Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Children of Men angle really solves all of the plausibility problems for me with regards to how quickly things changed and the like. The amplified pressure on reproduction amplifies the extreme measures this society goes to in controlling it. Which is in no way a justification of them, but a pretty good justification of their dramatic rate of change in such a short time frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kanine posted:

its cool how mike pence and most mras would be totally cool with the society in this show

It's really just a matter of time before there's an amazing "Why Everyone Is Wrong About Handmaid's Tale" thinkpiece.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yes, the most glaring example being the complete lack of assisted reproductive medicine in the midst of an infertility pandemic. Because that conflicts with "traditional values".

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

I'm a little disappointed that Serena Joy didn't really get an update to being a more modern conservative in the vein of Coulter, et al., but I guess that was just me trying to project my own desires into the show.

Her type absolutely still exists, they just don't have the 80s-level multimedia zeitgeist anymore. Flip through some local TV on late Saturday night through Sunday morning, or go to one of those Joel Osteen interfaith megachurches for the youth variety.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I think general denial and the likelihood that gradually dropping infertility would be a sort of snowballing existential crisis, as opposed to an immediate threat to extant human life a plague or impending meteor, would cause a delayed response like what we've seen. It would take time for people to really come to grips with the full impact of the situation, and then when they finally did things would rapidly and dramatically break, which they have.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

tweet my meat posted:

I liked the Aunt's scene in this episode. As cruel and terrible as she is, she really does believe in and take pride in the system and is pretty upset that the disfigured handmaids are forced to sit out and not be honored at the dinner (an entire tray of dessert!) None of the characters are just cartoonishly evil for the sake of evil and it makes the story a lot more terrifying as a result.

Absolutely, a clear-eyed true believer who has your best intentions at heart while maiming/raping/killing you is way loving scarier than a stock cackling madman.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

It's more the way it's presented than the content of it. It's got a real skinemax vibe and feels weird tonally compared to the rest of the show.

The show is communicating their kind of sex as a primal, healthy, innately good thing in contrast with the soulless mechanical implantation process sanctioned by the state. I think it's supposed to feel that way, it's the only time these people can act like themselves instead of cogs in the rape factory.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

Every shot in this show is like a painting. The symmetry, the placement of the characters, the lighting... I don't understand how someone could watch this on 2x speed instead of taking all that in. It's part of the experience.

It is delivering plot units at the inefficient ratio of 1.2 HOLKYFUCKS/act so I had to fastforward it to keep myself sustained on plot, the only reason to consume televisual entertainment product. plotty plot-plot :buddy:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WeAreTheRomans posted:

That post depressed me more than this show

I'm beginning to think psychopathy extends to the realm of hobbies and pastimes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

I got the exact same vibes.

E: Only Zoe got shot in the boat escape.

Correct, but there were some others with her that got suppressed by the gunfire and couldn't make it to the boat, right? Or were those Gilead people coming up on them from behind, it's hard to tell when everyone wears dark clothes at night.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It seemed more to me that whatever is going on just happens to have left temperate North America with a relative bounty of fertile women, enough that they can afford to leverage some of them (ugh) to stave off immediate economic collapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's not difficult to believe that between the general chaos of a civil war and Gilead's regressive theocratic policies there really are a bunch of wrecked fossil fuel storage/manufacturing waste/spent nuclear fuel/etc. facilities that need taking care of, and they're being used as American gulags.

• Locked thread