Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mundane haircut
May 3, 2007

"I am a couch. I am a couch. I am a couch."
Ultra Carp

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Margaret Atwood is not a political scientist. An explanation for how the Sons of Jacob pulled off their coup d'etat is also missing from the book. But then politics beyond gender politics isn't the focus, so it's not a big deal.

It's super annoying that "Sons of Jacob" is both the name of the fundamentalist group who established Gilead AND the name they give to Jewish people, at least from what I could see on the internet (my copy of the book is in storage). I keep getting caught by it :saddowns:

Ballz posted:

I actually liked it. He sounded uncomfortable and awkward, because the subject matter made him feel that way, especially addressing it to a room with nothing but women.

Yeah, he sounded like every smarmy and insecure guy I've ever met. That fake masculine voice and condescension was just right to me.

Anyway, I am absolutely loving this adaptation. It was way too easy when reading it, and knowing that it was published in '85, to distance myself from the horror of it. It's much harder to constantly remind the audience that this is happening in a near-contemporary time period when it's the written word, but it's unavoidable when you're watching it. The musical cues and visuals - particularly in scenes like the Handmaids in the supermarket, or the tower of trendy macarons - have made it really compelling and in a different way to the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread