Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

lalaland posted:

EQN was such a success why wouldn't you give them MORE money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

eonwe posted:

i think its interesting but its also a kickstarter sandbox mmo and that basically means its probably DOA

Thread was posted by ADL, probably isn't needed in that sentence

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

http://forums.linkrealms.com/topic/5588/time-to-say-goodbye

Its actually dead RIP

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm blown away that the people who failed to make EQ Next are kickstarting another game. The project that sold $100 "early access passes" and "allowed" the community to compete in monthly events where they literally designed art assets for use in the main game, for free. The project that went dead quiet for years before being sold to a russian investment firm with ties to the mob, still selling those early access kits all the while. The project that kept selling those kits right up until the day they literally announced it was never coming out.

The fact that this isn't a Transverse-level failure is testament to exactly how desperate mmo fans have become.

Renova Group, who bought SOE, are most famous for using ex-spetznas mercenaries to perform an armed takeover of a canadian oil well in siberia.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lemon King posted:

Great way to have a ton of cool art and no game.

Its exactly the lineup you need for a good kickstarter though

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Pawn 17 posted:

Guys, guys, with this sweet kickstarter money they could hire 10 programmers for 1 year. Including a netcode bro!

I'm curious though, for games like this do they just use the kickstarter money as a sales pitch to VCs? Cause I think an MMO costs like $50+ million to make. And this game could be cool if it ever gets made.

edit: The vanilla WoW cost over $75M in today's money to make.

What VC would fund a pvp sandbox mmo when every piece of evidence points to the moment you didn't have to play a pvp mmo everyone stopped playing pvp mmos.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Freakazoid_ posted:

The same generation has also had a niche group that chased down every singe open pvp MMO that ever made it to closed beta, so it's not like a new thing. However, the popularity of modern survival games seems to have reignited an interest in open pvp, so we may see more of this madness in the future.

A lot of the reason dayZ clones are so prevalent currently comes down to these factors:

-Most entry level fps engines now come with adequate netcode to run them without any real knowledge required by the developer themselves
-they are cheap to make because you don't have to do anything than populate a map with poo poo and put in some crafting tiers
-streamers can use it as a way to engage with their audience (play with me style poo poo)
-the more popular ones like h1z1 koth and pubg have really short times between game loops so getting ganked and starting from scratch isn't a huge disaster

None of those things can be embraced by a mmo so yeah

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Zaodai posted:

You know what game let one player dumpster a bunch of people in a city with a monster? World of Warcraft. Sure, you weren't supposed to, but it was a popular pastime for Hunters back in the day to kite one of the worldbosses into Orgrimmar (or Stormwind on the alliance side) and watch it just murder the poo poo out of people who were otherwise just trying to hit the auction house or the bank, or that were AFK in what they thought would be a safe area. There would be times where people couldn't organize a proper group to kill the boss, and it would just go around one shotting people until that part of the city was a ghost town and it either de-aggro'd or a raid geared tank and healer showed up to pull it out of the city.

Also I love the "people will always call something that is being successful a scam" comment. :allears: Ashes of Creation - Already a Success(ful Scam)

The finest moment in WoW was the TBC launch event when they were spawning kazak into capital cities intentionally

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Valatar posted:

I disagree; I think the finest moment was the zombie plague. The absolute tears from people were indescribable.

Getting your pet living bomb on baron then unsummoning it, leaving it unsummoned until after the raid then summoning it in the AH was better than the zombie plague. The TBC launch event made the capitals death zones you could not enter for hours or even on smaller servers days. It was the same situation kiting a green dragon into org got you, but done intentionally by the devs. The only thing that disrupted the flow of the game to the same extent was launch day plagued blood on hakkar.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The single largest stumbling block to playing a action mmo with your friends is that foreigners who weren't European during the early days of wow played on us servers. A tab target mmo, especially wow with its incredible server client system was fineat the 3-400ms latency you always had. I can still raid fine in the hardest mythic content on that ping. For Somme reason Destiny works ok as well. Mobas are fine. But a game that has model collision and free aim will be a disaster.

As a result a lot of you potential market who associate playing online games with playing with Americans will out of the gate not play because of latency. Multiplayer games with large team pops and action combat are never going to work.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I guess, but Kickstarter only gets a 5% cut so it's only worth about $163K+. It could have been just bad timing that it all came to light after funding happened. It would look messy to cancel it right after funding. But yeah, it sucks.

Expecting a tech startup to act ethically or follow rules that would cost it money is laughable.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Countdown till Ashes of Creation absorbs like 50% of the people working on Shroud of the Avatar and goes under a year later.

I still do a lol every time I remember shroud of the avatar and pantheon had a crossover promotion and neither game has the promo items in it still, hell 1 hasn't even ever offered the players a alpha.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

TheAgent posted:

star citizen is still missing its shroud of the avatar crossbow, too

Maybe Croberts is playing the long game of waiting until Shroud shutters in a month or so then he doesn't have to abide by the contract anymore because the other entity doesn't exist.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

RagnarokZ posted:

Shouldn't that just be a common sense rule by now, do not kickstart MMOs at all, ever, ever, never, don't, just don't, run away.

This but crowd funding in general

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Verbose posted:

Oh poo poo is DFO still around? Lets just play that

Not only is it around, the korean developers are running the US servers instead of Nexon and its only one year behind the korean version in terms of patching

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The thread op is Alexander de large. The game is never coming out and is a scam by virtue of this fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Cool Buff Man posted:

Lazy Peon was the guy too stupid to handle FF14 so he bought the skip potions and then wondered why the game felt confusing and detached

He's not very smart and it's very ok to make fun of him

Lazy peopn is very dumb and making fun of him is fine. Pretending forcing you to play through all the garbage makework to play the current content in ff14 is cool is also dumb.