Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

If everyone in this thread was Canadian it would be believable that most read the book because it was part of the school curriculum up here, at least in some school boards. In the American system they read... Coloring books? Religious tracts? Help me out here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Any Toronto/Ontario goons know where the stoning scene was shot? It looks familiar but I can't put my finger on it.

I loved every episode of this season and I think Atwood's input all but guarantees the second season will be great as well.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I just hope the whole second season isn't about getting June out, and they expand the scope of the show a little to depict what's going on outside of North America (or at least the US/Canada), even if it's only for an episode or two. I think it'd better drive home the desperation that leads to a Gilead rather than being told about it secondhand from the Mexican ambassador.

I don't remember if it was discussed in the book but does Canada have the same issues with the plummeting birth rate?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Nice, thanks! I may be headed that way this weekend and might take a side trip, chuck a rock or two.

Pocket Billiards posted:

Same as all the people aspergering over tactical realism of the coup or the economics of republic, it's not something June is really privy to and doesn't feature much in her tale.

While I tend to agree with this more often than not, all the Canada stuff, including Luke, is also not part of her tale at this point and certainly nothing she's privy to either. If they went out of their way to depict Canada's refugee/immigration policy (which I found too trite and rosy by half - "here's a health card and free money") they could depict more of the coup and the reactions to the plummeting birth rate in other countries.

• Locked thread