Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I will watch 13 films this coming month without breaking my X-files marathon, because I am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb8nP0pNrEY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yep! And if you fall short of 13, we drop you in a greased pit and film you starving to death.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

1. Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) - (Shudder)
I've been meaning to watch this forever. I liked all the remade shots from the original silent movie, the twist ending, and Kinski's surprisingly sympathetic portrayal of Dracula, but I may have psyched myself up too much for it. I found myself thinking more about how strange and nightmarish the original was rather than focusing on Herzog's version. I still enjoyed it though. I give it 3.5 pointlessly dead actor-rats out of 5.

As always when someone watches this, I have to recommend watching/rewatching Shadow of the Vampire, which is a great film and has several touches that are influenced by or pay homage to the Werner Herzog remake. These movies are the best of companions.

Wilhelm Scream posted:

4. The Disappoints Room (Netflix) Dull Haunted House/Psychological trauma movie that has Kate Beckinsale who looks eerily like Dee from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and a thankfully short run time that even then stretches your patience because we've seen all of this poo poo before. 3/10 (First time)

Sounds like truth in advertising.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

:siren::siren: My official start :siren::siren:

1. Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth - Anthony Hickox, 1992

Knowing its reputation, I went into this with rock bottom expectations. And it met them. There isn't much here that appealed to me. Everything I like about the first two films - the interesting characters, the good directing, and most importantly the imaginative ideas - are gone here. What we get instead is an ugly looking, dumb movie with a lousy script and acting that ranges from below average to atrocious.

But above all that, the worst thing about this is how it does away with the core ideas of the first two films. The entire concept of the cenobites being summoned from a metaphysical realm to take a person to their personal hell, is gone. Here the cenobites are reduced to Terminator-like monsters walking around the city blowing stuff up. They've lost all of their mystique.

By dumb horror standards it's not a terrible movie. It's got some decent gore and effects, and the Pinhead character is undeniably cool looking. But for the standard set by its two predecessors, it's a total failure.

/ 5

Don't watch the other Hellraiser sequels, because they make this one look like "the good one".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Someone should take the plunge and try to figure out if Halloween or Hellraiser has the worse sequels by marathoning both series one after the other. But I feel like anyone willing to actually do that couldn't be trusted to judge quality.

Drunkboxer posted:

The dog (like all dogs in horror movies) didn't work for me because dog actors always just look like they're having a good time.

There was a great moment in Law and Order where they had a supposedly dangerous dog brought into the courtroom to prove the defendant was endangering children or something, and it was just a really happy dog jumping around excitedly and wagging its tail but with angry growling dubbed in.

Having said that, a dog could totally have a good time horrifically murdering someone, so they can be scary to me. And there is a great terrifying dog scene in Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm behind because I'm game jammin'

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I'll fight someone over whether Jason X isn't one of the best slashers ever made.

You're going down, you wrong-rear end philistine.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

A pathetic less interesting remix of a scene from a better film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyzJStkVC0U

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ok, so the reason I haven't been posting my movies is because I spent all month player Witcher 3 instead of watching movies. But I'm finally done with that 700 hour game so here I go:

1 - Psycho II

Man, this is a weird movie. A sequel to one of the most famous thrillers of all time released 25 years later? The hook is pretty strong, as it follows Norman Bates as he's released from the mental institution, apparently cured. Pretty soon weird poo poo starts happening and he worries if he's losing his mind. But is he, or is someone messing with him?

This movie's almost 2 hours long and not nearly enough happens in it to justify that running time. And I don't know if it was a deliberate choice by the director or just him being behind the times (he hasn't exactly got a stellar resume) but everyone's performance in the film feels very 1950s, which, combined with the film using a score similar to the original, gets a bit surreal when typical 80s sleaze like gratuitous boobs, doobies and comical cheap gore pops up every now and then. Anthony Perkins is great as the lead, obviously, and you really root for him to not go nuts again, especially when it becomes obvious someone is indeed messing with him.

Ultimately, despite a mostly solid script, the movie's more interesting than good, mostly due to slow and boring editing and a really dull cinematography, the latter problem being especially glaring in a direct sequel to loving Psycho. Still, I'm glad I watched it, and am interested to see part 3.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Irony.or.Death posted:

Thread reminder: Ken Russel directed a movie about Byron and the Shelleys doing drugs, loving, and trying to out-spook each other. It's even called Gothic.

I'm not gonna tell you it totally lives up to that premise, but you owe it to yourselves to watch it anyway.

That entire movie exists only for the closing shot and I'm kind of ok with that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

:siren: :toxx: averted :siren:

13. Alien: Covenant - Ridley Scott, 2017

The film looks and feels like every other big Hollywood action spectacle of late.

Can't wait for the "5 more stories" Ridley Scott says he has about this universe.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm more concerned about the universe even having one more story in it. We know every loving thing there is to know about the aliens and even the stupid space jockey. What's there left to tell?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

2 - Tremors II: Aftershocks

A Mexican oil company is having trouble with Graboids on the planned site of their new refinery. They recruit Earl Bassett, the washed-up hero of the initial outbreak, as an expert monster hunter, giving him a new chance at fame and fortune. Things go smoothly for Earl and his new sidekick Grady Hoover at first, but once the Graboids mutate, all of their expertise goes out the window. Can they survive this new breed of monster?

I guess the theme for me this month is "completely unnecessary sequels". Giving the Graboids a Xenomorph-like life cycle is the definition of unnecessary, but I suppose if you're going to make a sequel to Tremors, you have to up the stakes somehow. The script is significantly weaker than the first film, with some plain baffling character beats (a grown man who's never heard of rock/scissors/paper among them) and a premise that's a very contrived way of bringing some characters from the first film into a similar situation. There's really no reason a corporation would hire some washed up redneck to deal with weirdo monsters that are of scientific and paleontological significance to pretty much everyone in the world instead of like, the government. It lacks the organic feeling of the first one, where the lonely backwards town of Perfection felt like a completely plausible isolated locale for a handful of misfits to deal with these terrifying monsters. This movie tries to recreate the sense of discovery of the first film by giving the Graboids a new form, and even goes out of its way to show that if you're well-equipped and know their habits, the classic Graboids would be far too easy to deal with, but it just sort of feels absurd. I was especially annoyed by the third act reveal that the bipedal mini-graboids can reproduce asexually Gremlins-style if they get access to any kind of food. That just felt like an unnecessary "monstery" trait to pile onto what used to be just a weird prehistoric creature man doesn't know how to deal with. The movie is also seriously lacking in body count, with only 3 on-screen deaths, none of them central characters.

Still, this movie has likeable enough characters(despite an intensely felt lack of Kevin Bacon), a persistent sense of fun and adventure, and some really fun creature effects. Aside from a couple of shots of some really terrible 90s CG, the monsters are a joy to see on screen, with all their weird moving parts and icky slimy tongues. And the movie's endless monster gore-splosions are satisfying in a visceral way that only real, physical goo can ever be. And it's fun to see a few returning faces and see what those characters are up to after all these years.

One last thing, this prop really pisses me off:

The idea of an arcade cabinet based on the events of the first film that Earl got no royalties from is a perfect character beat to emphasize the "had 15 minutes of fame and is now washed up" thing, and a hilarious worldbuilding detail, but that thing is painted like a lovely carnival stand. The production couldn't spring for a poster painter or a video game magazine cover artist? A properly done up fake Graboid cabinet would be an all-time classic prop if it didn't look so lovely. PS, we never see the actual game, but I choose to believe it's this.

Final verdict:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

3 - Army of Darkness

Do I really need to put a summary here? You know what this movie is, it was on tv all the time for 12 years.

I was going to continue my streak of unnecessary sequels by watching a Jaws sequel, but the only one Netflix has is Jaws: The Revenge, so gently caress that. I decided instead to watch a good sequel, and it'd been a while since I watched this anyway. This film is always a joy. Raimi does a lot with a limited number of sets, props and extras, and Bruce Campbell chews scenery like he's starving to death. It really hit me how much this movie is structured like a Mad Max movie this go-round. A badass stranger with a shotgun comes to a place beset by troubles he doesn't care about and gets roped into their struggle, and despite being a selfish a-hole he ends up learning to care and becomes a hero. There's even an awesome souped-up car!

The skeleton shenanigans are the highlight of this film, obviously, but I love all the other effects all over the film. The blasts of gore, the fun sets, the neat look of Ash's mecha-gauntlet, the makeup on the few non-skeletal deadites... the only thing in this movie that isn't timeless are the rear screen projection effects, which are pretty obvious in HD. If only it'd been made like 4 years later... Still, you have to admire how much magic and adventure is crammed in a movie that mostly uses special effect techniques from the 60s.

A lot of people consider this movie a step down from Evil Dead 2, and some would even go as far to call it a big step down, but I loving love this film, and it's my favorite of the Evil Dead trilogy. It's got a sense of adventure, a strong character arc, some amazing gags, Errol Flynn style swashbuckling, 3 stooges routines performed by skeletons, a blood geyser... what more could you possibly ask for? Well, maybe you could wish they'd actually made that post-apocalyptic 4th film teased in the alternate ending...

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 25, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

? - Weird Frankenstein Movie I Dreamed About (1993)

A hundred years after his creation, Frankenstein's creature has become a suave pipe-smoking gentleman who entertains guests on occasion and is comfortable with his status as a medical curiosity. But when he invites several prominent intellectuals to his manor to discuss his latest book, people start dropping dead. Is he truly a monster after all, or does his gorgeous maid have something to do with it?

This movie loving sucked. The tone is all over the place, as it can't decide if it's a straight farce or a racy whodunnit. It's obvious it wants to be Clue, but that movie knew it was a comedy first, second and third. The makeup and acting on Frankenstein(as he calls himself) are pretty solid, but it's in service of the laziest kind of visual gags you can imagine. Oh, he's acting suave and reading the newspaper despite being a monster, how crazy! The killer also becomes apparent after the second death, which kind of deflates the tension of the rest of the running time. There's also a bizarre after-credits meta gag involving a more grotesque and "realistic" Frankenstein's monster watching the film and declaring it to be stupid. I agree, dude.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

4 - The Fly II (1989)

Before Seth Brundle died tragically as a result of his experiments, he impregnated his girlfriend. But his son, now the property of a shady scientific corporation, carries his mutant fly DNA. Can the unnaturally rapidly-aging Martin continue his father's work and find a cure, or will history repeat itself?

Jesus, what a stupid loving movie. Everything about it screams DTV, but it was actually released in theaters. I know this because I have a very distinct memory of seeing it at the drive-in with my parents when I was 6. This movie is directed by Chris Walas, the effects guy from the original, and well, he's pretty good at special effects, not so much at directing. Everyone in this film acts and looks like a daytime TV actor. The Cronenberg Fly had a very naturalistic feel to both the performances, story and the sets. Seth Brundle and his tragedy felt very human and very personal. Here, everyone is a stock B-movie character, stiltedly overacting the hell out of their obvious dialogue while completely evenly lit and caked in obvious makeup. The scientists who supervise Martin's childhood are comically evil and seem to actively hate him. Eric Stoltz is a complete flatline as the lead. Every location feels like a cheap set, except when it's obviously just an empty factory during the final sequence. The music is bad and obvious, and the script is super weak. For some reason the evil corporation thinks creating hosed up animal-human hybrids is way more valuable and scientifically interesting than actually mastering workable teleportation.

There's definitely some good special effects in this film, even if they're not filmed or lit appropriately all the time. Lots of genuinely disgusting goo all over the place, shockingly graphic gore, and disturbing creature designs. Although the worst creature in the film is the fly itself, which looks less like the pathetic disturbing freak it was in the last film and more like some kind of knockoff Aliens action figure design. I mean it's well executed, and even though they show way too much of it and let you realize how poorly articulated it is, it's a pretty impressive beastie, but it's such a goofy "cool" monster design.

Anyway, this movie is just tons of buildup to the fly monster running around and killing tons and tons of people who you have zero sympathy for in graphic detail. And it works fine as that, I suppose, but it's a pretty awful sequel to a genuinely timeless remake. The ending is totally stupid, but at least that one creature design is genuinely horrifying and a great note to end on. Too bad it and those gore effects couldn't be in a real movie.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 30, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

5 - Scream 4 (2011)

Sydney Prescott returns to Woodsboro during her book tour, only for teens to start getting stabbed again. Who's the sicko going around as Ghostface this time? And who cares?

This movie was stupid. Everyone knows I'm not the biggest fan of meta-horror, and this is meta-horror about something that was already meta. The theme this time is making fun of modern remakes that ride the line between pointless escalation and staying true to the original, I guess. A good half of the characters feel like a parody of other characters in previous Scream films, including the killers. Which might be the point, but it just makes it harder to care about them. I dunno. There's some ok kills I guess, and it's fun to see Neve Campbell continue to be about 30 times more competent at fighting masked killers than everyone else in this series due to sheer experience. I always find myself thinking "Just kick him!" about Ghostface, since he's got such a short range weapon and is rarely physically imposing, and everyone just tries to fight him hand to hand like an idiot. So it was satisfying when Sydney kicked him over and over and over in one sequence.

I don't know who this movie was for, in the end. Maybe it was just Wes Craven having some fun with the cast one last time. I just wish he hadn't tried to be hip to what the kids are into while he was doing so, because everything in this movie having to do with the internet and teens felt horribly out of touch. As slick as the production was, I wasn't very engaged at all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well I didn't even come close to 13 because I spent this month playing video games and watching X-Files and The Real Ghostbusters (and being incredibly sick). I regret nothing, except choosing to watch a bunch of stupid sequels on netflix.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I could do a stream where we all watch it together.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm gonna do the Night Train stream saturday at 8 EST. Is that cool with all you other shameful not-enough-horror watchers?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I mean with the selection I had it's not really fair, obviously it was Army of Darkness.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I find it interesting that limiting the number of films from 31 to 13 caused a consistently good to great line-up for me, and it seems that way for most of the participants (sorry Lurdiak).

Hey, blame Netflix's largely terrible selection, or god.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Just a reminder that my Night Train to Terror stream is at 8 EST tonight. Everyone who failed the challenge is welcome to tune in for redemption.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The pre-stream is starting. Live in 25!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Where the heck is everyone. I made a medley and everything.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

a foolish pianist posted:

I didn't get home until 10:30, but I showed up for the Ghostbusters episode. :(

I highly recommend seeking out the film on your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I don't think gremlins should be sexualized but ......

I have the perfect picture to reply to this but I don't want to get perma'd.

• Locked thread