Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Amy Pole Her posted:

I'm very lukewarm on miamis 1st round pick but I seriously love the rest of our picks

Well warm the gently caress up :argh:

Nah I honestly think Harris should end up pretty good as long as you guys don't try to turn him into a DT or something dumb. I hope he's good for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Glumslinger posted:

Did the Bears even draft a single player who we can expect to be a starter on opening day?

Maybe Shaheen but rookie TEs take a while to come along til they become starters.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I think a lot of the draft gurus were pretty honest about this year being a complete toss up. It's rare that anyone gets things right after like the top 10, but this year was exceptionally odd. Most people got Miles Garrett to Cleveland right, but to be fair most years we know well in advance what is happening with the first pick. A lot of people got Solomon Thomas to San Francisco right, but not trading back to three. I saw a lot of Leonard Fournette to Jacksonville and Christian McCaffrey to Carolina mocks, but no one had the three WRs going in the top 9.

I think the run on WRs and QBs in the top 12 threw a wrench into everyone's board.

The Glumslinger posted:

Did the Bears even draft a single player who we can expect to be a starter on opening day?

I think none of the Panthers picks will be opening day starters either, which is weird for a team with Super Bowl aspirations. McCaffrey will be behind Stewart, Samuel will be the third or fourth WR, Moton might be the backup RT, Hall might be the third DE behind Peppers and Johnson, Elder might be the fourth CB if he beats out Sanchez and Armah will compete for the starting FB job.

I guess technically McCaffrey or Samuel will be our starting PR/KR, and a lot of guys will get snaps.

Slowpoke! fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 1, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

Maybe Shaheen but rookie TEs take a while to come along til they become starters.

Does this apply to OJ Howard as well? I'm curious how quickly he integrates with Brate already having a large part in the Bucs O.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Blitz7x posted:

Someone go through old draft threads and correlate TFF post draft rankings with these numbers

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/nfl-draft-performance-grades-best-drafting-teams-picks-classes-2012-2016

Aka never trust a SF or CLE draft

I don't think many people have loved any of these teams drafts, although I remember thinking the 2013 Jets draft was good. I mean, 2 good defensive players and a quarterback prospect "feels" good even if only one of those players panned out.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

Someone go through old draft threads and correlate TFF post draft rankings with these numbers

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/nfl-draft-performance-grades-best-drafting-teams-picks-classes-2012-2016

It's strange seeing Nick Perry among the Packers least valuable picks after getting a $60m extension and Eddie Lacy among the most valuable when he's on the Seahawks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

adaz posted:

I don't think many people have loved any of these teams drafts, although I remember thinking the 2013 Jets draft was good. I mean, 2 good defensive players and a quarterback prospect "feels" good even if only one of those players panned out.

2013 is actually an above average Jet draft for the last decade lol.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I don't follow college ball much at all, so I really don't know. Outside of Takk, I have never heard of any of our picks but that is par for the course. I remember people not being thrilled about our draft class last year and it ended up being gang busters so I have faith that TD and DQ did their jobs and got some players. I was really wanting Foster in the 1st, is his shoulder really that bad? Anyway, if anyone can tell me anything about these guys that'd be swell.

1. Takkarist McKinley, DE, UCLA : Surprised he was there at 26 considering most everywhere had him a top 15 talent but this draft was so weird. Loved the f bomb, loved the grandma picture, loved the crazy. Seems like he is a fun player that was productive while playing through shoulder injury. I'm reading he should be good to go for the preseason. The obvious goal is to pair Takk with Vic and let them wreak havoc on opposing QBs.

3. Duke Riley, LB, LSU : Have zero clue other than LSU DAD making that amazing youtube video. Reading up on him, he seems to fit the mold of Deion Jones and Kwon Alexander so if that is the case than super cool! They are slotting him at weakside which would true up our LB corps with a young, fast, trio of Campbell/Jones/Riley.

4. Sean Harlow, G, Oregon State : Zero clue. Seems like a big bully and we have a need at Guard :shrug:

5. Damontae Kazee, CB, San Diego State : Zero clue. Paging Ross. Have read he is a ball hawk and may have been a pretty good middle round steal.

5. Brian Hill, RB, Wyoming : Zero clue. Have again read good things and sounds like he could also be a middle round steal.

5. Eric Saubert, TE, Drake University : I don't know why everyone passed on Bucky Hodges so much, but he was the other guy I knew about going in and really wanted. Supposedly this guy is very similar to Bucky, but coming from Drake? Eh?

Thus concludes my in depth analysis. Thank you for reading.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Blitz7x posted:

:lol: at Russell Bodine being good value. Also how can you put a value on last year's class already?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
A lot of the criticism of the Chiefs draft is that they took developmental guys (Mahomes, Kpassagnon) with their high picks, and instead should have taken immediate-impact rookies that would help them get over the 1st/2nd round playoff exit hump and into a Super Bowl.

I don't really agree with that, I don't think the Chiefs were a All-Pro defensive player away from a SB. They have a very limited ceiling due to Alex Smith, and unless they somehow put together a 2000 Ravens type D in the offseason, it's not a Super Bowl team at all, it may not even be a playoff team this coming season. So I'm pretty happy with the high-ceiling risks Dorsey took, especially since he is usually is a pretty conservative GM cut from the typical Packers mold.

The Mahomes pick is especially interesting because: A) He doesn't fit into Andy Reid's offense at all, at least how its built now for Alex Smith and B) Reid/Dorsey were really excited to get Mahomes, to the point where they had the trade up to #10 planned out with Buffalo a week in advance, and according to Peter King's 49ers war room article, the Chiefs were even ready to trade up to the Jags top 5 pick to get Mahomes. That juxtaposition is exciting.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

SHOAH NUFF posted:

A lot of the criticism of the Chiefs draft is that they took developmental guys (Mahomes, Kpassagnon) with their high picks, and instead should have taken immediate-impact rookies that would help them get over the 1st/2nd round playoff exit hump and into a Super Bowl.

I don't really agree with that, I don't think the Chiefs were a All-Pro defensive player away from a SB. They have a very limited ceiling due to Alex Smith, and unless they somehow put together a 2000 Ravens type D in the offseason, it's not a Super Bowl team at all, it may not even be a playoff team this coming season. So I'm pretty happy with the high-ceiling risks Dorsey took, especially since he is usually is a pretty conservative GM cut from the typical Packers mold.

The Mahomes pick is especially interesting because: A) He doesn't fit into Andy Reid's offense at all, at least how its built now for Alex Smith and B) Reid/Dorsey were really excited to get Mahomes, to the point where they had the trade up to #10 planned out with Buffalo a week in advance, and according to Peter King's 49ers war room article, the Chiefs were even ready to trade up to the Jags top 5 pick to get Mahomes. That juxtaposition is exciting.

I kind of feel the same about the Dolphins, QB excepted. Next year is not our year, but all the players we drafted should benefit from a year of limited snaps and being an understudy

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Diva Cupcake posted:

It's strange seeing Nick Perry among the Packers least valuable picks after getting a $60m extension and Eddie Lacy among the most valuable when he's on the Seahawks.

You probably know this but it's because Perry had a very unremarkable first four seasons before coming on bigly in 2016. Lacy was a huge part of the Packers' offense until he got fat and injured.

I'm not sure I like AV as a stat though.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
The best part of the Draftermath is reading about 37 different players with "top 10 talent" and about how every team got steals with two thirds of their picks.

Lake Wobegon: where all the linemen are strong, all the measurables are looking good, and all the picks are above average.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.
And every UDFA is a diamond in the rough!

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

And every UDFA is a diamond in the rough!

That's ridiculous, not every UDFA can be a diamond in the rough.

Only the ones my favorite team picked up!

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Volkerball posted:

Lol I wondered what your angle on this was going to be. I guess WE DIDN'T NEED ONE ANYWAYS is about what I expected.

My angle is that RM picked up a guy off the street last year and he played well at MLB. The Raiders spent three picks on improving the middle of the defense but because none were MLBS at pick 1 or 2 they somehow failed? Marquel Lee's tape looks good, he can shed blocks and is a big kid.

warcrimes fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 1, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
the raiders literally had no secondary last year, none, I can't count the amount of times someone caught a ball deep with nothing but green meadows around them

what I'm saying is, it can't get any worse, so why not

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Chokes McGee posted:

the raiders literally had no secondary last year, none, I can't count the amount of times someone caught a ball deep with nothing but green meadows around them

what I'm saying is, it can't get any worse, so why not

Counterpoint, you could hire Lovie Smith to coach the secondary.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
In the past the Raiders had no push up the middle, no edge pressure, and no coverage. Now we have edge pressure, theoretical coverage and no push up the middle. Maybe the former can make up for the latter? Or maybe I'm an optimistic retard

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MAHOMES.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

kiimo posted:

MAHOMES.

I love how there is only 20 yards between him and Hill (I'm assuming) before he pulls a "Nope, too far..."

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Blitz7x posted:

In the past the Raiders had no push up the middle, no edge pressure, and no coverage. Now we have edge pressure, theoretical coverage and no push up the middle. Maybe the former can make up for the latter? Or maybe I'm an optimistic retard

A hopefully healthy MEJ and Vanderdoes should give solid push up the middle. FWIW, here's Rotoworld's take on the Raiders draft:

Overview: Since a fire-able start to his tenure as GM, Reggie McKenzie has been on a wicked tear. The Raiders have earned consecutive B+ draft grades from Rotoworld – in hindsight, they deserved a capital A+ in 2015 – and delivered another solid haul here with four likely early contributors in Conley, Melifonwu, Vanderdoes, Lee, and an intriguing project in Sharpe at a position of need. I trust McKenzie has solid information Conley will be exonerated of the draft-week allegations against him, of course. I thought Conley had the best tape of any corner in this class, including higher-rated teammate Marshon Lattimore. It was not Lattimore whom the Buckeyes’ coaching staff left on man-coverage islands against Clemson’s Mike Williams and Penn State’s Chris Godwin. It was Conley. Ware is a player Rotoworld’s Josh Norris identified as a pre-draft sleeper. Lee was a terrific round-five value pick I expect to push for immediate snaps. Melifonwu is George Iloka 2.0, and Reggie Nelson’s eventual replacement. More often than not, the rich get richer in the NFL draft. The Raiders have established themselves amongst the rich.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

kiimo posted:

MAHOMES.

oh god

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

kiimo posted:

MAHOMES.

Yep, he'll make that throw across his body, off his back foot with zero fear. He's fearless

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It is going to be a tremendous exercise in patience because you know Mahomes is gonna bomb it out against some 5th string DB in the preseason games.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I believe mahomes will be the second coming of favre it's going to own

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I know this is the thread for eternal optimism but that being said I'm incredibly encouraged by every single thing I read.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

kiimo posted:

MAHOMES.

MAHOMES.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

29 picks is a lot of interceptions in college but then again 93 touchdowns is kind of awe inspiring.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Alex Smith throws like 4 picks a year and has never sniffed 4k yards, I am 100% okay with more interceptions from future Chiefs QBs

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Metapod posted:

I believe mahomes will be the second coming of favre it's going to own

I get this feeling too. Or he could be Bortles. It's 50/50 really, but I love that he went to Andy Reid

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Andy Reid is a Really Good Coach. if anyone was going to turn mahome into something good it's ANdy.

I mean, he's turned Alex Smith into a fairly decent quaterback.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

adaz posted:

Andy Reid is a Really Good Coach. if anyone was going to turn mahome into something good it's ANdy.

And won a playoff game with an old as hell Jeff Garcia

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I get this feeling too. Or he could be Bortles. It's 50/50 really, but I love that he went to Andy Reid

KC or possibly New Orleans (who were rumored to like him if KC didn't trade up) are the perfect places for Mahomes to maybe turn into what he could be. Which is exciting!

fsif's gif is part of why it's also terrifying.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.

adaz posted:

Alex Smith was already decent!

Has Reid actually developed a good QB since McNabb?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I am not sure how great of a QB developer Reid is, as in, someone who helps a QB get better at individual quarterbacking skills (footwork, ball placement, arm mechanics, etc.), I think what is he better known for is slotting in a variety of flawed QBs into his offense and getting very good results from them.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Trying to think of a QB he's developed at all since McNabb and the only one I can think of is Bray and that guy is about as bright as a drunk chicken

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

weird Asian candy posted:

5. Damontae Kazee, CB, San Diego State : Zero clue. Paging Ross. Have read he is a ball hawk and may have been a pretty good middle round steal.

Kazee was our senior captain of the best defense in college football last year in terms of turnovers. He's a ball hawk and he'll tend to gamble a lot. Great instincts, but his tackling could use some work too. Glad to see him go to a good team with a good defensive coach

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

a neat cape posted:

Kazee was our senior captain of the best defense in college football last year in terms of turnovers. He's a ball hawk and he'll tend to gamble a lot. Great instincts, but his tackling could use some work too. Glad to see him go to a good team with a good defensive coach

Awesome, thank you! Do you think he could transition to FS? Without taking one in this draft and with this pick, I am thinking DQ is moving someone to FS in the near future but not sure who. Poole maybe? Kazee if he has those ball hawk skilllllllllllllllz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Alex Smith was already decent!

Has Reid actually developed a good QB since McNabb?

He has had his best years under Andy. Yards, completion percentage, touchdown, low interceptions, etc all way above what they were in San fran.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl03.htm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread