Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Does anyone have Shudder UK? I don't want to sign up to something that has an empty shell of options, but if I can find 13 horrors to watch in May I will do it quite happily! Maybe split my usual October Horrorthon into two parts and do one now as studying and trying to watch a horror a day is a bit of a pain in the arse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Drunkboxer posted:

I've been meaning to watch Targets. Does that count as a horror movie?

If pushed I'd say it's a thriller but I think there's enough of an argument for it being horror for it to qualify, like Silence of the Lambs.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

I've traditionally watched 31 movies every October but struggled really bad last year trying to do that and balance a more responsible life-style so doing 13 films now to lighten the load later seems like a good idea. Going to try and shorten my shortlists on Netflix/Amazon Video via this, hopefully uncovering some gems.

1. Blood Moon - UK Amazon Video
This is a werewolf movie set in the Wild West where all the stereotypes are represented; the stale dialogue, the variety of stock Western/offensive characters, gunslinging and scriptwriting ways to minimise the horsies. I didn't hate it but it's obviously not a labour of love for anyone outside of maybe the prop/wardrobe department, it does just enough to not be entirely boring whilst still contributing very little to the genres it's representing (Dead Birds was able to do this sort of thing much better, at least to my mind, back when I saw it on original release) although this film has semi-decent effects and I jumped at least once from a well staged surprise it is a typical example of film-makers dropping the ball on the Wolfman's nards by depending on the same schtick and tropes of the werewolf film. My "theme" for the Horrorthon this year is supposed to be Werewolves so hopefully there's some better stuff out there which I haven't already seen, not sure how much hope to hold out for films called PROJECT METALBEAST, HOWL and TOTAL ECLIPSE... but we'll see.

Werewolf movies ranked [context]: Ginger Snaps: Unleashed > Blood Moon > An American Werewolf in Paris

2. Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead - UK Amazon Video
Walking in blind I wasn't sure about Wyrmwood, from the gist of it (mostly the poster) I feared it would be a super-Nerd's masturbatory fantasy on what the perfect zombie weapon, armour, cool car. etc they would have in a zombie apocalypse but I was surprised by how much I ended up liking this because of some inventive writing and fun editing/directing. The script lost it's own internal logic a few too many times to make this a high recommendation, the timeline is a bit confused but it's likable enough and adds enough elements that feel original for a viewer to just forget that poo poo and enjoy the action... it's not as funny as I thought it would be, though. For an Aussie movie the dialogue is very dry most of the time; but there are some funny scenes that don't have any speaking in them and that's where the strength of this movie lies. Glad I finally knocked this off my watchlist, it was fun enough.

Zombie movies ranked [context]: Chopper Chicks in Zombie Town > Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead > Juan of the Dead

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

3. Trilogy of Terror - UK Amazon Prime

Karen Black is great, obviously. I love horror anthology films without exception but this is maybe too cheesy in a bad way at times; ultimately Black's star shines enough to make it a worthy watch though. I liked the last story with the little voodoo doll guy from the front cover the best.

Portmanteau Movies Ranked - Tales of Halloween > Trilogy of Terror > Asylum

4. The Hallow - UK Amazon Prime

An Irish horror about faeries and poo poo, it really surprised me with how tightly written it was and how good it looked. A great burn all the way through, it's not as good as The Descent due to the lack of character dynamics but I wouldn't feel too weird recommending it to fans of the last 30 minutes of that movie.

European Folk Horror Ranked - Trollhunter > The Hallow > Leprechaun

5. The House on Sorority Row - UK Amazon Prime

This should be a staple of slasher movies, maybe it is but I'm really surprised at myself for not having seen it before. The roots for revenge slashers like I Know What You Did Last Summer are real strong in this one.

Slasher Horror Ranked - Popcorn > The House on Sorority Row > New Nightmare

• Locked thread