Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I am curious over the religious nature of this regime. I don't recall seeing any traditional Christian imagery such as crucifixes, but they've cited scripture, both from the sermon on the mount but also Romans (during the court scene).

This can only lead me to assume that it is, at the core, a Christian theocracy, but the complete anonymity of it is fascinating to me. I guess it's a very concervative, orthodox reading of some passages from Old Testament that shaped it all. The golden bull in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Collateral posted:

They pick and choose those passages that confirm their worldview.

I can believe that. Makes sense. But what place has Jesus in all this? Has he been demoted to a false prophet? Seems unlikely, since they've quoted him. But I can't recall him being mentioned by name once, and somehow I feel these lunatics wouldn't be comfortable to be in the same theological camp as them Jews, thus ensuring a need for more theological works than the Old Teatament.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

precision posted:

The novel ends on a hopeful, but ambiguous, note. Then there's an epilogue that is unambiguously "good" (the regime we see in the show only lasts like 10 years)

e: oh, but to answer your actual question, yeah there are a lot of things coming up that aren't just "pure misery"

That's great. I couldn't bring myself to finish 1984 after I happened to find out the ending. I normally don't mind knowing how a movie/book ends, but 1984 was just too goddamn horrible. I know that's the point of it all, but it was too much for me.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I loving love the Mexican woman tearing down the bullshit of Gilead. "Oh you lowered the release of toxic emissions? The fact women aren't allowed to read are absolutely pivotal I'm sure".

Also love the glimpses into the world, the fact that the USD is in a free-fall.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

The ending really got me thinking: what other solutions do states around the world make up to fix the birth rates?

While trading fertile women as resources was illustrated as immoral (which it is because holy poo poo) I would almost have to assume that the rest of the world wouldn't have to treat them just as horribly as Gilead does. Artifical insemination is a thing, for instance (probably decreed as going against the nature of God or something), meaning that a monthly rape (in the more common meaning of the term) wouldn't be required.

It would almost certainly be a horrible living (any situation in which non-criminals are held against their will are pretty much that) but I can hardly see a living in Mexico be worse than the current situation for June.

• Locked thread