Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Reid constantly made McNabb's backups not look like outclassed garbage when Donovan got hurt (2002 and arguably 06 since nobody believed in Garcia after he flamed out with the Browns). Michael Vick's best years by some distance were under Reid, as has been the case with Alex Smith. And neither of those QBs are remotely similar to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

weird Asian candy posted:

Awesome, thank you! Do you think he could transition to FS? Without taking one in this draft and with this pick, I am thinking DQ is moving someone to FS in the near future but not sure who. Poole maybe? Kazee if he has those ball hawk skilllllllllllllllz

I'm not sure about his speed in covering the whole field. And that 5'10 listing is a bit generous

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

adaz posted:

He has had his best years under Andy. Yards, completion percentage, touchdown, low interceptions, etc all way above what they were in San fran.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl03.htm

Andy Reid's offense is a tad bit different in focus than Jim Harbaugh's. Just a tad.

Okay, maybe more than just a tad.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Grittybeard posted:

KC or possibly New Orleans (who were rumored to like him if KC didn't trade up) are the perfect places for Mahomes to maybe turn into what he could be. Which is exciting!

fsif's gif is part of why it's also terrifying.
Yeah, it seems like Mahomes and Watson landed in really good circumstances. Mahomes gets to work with one of the best in the business in Andy Reid without the pressure of having to actually start for a team with playoff aspirations.
Watson is going to start, but all he has to do is be better than Brock Osweiler/Tom Savage/Ryan Mallet/Brian Hoyer. And that's a really low bar. He has excellent options when back to pass, and Lamar Miller can definitely carry the offense. Plus, he has a great defense to bail him out.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

a neat cape posted:

I'm not sure about his speed in covering the whole field. And that 5'10 listing is a bit generous

So we basically re-drafted Brent Grimes? I'm ok with that.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Coldforge posted:

Andy Reid's offense is a tad bit different in focus than Jim Harbaugh's. Just a tad.

Because Andy retools his offense to fit his players. As Durandal1707 pointed out, he has had a lot of different QBs with a whole lot of different styles and they've all been good to above average. That's coaching, nobody just lucks into that.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I want Favre 2.0 so bad - neglecting the fact that it's extremely unlikely - so i'm really talking myself into this. BUT STILL.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Coldforge posted:

I would also not weigh too heavily what Smith did in San Fran prior to Harbaugh's arrival. That place was a dumpster fire.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think a lot of people were down on Mahomes because of the air raid but unlike most air raid college QBs Mahomes was given the option of calling plays and audibling. I didn't know he was that smart either, that voice and hair can be deceiving. 4.0 student that apparently can read defenses quickly. That was Reid's #1 reason for drafting him, not the arm. The arm is just gravy. I'm optimistic.

Oh I suppose the footwork being abysmal didn't help but that's coachable and makes him more accurate but he was already accurate with the bad footwork soooo

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

adaz posted:

Because Andy retools his offense to fit his players. As Durandal1707 pointed out, he has had a lot of different QBs with a whole lot of different styles and they've all been good to above average. That's coaching, nobody just lucks into that.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I want Favre 2.0 so bad - neglecting the fact that it's extremely unlikely - so i'm really talking myself into this. BUT STILL.

Partially, I guess, maybe; but in a completely irrelevant way to Alex Smith being "good" or not. He was perfectly good in Jim Harbaugh's offense, he was just asked to do a lot less with his arm.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

kiimo posted:

29 picks is a lot of interceptions in college but then again 93 touchdowns is kind of awe inspiring.

Jared Goff - 96 TDs/30 ints

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

One year with Jeff Fisher is not enough to bury the NFL career of Goff.

He does look like baby Bambi when he tries to move though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

I think a lot of people were down on Mahomes because of the air raid but unlike most air raid college QBs Mahomes was given the option of calling plays and audibling.

Mahomes was never your typical air raid quarterback just because of the arm, most of those guys have noodly arms because you don't need a big arm to make that offense work. Well and historically the programs who went full air raid weren't the schools picking up the best recruits, I guess that's changing a little bit recently.

I don't know, I like that he has some chops reading defenses (from the shotgun) pre snap, I like that he appears to go through progressions now and then. As a Chiefs fan I particularly like that he checks deep first and when he scrambles he keeps his eyes down field instead of just bugging out. Other than the putrid, awful footwork what worries me the most is just how much he trusts his arm. Trusting that you can make a throw is good up to a point, but I don't know if he'll ever learn that there are throws that just cannot be made.

The nightmare scenario is he turns into a more accurate Kyle Boller.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I would also not weigh too heavily what Smith did in San Fran prior to Harbaugh's arrival. That place was a dumpster fire.

Pretty much. If you look at those stats, it's fairly obvious that the real divide is between pre-2011 and post-2011 as opposed to Smith on the 49ers and Smith on the Chiefs.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I'm really interested to see where Mack Hollins is in like three years. Dude seems really feast or famine.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Alex Smith was already decent!

Has Reid actually developed a good QB since McNabb?
He turned Vick into an adequate passer :shobon:

Kolb might of turned out alright if he didn't get his brains scrambled.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This guy is in great shape. Low body fat, great muscle definition, I'm jealous.

Then you see that this guy is 6'7, 289 pounds. :stare:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
the guy behind him has a powerful rear end

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Why are those pullup bars like 13 feet in the air?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

kiimo posted:

I think a lot of people were down on Mahomes because of the air raid but unlike most air raid college QBs Mahomes was given the option of calling plays and audibling. I didn't know he was that smart either, that voice and hair can be deceiving. 4.0 student that apparently can read defenses quickly. That was Reid's #1 reason for drafting him, not the arm. The arm is just gravy. I'm optimistic.

Oh I suppose the footwork being abysmal didn't help but that's coachable and makes him more accurate but he was already accurate with the bad footwork soooo

I saw a lot of first read only plays from Mahomes. Stare down the hot route then tuck and run when it doesn't work. He still goes through progressions but he's not super accomplished at it yet, I don't think.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I can buy that. In my ideal world he sits for two full seasons.

But if Alex Smith throws for 15 touchdowns again, the heat will be on in 2018.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Metapod posted:

I believe mahomes will be the second coming of favre it's going to own
The league needs more funslingers. They own Favre owns MAHONES is gonna own.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

kiimo posted:

I can buy that. In my ideal world he sits for two full seasons.

But if Alex Smith throws for 15 touchdowns again, the heat will be on in 2018.
You're not going to sit a guy (for more than one year) that you moved up into the top 10 for unless Alex Smith pulls a Favre and starts playing out of his mind. We both know that's not going to happen.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

weird Asian candy posted:

Why are those pullup bars like 13 feet in the air?

If you wanna do pull ups, you better have the legs to start. Get mad ups.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

LiquidFriend posted:

You're not going to sit a guy (for more than one year) that you moved up into the top 10 for unless Alex Smith pulls a Favre and starts playing out of his mind. We both know that's not going to happen.

So you can't see a possible timeline with Reid starting Alex Smith in 2018 after he wins 12 games again? I mean, he'd have to rework his contract. I can see it.

But I could also see Alex getting hurt for three games, Mahomes throwing as far and as hard as he can and somehow still not be able to overthrow Tyreek Hill and Alex never getting that spot back.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Alex Smith represents $17m cap savings with $3.6m in dead money after 2017. It's like 90% this is his last year with the Chiefs unless Mahomes faceplants and is nowhere near ready after redshirting.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Alex Smith was already decent!

Has Reid actually developed a good QB since McNabb?
How many QBs are we talking about? He had McNabb, Garcia, Vick and now Smith as frequent starters, and all 4 beat out expectations by a lot. Kolb looked good in between concussions.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Alex Smith sucks so it wouldn't surprise me to see him lose his job this year during the season, even if its unlikely

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Hey Ehud and Crazy and whoever else, you might be interested in this thing from rockmnation about Charles Harris.

Just a writeup with some quotes from Harris about how he got into football, he might be Pinkel's last ridiculous find. Terry Beckner Jr might end up as his last recruit to get drafted high if he puts things together and stops getting hurt, but he was a 5 star guy. Harris didn't even have a rivals ranking.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Alex Smith sucks so it wouldn't surprise me to see him lose his job this year during the season, even if its unlikely

Alex Smith is 43-21 in KC, made the playoffs 3/4 years and won the first playoff game for KC since 1993. It will take injury for him to get supplanted before 2018.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

kiimo posted:

So you can't see a possible timeline with Reid starting Alex Smith in 2018 after he wins 12 games again? I mean, he'd have to rework his contract. I can see it.

But I could also see Alex getting hurt for three games, Mahomes throwing as far and as hard as he can and somehow still not be able to overthrow Tyreek Hill and Alex never getting that spot back.
Who says Alex would want to take a steep paycut? I think 2017 is it for Alex.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Alex has two years left on his deal, Mahomes is almost certainly the starter in 2019, 2018 depends on his development

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

kiimo posted:

Alex Smith is 43-21 in KC, made the playoffs 3/4 years and won the first playoff game for KC since 1993. It will take injury for him to get supplanted before 2018.

I'm seeing shades of Drew Brees in 2005

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

I'm seeing shades of Drew Brees in 2005

I'm gonna go ahead and guess Alex isn't going to go on and become one of the most prolific passers in NFL history.

I'd almost like to be wrong just to see what this would look like.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and guess Alex isn't going to go on and become one of the most prolific passers in NFL history.

A team with 2 kelces, two hills, and 6 o linemen who are actually bulldozer transformers

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I meant an injury in week 17 against Denver

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

where are all the grading articles btw

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

CannonFodder posted:

The league needs more funslingers. They own Favre owns MAHONES is gonna own.

It's cool that Big Ben eventually grew up into a real quarterback, but holy poo poo was it more fun when he would just run around shrugging off 300lb dudes until Hine Ward was open 30 yards behind the defense on 3rd and 40 after taking 2 consecutive sacks

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mahomes sounds like a muppet, specifically Cookie Monster and I like it.

I will never get behind that hair though.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

took a look at some draft grades, looks like the failing literally every single person who writes about the draft is unfairly going after the bears again. fake news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
you need to add a "Sad!" at the end of that.

• Locked thread