Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

In this thread, we discuss The President Show and the best Donald Trump impersonator: Anthony Atamanuik. Tertiary discussions involving other political comedy are also cool/good.

Q: But there's already a Trump guy???

Observe failed Trump impersonator, Alec Baldwin (:sad:):

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/805278955150471168 Tormp.......right?

EXCUSE ME. GET EM OUTTA HERE. Trump literally never does this, and yet Alec Baldwin pulls this poo poo ad nauseum on SNL. However...

Anthony Atamanuik is the greatest, the best. His gesticulating is spot on, believe me.

Q: Okay, but what the hell has this guy done?

He went on tour with James Adomian for mock Bernie/Trump debates from 2015-2017. He also did two televised debates with Adomian on Comedy Central and Fusion, along with several sketches. All are worth checking out.

Q: When the hell does this start?

Tonight!!!! Trevor Noah will have Atamanuik on as a guest, and then at 11:30 EDT/10:30 CDT/8:30 PDT/4:20 DMT, The President Show premieres!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

*cough*

http://www.stream2watch.cc/live-television/united-states/comedy-central-us-live-stream

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
:sad:

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

I saw the Bernie/Trump debates irl and the Trump guy was v funny

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

tormp piss

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
this is a very poor idea, most of the people that would tune in are already sick of seeing Trump's stupid cheeto dust face and they're not going to tune in weekly to see someone act a lot like fat cheeto dust face for 30 minutes

I give it a month tops

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
this poo poo is mad tv level bad

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it'll probably outlast the trump administration

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I'm not staying up three more hours to watch this poo poo.

That's My Bush! wasn't total trash so this may be a thing worth watching. Watching Bush give his cat an enema thinking it's an at-home pet euthanasia kit was pretty funny, though I was also a dumbass kid at the time.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief
this is cool, and good, but watch everyone give 0 fucks about yet another trump impersonator, even though he is the very best there is

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

He's the best Tormp impersonator but ya I was kind of let down by everything except the on the street segment and the final bit.

:thinking: well some of the writers are good so I'm gonna hope that the show is still finding its voice

Yossarian-22 has issued a correction as of 10:37 on Apr 28, 2017

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Yossarian-22 posted:

He's the best Tormp impersonator but ya I was kind of let down by everything except the on the street segment and the final bit.

:thinking: well some of the writers are good so I'm gonna hope that the show is still finding its voice

the final bit was best, but i never expect much from the first episode

he has to get to know his specific audience before he can get really good

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

I've only seen glimpses of this dude before the daily show that featured him a few nights ago, but holy poo poo was that whole segment insufferable. the guy does get the body language and gesticulation correct, but everything he says is just too on-the-nose to actually be funny. hearing an impersonator say things even dumber than the already scandalously stupid poo poo that drops out of tangerine pissbaby's mouth is just tiresome.

he might as well have been saying "HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT ME I AM PRETENDING TO BE A BIG DUMB PISSBABY BECAUSE WE ALREADY ELECTED ONE PRESIDENT! I AM SAYING NONSENSE THINGS LIKE HE DOES! PLEASE CLAP!"

it's like that image macro where somebody acts really stupid and then when they get called on it they claim they were just "pretending" the whole time. if you don't have anything funny or interesting to actually say, dressing up like tangerine pissbaby isn't going to magically make the unfunny jokes more funny

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I've only seen glimpses of this dude before the daily show that featured him a few nights ago, but holy poo poo was that whole segment insufferable. the guy does get the body language and gesticulation correct, but everything he says is just too on-the-nose to actually be funny. hearing an impersonator say things even dumber than the already scandalously stupid poo poo that drops out of tangerine pissbaby's mouth is just tiresome.

he might as well have been saying "HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT ME I AM PRETENDING TO BE A BIG DUMB PISSBABY BECAUSE WE ALREADY ELECTED ONE PRESIDENT! I AM SAYING NONSENSE THINGS LIKE HE DOES! PLEASE CLAP!"

it's like that image macro where somebody acts really stupid and then when they get called on it they claim they were just "pretending" the whole time. if you don't have anything funny or interesting to actually say, dressing up like tangerine pissbaby isn't going to magically make the unfunny jokes more funny

yeah this. It's a very poor calculation based around a very good actor by stretching a Saturday night live skit into a weekly show.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

bazomatic posted:

I'm not staying up three more hours to watch this poo poo.

That's My Bush! wasn't total trash so this may be a thing worth watching. Watching Bush give his cat an enema thinking it's an at-home pet euthanasia kit was pretty funny, though I was also a dumbass kid at the time.

Yeah, I think I liked That's My Bush! way back when, is this show like that?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Greg Legg posted:

Yeah, I think I liked That's My Bush! way back when, is this show like that?

It'll be cancelled after 9/11 pt. 2 if that's what you mean

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That's My Bush was a take on the typical network sitcom that just so happened to involve George W Bush in the white house. this is more like that Jiminy Glick show, except not even close to being as good

Comedy Central is taking shows that were done better 15 years ago and updating them to be more "woke" and less funny. see also Problematic vis-a-vis Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn (which also wasn't good, tbf)

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 23:52 on May 1, 2017

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

get that OUT of my face posted:

That's My Bush was a take on the typical network sitcom that just so happened to involve George W Bush in the white house. this is more like that Jiminy Glick show, except not even close to being as good

Comedy Central is taking shows that were done better 15 years ago and updating them to be more "woke" and less funny. see also Problematic vis-a-vis Tough Talk with Colin Quinn (which also wasn't good, tbf)

but comedy central has sucked for a while, it is nothing new

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

but comedy central has sucked for a while, it is nothing new
there have been good shows here and there, and there have been more of them in the past few years. but the only good new show that's debuted this year is Detroiters

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Comedy Central is taking shows that were done better 15 years ago and updating them to be more "woke" and less funny. see also Problematic vis-a-vis Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn (which also wasn't good, tbf)

say what you will about that's my bush, at least it wasn't lil bush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia1Nlq4Wg_4

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

say what you will about that's my bush, at least it wasn't lil bush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia1Nlq4Wg_4
i've never seen that's my bush, but i heard it's a decent show. i've seen lil bush, however, and that was terrible (and also got two seasons)

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that's my bush ruled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1zgX9L2loU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
He did the Trump/Bernie thing on Howard Stern and it was very funny.

Don't know if I'd watch it once a week every week for the next 4 years tho

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
being the best trump impersonator is like being the best andy kaufman impersonator

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

just bring back Jiminy Glick

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

i've never seen that's my bush, but i heard it's a decent show. i've seen lil bush, however, and that was terrible (and also got two seasons)

it got two seasons because it was made in flash so cost very little to make if that makes you feel better.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

it got two seasons because it was made in flash so cost very little to make if that makes you feel better.
it doesn't, because "cheap to make" and "good" are almost always mutually exclusive

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Watched the second episode... show is bad and that bums me out b/c I like Anthony so much :|

I also think maybe his exaggerated Trump has lost its luster with time, as reality itself has reached peak absurdity

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Yossarian-22 posted:

Watched the second episode... show is bad and that bums me out b/c I like Anthony so much :|

I also think maybe his exaggerated Trump has lost its luster with time, as reality itself has reached peak absurdity

i'm going to continue to give it a shot, gotta get my yukks in where i can, and some shows take time to warm up, and get good

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

there have been good shows here and there, and there have been more of them in the past few years. but the only good new show that's debuted this year is Detroiters

I'm super happy that Detroiters got renewed for a second season because my cousin is working on it and he really needed a consistent gig but it's v unfunny.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mormonpartyboat posted:

being the best trump impersonator is like being the best andy kaufman impersonator

I don't think Jim Carey does Trump though

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I'm super happy that Detroiters got renewed for a second season because my cousin is working on it and he really needed a consistent gig but it's v unfunny.
i didn't know it got renewed, that's good. and i like it, at least, though it did get less good by the end of the season (and that finale was ad placement hell)

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
What is this show trying to tell me? Is it trying to imply that Trump is bad? Or even not good?? I just don't understand Comedy Central's feelings towards the president. Do they... dislike him????

?????

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

we're not even at peak Woke Comedy Central Programming because jessica jones's almost-certainly awful show hasn't debuted yet

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Fidel Castronaut posted:

:agreed:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

we're not even at peak Woke Comedy Central Programming because jessica jones's almost-certainly awful show hasn't debuted yet

you may mean the actress for her or even an unrelated person but now I'm imagining Jessica Jones having a Comedy Central show where she drinks whisky and rambles incoherently until someone pisses her off by heckling, at which point she fly/jumps over and throws him through the ceiling

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Anthony Atamanuik is really funny, even when he isn't doing Trump, so good on him for cashing in and I hope it leads to more things for him. But this show sucks.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Man that sucks that the show isn't good because Anthony Atamanuik deserves better.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

you may mean the actress for her or even an unrelated person but now I'm imagining Jessica Jones having a Comedy Central show where she drinks whisky and rambles incoherently until someone pisses her off by heckling, at which point she fly/jumps over and throws him through the ceiling
i meant Jessica Williams, not Jessica Jones. but at least my mistake gave you this funny mental image so it wasn't a total loss

anyway Jessica Williams's show will be terrible, and it might not even represent the zenith of woke programming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Man that sucks that the show isn't good because Anthony Atamanuik deserves better.

• Locked thread