Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
This series is great but whoever's picking out the 80's songs for it sucks. The editing and use of Simple Minds was brilliant but it would've been better with a different song.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm sure people have written this about the book already, but since I'm being exposed to it for the first time, I have to say I appreciate that we're seeing a story about slavery featuring white people as slaves.

Most of our films about slavery feature blacks as slaves, which presents a hurdle for white audiences to identify with black slave protagonists. Not that it can't be overcome but there's some hurdle you have to get over first and maybe some audiences struggle with successfully navigating that. Maybe that's why traditionally we often had movies featuring a Good White Guy saving the black slaves. Maybe that's why recent films like Get Out have struck a chord by challenging that need to see at least One Good White Person in a movie about Lots of Bad White People.

So what The Handmaid's Tale offers is a stepping stool to get over that hurdle, a Slavery Simulator for White People. You get to experience the same visceral fear and gut-wrenching feelings a black person would normally feel watching a film about historical American slavery. You feel these feelings more directly than you have before because the torture, mutilation and abuse is happening to people you identify with more strongly. Now when you think about films about black slavery you can draw on the stomach-turning feelings you had watching The Handmaid's Tale. Maybe get you to expand your ability to empathize. Or not, I dunno. What do you guys think?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Groovelord Neato posted:

i dunno man i almost cried during the strange fruit sequence in birth of a nation, and i'm a white dude. i'm also not a woman and could empathize fully with offred when reading the book.

Sure sure, but there are a lot of different people out there who might not empathize with the struggles of different-looking people as well as you

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Jack Gladney posted:

I bet that the kind of white man who can't sympathize with black characters also has a hard time identifying with white women.

Which is why we need Margaret Atwood to pull a Twilight and publish a genderswapped book called The Handyman's Tale

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If you want a gut-wrenching account of Iran turning from a cosmopolitan nation into a totalitarian religious regime overnight, watch Persepolis or read the graphic novel. It's pretty brutal.

Whipping with electrical cables features a lot in it.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 4, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Groovelord Neato posted:

nah it's an important book and i would assume anyone interested in the show would have read it.

That's a very inaccurate assumption to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Lampsacus posted:

(INDISTINCT RADIO CHATTER)

• Locked thread