Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Leavemywife posted:

1. VHS 2
The final story is called Slumber Party Alien Abduction, and you get exactly what you think you will. A group of teenagers and a dog are at their lake house while their parents are away. There are some pranks, some retaliation, someone jacking off in a sleeping bag surrounded by a group of sleeping people--all things that you've been involved in, I'm sure. Until the aliens arrive, the power goes out, and they burst into the house, emitting this deep-pitched roaring noise, dragging kids away. Some of them manage to escape, but before long, they're running out of places to hide.

That's the only part of VHS2 I've seen so far, since I'm a big fan of Jason Eisener. Hobo With A Shotgun is a perfect movie.

Basebf555 posted:

Certainly not top-tier Bava, but if I had to guess I'd say this is more Lamberto's film than Mario's. I decided after finishing it that some iconic, classic Bava was in order.

2. Blood and Black Lace

I like Lamberto a lot, seems more my style than Mario so far, I think he's underrated. But I am a big fan of the 80s (and late 70s) for style in horror movies, stuff like your avatar, so Lamberto is more up my alley. And having heavy metal music on the soundtracks took these movies way way up my alley. It's hard to believe movies as rad as Demons and Phenomena exist, etc. I mention Phenomena since it has Motorhead, by good ol' Dario.

Your post has inspired me to bump up Blood and Black Lace on my to-watch list, by the way.

Also on all the Fright Night love, I'll concur, but must say The Lost Boys is my fav fun 80s vampire movie. It is so drat cool, and it has Alex Winter of Bill & Ted.

I'll throw my Slash top hat into this horror movie challenge!! I'll aim to go to 11, 13 may be ambitious for me. If I can I'll go for a bonus round to get those extra two.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sounds intriguing, been meaning to catch that sometime. Have you seen the other stuff those Astron6 guys who made it have done? I love all their comedy horror/sci-fi stuff, Manborg and Father's Day are great fun movies by the guys who did The Void. And their Giallo parody The Editor rocks too, by some of the other Astron6 guys. Lots of great comedy shorts too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

1. Blood and Black Lace (1964)

The first stop on my May marathon is an influential 60s giallo movie, already covered here in an excellent review. I'll be a bit of an Ebert to the other review's Siskel, this movie was not my cup of tea. Didn't care about the characters, how it all played out, the kills and scenes intended for tension didn't work for me much either.

I love Dario's 70s and 80s movies, so having already seen those, and being so my fav style, maybe this movie that was influential was going to have a tough time connecting for me. But I love Psycho which I found much more striking and grabbed me from a few years before this, and I love Hammer horror movies from the 50s etc. Not really much to say in a negative review of a classic, just not really my thing. I like say Lamberto Bava's Delirium a lot more than this Mario Bava classic, oddly enough, so my taste may just be a bit nutty.

I do know if Jessica Fletcher (Murder She Wrote) showed up, things would've gone down a bit differently.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Agreed on the Scream love, very cool movie. Gotta love Henry Winkler. I finally saw all of Children's Hospital over the last year, Henry Winkler is so drat funny in that show. He's got it all that guy. My fav TV show is Buffy, so that 90s style of fun/horror vibe of Scream goes down smooth. And the violence and tension is genuine, so it's not just clever writing/humor, good mix.

Top Wes Craven movies, that is a tough one, so many to choose from, but I'll go Nightmare On Elm Street. I thought his last few movies were really entertaining and underrated, My Soul To Take was a lot of fun. The Serpent and the Rainbow is rad, People Under The Stairs, The Hills Have Eyes, Wes rocks.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Demons is so drat cool and fun, one of the best. Oddly enough the 80s Cat People is on my list I was considering for this, lot of movie connections in here

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

2. Maniac Cop (1988)

This is a watchable movie with some charm, I've seen it once before, also is covered already earlier in the thread. Watched it to refresh my memory, as I haven't seen part 2 yet. I popped the commentary on sometimes for the first half, especially the first 20 minutes before Bruce is introduced, some funny stuff at times. For me I think something "so bad it's good" like Samurai Cop is more memorable, or something genuinely very good like Friday the 13th IV etc. This right here is the happy middle ground, likable and watchable competent cheese. Which would be a good nickname. Does feel a bit slow at times, but I also may have had too much caffeine past couple days, attention span not 110%. Part 2 sounds fun.

I will totally do some movies that haven't been done yet, throw some curveballs in the mix, yessir.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Agreed on the Phenomena love, Solange sounds like a good one. If I may, what are a few of your fav Giallo movies by the way? Especially non-Dario ones, since I've seen all his. (he rocks)

Your Vice Is a Locked Room is the next giallo movie I have on the ol watch list.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Stage Fright is on my to watch list, that Owl head guy looks cool. I actually wasn't big on Cemetery Man myself though. Any other recommendations? Also, is there any giallo stuff people recommend from the late 70s and 80s, other than the couple Lamberto Bava ones? Other than Mario and Dario. Just wondering if I'm missing any really cool ones I don't know of. I watched Blood and Black Lace earlier in the topic, wasn't my thing.

Most of the ones I'm hearing about, Solange etc, seem just kind of depressing or dreary, seeming not as stylish and entertaining to me as Dario's giallo movies. Just to be honest, but everybody digs different things about these movies. I liked Nightmare Beach for example, fun stuff like that is up my alley more. Not that this is on Dario's level, but it's up my alley.

I can dig grim/dreary horror movies also, just I like that "hell yeah!" vibe from Dario's movies, or other fav horror movies like Hellraiser, Nightmare on Elm Street, etc. Where I say hey, this is rad. Not that it needs to be cheesy or tongue in cheek, just whatever Dario was doing, nobody for me has done it nearly as well. Dario's movies are like a playground of horror ideas, they're just rad. This is my eloquent tribute to Dario, the most excellent one.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 9, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Basebf555 posted:

Have you seen Soavi's The Church? Its not really giallo, but its extremely stylish, and if you like stuff with a supernatural bent like Hellraiser and Nightmare on Elm Street, you'd probably enjoy it.

I'm the one that recommended Blood and Black Lace though so maybe our tastes just don't really match up.

Yep I've seen that one, I thought it was decent, funny that it was called Demons 3 in some places. I think our tastes line up at times, since we both like weird 80s stuff, I just don't like all the same giallo movies. I figure even if we like different ones, you aficionado gents may know of some gems in the kind of fun direction I'm going for at the moment.

Irony.or.Death posted:

I'm coming up short on suggestions beyond that if Blood and Black Lace didn't work for you, though - it's probably the least-depressing and most-stylish one I can think of outside of territory you've already covered.

I didn't say that particular movie was depressing or not stylish in my review of it, that's more referring to some of the other director's giallo movies from the 70s, or the vibe they seem to have. Just trying to articulate the difference between some of these and Dario's, which are my favs. Not liking a 60s movie that feels like Hitchcock meets Hammer is one thing, I'm more looking for post-Dario recommendations of righteous 70s and 80s movies.

I do like Fulci (especially The Beyond, less so Duckling), and it's true Dario is a unique filmmaker, but I figure that I like stuff like Nightmare Beach and Delirium might mean there are a few movies a bit lower on the bar that are up my alley. Some entertaining gems.

Thanks for the recommendations by the way! If there are more fun somewhat Dario-ish maybe 70s and 80s Italian horror movies you know of anybody, let me know!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I somehow haven't seen City of the Living Dead yet, I should get on that, thanks for the recommendations! Luigi Cozzi (the Contamination guy) has other movies I'm meaning to check out too, I have seen his glorious Hercules movies though.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For me it'd be Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, but 2 is a great choice as well. Just for me 4 is the best one with that formula. A Nightmare on Elm Street might also be the definitive slasher movie, but it's doing it's own thing as well.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

3. Maniac (1980)

I'd been sort of putting off seeing this, it didn't look very interesting or entertaining to me. Anyway, it was well made, had some atmosphere and good performances that kept me watching. This Frank Zito guy feels a bit like a lackluster mix of Norman Bates and Travis Bickle, and not really captivating like Henry. I just kind of felt like "welp, there he goes, doing his thing". Ah he's mumbling to himself again. Classic Zito. All in all, didn't really like it, but I can see why people would dig it.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 14, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hatchet 2 is my fun later Hodder-piece of choice! But Jason X is pretty funny. I love Freddy vs Jason also, actually I also love Jason Goes to Hell. Zany stuff.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

4. Shaun of the Dead (2004)

Haven't seen this one since it came out, still a pretty solid horror comedy romp. I appreciate the callbacks to Spaced, like Pegg saying "thanks babe" to his man Nick Frost. Would be even better if Edgar made a full "Don't!" movie, that trailer was hilarious. Astron 6's The Editor is pretty great for that kind of thing too though.

Dennis Hopper's "zombies man... they creep me out" in Land of the Dead is even funnier though, there's another movie I haven't seen again since it came out. I have the blu-ray though, it was kind of charming... why didn't Diamond Dead get made? Sounded amazing.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

5. The Void (2016)

Just watched this tonight, great great stuff! Very tense and well done, and also fun in it's morbid thrills and effects work. I've been a big fan of all the comedy horror stuff these guys have done with Astron 6, and these guys pulled off a serious horror film with quite some success too. What can't they do? Good times, cool flick.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Basebf555 posted:

You probably already know this, but just to be clear, there's two different Bavas, a father and a son. Mario Bava is the godfather of Italian horror, the master. Lamberto Bava, who did the Demons films, is his son and also a solid director in his own right, just not on the same level as the OG Bava.

Dario Argento is the master if we have to pick one, at least for me. Suspiria has got to be the most well known and loved Italian horror movie. And personally speaking, for me nobody comes close.

6. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992)

This is one hell of a scary movie. I think it came up recently whether we'd consider Lynch movies horror, this one is considered to be on imdb, but yeah his movies are often some of the most tense and terrifying around. At least at times. This one in particular is relentless with the tension and horror, I almost have to mentally tune out after a while, or take a break. Lynch is one of my top fav directors, but this one I don't revisit too often. Really really well done, potent stuff, great movie, and a real horror show. Plus setting it in American suburbia with the hints of innocence and hope lulls you in, so you're really into it all when things become nightmarish. And they do quite often here. Quite a movie.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 21, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Franchescanado posted:

I want a zombie movie.

Saw you mention you haven't seen Day of the Dead. There's your zombie movie! I actually also put off seeing that one for some reason, saw it a few years ago. Not to hype it up, but it's one of the best, my favorite of the series.

^agreed, above post!

I'll also throw in Bio-Zombie, that's a fun HK movie.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

7. Warlock (1989)

This is a fun movie, kind of like Terminator or Highlander, you got a couple guys from another time. They end up in present day 80s, one of them is the titular Warlock! Who does entertaining stuff and must be stopped by the good guy, who is also entertaining (Richard E. Grant). Then you've got your Sarah Connor, if Sarah Connor was a funny jokester who also "wasn't even supposed to be here today" as Dante from Clerks says.

It's way better than Critters, that's right, I said it. Well paced, fun script, some cool effects, solid stuff. I don't know how it took me so long to see Warlock, was a video store staple when I was a kid, this movie is fun times. Also pretty metal.

• Locked thread