Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Brownhat posted:

No one deserves to win in a week 17 league.

Welcome back Fantasy Sports Fans, it's 2018. It's officially time to be wrong 40% of the time at best get ready for some fake football!

Free League Hosting Services
  • ESPN: ESPN is stable and reliable system that's fairly powerful. It's the one I personally use and have no complaints.
  • CBS: The grandaddy. There are both free and premium subscriptions.
  • Yahoo: Yahoo has a somewhat clunky interface and terrible “experts” but it’s free and not terribly hard to use.
  • NFL.com: Flashy interface and integrated video, the NFL seems to be sinking some money into the site. The draft interface is unfortunate.
  • Fleaflicker: It’s a free site and very highly reviewed. The interface is spartan and information-driven and league customization options are deep.
Premium League Hosting Services
  • My Fantasy League: Allows the greatest range of league customization options (both the league web site and rules). Winner of multiple FSTA League Manager Product awards. Fantastic for dynasty, and well worth the $60 it costs to run a league each year.
Useful Free Resources
  • NBC Rotoworld: THE source for examining specific players and getting news on them. I don't even bother using their on-site search engine; just Google "Rotoworld (Player Name)" and it'll pop right up.
  • Football Guys: Has a free daily newsletter that I consider mandatory. It provides you with updates and alerts about players. They also have a really nice amount of content should you subscribe.
  • FantasyFootballCalculator: The current standard for mock drafting. It's a good place to find other people and get some experience with the pace of drafting. Another new mock draft site that's generating some buzz is SnapDraft. I haven't had a chance to use it myself.
  • FantasyPros: An immensely helpful aggregrator, taking data from all sorts of sources and providing a consensus of their thoughts. Personally I think this is the best method for looking at projections and predictions, as to be honest at best people will be around 60% correct. They also have a free weekly cheat sheet where you can input your team and get back projections; if you have multiple teams it's worth dropping the cash for the premium edition.
  • Reddit Fantasy Football: They're very active and frequently post new information and articles. Probably one of the easiest ways to pick up new info, and the community is well moderated.
  • Pro Football Reference: More statistics than is probably healthy for any particular person. If you're at the point in your fantasy football progression where you're consulting sites like this for information then congratulations, you're one of us.
  • Gridiron Experts: Previously a free site, they've decided to go for a free model this year.
Useful Premium Resources
  • Rotopass: A group rate for multiple sites; Footballguys, Rotowire, ESPN Insider, RosterWatch, RotoViz, Fantasy Insiders, and $10 credit to FanDuel and DRAFT.
  • The Fantasy Footballers: Three guys with a great podcast and an extremely comprehensive draft guide.
  • 4For4: Known for their accuracy, and one of the premium services I subscribe to.
  • Rotoviz: Premium article-heavy site full of interesting analysis and data driven projections. One of my favorites.
  • Dynasty League Football: This site offers advice specific to dynasty leagues. I consider this a mandatory subscription unless you're in my dynasty league.
  • Pro Football Focus: Additional projections and fantasy news.
  • FantasyPros: The standard for fantasy data aggregation, and you can pay for access to a roster management and mock draft package called My Playbook that is very helpful.
Useful League Resources
  • Clicky Draft: Online free draft board. I used this last year in my family league to put the board on our flat screen.
ADP, Rankings and Projections

Twitter
Football Guys
@Sigmundbloom Produces the excellent "Audible" podcast. My favorite follow.
@MattWaldman Writes the Rookie Scouting Portfolio. I'm not sure he sleeps.
@JeneBramel MD and Football Guy, excellent for injury updates on gameday morning and IDP advice

Misc. Writers
@4for4_Paul - from 4for4, most accurate guy the last couple years
@ChrisWesseling Former writer for NBC rotoworld, works for Falcons media now I think. Not sure if he's still gonna do fantasy when 2013 rolls around. If he does, he's one of the best, and well worth the follow.
@dpbrugler Dane Brugler, former NFL scout and writer for CBS, good follow.
@SC_DougFarrar Doug Farrar of shutdown corner
@LanceZierlein Runs thesidelineview.com, great follow
@Dumonjic_Alen Bleacher report/sidelineview contributor, player evals. Smart kid.

Pro Football Focus
@MikeClayNFL Accurate, prolific, one of the better writers
@JeffRatcliffe Great for IDP
@PFF_RossMiles Also great for IDP, does a weekly IDP show with Ratcliffe
@dynastytim used to write for Dynasty League Football, just joined PFF. Great dynasty follow.

NFL Guys
@AlbertBreer
@gregcosell
@mortreport
@AdamSchefter

Varg posted:

Footballguys just emailed out an entire list of who to follow on twitter for every team's fantasy purposes.. I might actually pay attention to twitter now. I put it into an excel file in case anyone who's not subscribed to their mailings is interested. BeerGod feel free to add this to the OP too if you want

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2td2v607i1oexx/fantasy-football-twitter.xls?dl=0

Podcasts
  • The Fantasy Footballers: Has basically become the default fantasy football podcast, featuring three guys who are full time fantasy nuts. Decent balance of humor and conversation, although personally I find them somewhat repetitive.
  • The Audible: Footballguys has a regular podcast that combines a healthy amount of insight, injury help with Dr. Jene Bramel, and they're very football-focused if you prefer that to other podcasts that have gimmicks or gags.
  • CBS Fantasy Football Today: Another high tier podcast that balances humor and insight, with multiple perspectives and a decent amount of access thanks to their CBS affiliation.
  • 4For4 Most Accurate Podcast: John Paulsen has repeatedly won awards for accuracy, and he provides a ton of information in a condensed amount of time. The mood is light and never boring, and at only 30 minutes per episode it's short and to the point.
  • Around The NFL: Although not technically a fantasy-specific podcast, they have a lot of useful information and provide a pretty cool insight into the workings of NFL media. They also seem to get a ton of really cool guests and the conversation is surprisingly candid. This has become my favorite podcast.

Introduction
Fantasy Football is the ancient art of nerds pouring over statistics in the hopes of predicting how infinitely more athletic and successful men will perform over the course of a professional football game. In recent history it has become a billion dollar industry while infusing itself into the collective psyche of the NFL. Countless podcasts, articles, websites, and every other source under the sun have sprung up in support of what is essentially glorified socialized gambling. There's even a television show about a league. Fantasy Football is basically Dungeons & Dragons for jocks football fans. You assemble a roster of individual players from across the National Football League, and then each week the individual performance of the player is tracked and scored. Positive actions like passing, catching, scoring touchdowns, or making field goals give you points. In some leagues negative actions like fumbles, interceptions, or missing a field goal can take away points. At the end of each Monday Night Football game your total score is added up to determine how well you did that week. In many leagues you are pitted against another team for a head-to-head match that determines a winner and a loser. At the end of the season the teams with the most wins will participate in a playoff tournament. The winner of the playoffs will be the champion.

The leagues themselves vary from friendly to insane, including at least one where the loser gets a tattoo chosen by the winner. Other leagues have pots worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, or byzantine rules about relegation, delegation, salary caps, and every other statistic under the sun. We are collectively insane, and we can't get enough. Fantasy Football itself is a lot of fun. Not only do you get to make a game out of watching football, but it also forces you to learn about the sport as a whole. I would never have known (or cared) that last year Darren McFadden was struggling with the Raider's transition from a power blocking scheme to a zone block until he became my first round draft pick and started costing me games. It makes you a better fan when you know all the players on the field. Dirt Worshipper said it best:

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Before I played fantasy I despised it. We all know the obnoxious guy at the sports bar in the Brady jersey, running in between TV’s screaming ”Throw Jennings the ball!”. They disagree fundamentally with the lessons our fathers taught us about football: You root for your home team, through good years and bad. The bad years are meant to be borne with grim fidelity, the good years are our reward. Fantasy was just wrong.
But then I tried it. I joined a work league and had a blast. Rooting for your “real” football team and your fantasy one are not (usually) mutually exclusive. You need not become that guy. Fantasy has not made me a worse fan. On the contrary, my knowledge of the entire league has grown. I’m able to really enjoy more than one game every Sunday. If you love football, give fantasy a try.

The Basics
A league consists of several owners (typically 12), one of whom is the commissioner who manages the league. At the beginning of the season each owner drafts a roster of players. Rosters are typically fifteen players and consist of starters and a bench of reserve players to replace starters who are injured or on bye weeks. A typical starting lineup that will mirror NFL positions and consist of 1 Quarterback (QB), 2 Running Backs (RB), 3 Wide Receivers (WR), 1 Tight End (TE), a Place Kicker (PK), and a Team Defense/Special Teams (DST).

Each week your players will score points for your team according to their performance. Scoring can be very simple or incredibly complicated depending on the league, but many leagues use a standard scoring system where passing provides 1 point per 25 yards, 4 points per passing touchdown, and -1 point per interception and receiving and rushing gain 1 point per 10 yards, 6 points per receiving/rushing touchdown. Field goals are typically worth 3 points, and team defense scoring depends on a number of factors including sacks, interceptions, points allowed, defensive touchdowns, etc. Many leagues will use different scoring systems depending on the preferences of the players. One significant difference is PPR, or Points Per Reception, where wide receiver are awarded a set number of points (typically 0.5 or 1) for every reception.

The league season will go for a set number of weeks during the regular NFL season. Typically the last two to four weeks of the regular season are reserved for the playoffs, and most leagues end on the sixteenth week because many NFL teams will sit their star players in Week 17 if the outcome doesn't matter.

Variations
There are many roster variations that different leagues will use. Many leagues use a flex position where different positions can fit into a slot. The most common form of flex position replaces the third WR position in the standard lineup above with a WR/RB/TE flex position. That means that any Wide Receiver, Running Back, or Tight End player could be used in that slot. Leagues where that flex position allows a QB are typically called "2 QB leagues" because quarterbacks typically score far more points that other players. Other leagues utilize IDP or Individual Defensive Players instead of Team Defenses. IDP players score points for tackles, sacks, interceptions, touchdowns, etc. Many leagues are several years old and include rules to provide continuity between seasons. In contrast to a redraft league where every player is drafted at the start of each season some leagues use keepers where team owners are allowed to keep a set number of players per year. Other leagues are dynasty leagues where the entire roster is kept from year to year. Typically dynasty leagues use much deeper benches and include a rookie draft.

The Draft
Every league starts with a draft, where team owner pick their players. There are two major types of draft; the snake draft and the auction draft. A snake draft is where every owner receives a draft position and then picks a player in order for a number of rounds equal to the roster size. It's called a snake draft because the order "snakes" back and forth each round. In other words the owner who picked last in the first round will pick first in the second. Auction drafts are where each team owner has a set budget and they bid for each player until everyone's roster has been filled. There are numerous drafting strategies out there, but ultimately the goal of any draft is to get the maximum amount of value for your players.

Trades and the Waiver Wire
While drafting is essential, the most successful teams typically win by taking advantage of the waiver wire and trades. Trading is precisely what it sounds like; players offer each other trades that are accepted or rejected. Many leagues incorporate an approval process to prevent collusion where two players will deliberately stack one team and then split the winnings; there is no universe where Adrian Peterson is worth Mark Sanchez. Depending on the league trading may either be nonexistent or commonplace. Many leagues will end trading several weeks before the playoffs begin.

The NFL has hundreds of players and most of them will not be on a team roster. As players are injured or fall out of favor team owners will be forced to pick up free agents to replace them. To do this they use the waiver wire. Each week individual players are locked the moment their team starts their game. For the duration of this "waiver period" owners who wish to claim a free agent submit a "waiver claim." Owners who wish to make more than one waiver claim must indicate the priority of their claims. At the end of the waiver period (typically a day or two after the beginning of the new week) the league software checks the standings of the teams. Going in reverse order (worst standing to highest) the teams get their highest priority claim. If multiple teams have submitted waiver claims for the same player it will go the team with the lowest standing, and the other teams will get their lower priority claims. After the waiver period has ended every player is available to be claimed immediately. The waiver wire is extremely important. Alfred Morris, the 5th ranked running back of 2012, was a free agent in most leagues until the first week. Many owners use the waiver wire to "stream" defenses and other players based on that week's match.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Every year I put together a list of general suggestions for draft strategies, and the community provided some wonderful insight and updates. Now that the NFL draft is over and fantasy football season has started I thought it would be appropriate to revisit those ideas and put together some new thoughts and suggestions. Consider this a living document, and let me know what you think!

Draft strategies are curious things, a strange combination of prognostication and historical analysis. The fact that we're even discussing this right now is indicative of our collective madness. But every year we see the same questions. When should I draft a QB? Should I go RB-RB-RB or WR-RB-WR? Should I get a TE early or wait until the end? I'm in a 2QB/4WR/1RB/FLX/2DST 19 man league with 3.14 PPR and TEs get +1 PPR on Thursday games against teams with blue pants, when should I draft a kicker?

The answer to all these questions is the same: It Depends On The Circumstances.

When you draft a player, you're making a statement. You're telling the world "At this moment I think this guy is the best player available for my team." In order to make that statement you have to have more than a positional strategy, you need to take a holistic approach. You need to take into consideration the needs of your team, the risk of that player under-performing his draft position, the opportunity cost of drafting that player, bye weeks, and a myriad of other factors. Relying on a simple positional strategy omits all of that. Same with relying on a raw value based drafting approach, using rankings, or any other single method. The best drafts combine strategies and consider the whole picture.

1. Know thy league. If your league uses PPR and your cheat sheet is for standard scoring you're putting yourself at a disadvantage. Know your roster requirements, number of teams, starting lineups, and all of your scoring rules. Things like 2QB, keepers, superflex (which is a nice way of saying 2QB with the option to fail), big play scoring, and six point passing touchdowns can dramatically alter how you draft. You should also know your opponents and their tendencies. Is one player a massive homer? Consider how that will affect his draft strategy. Does your league tend to draft QBs super early? Exploit that by picking up valuable skill positions and going with a streaming QB approach. This also applies to whatever sources your opponents use to draft, such as the default rankings.
  2. The level of risk you are willing to take should correlate with the round of the draft. Your early picks are not for flyers, they're for reliable sources of points that can form the core of your team. I've come to be very risk averse in my early picks, mostly because of the damage done by drafting guys like Darren McFadden or Toby Gerhart. Look at the history of your player and any disruptive factors (age, usage, coaching change, team change) that could increase the uncertainty of the prediction. I'm also not a fan of taking rookies in early rounds for this reason.
  3. Know the opportunity cost of your draft choices. Opportunity cost is the essentially the price you pay for the road not travelled. In fantasy terms it's the value of the players you won't draft because of your choice, either because your positional need is decreased or because someone else will draft them. This is one of the core philosophies behind value based drafting, but it's more than just points. It requires you to not only know how you will draft, but ideally also your opponents. Will you drafting player X force your opponent to draft player Y, or will that guy still be around on your next turn? The greatest feeling in the world is when you make your pick and someone after you cries out in anguish.
  4. Develop your own tools for draft day and practice with them. I started making BeerSheets because I wanted something I could print out, bring with me wherever I went, and know that I could follow it to create my team. It needed to be fast, easy to read, and provide enough information to make the right decision without overwhelming you with data. Some drafts let you bring computers, others are just yourself and your mind. Whatever the rules, make sure you have the tools available so that you can stay on top of the draft order and always get the most value.
  5. Tiers are superior to strict rankings. There is no way to predict that player X will do better than player Y with enough fidelity to rank them before the season starts. This is why I'm such a fan of using tiers to determine the relative projections of players. Realistically if two players are ranked right next to each other then there probably isn't enough of a difference to matter and you should be considering other qualities such as historic performance, opportunity, injury risk, competition, and upside.
  6. Don't be a homer, but it's okay to have multiple guys on the same team. Aside from bye weeks it's not that big of a deal. What you don't want to do is be predictable enough for someone else to exploit your tendencies. The other side of this is drafting players from your team's rival. Can you stomach having someone you hate on your team? If the value is there consider swallowing your pride. Moral victories are for losers.
  7. Don't be afraid to reach. The best experts in Fantasy Football average a 60% accuracy. Remember that the numbers are just guesses, and if you have a gut feeling there's nothing wrong with going with it. In the end it's your team and you should be happy with it.
  8. The less predictable a position, the later that position should be drafted. This means drafting kickers and DSTs very late unless your scoring rules are weird enough to require a special strategy. Unless your draft rules require that you fill out your roster then don't bother getting a kicker. Use that last pick on a total flyer and see if anything changes leading up to Week 1. Just don't forget to pick up a kicker off the WW before your first game.
  9. The maximum value you will get for your trade bait is the draft pick you just wasted, so don't even bother. Some people exercise a strategy of picking someone up with the express purpose of trading them immediately. Remember, the four QBs you cleverly picked up even though you didn't need them were passed over by everyone else. You just sacrificed a team need for a lottery ticket that isn't likely to pay off. This is a particularly egregious mistake in the top half of the draft. This is different from drafting a late round flyer and hoping they turn out to be a sleeper, which is sound draft strategy.
  10. You can lose your league in the draft, but you win it in the waiver wire. No matter how well or poorly you draft, that's only a part of the game. Once the draft is done the real game begins. Follow the waiver wire religiously, and don't be afraid to drop your late round scrubs for something more promising if you get more information. I'm less enthusiastic about preseason trades unless you have access to new information or you're fleecing a homer.
  11. Mock until you can draft in your sleep. Mock drafting is a fantastic resource. Not only is it fairly fun, but it also helps you see how players will be taken and understand trends. If you can get to the point where you can instantly see a reach or a steal then when the real draft happens you'll be far more prepared.
  12. Challenge your perspective. It is far too easy to rely on preconceived notions or preliminary assumptions when dealing with Fantasy Football. Constantly challenge your perceptions and seek out sources that disagree with you. Find data wherever you can and honestly assess it, even if it counters your original train of thought. At worst you'll have an even stronger understanding of things. At best you may discover you were wrong.

Teemu Pokemon posted:

If it's a 1 keeper league, the goal should just be to keep the best ADP bargain, or a top end stud like Brown or Johnson if you have one, and then just treat the draft and subsequent rankings as a redraft. Don't reach on young guys because it's a "keeper league" because it's not.

Also, as an aside, one keeper leagues are dumb and pointless and you should either do a full blown keeper/dynasty or just do a redraft. Tell your league to stop sucking

Spoeank posted:

DON'T 👏 DRAFT 👏 TIGHT 👏 ENDS 👏

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 30, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Slow draft? Slow draft.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Only suggestion is add the link to that rules post that is a work of art

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So did the NFL bring back the [D]oubtful status?

wait maybe it was [P]robable that's gone now

Football's been over for like three months so my brain has flushed all my football knowledge down the toilet and I have to re-learn everything in august

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Ironically, you forgot to mention Beersheets. Those things are too invaluable not to be in the OP.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Leperflesh posted:

So did the NFL bring back the [D]oubtful status?

wait maybe it was [P]robable that's gone now

Football's been over for like three months so my brain has flushed all my football knowledge down the toilet and I have to re-learn everything in august

[P] is gone.

Sataere posted:

Only suggestion is add the link to that rules post that is a work of art

Which post?

Forever_Peace posted:

Ironically, you forgot to mention Beersheets. Those things are too invaluable not to be in the OP.

I'll probably update the OP once I have them ready for 2017.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Good thread title

Spoeank posted:

Add to advice post tia

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
I'm excited about Perine ending up with Washington. I have the seventh pick in my dynasty league and I might be targeting him with it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

drizzle posted:

I'm excited about Perine ending up with Washington. I have the seventh pick in my dynasty league and I might be targeting him with it.

He seems like a fairly one dimensional player in a crowded backfield. What makes you think he's worth drafting?

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

What hosting site has the best mobile app? Been using Yahoo which was fine until last year where it got really buggy.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

ESPN's mobile app is 1500x better than ESPN's web client which is utter garbage and actually somehow worse than Yahoo (who is also crap but both are better than CBS)

Everything is poo, we all die, our decisions don't matter. Unless we choose CBS then we have, indeed, hosed up.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 30, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dkj posted:

What hosting site has the best mobile app? Been using Yahoo which was fine until last year where it got really buggy.

ESPN is my favorite, but I haven't tried any others. Suffice to say that ESPN has been good enough that I haven't cared to look elsewhere for years. The only other site I use is MFL.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Yahoo had a great app for maybe 6 months then they went and smeared it with poo poo and now it's terrible.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

*all of your teams disappear off the dashboard once every two weeks*

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

drizzle posted:

Well, just don't fall in love with him before seeing how the draft goes. Reaches happen. One of Mixon, Williams, Howard, or Cook could easily fall.

In the 2 QB dynasty league I'm in that has started drafting, Deshaun Watson went 1.01, Trubisky 1.05, and Mahomes 1.09. I started the day with no picks, but swooped in for Mixon at 1.06 and desperately tried to trade for Mike Williams at 1.12.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Teemu Pokemon posted:

*all of your teams disappear off the dashboard once every two weeks*

ESPN's app keeps logging me out constantly. It's fun!

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

He seems like a fairly one dimensional player in a crowded backfield. What makes you think he's worth drafting?

It's just as crowded as any backfield right now and it's not like there are any studs there. From what I hear his pass pro should be good enough to get him on the field if he can beat out kelly in camp and I don't think he's any more one-dimensional than anyone else on the roster anyway. And short strong heavy RBs are my favorite type of RBs too for some reason, just fun to watch.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

drizzle posted:

It's just as crowded as any backfield right now and it's not like there are any studs there. From what I hear his pass pro should be good enough to get him on the field if he can beat out kelly in camp and I don't think he's any more one-dimensional than anyone else on the roster anyway. And short strong heavy RBs are my favorite type of RBs too for some reason, just fun to watch.

NFL channel seems infatuated with him as well. I think I'll look at him as a late pickup for sure based on all the gushing they're doing, plus your comments.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Just saw he was Mayock's #5 RB. Could be interesting, but I have to imagine they're still going to be really pass-heavy in Washington.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Chris Thompson will keep catching passes, but it isn't like Rob Kelley will be hard to unseat as the early down guy.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
In my dynasty league I've got a classic "BPA vs Need" decision I may have to make at 1.3 of the rookie draft. I have a very good group of WRs and a good QB, but my RB situation is atrocious since neither Jones nor Furgeson seem to be panning out. The same guy has 1.1 and 1.2 and he's all but announced he's going RB/RB, so one of Fournette/Mixon/McCaffery and Corey Davis will be available at my pick.

If it's Fournette I've got no problem passing over Davis, but if it's Mixon or McCaffrey it gives me heartburn. I just think that Davis is a substantially better player who will be better long term. The issue if if I pass up on him I'll be stuck in round 2 drafting whoever falls to 2.5. I could get lucky and get Perine or Foreman, but they could easily be taken (RB talent is concentrated in this league; at least 7 teams have a real need for an RB) and have no legit options left.

So my question is, with the team below (which isn't in 'win now' mode but I think should be competitive with a good RB) would you pass over Davis for either Mixon (forget about character issues) or McCaffrey? The league is .5 ppr, 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex (RB/WR/TE), with a 19 player roster.

Team:
QB: Russell Wilson, Eli Manning
WR: Odell Beckham Jr, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Jamison Crowder, Josh Doctson, Devin Funchess, Tajae Sharpe, Kamar Aiken
TE: Tyler Eifert, Austin Hooper
RB: Carlos Hyde, Adrian Peterson, Paul Perkins, Terrance West, Bilal Powell, Matt Jones, Josh Furgeson

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
^^^ Draft on value, trade for need.

Veritek83 posted:

Just saw he was Mayock's #5 RB. Could be interesting, but I have to imagine they're still going to be really pass-heavy in Washington.

Keith Marshall might also be healthy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Also it's effectively a 5WR league so I wouldn't even worry about RB.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Also it's effectively a 5WR league so I wouldn't even worry about RB.

Yep. Go Davis happily.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Anyone starting up a brand new dynasty draft anytime soon? I've never tried dynasty but i've been dying to try it out and none of my RL friends are willing to try it.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Seems like I can finally drop Devin Smith in my dynasty league right? It's a 12 person, 30 player per team league so I'm sure there's some equally valuable trash available

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

Seems like I can finally drop Devin Smith in my dynasty league right? It's a 12 person, 30 player per team league so I'm sure there's some equally valuable trash available

Yeah. 30 players is pretty deep but he's an easy drop for another flyer.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

He also just tore his ACL again, so yeah, he's done :/

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

hey anybody ever hear of this Christine Michael guy who just got cut from the Packers? Seems pretty athletic could be a good sleeper pickup

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Forever_Peace posted:

hey anybody ever hear of this Christine Michael guy who just got cut from the Packers? Seems pretty athletic could be a good sleeper pickup

I drafted CMike last year, and you're right. He's a very good sleeper.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ben Nevis posted:

I drafted CMike last year, and you're right. He's a very good sleeper.

CMike was huge part of my team last year, but I managed to trade him for a total upgrade right before he fell off a cliff.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is a dynasty league doable on ESPN or Yahoo? Or is MFL the way to go? My redraft league is on Yahoo, so I'd like to keep both on the same website if possible. Nothing is set in stone regarding dynasty rules yet, but we are looking to start one up this year.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I literally laughed out loud when I got a news alert CMike got cut

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Spoeank posted:

I literally laughed out loud when I got a news alert CMike got cut

He tries really hard, he just can't cut it. Feel bad for him

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

VietCampo posted:

Anyone starting up a brand new dynasty draft anytime soon? I've never tried dynasty but i've been dying to try it out and none of my RL friends are willing to try it.

We have an open slot in the I Paid What for Who? dynasty money league, if you're interested! We had a guy bail out. The annual dues are $25 + 1/12th of the cost of the MFL league fees, and there's a cash payout for first through third place plus the winner of the consolation tournament bracket.

Here's the thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740832
Here's the league: http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2016/home/79286
Here's our rules: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UnTCMrEn7Wx5ofw_mG_ke_htdtVIY1LZWr907Cx8gn8/edit?usp=sharing
Here's what would be your team: http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2016/options?L=79286&O=07&F=0002

2016 player salaries are still listed, so all the salaries will be going up by 10%, you'll have an opportunity to drop players, and then we'll have our free agent & rookie draft shortly before the season begins.

e. I'll be honest, though, this team went 2-12 last year and needs serious rebuilding. But we have a salary cap system so if you dump garbage players and work hard during the year on the waiver wire there's no reason you couldn't turn it around in a year.

RCarr posted:

Is a dynasty league doable on ESPN or Yahoo? Or is MFL the way to go? My redraft league is on Yahoo, so I'd like to keep both on the same website if possible. Nothing is set in stone regarding dynasty rules yet, but we are looking to start one up this year.

We ran our dynasty league on ESPN the first year and then switched to MFL. It's possible to do it on Yahoo or ESPN, but their options for customization of your league are fairly limited. You cannot do things like taxi squads, trade draft picks for players, automatically adjust player salaries, etc. However they are free.

The cost for an MFL league if you sign up during the summer and defray the cost across all the owners is pretty minimal, though.

When setting up dynasty league rules I highly recommend being completely explicit and thorough. It can be a pain in the rear end and people will call you a nerd but anticipating and ruling on the key sources of friction will help a lot. It's more important to get it right with dynasty than it is with a normal redraft league for obvious reasons. Even more important if there's money involved.

The most critical things I'd say is making sure that people don't burn out, especially anyone with a losing team. Also make sure the one guy who was lucky enough to draft a rookie David Johnson doesn't forever dominate the league... e.g., escalate player salaries or have player contracts that end after 3-5 years or whatever you need to do to ensure there's gradual turnover of ownership. Make sure you have rules in place for how disputes will be handled, and don't succumb to the temptation to change rules mid-season.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 2, 2017

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Beer, this is what I was talking about.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

MFL is your best bet for dynasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

We have an open slot in the I Paid What for Who? dynasty money league, if you're interested! We had a guy bail out. The annual dues are $25 + 1/12th of the cost of the MFL league fees, and there's a cash payout for first through third place plus the winner of the consolation tournament bracket.

Here's the thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740832
Here's the league: http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2016/home/79286
Here's our rules: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UnTCMrEn7Wx5ofw_mG_ke_htdtVIY1LZWr907Cx8gn8/edit?usp=sharing
Here's what would be your team: http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2016/options?L=79286&O=07&F=0002

2016 player salaries are still listed, so all the salaries will be going up by 10%, you'll have an opportunity to drop players, and then we'll have our free agent & rookie draft shortly before the season begins.

e. I'll be honest, though, this team went 2-12 last year and needs serious rebuilding. But we have a salary cap system so if you dump garbage players and work hard during the year on the waiver wire there's no reason you couldn't turn it around in a year.

We ran our dynasty league on ESPN the first year and then switched to MFL. It's possible to do it on Yahoo or ESPN, but their options for customization of your league are fairly limited. You cannot do things like taxi squads, trade draft picks for players, automatically adjust player salaries, etc. However they are free.

The cost for an MFL league if you sign up during the summer and defray the cost across all the owners is pretty minimal, though.

When setting up dynasty league rules I highly recommend being completely explicit and thorough. It can be a pain in the rear end and people will call you a nerd but anticipating and ruling on the key sources of friction will help a lot. It's more important to get it right with dynasty than it is with a normal redraft league for obvious reasons. Even more important if there's money involved.

The most critical things I'd say is making sure that people don't burn out, especially anyone with a losing team. Also make sure the one guy who was lucky enough to draft a rookie David Johnson doesn't forever dominate the league... e.g., escalate player salaries or have player contracts that end after 3-5 years or whatever you need to do to ensure there's gradual turnover of ownership. Make sure you have rules in place for how disputes will be handled, and don't succumb to the temptation to change rules mid-season.

Mostly looking for a brand new start up atm, but i'd probably be happy to join closer to the season if it's still open and i haven't found one yet.

• Locked thread