chart a Course
2x Heart of Kiran

Land: (22-ish)
4x Spirebluff Canal
3x Inspiring Vantage
4x Irrigated Farmland
4x glacial fortress
Any other relevant duals?
Mix of basics

Sideboard:
- removal
- counterspells (maybe the pierces should go in here and have generalist counters in for now, may e Lookouts Dispersal?)
- mass path

Options:

- storm fleet aerialist is probably the weakest card on the list, but if I run lookouts dispersal in the main it definitely makes that better.
- increase the number of hearts and add some aethersphere harvesters?

- I know favorable winds is a bad card, but I want to play it at fnm level.

I like Kinjalli's Sunwing for a tempo-skies deck, especially since it crushes decks like RDW. Not sure how good Aven Mindcensor is going to be, it seems more a SB card. IDK if you want to move your curve out a bit but two glorybringers might be good.

Personally I'm going to try a thopter-energy deck for fun now that Favorable Winds exists.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

TheDemon posted:

I like Kinjalli's Sunwing for a tempo-skies deck, especially since it crushes decks like RDW. Not sure how good Aven Mindcensor is going to be, it seems more a SB card. IDK if you want to move your curve out a bit but two glorybringers might be good.

Personally I'm going to try a thopter-energy deck for fun now that Favorable Winds exists.

I agree completely. Didn't see the sun wing on my original look through spoilers but I like it. I was considering glorybringers as well, maybe instead of the angels (or move angel to the board)

Come on thunderclap wyvern reprint!

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Honestly, I think UR tempo will be good enough.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
here's what I would plan around for suicide aggro:

rakdos suicide aggro
4x walking ballista
4x bone picker
4x scrapheap scrounger
4x wanted scoundrels
4x bloodrage brawler
some number of deadeye tracker, ruin raider, vicious conquistador, gifted aetherborn (maybe)
_x Hazoret
2x Glorybringer (might actually be too high on the curve)

4x lightning strike
4x unlicensed disintegration
4x cut//ribbons

Dragonskull summit
aether hub probably
lands

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Vance's Blasting Cannons makes me happy, I'm slamming that poo poo in every red deck.
Maybe a U/R tower deck?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

A DRAKE VARIANT WITH CANNONS!
Deck: Drakenap + Cannons!

//Lands
6 Island
6 Mountain
4 Ramunap Ruins
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Sunscorched Desert

//Spells
2 Cathartic Reunion
3 Chart a Course
4 Lightning Strike
4 Opt
3 Reduce // Rubble
3 Vance's Blasting Cannons

//Creatures
4 Bloodrage Brawler
4 Champion of Wits
4 Enigma Drake
2 Hazoret the Fervent
3 Nimble-Blade Khenra

Display deck statistics

YeehawMcKickass fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 16, 2017

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Quick and dirty build on Esper tempo. Please tell me how terrible we think it looks.

(Also how to make mana base better)

4x Siren Stormtamer
4x Kitesail Freebooter
4x Storm Fleet Aerialist
4x Skyship Plunderer
4x Nimble Obstructionist
4x Aven Mindcensor/Kinjali’s Sunwing
4x Dreamcaller Siren

4x Unsummon
4x Favorable Winds
4x Lookouts Dispersal

6x Island
2x Swamp
4x Unclaimed Territory
2x Concealed Courtyard
3x Glacial Fortress
3x Drowned Catacomb

Sideboard:
_x Fatal Push
_x Vraska’s Contempt (???)(might be too greedy)
4x Aven Mindcensor/Kinjali’s Sunwing
_x Duress
_x Cast Out/Ixalan’s Binding

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I've no real solutions for the manabase. This format doesn't seem to like esper and grixis manabases.

In order to get T1 and T2 plays in 3c, you need either:
Basic + Checkland
or
Fastland + Basic/Unclaimed/Hub

But running Unclaimed Territory or Aether Hub screws you out of the basics you need to run 8 checklands. My best attempts are probably 4 fastland, 2 checks of each pair, 1 of each cycler, 4 of either Unclaimed/Hub, and fill the rest with basic lands, but I'm particularly bad at manabase. That combo would give 8 basics and 2 cyclers in a 22-land deck, or 10 basics 2 cyclers in a 24-land, which you could maybe shift 2 basics to another of each checkland? But it just seems awkward all around.

Green can enable Jund, Naya, and Bant, and the enemy shards are fine because they get to run 7-8 fastlands and just ignore checklandss for the most part.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I'm trying to kinda get back into MTG a little, and was thinking of building some jank merfolk deck. What would be good to suggest for this? (It looks cheap and funny so I got interested.)

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Start with 4 Merfolk Branchwalker. It's probably the best merfolk in Standard right now. That's not saying much. Add in Kumena's Speaker and Deeproot Champion. A few $ for Metallic Mimic and maybe one or two Walking Ballista. 3 or 4 Vineshaper Mystic? Then one or two of Herald of the Secret Streams as the finisher, and pick your choice of 5cc curve-topper? As spells, run a few Blossoming Defense maindeck and 4 between main and side, Chart a Course or Opt (or both), and maybe a few Unsummon or Spell Pierce or even Supreme Will. Siren Stormtamer is also not out of place even though it's not a merfolk, as it can stop Settle the Wreckage.

I would almost be tempted to play Sultai. Gets you Fatal Push, Duress, and you can delve deep into GB counters, and you can top-end with The Scarab God (oh wait, you said cheap...).

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

TheDemon posted:

Siren Stormtamer is also not out of place even though it's not a merfolk, as it can stop Settle the Wreckage.

This is my favorite interaction and it wrecks so many people

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Mezzanon posted:

This is my favorite interaction and it wrecks so many people

My least favorite interaction is the MODO bug where it doesn't stop a Cast Out trigger, even though maybe it should? I think?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I'm not rolling out a new thread. We barely got into two pages with this one.

I will post a dumb deck later on to celebrate.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Here's a celebratory level zero stupid deck that sucks but plays off of a couple fun interactions. Improving it would be cool, but I doubt anyone's going to even look at this.

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Lands
4 Botanical Sanctum
17 Forest
4 Island

//Spells
2 Nissa, Steward of Elements
2 Nissa, Vital Force
4 Opt
4 Pounce
3 Savage Stomp
3 Spring // Mind

//Creatures
4 Drover of the Mighty
4 Merfolk Branchwalker
4 Ranging Raptors
1 Waker of the Wilds
4 Walking Ballista

Display deck statistics

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Here's a celebratory level zero stupid deck that sucks but plays off of a couple fun interactions. Improving it would be cool, but I doubt anyone's going to even look at this.

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Lands
4 Botanical Sanctum
17 Forest
4 Island

//Spells
2 Nissa, Steward of Elements
2 Nissa, Vital Force
4 Opt
4 Pounce
3 Savage Stomp
3 Spring // Mind

//Creatures
4 Drover of the Mighty
4 Merfolk Branchwalker
4 Ranging Raptors
1 Waker of the Wilds
4 Walking Ballista

Display deck statistics

I like the idea of this deck and I like Nissa SoE as a finisher, maybe it would be better to build it like elves with some growing rites of itlimoc and more card draw. MIght be a little too slow though and not as good at going wide as vampires.

Stangg fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 5, 2017

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

TheDemon posted:

My least favorite interaction is the MODO bug where it doesn't stop a Cast Out trigger, even though maybe it should? I think?

Cast out is an etb ability, not a target on cast. It's why you can Cast Out or O-Ring original Emrakul

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Archenteron posted:

Cast out is an etb ability, not a target on cast. It's why you can Cast Out or O-Ring original Emrakul

Yeah but stormtamer is counter target spell or ability thus it should be able to counter it?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Archenteron posted:

You should be able to use Siren Stormtamer at the ETB ability, which is a triggered ability. In fact, MODO allows you to target that triggered ability, which indicates it's a legal target - you wouldn't be able to use Siren Stormtamer at all without a legal target. But upon resolution, it tells you the target isn't legal and the triggered ability isn't countered.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
[Standard]
I'm trying to fine tune my Temergy deck for the meta I'm predicting (hopefully) correctly and would love some feedback from anyone who plays at the competitive level as I've just got back into it. Due to recent big tournament results I'm expecting Control (U/B and U/W), Tokens (Esper/Abzan), Temur and more vehicles than ramunap. Given this I have been toying with the idea of adding my T Hulks to the main to shore up all game 1s against non aggro and having a more varied counter suite in the side. I think Temurs matchup against aggro is quite strong anyway so I dont think I'll feel to bad for losing magma sprays from the main or board and deathgorge can do a good job of eating things that magma spray would have removed.

My only concern is how much having gearhulks in the main slows the deck down over say some more removal or another glorybringer, is this that much of a problem?

I have Rhonas because he is a house in the mirror and can win games if he sticks against other decks too, pumping thopters against tokens etc. Commit I kept in because with gearhulk it becomes a lot better, and end of turn Memory can give some insane value against anything not running counters. Despite expecting vehicles to be coming out of woodwork I think a single mainboard Abrade is correct, we still have lightnings at instant speed to deal with Kiran.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Lands (22)

4 Aether Hub
4 Botanical Sanctum
4 Forest
2 Island
1 Mountain
3 Rootbound Crag
1 Sheltered Thicket
3 Spirebluff Canal

Creatures (25)

3 Bristling Hydra
3 Glorybringer
4 Longtusk Cub
1 Rhonas the Indomitable
4 Rogue Refiner
4 Servant of the Conduit
4 Whirler Virtuoso
2 Torrential Gearhulk

Spells (13)

1 Abrade
1 Commit
2 Essence Scatter
4 Harnessed Lightning
4 Attune with Aether
1 Confiscation Coup

Sideboard (15)

2 Abrade
2 Appetite for the Unnatural
1 Confiscation Coup
2 Deathgorge Scavenger
2 Negate
1 River's Rebuke
2 Spell Pierce
1 Supreme Will

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I don't know if there's much to say about Temur Energy that hasn't already been said. I personally wonder if the 2 Essence Scatter are going to be as relevant in a meta where red is on the decline and control is on the upswing, but that's definitely not too controversial a choice.

Thing about gearhulk is you have exactly eight targets for it pre-sideboard. I think it's likely you get value out of it, but it's by no means guaranteed. In the control matchup you can flashback 2 Essence Scatter, 4 Harnessed Lightning (mostly not good), 1 Abrade (situational), and 1 Memory, so does it actually make your control matchup better? Honestly it seems best in a grind against midrange given your maindeck instants.

Post-board you bring in 5 counterspells. But notice something about all the energy-gearhulk lists? They have more instants. They often play Glimmer of Genius, even sometimes from the board. I'm looking at a list that brings in 7 counterspells for control, and 4 SB Negate seems normal. Two people in T8 at Canadian nationals had Slice in Twain spice from the SB for control matchups.

So perhaps Glimmer mainboard would help you support gearhulk mainboard? But I think you have to consider if your instants support Gearhulk both MD and SB - certainly there's nothing wrong with getting some combat step value out of Gearhulk -> Harnessed Lightning -> Block against aggressive decks.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

TheDemon posted:

I don't know if there's much to say about Temur Energy that hasn't already been said. I personally wonder if the 2 Essence Scatter are going to be as relevant in a meta where red is on the decline and control is on the upswing, but that's definitely not too controversial a choice.

Thing about gearhulk is you have exactly eight targets for it pre-sideboard. I think it's likely you get value out of it, but it's by no means guaranteed. In the control matchup you can flashback 2 Essence Scatter, 4 Harnessed Lightning (mostly not good), 1 Abrade (situational), and 1 Memory, so does it actually make your control matchup better? Honestly it seems best in a grind against midrange given your maindeck instants.

Post-board you bring in 5 counterspells. But notice something about all the energy-gearhulk lists? They have more instants. They often play Glimmer of Genius, even sometimes from the board. I'm looking at a list that brings in 7 counterspells for control, and 4 SB Negate seems normal. Two people in T8 at Canadian nationals had Slice in Twain spice from the SB for control matchups.

So perhaps Glimmer mainboard would help you support gearhulk mainboard? But I think you have to consider if your instants support Gearhulk both MD and SB - certainly there's nothing wrong with getting some combat step value out of Gearhulk -> Harnessed Lightning -> Block against aggressive decks.

While Temur is a long standing deck that I'm sure has been discussed to death I think there can still a lot to say about tuning it as the meta moves around (in much the same way as a control deck adapts to the meta shifts to stay relevant).

You make some very good points about my gearhulk targets in the mainboard, the likelihood of significant value is low (aside from vs midrange) and I didn't consider that, I've been staring at the list for so long I think I was starting to see it as a whole 75 instead of the starting 60. I started with 4 negates in the side but wanted to shift to 2 negate 2 pierce based on my perceived need to stick early threats against control, pierce protects an early hydra or cub one turn earlier which I think is quite significant and can be considered better against tokens and vehicles due to being more likely to stop a stockpile or heart.

My impression of Temur is it very much seems to be a powerful midrange deck that relies on hedging bets that you've positioned it well against the meta, I know the core cards make it quite restrictive but the flex spots make a big difference. I think the two scatters in the main play really well against everything that isn't approach or tokens.

Given those considerations I think will modify my tuning, maybe a supreme will in the main (that can both counter and impulse off gearhulk) would make it a more worthwhile choice and drop to a single hulk in the main and one in the board. There couldn't even be something said for having a single Carnage Tyrant in the main as it seems that U/B basically cannot answer it.

Lands (22)

4 Aether Hub
4 Botanical Sanctum
4 Forest
2 Island
1 Mountain
3 Rootbound Crag
1 Sheltered Thicket
3 Spirebluff Canal

Creatures (25)

3 Bristling Hydra
3 Glorybringer
4 Longtusk Cub
1 Rhonas the Indomitable
4 Rogue Refiner
4 Servant of the Conduit
4 Whirler Virtuoso
1 Torrential Gearhulk
1 Carnage Tyrant

Spells (13)

1 Abrade
1 Commit
1 Essence Scatter
4 Harnessed Lightning
4 Attune with Aether
1 Confiscation Coup
1 Supreme Will

Sideboard (15)

2 Abrade
2 Appetite for the Unnatural
1 Confiscation Coup
2 Deathgorge Scavenger
2 Negate
1 River's Rebuke
2 Spell Pierce
1 Torrential Gearhulk

Am I trying to cover too many bases here, am I wide open to being destroyed by ramunap?

Stangg fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 19, 2017

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
This began life as a standard deck, but I never got a chance to play it in the few months where the bulk of it would be legal. So with a dip into the singles bin, it's now this goofy modern thing:

Deck: Crucible of Sand

//Lands
3 Desert of the Fervent
3 Desert of the Indomitable
3 Dunes of the Dead
1 Evolving Wilds
3 Forest
1 Game Trail
1 Hashep Oasis
1 Mirrorpool
1 Mortuary Mire
2 Mountain
2 Ramunap Ruins
1 Sheltered Thicket
3 Sunscorched Desert
1 Swamp

//Spells
2 Fireball
2 Harrow
3 Hour of Promise
3 Lightning Bolt
1 Nissa, Vital Force
1 Retreat to Kazandu
4 Traverse the Ulvenwald

//Creatures
2 Courser of Kruphix
1 Embodiment of Insight
1 Mina and Denn, Wildborn
1 Noose Constrictor
3 Ramunap Excavator
3 Ramunap Hydra
2 Scute Mob
1 Sylvan Advocate
3 The Gitrog Monster
1 Tireless Tracker

//Sideboard
2 Crash Through
3 Devour in Flames
1 Endless Sands
1 Glorybringer
1 Hazoret the Fervent
1 Hostile Desert
3 Jaddi Offshoot
1 Rhonas the Indomitable
2 Unbridled Growth

Display deck statistics

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Here's a deck I've been working on that uses a traverse the ulvenwald engine combined with evolutionary leap to put together the devoted druid/vizier of remedies combo. Evolutionary leap is also a way to spend infinite mana once you have it, by cycling through your deck for walking ballista. The deck has a lot of cute synergies like sacrificing tidehollow sculler with evolutionary leap to exile their card permanently and get another creature, or pumping all of your hangarback walker tokens with gavony township. My main worries G1 are burn, big mana, and chalice of the void, and the sideboard reflects that. I've also considered going straight GW and replacing the scullers with kitchen finks; this would improve the burn matchup and make the evolutionary leap chains close to 100% reliable but hurt the matchup against storm and modern's various weird unfair decks. I've also thought about Nissa, Voice of Zendikar somewhere in the 75; the tokens are good with evolutionary leap and the counters are good with the X creatures, but I think it doesn't do anything the deck isn't already good at and it's kind of a dorky low-power card.

Deck: Devo Leap

//Main
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Devoted Druid
4 Evolutionary Leap
2 Forest
2 Gavony Township
4 Hangarback Walker
1 Horizon Canopy
2 Misty Rainforest
2 Overgrown Tomb
4 Path to Exile
1 Plains
4 Sigil of the Nayan Gods
2 Temple Garden
4 Tidehollow Sculler
4 Traverse the Ulvenwald
4 Vizier of Remedies
4 Walking Ballista
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

//Sideboard
2 Aven Mindcensor
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Burrenton Forge-Tender
2 Collective Brutality
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Orzhov Pontiff
4 Reclamation Sage
2 Scavenging Ooze
1 Sin Collector

Display deck statistics

uninverted fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Hey maybe now that standard has eaten some bans we can revive this dead, gay thread.

Deck Brewing Time!

I'm theorycrafting the ol' u/w favorable winds deck again, Tell me why I'm bad and wrong:

U/W Flyers

Creatures:

2x Skymarcher Aspirant (move to 4???)
4x Siren Stormtamer

4x Skyship Plunderer
4x Warkite marauder

4x Aven Mindcensor
4x Kinjalli's Sunwing
3x Nimble Obstructionist

3x Dreamcaller Siren

Spells:

4x Favorable Winds
2x Unsummon
2x Spell Pierce
3x Curious Obsession (could be chart a course instead)

21 Lands?

2x Irrigated Farmlands
4x Glacial Fortress
2x Ipnu Rivulet
2x Scavenger Grounds
2x Field of Ruin
5x Island
4x Plains

Sideboard:

1x Skysovereign, Consul Flagship (could be cut, probably too mana intensive)
3x Cast Out (good)
2x Settle the Wreckage (good)
2x Unsummon (sometimes a surprising blowout)
2x Spell Pierce (good)
2x Heart of Kiran (maybe?)
2x Lookouts Dispersal (maybe play these in the main instead of spell pierce?)
1x Open into Wonder (I should probably not play this, but I like it)

Maybe Board (and discussion):

- Skymarcher Aspirant (I could probably play this as a four-of to bring me to 8 one drops, it helps me be more aggressive

- Aerial Responder (Vampire Whitehawk is so good)

- Aetherstorm Roc (pro: it's decent. Con: it's a 4 drop)

- Kitesail Corsair (it's a 2/1 flyer for 2)

- Aethersphere Harvester (generic good card)

- Heart of Kiran (generic good card)

- Hope of Ghirapur (lol)

- Radiant Destiny (I'm pretty close to Pirate Tribal so the anthem could be important)

- Resplendant Griffin (it's blue, it's white, and it flies, god I wish spell queller was still standard legal)

- Siren Reaver (a 3 mana 3/2 flyer seems okay)

- Stormfleet Aerialist (pretty close to the bottom of the barrel here)

- Chart a Course (is this better or worse than curious obsession?)

• Locked thread