Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
:siren:IT'S THE MAY HORROR MOVIE CHALLENGE:siren:

As of this post, we are half-way to Halloween! :yotj: Usually CineD celebrates horror movies with an October Horror Movie Challenge. During the month of October, we torture ourselves with a personal challenge to see how many horror movies we can watch before the witching hour of All Hallow's Eve (many aim for a goal of 31 Horror movies). We talk about the movies we watch, rate them, recommend new horror movies, and talk about how great horror movies are. It's a hell of a good time.

:ghost:What is this hell?

October's the best, but it's a busy month looking for costumes, going to parties, decorating, trick 'r treating, etc. Horror movies are also a little harder to come by (many streaming services lose their horror licenses because :10bux:, DVDs and Blu-Rays are expensive) but pop back up during Spring & Summer. So why wait for October to dig into that horror backlog?

:devil:Are there Rules?

Set a personal goal for how many horror movies you're going to watch. The idea is to aim for at least 13 movies (but, again, this is a loose rule). They can be favorites or first-time views, it's your call. The challenge officially ends June 1st, 6AM (EST). Also, don't be afraid to discuss movies here or to go off-topic a little bit. This thread is not intended to be half a dozen pages of just movie reviews, it's to watch and enjoy horror movies and talk about them with goons.

:drac:Where can I watch these "horror movies"?

Shudder: The best horror streaming service. They have an excellent catalog of well-known greats to obscure gems. They offer a free trial and can be streamed through the website, apps for tablets, or through Amazon Prime (and Amazon streaming apps)
Netflix/Amazon Prime/Hulu: Check the second post for movies available on streaming

:cthulhu:What should I watch?

Feel free to REQUEST A WILD CARD! Instead of wasting your time trying to pick something for yourself, leave your fate in the hands of goons. The horror regulars know their stuff and will most certainly throw you an interesting movie. (If you have any triggers, I'd mention that too. You wouldn't want to be given Belladonna of Sadness if you can't handle rape, or Cannibal Holocaust if you love animals)

:zombie:Are there buh-buh-buh-bonus points??!

Absolutely! This year, you get bonus points for watching

*Day-time Horror - movies that mainly take place during the day or brightly lit (Shaun of the Dead, Ravenous, etc.)
*Horror Camp - Summer camp horror or camping trip horror (The Edge, )
*Horror Gone Wild! - Horror movies that take place during Spring Break!
*May (2002)
*Possession(1981)
*The Silence of the Lambs(1991)
*Beloved(1998)

When does it begin?

:siren:RIGHT NOW!!:siren:!From the beginning of this posting, any horror movie counts.

Thanks to MacheteZombie for the thread title!

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Multiple Services
An American Werewolf In London !
The Babadook !
Cabin Fever
Cloverfield
From Dusk Till Dawn
Gremlins
Hannibal
The Last Exorcism
Monkey Shines
Tucker & Dale vs Evil !

Netflix
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
A Nightmare On Elm Street !
The Awakening
Baskin
The Blair Witch Project
Dead Silence
Dead Snow
Deathgasm
The Eyes of My Mother !!
Extraordinary Tales
The Fury
Hellraiser !
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2
Housebound
Hush
I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives In the House
The Invitation
It Follows !
Late Phases
The Legend of Hell House !
Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy !
The Omen
Ravenous !
The Shining !
Stage Fright
Tales From The Darkside: The Movie
Trollhunter
Under the Shadow
We Are What We Are
Wes Craven's New Nightmare
VHS

Amazon Prime
Afflicted
Borderland
Bride of Re-Animator
Burn Witch Burn
Chopping Mall
Dead and Buried
The Devil Bat
Green Room !
Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer !
House on Haunted Hill
I Am A Ghost
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
The Mist
The Monster
Neverlake
Nightmare Castle
Night Watch
Nosferatu
Opera !
Season of the Witch
Sleepy Hollow
Street Trash
Texas Chainsaw Massacre !
The Woman In Black
The Witch !

HULU
The Devil's Rejects
Eraserhead
Event Horizon
Friday the 13th
Ginger Snaps
House of the Devil
High Tension
The Innkeepers
Rosemary's Baby
The Silence of the Lambs
Vampire's Kiss

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 28, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

13 will be a breeze. Btw you need to add The Eyes of My Mother to the Netflix list.

drat you right.

Drunkboxer posted:

May 1st isn't until Monday, are you going to cheat?!?

It's not cheating, it's a head start for everybody.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 28, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm amazed you guys haven't seen Fright Night, it's my go-to for Fun Vampire Movie

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They are different enough to stand on their own, in my opinion. Different tone, characterization, plotting, etc. They are the same in premise, character names and basic structure

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

alansmithee posted:

Sign me up. Here's a prelim list of what I'm gonna try to get to this month (assuming all are somewhere streaming, including amazon rental):

The Void
The Asphyx
The Eyes of My Mother
The Lobster
Ghostwatch
Frailty
Black Devil Doll from Hell
I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House
Contamination
The Wailing
Ouija: Origin of Evil
The Visit
From Beyond

All of those would be first time, excepting From Beyond (I was planning on watching that again soon anyways so might as well do it now)

More than half are on Netflix and Amazon

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Of course it does, just alternate between original, sequel and remake.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Wow, we got Stickied. The October challenge doesn't even get stickied.

Last night was my birthday, so no horror movies. Tonight I'm watching Raw and maybe The Void at my local theater.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
1. I watched The Prowler (1981) for the first time, and it was really great. I can safely say it's one of the greatest in the slasher genre for fun, effects, pacing, characters, setting, killer costume, etc. Tom Savini's special effects are much more effective because there are less cuts, so the shots linger. The second big kill is quite grisly and uses white contact lens, several blood pumps and death acting to amazing effect. It's cool that the director went on to direct Friday the 13th Part 4 The Final Chapter, and I'm happy to say that this is even better than that entry. I like that the killer is a human instead of supernatural, and they played the Who-Dunnit angle a little bit. Some good gags, too.

The opening now makes me want to watch a slasher that takes place in the 1950's.

If you haven't seen it yet, give it a go.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky: out of 5

I'm going to see Raw in my theater tonight. Cannibalism grosses me out, so this should be a treat.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
2. Raw

Beautifully shot, loved the ideas in the first act.

After watching The Eyes of My Mother, it was not as bad as I was expecting. In fact, there were quite a few darkly comic moments. That said, I think the two would make a good double feature.

Great acting from the three leads.

A lot of fun ideas. The body paint scene, the crawling, the party scenes, the sisters fight were all excellent

Great sex scenes. I don't mean in an erotic way, or a perverted way, but just kind of...Animalistic? Tense? Suspenseful? A big sell on the movie is how often it could veer into perverted male-gazing, but it's never does. It keeps the nudity and sexuality oddly platonic instead of titillating.

The gore was effective, but the smaller moments stand out better: the Brazilian wax scene before the finger-eating, the rash, biting.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

3. The Howling

Last night some friends came over and they said they have never seen The Howling. They were not impressed. I don't really blame them: it's well-shot for sure, I like the color scheme, I like the idea, but it hasn't aged well. It doesn't come close to my favorite werewolf movies, and I'll admit I have more fun watching the sequel than the original.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
4. Opera (1987) (Prime/Shudder)

Filling in my (large) gaps of Argento knowledge. This is a giallo about a killer stalking the set of a Macbeth opera. Suspiria's the more colorful movie (as well as the creepier movie), but I think Opera is better over-all. The energetic camera frames the movie beautifully and keeps it (literally) moving. Cristina Marsillach is beautiful and one of my new favorite female horror leads. I am a big fan of how they incorporated the opera music as well. Just an overall very fun movie.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5!

5. Tales From The Darkside: The Movie (1990) (Netflix)

This movie wants to be Creepshow so loving bad. This anthology has three stories which get progressively better and more batshit insane. The first story is front-loaded with all of the movie's stars, Christian Slater, Julianne Moore, Steve Buscemi, all easily in their early 30's and playing sophomores in college, the rest are mostly nameless. The stories are all middling in the good-but-not-great gray area and never really top that despite each skit getting their "Oh poo poo" moment (stronger in the second and third story). The gore is silly and fun, there are some good moments of color, but (again) it wants to be Creepshow so bad, but it just doesn't have enough energy to nail it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's definitely with its charm. Your mom is insane, the cat story ending would be traumatic to an 8 year old. How do you feel about cats now?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
"Yet" being the key word.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I need to finish Hellraiser 2, but all the skinless characters got to me and I had to stop (:420: reasons)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think I may watch them both as a double feature for the challenge.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

1. Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth - Anthony Hickox, 1992

Is this the one with the CD cenobite?

I really like that shot you chose.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I still haven't watched Ravenous so it's going to be the next thing I watch.

Will someone please recommend me a wildcard, preferably on Shudder? I'll mention if I've already seen it.

:siren:Feel free to request Wildcards from others. I fall in the habit of perusing lists for half an hour instead of watching things because I can never decide.:siren:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

That's precisely why I constructed my list ahead of time. Paralysis by analysis hits me hard.

My Shudder wild card suggestion: Fender Bender

Thank you!

I've tried making a list ahead of time twice now, but my brain then wants to defy the list because it hates limitations. I manage to watch more movies by getting recommendations or picking them right before I watch them. Making the movie list for the OP gives me an idea of my options, but that's about it.

edit:

Basebf555 posted:

My go-to Shudder wildcard is Dead and Buried. Most people haven't ever heard of it, and neither had I until last year when it came up in the horror thread.

Our movie tastes are pretty similar, and I remember you talking about this in the horror thread, so I'll throw it on my list as well. Thanks!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
VHS Viral is fine, I liked all of the shorts enough, but it's one of the few instances where the wrap-around story actually hurts the movie. The idea is decent, but it's just so drat bad and makes the other shorts more lame.

Everyone seems to like VHS 2 the most, but I honestly can't remember any stories past the eye camera and GoPro zombie and have to look up summaries anytime it's brought up.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
No, seriously. I just looked them up and can't remember them, and I've seen the movie twice now.

I might rewatch VHS2 for the challenge. Anthology films are the best for these things.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
ABC's of Death has one or two great shorts, some good shorts, but most of them are bad and some are outright offensively distasteful. ABCs 2 is even worse, but it had this cool short.

alansmithee posted:

Well fwiw I found the second better, at least some of the segments.

And that's a great choice, but I've seen it already :(. Got another?

Have you seen Blood Diner?

edit: Wow, two recs for Blood Diner for two different people. So I'll also throw out Willow Creek

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 2, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You guys made me thing Q The Winged Serpent was on Shudder. :mad:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Really? I tried looking it up on my Amazon app on my phone and only got Blu-rays. I'll look when I'm back on my computer.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

It probably wasn't searching in Amazon Video somehow, I've had that happen to me before.

I double checked and added it to my Watchlist, thanks for correcting me.

I'm supposed to do game night with friends tonight, but I'm not feeling well and no one's confirmed a time, so I think I'm gonna stay home and watch a movie or two.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

I just looked on my Shudder phone App and Q the Winged Serpent is on there . Are you in Canada or the UK because those countries have different libraries to the US one.

I'm in the US. I was looking in the Amazon app on my phone, since that's how I watch Shudder now (PS4) and I could only find the Blu-Ray and (for some reason) a version with an audio commentary. I looked Q The WInged Serpent up on my computer now that I'm back in my office, and it was my first result and it's now in my Watch List.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

Maybe I should actually participate in this. gently caress it, I will. Put me down for 15 movies.

Hooray!

6. Q The Winged Serpent (1982) is a blast. A creature feature with some kaiju/King Kong moments set in 1980's NYC. A dumb down-on-his-luck wise guy (Michael Moriarty, who really runs with the role) gets into trouble for losing a criminal boss's briefcase while a laid back detective (David Carradine) investigates ritual killings and researches cults. Meanwhile, a giant snake bird is eating people.

Larry Cohen films have a lot of energy and dive right into the story without hesitation. Things get campy and ridiculous, but it's more engaging than most films of its ilk. It's not "so bad it's good", because it isn't bad. It takes your suspension of disbelief and rewards you with unadulterated fun. People flip around like ragdolls and Q (Quetzalcoatl) snaps his turtle jaw around them and swallows them up. Moriarty is really fun to hang out with, David Carradine entertains even though he flubs half of his lines, the effects have aged, but the movie looks great. Everything works and all at a manic pace that never overwhelms. It's not as over-the-top as The Stuff, but it gets close and it deserves to be better known.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm watching the entirety of the Hannibal TV series which is loving horrifying, does that count? I might go seek out the other Hannibal Lecter movies after that; I've seen Manhunter before but Silence of the Lambs, Red Dragon and *gulp* Hannibal Rising would be all new. If I went further in the serial killer direction, what else should I seek out? (please do not recommend Zodiac, it is one of my favorite movies already)

I know he literally won an Oscar for it, but I can't imagine Anthony Hopkins being more terrifying that Mads Mikkelson. he's so loving charming and frightening alternatingly. And the food in that show is more well shot than any movie I've seen aside from maybe Jiro Dreams of Sushi.

Well first off watch Silence of the Lambs, it's very good and earns its reputation, and the director just passed away a week ago.

I think you should watch Nightcrawler with Jake Gyllenhaal and Maniac (2012) with Elijah Wood if you haven't yet, and then Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is a terrifying classic, Michael Rooker is wonderful. It'd be fun if you watched a giallo film, though I'd let someone more knowledgeable in the genre recommend one you'd like. You'd probably like Creep (2014) with Mark Duplass, if you haven't seen that, it's funnier and lighter than the others. If you like Maniac and Henry, you can also watch Man Bites Dog (1992)

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 3, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

1. VHS 2
Are we allowed to do rewatches?

How was that? Did I suck? I feel like I sucked.

Rewatches are totally allowed.

And you did really good! Writing reviews forces you to articulate what you like and don't like about the movie, you aren't being graded. :ssh:

7. Fascination (1979) -Dir. Jean Rollin

Jean Rollin was a French filmmaker known for his dream-like atmospheric horror films about seductive vampires. I've seen a few of his films before, but Fascination is the one he's most known for, and I've been putting it off for a while now. I shouldn't have. The movie manages to look much older than it's release date indicates, but it also feels timeless. This movie creeped out a few times! It's spooky. And the eroticism was more sexy than lecherous, which is rather rare given the genre. While it certainly appears in later Rollin's films, there's no rape or sexual violence, this is all about the power of seduction.

Plot: In 1905, a thief betrays his peers and escapes into the countryside. He finds refuge in a mansion inhabited by two beautiful women who seem incapable of fear. As he is seduced by one of the women, the thieves he escape found him. It's soon revealed that the two beautiful women are not helpers, they are in fact vampires. Then blood begins to flow.

This movie will disappoint those that like plot-heavy fast-paced movies. The plot is thin, but there's enough there to draw ideas on the themes. The main draw is the beautiful imagery, the great atmosphere, the creepy sound design, and of course the promise of eroticism and gratuitous nudity.

I really like this movie! Most erotic vampire movies blur together except for the stand-outs (like Blood-Spattered Bride, The Vampire Lovers), but Jean Rollin is one of the kings of the genre for good reason. It can't be emphasized how great this movies looks and how spooky it feels. My only complaint is that there are some moments where more violence (at least more bright red blood) would have been effective and pretty. Also, it's really hard to find GIFs of this movie without nudity!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

We all make poor choices, especially in college. If it makes you feel better, I still regularly watch the eighth Friday the 13th movie, because I firmly believe I must be missing something.

I've said it before in the horror thread: I think Friday the 13th 8 is a fine entry in the franchise, it's certainly better than 7 and 9, it just suffered from making the ad campaign entirely about NYC (and they did a LOT of marketing) and naming it such, and it will never lose that reputation. If it were Friday the 13th: Blood Cruise and left NYC as a 3rd act surprise, culminating in the shot of Jason in Times Square, it would have won a lot of people over. "Jason on a cruise" is a good idea, but don't tell me my movie is "Jason's in the big apple" and then give me "Jason on a cruise".

It was also supposed to be one of the goriest entries, but MPAA cut most of it, so the editing is jarring.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Daveski posted:

I disagree, the dog in The Thing looks sinister as gently caress.

The dog(s) in Cabin Fever were pretty menacing.

I always get grossed out when dogs taste human blood or eat people meat. RAW did this recently, and even though it was in the background, it made me cringe a little.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Someone should take the plunge and try to figure out if Halloween or Hellraiser has the worse sequels by marathoning both series one after the other. But I feel like anyone willing to actually do that couldn't be trusted to judge quality.

I've watched the Halloween series through two or three times, and they don't really fall apart until 6. Even Water and Resurrection have enough going on in them to be enjoyable. Also, Halloween 3 most definitely counts. And I've only seen the original Hellraiser and the first 15 minutes of Hellbound: Hellraiser 2.

I think I might go ahead and actually watch the entire Halloween series for the October challenge, since it's been a few years. I'd throw in the Hellraiser series, but that's 20 movies altogether, and that doesn't sound very fun. I may watch 1-4 though.

Fun story: When I was 8, I went on a vacation with my family. The cabin we stayed in had VHS tapes and a VCR, with Bowfinger, Hook, Double Jeopardy and this horror movie I had never heard of. The pictures on it alone were terrifying. That movie was Hellbound: Hellraiser 2:

We were there for almost a week and I was terrified that the scary demon with nails in his face was going to get me.

That was also the week Pokemon Silver came out.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Wait why is Henry in only 4:3 ratio am I crazy was it never in widescreen, I am watching it right now as one of my entries.

I...I don't know... I think so? I don't remember ever watching it in widescreen. (I'm honestly new to learning different ratios, but IMDb says it was filmed on 16mm, blown up to 35mm and presented as 1.37:1)

Heavy Metal posted:

I'll throw my Slash top hat into this horror movie challenge!! I'll aim to go to 11, 13 may be ambitious for me. If I can I'll go for a bonus round to get those extra two.

Glad you can join! There's still 28 days left, I'm sure you can manage. Also, it's very strange seeing your avatar underneath Hollismason after the story he just told in the horror thread.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 4, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What do you get when you cross Event Horizon, The Thing, From Beyond, Prince of Darkness and Halloween 2?

8. The Void!

I don't really advocate reading H.P. Lovecraft. He was a weird and lovely person; a racist neurotic filled with fear with interesting story ideas and circumlocutory prose. In my opinion, if you want to know Lovecraft, read his Wikipedia article and then read a story, that's all it takes. Which story is a debateable, as evidences by anytime he is discussed on the forums. Inevitably, everyone can point to at least one story they can admit they enjoy. The ideas have lasted close to a century, and they've been emulated by many other short stories, novels, visual art, theater, film, even music.

The Void is one of the most faithful adaptations of the ideas of H.P. Lovecraft. Unseen cults are summoning otherworldly creatures in a (hospital in a) small town and the people involved are losing their sanity.

The biggest complaint I've heard against the movie is the lighting: it's too dark. I disagree. Each creature is definable enough and dark enough to keep me guessing. It feels like the filmmakers watched The Thing, From Beyond and Re-Animator and said "too bright". It works. Lovecraftian horror is about the unknowable, monsters so terrifying their very look is absurd. To me, it's a stylistic choice, not a fault on the filmmakers. They had a small budget to work with: throw a little more shadow to hide how cheap it looks, and it might actually turn out creepier.

The actual flaws: The first act's pacing is just too fast. Everything would be more effective if the first fifteen minutes after the opening credits had more time to breath. This is when we are shown all of the characters in the story, this is when the stakes are set up, and there is no time to make anything believable (the sheriff gets threatened by a faceless nurse with a pair of scissors, shoots her in the loving head immediately, without question; two minutes later the same sheriff gets threatened by a healthy aggressive man with an axe who keeps making attempts to strike him, so he concedes and listens to everything he says and offers him a shotgun.What the gently caress..

Overall, the movie looks very good. The directors have an eye for visuals, but I'm just bored by green and blue movies:

Thankfully the movie incorporates actual blueish-white/blacks more often than green/blue

The biggest save: I'm not used to horror movies about the existential dread of going through a miscarriage and living with the grief of losing a child. It's unfamiliar territory for me and really scary to think of how far you'd go to bring someone back. That's the idea that kept me watching.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

Is this streaming someplace free now? I didn't hate it but I did think it was too dark to follow a lot of the action on my TV. I'd be interested in watching parts of it on my PC again to see what I missed, but I don't want to pay for it again.

Nope, it's $4 on Amazon Prime.

I forgot to mention in my review, I saw it in theaters, so I'm sure that has to do with how I could see things better than if it were a TV or computer.

Heavy Metal posted:

Sounds intriguing, been meaning to catch that sometime. Have you seen the other stuff those Astron6 guys who made it have done? I love all their comedy horror/sci-fi stuff, Manborg and Father's Day are great fun movies by the guys who did The Void. And their Giallo parody The Editor rocks too, by some of the other Astron6 guys. Lots of great comedy shorts too.

No, but I did look them up and I will keep my eyes posted for future projects, because I had a lot of fun with The Void. They "Get It".

Spatulater bro! posted:

3. Bride of Re-Animator - Brian Yuzna, 1989

I've never watched this because there's no way to top Re-Animator, but you've convinced me to give it a shot.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 (1986) Starz Streaming
This is basically a live action cartoon. The grit and dirty feel of the original is replaced with slapstick and gory goofs. There's also a ton more chainsaws, and a lot more "Texas" in it. Shiner Bock and Big Red soda make cameos and there's a fair amount of cowboy hats around. The earthen walls of the murder compound are literally filled with skeletons, implying that Leatherface and co have killed tens of thousands of people, or dug up as many graves. There's also remains of characters from the first movie, implying that the family moved their corpse collection hundreds of miles to the Dallas area. All of this is good in my opinion.

I don't know why I waited so long to see a mid-80s horror-comedy, since I always enjoy them on some level. Still, it's not the original. 3.5 headcheeses out of 5.

The chainsaw in the ice between Stretch's leg is an insane scene.

I also love Chop Top's habit of burning the skin around the plate and then licking the clothes hanger.

It's the small details, guys.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I had a hell of a slasher double feature last night. I'd been watching a lot of Italian stuff recently and I didn't realize how nice it would be to get back to the more familiar trappings of the American slasher.

7. The Burning

I think I'm going to re-watch this soon. You're right, it's pretty much the best Friday the 13th movie without being a Friday the 13th movie. Friday the 13th Part 6 gets the closest with an up-and-running camp, but even that's for maybe 7 minutes of the run-time and the most for the whole series.

Basebf555 posted:

8. The Prowler

This film was just mean as hell, its down and dirty in a way that The Burning definitely isn't. The kills felt more graphic(although Savini worked on both), and the characters seemed to be made to feel a lot more pain and anguish. So it is a disturbing film on that level, but also a very well made one.

That shower scene!

I understood it as a stylistic choice, given the concept that the killer is a soldier back from a war. Also, Joseph Zito seems to really like painful deaths for the characters. Friday the 13th Part 4 is still probably the most painful deaths for the characters based on their reactions.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I saw Guardians twice this weekend, and I kept falling asleep during my horror movies because I drink too much. I'll probably watch one or two tonight, and then I'll be MIA until next week, unless I somehow manage to sneak in a horror movie while I'm out of town.

Spatulater bro! posted:

6. The Blob - Irvin S. Yeaworth Jr., 1958

I still haven't seen the original, but the remake is one of the grossest films I had ever seen when I first saw it. It was nauseating. I was feverish and trying to eat pizza, and a famous scene involving a sink happened and I couldn't finish the pizza.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Little late to the party but this looks fun, in it for 13 as well.

Hell yeah, glad you could join!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
9. Maniac Cop

Tom Atkins! Bruce Campbell! Robert Z'dar! Sam Raimi (for 5 minutes)!

I remember reading about Maniac Cop in Bruce Campbell's book If Chin Could Kill, and I've somehow never seen it. In fact, I forgot about it until this challenge and the Horror Thread.

I like to throw fun horror movies at my buddy, since he only really watched them with me. He loves The Evil Dead, so seeing Bruce's name got him very excited.

His review, which ran through the movie, is spot-on: "Oh poo poo, this is cool."..."Oh poo poo, this is pretty good"..."drat, this is a Good Movie! This is really good!"

There's some weird pacing, I wish Atkins and Campbell could ham it up a bit more, but their performances were fun.

I like the energy, the mean-spirited killer, and it's fun seeing a slasher with a simple premise that absolutely could not be made in today's poltical climate.

(Phone posting in an airport, hence the barebones review)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I watched Rollin's The Nude Vampire after Maniac Cop, but turned it off near the end. It's certainly interesting, it has a lot of visual flair, the jazz soundtrack was good, but it was just too over-bearing to finish (I had to pack for my trip).

I liked it a lot, but I also didn't like it.

• Locked thread