Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, that just seemed incredibly dumb. As long as Mexico hasn't also outlawed science and medicine as Gilead seems to have, thetre's no way they could be worse off.

The vibe I got from that whole sequence was that free societies weren't as efficient at leveraging what few fertile women exist as Gilead's raping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

DasNeonLicht posted:

Man, actually seeing the U.S. flag with 48 hollow stars was a real heartbreaker.

Kinda wonder why they would actually do that. I mean, stars weren't removed during the Civil War.

(I get it, poetic license, etc. Still, Little America was the most :unsmith: moment of the series to date.)

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

Wrong thread, whoops

Anyway, vaguely on topic, Ross Douthat just put out a column about The Handmaid's Tale and boy I can't wait to read that poo poo hah

it's awful. #notallchristians!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

precision posted:

I would be totally okay with it if season 2 has this show become a spy thriller about June and Lucas infiltrating/taking down Gilead.

It really would work well with the end of the book, too.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Thwomp posted:

In a future where 90-95% of the population becomes infertile, you're pretty much looking at end times. What's the point of listening to the government if the government won't be there in a generation? Same for the economy. It's total societal collapse.

See: Children of Men.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Tiggum posted:

The big problem with Nick's background is that it didn't really illuminate anything. I still don't know if he's a true believer or just going along with it. I don't really know what his situation was like before. He seems to have had the same job since right at the beginning, except that now he's also a spy. He's just a really shallow, uninteresting character.

It was very subtle, and I think very well done. Much better than Luke's actually, if only because Luke is Your Average Nice Guy and Nick is more complex. It's really obvious that the showrunners looked at how terrorist groups and cults recruit foot soldiers, and Gilead is basically a hysterically successful ISIS. He's definitely a true believer, he was correcting Pryce on scriptural references when they had coffee and was present for a significant amount of hypocrisy (the discussion on setting up the handmaid system, unmasking the other commander's crimes) yet is pretty tainted himself. My take is that he fell for June pretty hard and the whole brothel sequence was a gutpunch.

Book spoiler: Given that Nick claims to be in Mayday at the end of the book, I think that's what is being set up here. He wanted to believe in what the Sons of Jacob were selling and the rampant corruption/hypocrisy flipped his loyalty.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Also that whole sequence at the end was complete perfection.

"(dramatic flourish) I'm Nick Blaine, and I'm from Michigan."

"Under his eye, Guardian Blaine."

Yes, Nick, your difficulty in opening up to people is so much more important than June's CONSTANT EMOTIONAL AND PHYSICAL RAPE.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Dienes posted:

Does Luke even go to any of the protests?

Nope! It's June and Moira at the last one. There were guys at the protest (one died very messily) but Luke was off feeling very concerned, I imagine.

Thinking since next episode is the final one of the season (and they didn't know if it would be picked up again) that it's going to end where the book did. It sort of makes sense given Nick's general arc and how the Commander seems to be getting more and more careless.

(book ending spoiler) IIRC, at the end of the book, Serena Joy finds June's lipstick on the cloak of Serena's June wears to Jezebel's and blows up at her; later that night the black van pulls up. June assumes Serena Joy reported her and she's dead, but Nick says he made arrangements to get her out thanks to his being a double agent for Mayday. The book ends with the van pulling off and the reader unsure of June's fate, if Nick is a member of Mayday or even if he's really an Eye (it's never made explicit in the book). A postscript set in a post-Gilead future analyzing June's story notes that the Commander was purged shortly thereafter for harboring an enemy of the state but no one knows if that referred to June or Nick.

Really the only thing from the book left to show is Serena Joy taunting June with Hannah's picture. They may not want to go there since the show seems to want to paint Serena Joy as evil in a complicit/complicated way and at this point taking ownership of June's having her child stolen would be really hard to justify.

So you can see pretty easily where everything is heading towards, along with the season-ending cliffhanger. My only question is how Moira and Emily/Ofglen are brought back/if they are, or if those plot threads remain for next season.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I'm kind of confused by Nick's mentor and why a dude in Gilead's future inner circle would be working in a comparatively lowly position at a job bank beforehand. I get that it'd be a good place for recruiting, but if you're that high up, I'd imagine that you'd have more important things to plan and be leaving the recruiting to subordinates.

I got the impression he rose fairly high very quickly in the hierarchy, and early in the founding of the Sons of Jacob, finding reliable people to do dirty work is in fact what secret policemen on the make would do.

(plus, you know, dramatic license, way to introduce a persona for the unforgiving true-believer political police side of Gilead, etc.)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 7, 2017

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

business hammocks posted:

I hope there's at least one season spent with assholish sexist college professors in the far future working on their book.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Jesus, while that would be funny the last thing I need is for this to end with the pendulum swinging back again.

This was the epilogue to the book, which is what was being referred to (a scholarly conference in Nunavut, it's heavily implied that global warming and the infertility plague led to a distinct lack of white people.)

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Shima Honnou posted:

They say it's to clean up toxic waste but I imagine it's just what they tell people, the actual destination is probably a bullet and a hole in the ground.

In the book they show video footage to handmaids of the toxic cleanups, it's made very explicit that it's due to the environment getting polluted and causing fertility to go haywire. It's never addressed in the Hulu version, wouldn't be surprised if it was being saved for Season 2 exposition.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Remember when I said they wouldn't show Serena taunting June with Hannah because they're trying to make the character more sympaBOY HOWDY THAT WAS WRONG

That salvaging scene tho...

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

lol that Feeling Good scene felt really misguided. you're still rape slaves with no agency but at least you didn't have to kill your friend! empowerment!

It was tremendously empowering because it was the first moment where the Handmaids realized the power they had through unity; Aunt Lydia could have ordered the Guardians to just shoot Offred or Ofglen in the head and by Gilead's rules probably should have, but she didn't because she understood how hosed up the entire scene was. That open defiance was not stopped. Sure, "there will be consequences" but it still happened. That's why it was so important, and most likely a callout to Season 2: Resist

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

succ posted:

is this a book spoiler? what conference?

The book ends with an epilogue describing an academic conference 200 years later discussing the events of the book. A good deal of background detail in the series (such as the Commander's name and how various parts of Gilead were established) is explained there.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Wizgot posted:

I recently started the book and read about three chapters, which were quite short. I had no idea there was a series until I googled the title. Just got done with all the episodes and I have to say, episode three messed me up the most. You all know why.

I'm not sure if I should finish the book or wait for season 2.

If you've seen the series, nothing in the book will be a spoiler as the first season and the book end at literally the same scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah, and not sure how it'd be relevant to enjoying the show anyway, it's not like Offred leans over and whispers into the camera about engrams

• Locked thread