Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Jesus. This is good but it's so hard to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Show continues to be fantastic and terrifying. I may have to reread the book, it's been years. 2000 or 2001, I think.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

That was the most tense sex scene I have ever seen and not in a sexy way. It was just really intense. I think it was because of the music because I kept expecting someone to burst in with guns.
At least it wasn't Massive Attack's "Angel." She's so petrified she doesn't even notice the bodies of two Aunts lying on the ground with bullet holes in their heads. Then she's whisked away in a car. It's a big party with lots of noise, lots of people coming and going, and it's a half hour before someone says, "Hey, where's Offred?" Another fifteen minutes before the first phone call. It's another hour and a half before anyone even thinks to shut down the airports! And now we're off to the races!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

How does a show on a limited budget look so loving great. It's really something...

I had no idea the budget was only $13M. It looks great, period, and knowing how inexpensively it was produced makes it even more amazing.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
It certainly doesn't rip forward at a neck-breaking pace, but I do appreciate that they didn't rush to dismantle Gilead in a season.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I agree with all of the above. The slow pacing really works to the show's benefit in many different ways, but I'm itching to see Gilead burned to the loving ground and the ruling elite executed. It's good that they don't cater to that part of me, because they're really painting a magnificent picture the way they're going about it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Sitcoms have spent a dozen seasons in the same house and people ITT want this society destroyed by the ninth episode. :psyduck: Your lovely attention span is making me feel old.
... ummm, maybe it's something about the society that makes us want to see it destroyed, not the way the show is set up ...? I mean, if Archie Bunker was raping his neighbor repeatedly per government order I'd probably want their suburb to be bombed.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Die Sexmonster! posted:

You're not who I'm referring to, as you've already admitted they're taking the time to paint a picture to great effect. Still, fair point, but c'mon people, have a little patience! And faith :v:
HOW DARE YOU, EVERYTHING IS ABOUT ME

veni veni veni posted:

I said that too. I'm not criticizing the show for it. I mean, I've watched every episode it's not like it stopped me.

For me, it's more an issue that they frequently toy with the idea of the rebellion but so far it never really goes anywhere. It's by design and it's fine.

I think it's hard to deny that it's an incredibly slow paced show. For me at least I still want to watch it,but I guess I'm not exactly failing all over myself on Wednesday to find out what happens next. I personally wouldn't mind a little more momentum.
I think that they're going to get through the plot of the book in this season, so in ten episodes we'll have gone from "unstoppable regime" to "ready for some real pushback from the resistance." If anything it's a bit of a fast timeline for Gilead's downfall -- we've covered maybe eighteen months tops from when June was placed with her family, given time for Janine to get pregnant, have a child, and have it be the six to nine months it was at the time of the bridge scene? -- but I guess I also can't quite place how much time passed from "happy moments flashbacks" to "June finds herself in nightmarish Hell." I can't be sure, obviously, but I suspect that lack of momentum is intended to make us feel June's desperation. Right now she's being swept along, but I think soon we'll reach a point where she is a driving force, and then things will feel faster.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

business hammocks posted:

I hope there's at least one season spent with assholish sexist college professors in the far future working on their book.
Jesus, while that would be funny the last thing I need is for this to end with the pendulum swinging back again.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Lum_ posted:

This was the epilogue to the book, which is what was being referred to (a scholarly conference in Nunavut, it's heavily implied that global warming and the infertility plague led to a distinct lack of white people.)

I don't recall the sexist part of the epilogue, but it's been fifteen years and I don't even recall the epilogue in detail.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Pleasing Shape posted:

"if thy hand offends thee"

if you're squeamish AT ALL don't go back and watch it, it looked like an instructional film

That sequence was great -- it was just as clean and sterile as the OR. Just a cold, dispassionate procedure.

All in all, a great first season. As much as I'm looking forward to more, I hope they have a clear plan. Three or four seasons is more than enough to work through the fates of Gilead and all the key players, and I don't want them to invent unnecessary drama just to drag it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Margaret Atwood is helping them write it.

yessssssss

• Locked thread