Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Loomer posted:

I don't think the increase in the brutality here is to do with 'gotta ramp it up! Gotta get viewers!', so much as a changing awareness of 'huh, sometimes poo poo is awful'. The original was written with the Iranian Revolution hot in the news. This series comes with daesh having dominated the news for the last few years and an increasing upswell in critical opinion (against and for) and awareness of female genital mutilation. The kind of horror show in the news has already prepared an audience to engage in things like religiously motivated maimings and brought it into awareness in a way it simply wasn't at the time of the book's publication.

That sounds about right actually. I'm willing to give this show the benefit of the doubt on that front.

:shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

BJPaskoff posted:

It was reasoned in the interview by "fertility trumps all".

That checks out, actually. Have we seen any non-white characters that weren't handmaidens in the show? It makes sense for Gilead to make the exception only for fertility, but because of the weird ritual of the handmaidens having her not really "be there" while being a proxy for good old married couples having sex for procreation it still completely diminishes any minority voice because the children made are those of the two white powerful people in their eyes: minorities are necessary for the society to function but only the strictly necessary ones are allowed any kind of role and it's one where they're completely silenced and utterly exploited. Turning a blind eye to only the basest levels of human worth to them also undermines the hell out of Gilead as a society too: a white supremacist society is going to foster some really nasty racial castes for any children born to a handmaiden who doesn't look completely white.

Huh, I was kind of worried that the series might have swept the racist parts of Gilead under the rug but it's a pretty elegant way of exploring it, well done show!

:smithicide:

e: \/\/\/ :doh: Okay so a bit less extreme than I had thought

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 28, 2017

• Locked thread