Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

coronaball posted:

17.07 Jared Cook :siren:

This format makes him palatable. There will be weeks when he is my TE1. There will not be more than 4 of these weeks. They will be impossible to predict. And, most certainly, none of them will come back to back.

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Sanu was a great pick there

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
:siren: 24 Hour Timer Has Started :siren:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Drunk Nerds posted:

Sanu was a great pick there

Yeah he definitely shouldn't have gone as long as he did.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

1) Beer sets 24 hour timer
2) Beer's wife is on the clock
3) Beer's wife has time expire
4) Beer sleeps on couch

Please subscribe to my fan fiction.

I know she still has plenty of time, I just love the idea of Beer being in the dog house for fantasy football

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

18.07 #211 Jalen Richard, RB OAK

This guy looked great last year, and got decent amounts of starts and looks behind Latavius Murray. Now he's a journeyman behind Marshawn Lynch, who is old and might suck. If Lynch is crap, both Richard and Washington should get more carries... but Richard has proven he's also a capable catcher, and I believe he's blocking decently too. He's certainly not a lock for even a single big game this season, but I've had my eye on him and figured I could get him as a very late round pick as my RB5. He's got the added small bonus of not sharing a bye week with any of my other RBs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

19.06 #222 DALLAS COWBOYS

Whatever, DST #2. The cowboys might have a good defense or maybe not I dunno, but they have a good offense and I think that should help limit damage and give me a reasonably safe floor if my DST/1 (the patriots) isn't good on some random week.

Also: you guys aren't posting your pick thoughts any more, you're doing it wrong. Especially deep in the weeds of the nineteenth round, I wanna hear why you picked who you picked!

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
19th round: Jacquizz Rodgers

He might be the starter for weeks 1-3. He could be the starter for longer if Doug Martin is released. He might be a big zero. Good enough for the 19th round!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
15.08 - Terrance West
Danny Amendola is old and made of glass, and there's no guarantee that Kenneth Dixon will get the job once he's back from his four game suspension. In the fifteenth round this is a no brainer.

16.05 - Devin Funchess
One of the rules I love is to listen to bad news in the offseason, and Kelvin Benjamin has had plenty of bad news. Meanwhile Funchess is entering his third year and has a rejuvenated Cam Newton throwing again (we hope). This late in the draft this could be a major upside.

17.08 - Gerald Everett
The rookie TE (I know) in LA (YES I loving KNOW) has Jordan Reed potential. And given that the HC used to coach TEs including Jordan Reed this isn't the worst idea in the world. Plus I was a dumbass and picked two TEs with the same bye.

18.05 - Los Angeles Rams
If the offensive improves (it should) this defense should be scary.

19.08 - Christine Michael
THE AWAKENING.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

uhh yeah sorry

14.11 - Cole Beasley - Maybe has some sneaky big games if Dak keeps playing well

15.02 - Julius Thomas - Saw he's getting hype that he could be "a thing" again this year, so that's good enough for a TE2

16.11 - Shane Vereen - I don't buy the Giants relying that heavily on Perkins as a 3-down back, I think Vereen gets mixed in a bunch more this year

17.02 - Trevor Siemian - idk I kinda regret this pick but I wanted the security of having 3 QBs in case one goes down like it happened to Teddy Bwater on my squad last year

18.11 - Pittsburgh Steelers Defense - I really don't know anything about them this year, just picking defenses left that seem decent

19.02 - Cooper Kupp - Robert Woods isn't gonna be a superstar, Tavon Austin isn't consistent, and the Rams don't have anyone else known to throw to really

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
20.01 Jake Butt

I wasn't gonna let any of you guys get this butt.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
[14.09 Carson Palmer .
Thrilled to have this guy available by the time I was like , "oh, I guess I need two quarterbacks because I'm a dumb noob to best ball." Probably not going to top Brady often,

15.04 Houston Texans
I dunno man, they're the top defense and so I thought I'd go early. It's not because I forgot this was 20 rounds and not 15, SO DON'T THINK THAT

16.09 Dwayne "the Wayne" Allen
I own Gronk so this seemed better than the lottery tickets available

17.04 Ted Ginn, Jr.
He has Drew Brees throwing to him, so you know he's gonna have a few freak games with like 2-125-2. You universally know this in your hearts to be true

18.09DeAndre Washington
Third guy behind that line behind the aging Marshawn Lynch. He'll rip a few long TD runs and if Jalen Richard's number comes up Washington will be starting BEHIND THAT LINE

19.04Packers D
Needed something to compliment Houston's Defense. GB's going to be up a bunch in a few games and prob score a lot from the other team trying to catch up

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Dwayne "thereis no God. Existence is a joke," Allen

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Because I have been slacking.

14.02 Dion Lewis
Great fifth RB value for PPR. In a time share, but should have a few good games to make it worthwhile in best ball format.

15.11KCC DEF
Been a top fantasy defense for a couple years, with great special teams play. Defenses started going here and this was as good as any.

16.02Zach Miller
Was a great producer last year until he got hurt. Solid #2 TE in best ball.

17.11NYG DEF
Nice stacked defense. Lots of talent. Should be able to generate pressure and hopefully turnovers. I think they are gonna have some big, individual games.

18.02C.J. Fiedorowicz
I needed a third TE and he felt like the safest option.

19.11CHI DEF
Everyone wondering why the Bears didn't address defense much in free agency is ignoring what they did the year prior. There is a lot of young depth being developed and I am banking on Vic Fangio remaining one of the top defensive coordinators in the league. Homer pick

20.02Mike Glennon
Third quarterback. Gonna be a starter. Just in case Mariota and Tannehill die. Will probably need to air it out a lot.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/by_JBH/status/875502853661392897

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
17.10 Jimmy Garoppolo
It's a longshot but I wasn't fully satisfied with my QBs. I mean Brady has his pact with the devil so it's doubtful Jimmy G starts any games. But if he does, he could put up elite QB1 numbers in that system. The Pats offense is loaded and he can run that system with no limitations.

18.03 Oakland Raiders
I immediately regret this decision.

19.10 Jerick McKinnon
He is now the "useful vet on passing downs" for the Vikings or at least he has the most experience with their offense. Also currently splitting first team reps with Dalvin Cook because Murray is still recovering from offseason ankle surgery. I'm not a believer in Murray and think Cook will pressure him for early down work and McKinnon will play the biggest role on passing downs.

20.03 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Cheap option in the 20th round but they're still a young defense that had decent streaming value last year. Think the unit can take a step forward this season.

Tiptoes fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 16, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

20.01 #235 CIN Bengals
I really hemmed and hawed about whether I should get a third defense, especially given the remaining pickings are slim. But the Bengals have their cadre of douchebag cheaters led by Burfict and Pacman who, when they aren't being suspended, do tend to make plays. What sealed it was when I looked at my byes: my first two D/STs are the Cowboys and the Patriots, who have bye weeks in week 6 and 9, respectively. The Bengals are playing the Bills week 6, and the Jaguars week 9. I like those matchup options!

Of course, the Pats are playing the Jets week 6, and the Cowboys are playing the Chiefs week 9, so I probably won't need those CIN scores, but it's nice to have the backup.

As my final pick though, I was kind of torn. I could have shored up my weak TE crew, or taken a super longshot pick or even a joke pick. Disappointing to miss out on one of those.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I feel like being three deep at QB, TE and DEF is essential to succeeding in best ball format. I think my strategy ended up being flawed throughout, because I always felt like I was chasing with certain picks. I hate when I feel like I'm the last guy grabbing players on a positional run.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Tiptoes posted:

18.03 Oakland Raiders
I immediately regret this decision.

Over the back half last year they weren't bad. Maybe they were finally putting it together?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I MISSED THIS!!! 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

I wasn't subscribed to the new fantasy football thread 😭😭

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

89 posted:

I MISSED THIS!!! 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

I wasn't subscribed to the new fantasy football thread 😭😭

good news, there's still like 3 months till the season starts so we can probably get another slow draft in haha

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah there were two last year and there's no reason not to have more if anyone wants them. It takes like 20 minutes or something to set one up in MFL and they're free.

When the last handful of picks are done, I'm planning to do a "draft grade" thing where I poo poo all over your picks judge the teams on relative merit based on my own lovely football opinions, and if anyone else wants to do that I think it'd be cool and good.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah there were two last year and there's no reason not to have more if anyone wants them. It takes like 20 minutes or something to set one up in MFL and they're free.

When the last handful of picks are done, I'm planning to do a "draft grade" thing where I poo poo all over your picks judge the teams on relative merit based on my own lovely football opinions, and if anyone else wants to do that I think it'd be cool and good.

One thing I like, if you're looking for ideas, is where the draft grader asks each team a question or two about a decision/plan they've made. If you send me questions, I will answer them

20.09 Tyler Higbee
I needed someone to round out my TEs (Gronk and Allen). Higbee is on the Rams, so there will be a desperate need for a safety valve

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

wonder how that 3 TE / 1 defense strategy is gonna work out for Risquebarber and coronaball

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Veritek83 posted:

1.01-David Johnson- He and LeVeon Bell are essentially the only two RBs I'll draft in the first in .5 PPR or PPR. Gave the slight edge to DJ as he's got the better injury/suspension track record.

2.12- Doug Baldwin- Of the remaining WRs at this point, Baldwin's coming off of two back to back 1000 yard seasons. While there's potential for a drop off after signing a big extension, I wouldn't be shocked if he splits the TD difference between his '15 and '16 seasons and puts up another top 10 performance.

3.01-Alshon Jeffery- Change of scenery and some offensive stability will hopefully make for a bounceback season for Jeffery in Philly. I feel like he's going to have some monster market share in a forgettable receiving corps.

4.12- Jordan Reed- As always, this is risky and probably dumb, but if he's healthy he should be the number 1 target in Washington. Sure, Pryor is going to be a good addition and Doctson seems poised to have a really nice sophomore season assuming his healthy cooperates, but that offense lost 214 targets when Garcon and Jackson left- I think a healthy Reed dominates the position this year.

5.01- Tevin Coleman- this probably won't work out for me, but Coleman occupies a relatively niche position of being a startable RB/Flex in PPR and also being in line for a major uptick in touches if the lead back gets hurt. In retrospect I should have gone with someone more consistent or reliable at RB here, but c'est la vie.

6.12- Russell Wilson- I hate Russell Wilson, the NFL player/lifestyle brand. As a fantasy QB though, he's not too bad. It looks like he's healthy and that line has improved(could it have gotten worse?), so I'm hoping for big things.

7.01- Hunter Henry- Taking two TEs in the first seven rounds feels really gross, but in best ball it could be worth it. That said, I think I boxed myself in by taking Reed so early- I felt like I needed to get someone else in case of scrambled egg brains. Henry should look to really eat this year in as the starting TE as Gates heads towards retirement.

8.12- Pierre Garcon- Garcon had 251 targets in two seasons in a Kyle Shanahan offense in DC. I'm not entirely sure who he'll be competing for targets with in San Francisco, but I'd be shocked if he doesn't see 100+. What else are they gonna do?

9.01- Rishard Matthews- Coming off a career year. He's likely to see a slight downtick in targets and TD rate with the Titans drafting Corey Davis, but getting a guy who could flirt with 1000 yards in the 9th seems like good value.

Veritek83 posted:

10.12- Blake Bortles Best ball? More like Bort ball. I'm thinking we see something a bit closer to his 2015 than his 2016 this year. For my 2nd QB I'm content to go with that upside.

11.01- Kenneth Dixon Post suspension, I think he's going to beat out West and Woodhead for a majority share of carries in Baltimore. Solid value at the top of the eleventh, IMO.

12.12- Kevin White- God I hope he's finally healthy. Yet another situational WR pick.

13.01- Thomas Rawls- Oh poo poo, I need some more RBs I guess. While Rawls' situation is murky at best, I sure as hell don't trust Eddie Lacy to suddenly have his act together.

14.12- Brian Hoyer- A competent backup QB who gets to start in a Shanahan offense. Can't imagine he's good this year, but I'm not looking for good- just a couple of overperformances should be enough.

15.01- Charles Sims- With Martin suspended it remains to be seen who'll take the majority of the RB workload in the three games, but even once Martin's back, Sims should have value in PPR on passing downs.

16.12- James Conor- Questions about Bell's workload, his mini-camp "holdout," his injury history and his love of weed all make Conor one of the more interesting backups in the league. I definitely don't want Bell to get hurt, but I'm ready if he does.

17.01- Panthers D/ST- about time to take one of these I guess

18.12- Malcolm Mitchell- I love taking Patriots players in best ball. Kinda surprised Mitchell fell all the way to here.

19.01- Jags D/ST- should be way improved this year

20.01- Kenny Golladay- was listening to JJ Zachariason's podcast while I was walking my dog this afternoon. People are plugging Golladay in as WR3 in Detroit, with upside, so yes, I'l take that in the 20th.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Varg posted:

wonder how that 3 TE / 1 defense strategy is gonna work out for Risquebarber and coronaball

Bah, I should have taken a second defense over Deshone Kaiser. Slow draft fatigue.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I can ask MY WIFE what she was thinking.

I already regret my draft.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I already regret my draft.

Ah, that familiar feeling that starts around this time every year. Where would we be without it?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I'm fine with my draft, but I am nervous about my RB health/depth. Would feel better with one more.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
I'm just hoping i make it to week 4 with at least half my RB's still alive.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I was happy with the Doug Martin value at the time, but the more I hear about how much he's turned a corner, the more I feel like he's going to bust hard.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Thanks a bunch for running this, Beer. It really scratched thst business season itch for me

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Overall I'm... okay on my draft. I absolutely made some mistakes that I regret, but other picks I'm pretty pleased with. In spite of spending a bunch of early draft capital on RBs they aren't terribly exciting and I feel like I could have gone for some even better WR picks.

QB: Brees, Stafford
RB: Hyde, Ingram, Anderson, Lacy, West, Michael
WR: Evans, Cooper, Thomas, Britt, Ross, Enunwa, Funchess
TE: Rudolph, James, Everett
DST: Rams, Chargers

My biggest fuckup was drafting Jesse James; his ADP is far lower and Pittsburgh's offense is far too spread for him to really be of any worth. Plus I screwed up and picked two players with the same bye, meaning I had to take a third TE instead of a third DST.

WR I'm extremely strong on, especially with late round gems like Enunwa and Funchess. That said I would still like to have my Hyde pick back; I think I would have been happier with Allen in that spot.

LOL Christine Michael. My RBs are incredibly risky, and I could easily have nobody within a few weeks based on how things work out (they won't). Pretty happy with the late round pickup of West though. I would've been far stronger getting Martin in the 9th.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK as promised, I'mma grade everyone's drafts. I've never graded drafts before and I have dumb opinions so please nobody take this seriously.

Here's all the images if anyone else wants to reuse them for your own grades: http://imgur.com/a/0v1b4

Anvil of Crom/Leperflesh

QBs: A-
I drafted QBs early, and got two excellent ones with Rodgers and Carr. Wentz is a decent third QB/backup option with upside. Wetz shares a bye with Carr week 10, when Rodgers is playing the Bears at Soldier - a division rivalry matchup against a really bad team ought to mean decent numbers for Rodgers, but it's still a week with no backup QB if he's injured or something. This, and the relatively high amounts of draft equity spent to pick these guys up, are the only reasons I knocked it down from A to A-.

RBs: C+
This group is riding on a lot of question marks. Miller was overworked last year and the Texans now have help at RB. Forte is old and expected to give way to Powell. Murray is on a new team and is not a star anyway, despite his numbers last year. Kelley has competition and is a Redskin. Richard is purely for insurance. And this is just five RBs, where most teams went six deep. Overall I suspect out of the top four, at least two should have decent seasons, but there's no superstar in this mix. A key injury or two could pose problems. On the other hand, there are no overlapping bye weeks, so this team should still at least put up positive numbers at the two mandatory RB positions every week.

WRs: B
Julio Jones is a superstar who, unless he gets hurt, can be counted on for a top-five WR finish, befitting his fifth overall pick spot. Sanu is a good backup option on the same team if he does get hurt. Crabtree is a strong WR2 on a team anticipated to make a deep playoff run, and he tends to get more volume than Amari Cooper on that offense. Stills and Cobb are both reasonable shots at occasional good weekly numbers, and the injured Williams is a question mark/longshot. What downgrades this group to a mere B are the lack of high-upside rookies other than Williams, and with only six WRs, the flex spot could prove to be a problem some weeks. On the other hand, only Sanu and Jones share a bye week, so barring injuries, there should still be decent numbers every week.

TEs: C-
I took Njoku too early, and Doyle is unlikely to stand out at the position weekly. Jason Witten should have a solid year, but even with three guys at TE, this group doesn't really impress. The overdrafting of Njoku depresses the score. No bye week conflicts means TE should at least not be a terrible drain on the team's weekly performance, but it would have been better to draft two better TEs and hand the extra roster slot back to the RBs or WRs.

D/STs: B+
Patriots and Cowboys should both have decent seasons, and the Bengals may occasionally impress when the thugs the team employs on defense get away with their dirty hits and rack up some high sack numbers. Three D/STs might seem like too many, especially since Cincinnati and the Cowboys share a bye week, but the Pats face the Jets week 6 so I'm not concerned there. I also think most teams going with two or even just one D/ST are excessively discounting the position. D/STs are very random, and even a really good team will have a few bad weeks every season when they manage to get scored on a bit or fail to generate sacks or whatever. A third D/ST is worth more, I feel, than a seventh WR or a sixth RB.

OVERALL GRADE: B
I'm pretty pleased with this team overall. I think it's well balanced, and I avoided the trap I fell into last year of drafting too many rookies. I also paid close attention to bye weeks, and limited how many injured/injury prone guys I picked up. Where the team fails, I think, is that it's not ambitious enough... I expect to finish in the top six, but I don't think I have a decent shot at the winning position, due to a lack of lottery tickets that could hit big. This is a safe, solid fantasy team that may wind up being boringly consistent.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 20, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm just going in alphabetical order here, so... apologies in advance to Beer's Wife, I'm not trying to pick on you. But your team is... not great.

Beer's Wife

QBs: C-
Winston is projected to have a great year, and Alex Smith has generally been a solid backup option. However, Goff was awful last year and could well lose his job, and Kansas City has clearly drafted a man they hope to replace Smith, possibly before the end of the season. This team could wind up depending entirely on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' offensive power to generate points at the QB position. On the other hand, perhaps Goff's sophomore year and a change in coaching will show that he's actually able to perform, and perhaps Alex Smith will be allowed to play out the season. There's no bye week overlaps. So I think this is a risky group that could tank the team, but with limited upside of maybe being OK.

RBs: C
I'm really not sure what's going on here. We have two rookies in Kamara and Cook, a couple of backups who might not play much in Abdullah and Bio Bernard, Derrick Henry who is really just a handcuff for DeMarco Murray, and the best of the bunch is Darren Sproles, an old man whose use in the passing game is not enough to make up for his low TD production. Plus the Eagles just grabbed LeGarrette Blount. The best I can say for this bunch is that rookie Dalvin Cook could possibly outshine Latavius Murray (who has a bum ankle) and maybe be a big star, althoug I think much more likely that the Vikes have a RBC in which the rookie Cook spends a lot of time learning and generally being kept in reserve. Alvin Kamara has no chance at even that sort of usage, behind Mark Ingram and Adrian Peterson. This is a full crew of six RBs with no bye week overlaps, but I can't give a lot of credit for that given how many of these guys could be benched on any given week.

WRs: A-
This team really shines at the WR position, with TY Hilton, AJ Green, DeVante Parker, and Sterling Shepard all in good positions to have big years. Keenan Allen is recovering from a lost year but if he's healthy he's another WR1. Even this team's WR6, Allen Hurns, is a solid choice, and Chris Godwin on Tampa Bay could even contribute. Actually though, Godwin is why I have to give this group a -. Given the strength of the top six WRs, this team did not need a seventh pick, and it is suffering at every other position. While potentially dominating the WR/WR/Flex positions most weeks, Beer's Wife is goign to trail or even have zeros at other positions with regularity. Instead of drafting Chris Godwin in the 18th round, taking a third TE or D/ST might have been an idea; or better, leave off one of those six WR1 players earlier in the draft to grab a decent RB.

TEs: D
Here we have Zach Ertz, who should be fine, and Evan Engram, rookie TE for the New York Giants. Despite his first round pick, we have established that rookie tight ends rarely perform... and the Giants have Will Tye, a known factor, on a team that does not feature big TE play in any case. Engram will need to be taught to block on lots of passing downs while Odell Beckham, Brandon Marshall, Sterling Shepard, Roger Lewis, etc. suck up big passing plays. So, really this is Zach Ertz with nothing much behind him. Ertz will likely get 800 yards and maybe two to five TDs, but there will be weeks when he puts up a low score, and on those weeks, Beer's Wife will have a low score at TE. Week 10 when Ertz is on bye the Giants face the Niners, a matchup I don't think likely to leave Eli Manning desperate for his checkdown TE option, so that could be a zero.

D/STs: B
The seahawks are fine and the bills are fine. Unfortunately, they share a week 6 bye, so that'll be a goosegg that week. Going with two decent to very good D/STs is a valid choice, but the shared bye week is just a mistake that knocks a letter off the grade.

OVERALL GRADE: C
This team's monster WR crew will not be enough to overcome its weaknesses at most other positions. It has a few rookies, but mostly not with a ton of upside/lottery ticket potential, with the possible exception of Dalvin Cook. I doubt he's the next Zeke Elliot, but... maybe? I don't think it's enough. The team went too heavy on star WRs and failed to put together a roster that could compete across the board.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Corn Elder Thing/Veritek83

QBs: A-
Russel Wilson is a star even in a year when his OL is terrible. It can't possibly get worse there, but of course, he could get injured, but it's still a really solid good pick. Blake Bortles actually put up nearly as many points as Wilson last year; it comes from fun slinging the ball in a lot of behind games, but that still counts. And Bryan Hoyer's job in SF is to manage a rebuilding offense; not likely to be a standout guy, but he has at least a chance of a couple of good games. He also is probably going to finish the season: Matt Barkley is not going to beat out Hoyer for the job, and it seems very doubtful that third round pick C.J. Beathard could maybe somehow be a diamond in the rough. So, you've got a great QB1, a solid QB2, and a reasonably safe QB3. A good set.

RBs: B+
David Johnson is a superstar who, barring injury, can carry a team to a championship. What this team needs, though, is a good RB2 to fill out that slot, and all of the candidates are a bit lacking: Tevin Coleman is great, but in a solid RBC that limits his upside unless Devonta Freeman gets hurt; Thomas Rawls, Charles Sims, and Kenneth Dixon are all backup guys, and Dixon will miss four games due to a drugs suspension. Yes, Rawls also counts as a backup, because Seattle grabbed Eddie Lacy and they also like their C.J. Prosise, even if Rawls has shown some great stuff on occasion. He has yet to play out a full season. I think the hope here is that Lacy gets fat, Prosise gets hurt, and Rawls stays healthy: those are all plausible outcomes, which would put Rawls into RB1 numbers, so the possibility is surely there. Veritek83 rounds out his picks with James Conner, rookie third round pick for the Steelers. Unfortunately for Conner, the Steelers have Le'Veon Bell, and if Bell gets hurt, it's unlikely the team is goign to just give their rookie RB all the snaps. So he's another backup without the star upside potential of a Zeke Elliot. Overall this is a solid crew with an every-week monster at RB1, and a slew of guys at least one of which should manage ok RB2 numbers most weeks, but to get there cost six roster slots. One more small boost: none of thes guys share bye weeks.

Corn Elder Thing's premiere WR is Doug Baldwin, a solid option in Seattle whose quite likely to put together his third 1000+ yard season. He scored 14 TDs in 2015, but only 7 last year: that sounds like a guy who is due to "upwardly regress" towards a mean of 10 TDs. Russell Wilson somehow manages to throw downfield even when he's scrambling, and as mentioned earlier, maybe his OL will get marginally better this year. So I really like this pick. The rest of the crew is more questionable. Rishard Matthews, Pierre Garcon, and Alshon Jeffery are all guys with talent and potential, but no guarantee. Matthews is WR3ish in Tennesee, Garcon is a niner getting thrown to by Brian Hoyer, and Alshon Jeffery is on a new team trying to claim targets from Jordan Matthews. Of the three, I like Jeffery's chances best: he's proven he can have a 1000+ yard season even in Chicago; if he can catch what Carson Wentz is chucking, he could be the WR2 that Veritek is looking for. The rest of this crew is unimpressive: Kevin White is a WR2 on a team with Mike Glennon or maybe Mark Sanchez or perhaps Mitchell Trubisky at QB, and he got a whole 19 catches his rookie year. He's a super dark horse candidate for meaningful production. And Golladay is a WR3 candidate in Detroit, who I think could be a great WR, but I doubt is going to outshine Golden Tate or Marvin Jones in his rookie year. All told, this WR crew reminds me of the RB crew: a star, a bunch of decent to good picks, a lot of roster slots spent, a decent spread across bye weeks, but given what's here, I'd have not bothered with Kevin White.

TEs: B
Jordan Reed is an A, unless he gets his brain scrambled some more, which seems almost inevitable, at which point he turns into an F. This is the Jordan Reed enigma. I'm gonna go with him being an A for now, and paired with Hunter Henry who is very solid and probably going to be giving some good weeks, this would be a great TE set. Two As make an A, right? Well, no, because Jordan Reed will probably die, and then there's nobody but Henry at TE. I'm in the camp that says grab Jordan Reed if you can, but I think that choice forces you to take a third TE. Without it, I have to bump this grade down a letter.

The Panthers are a fine pick, but not a guarantee. The Jaguars... the Jaguars? Really? OK yes, they beefed up the D this year, but they always do, right? Maybe I'm out of the loop but I just don't think they can be relied upon. I think it's OK to grab them in best ball format anyway, because maybe they'll get a ton of sacks a few times a year, but I suspect with these two D/STs there are going to be some weeks when they both do badly.

OVERALL GRADE: A-
This is a pretty solid fantasy football team. I did a lot of nitpicking, but this is a team with no major holes; a great QB1, RB1, WR1, TE1 set, a bunch of guys who should turn in decent to quite good performances several times over the year, and no positions with gaping holes. If luck holds out, Corn Elder Thing could contend for the championship. If Reed dies, Coleman doesn't get used to the fullest, or Jeffery doesn't work out, it could slide back in the pack. I think it's more or less guaranteed a top 6 finish though, and a top 6 team with significant upside potential is a team you have to be pretty happy with.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DICKS DICKS DICKS etc./Risquebarber

QBs: D+
Hoo boy. Andy Luck is a lottery ticket at this point, right? Once the golden boy who was going to save the world, we've now seen that Luck is no guarantee; he has tons of potential, but the Colts are often bad and sometimes terrible, and Luck is coming off shoulder surgery. As a QB1 he's a gamble, basically, and Risquebarber has backed him up with not one but two rookies: Patrick Mahomes, a man who Kansas City can afford to develop for at least a full year behind Alex Smith if they want (and they probably want)... and Deshaun Watson, who Texas might well decide to develop for a full year behind Tom Savage. Either of these guys has a shot at starting, and both are on teams where if they do start, they could score some points... but it's just as likely that neither one starts, and that makes this three increasinly dangerous gambles at QB slots. To me that's the worst sin: spending three draft slots on QBs and not winding up with a single solid backup guy who can give the team a safe floor.

Here is a team with no certain RB1. The best guy of the bunch is Todd Gurley, a man on a rebuilding team with new coaching who maybe could be great, but maybe he's just merely good. Bilal Powell is supposedly eclipsing ageing Matt Forte, and he's shown he's got the chops to do it, but while Forte hangs on, Powell can't hope to put together a 1000 yard season. He gets some upside from passing work, but loses it to the tendency to use Forte (or maybe someon else) for goal-line work. Next up is Theo Riddick, coming off wrist surgeries to probably just back up Ameer Abdullah, with Matt Asiata now a Lion possibly for goal line work. I mean, maybe? But probably Riddick is still a RB2 this year with little TD potential and unlikely to break 500 yards. C.J. Prosise will get some touches in Seattle, but that situation is shaping up to be a comittee and Thomas Rawls is too good for Prosise to really steal all of his carries. I think we're looking at a hot hand thing there. Finally we have Devontae booker, who probably shouldn't even be owned unless you're convinced Jamaal Charles is actually done (which maybe he is, yeah), and rookie D'Onta Foreman, who could well beat out Alfred Blue for the RB2 job in Texas, but that's not guaranteed and that's second fiddle to Lamar Miller. There's only one overlap at bye week and it's not an important one (Riddick and Foreman), so I think what we have here are some high-upside gambles with Powell and Gurley, some low-upside gambles with Prosise and Riddick, and some longshots with Foreman and Booker. There's no safe pick in the bunch, and that's not a good way to spend all six of your RB picks. I would have liked to see a solid safe RB1 choice mixed in with all the backups and risky plays.

Seven WRs including OBJ and Brandin Cooks as solid WR1 and 2 choices. Cooks is a Patriot now but he should still be featured. Corey Coleman and Tyler Lockett should both be solid, if unreliable, WR2 guys who will have a few big score weeks. Josh Doctson lost his rookie year to recovering from injury, but there's lots of upside potential there if he's as good as his draft spot suggested. Then there's a couple of rookies, Corey Davis and JuJu Smith-Schuster. Davis may be the WR2 in Tennesee, unless Tajae Sharpe or Rishard Matthews are, so his actual role isn't clear yet but there's a chance he shines. Smith-Schuster has maybe just as tough competition but a better WR, but he's basically the same deal: maybe he'll be the slot guy or maybe Eli Rogers beats him and he is a benchwarmer. All told though I like this set of WRs with one drawback; two have week 8 byes, and three week 9; and there's seven of them, while RB, QB, and D/ST are all weak.

Travis Kelce is as sure of a thing at TE as you can get; even better than Gronk in terms of injury risk vs. on-field potential. Charles Clay is a perfectly good TE2 to own, and taking a third TE just in case is a good idea for this oft-injured position. Adam Shaheen is a rookie in Chicago, though, and behind both Zach Miller and Dion Sims. He just hasn't got the lottery ticket potential given his situation, so why spend the slot? I'd give Risquebarber an A if he'd grabbed a veteran option like a Will Tye or even an Antonio Gates instead: worse, Risque drafted Shaheen before Clay, in the 19th round.

D/STs: C
The cardinals are a very good defense. But there's only the one D/ST on this team, which is... not good. It'll be a zero on week 8, and there will surely be other poor showings, and the free slot was used, presumably, on one of the several redundant not-great RBs, the extra lottery ticket QB, or the extra rookie third string Chicago tight end.

This is a team that has weaknesses sufficient to overcome its strengths. If Risquebarber is lucky, he could crack the top six, but in my judgement he's got zero chance at a win. The strongest spots are at WR and TE, but a weak QB corps and a missing D/ST sabotages the team, and the lackluster RB set is unlikely to boost the team into contention.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dream of Crabtree-Fournett-Cation/Drunk Nerds

QBs: A
Tom Brady and Carson Palmer are a stellar 1-2 punch. Palmer isn't too old to produce yet, and Brady is clearly still in his prime. They're both reliable veteran top players who throw a lot of touchdowns and not a lot of interceptions, and Drunk Nerds helps himself out tremendously by locking up his QB production with just two players. During Brady's bye week 9, Arizona plays the rebuilding 49ers, and during Arizona's week 8 bye, the Pats play the Chargers, not an especially scary matchup.

RBs: A-
Le'Veon Bell and Jay Ajayi are two excellent choices for RB1s. If they stay healthy, this is a dangerous crew! My problem with this position is the quality of the other guys: Drunk Nerds has four RBs backing up his stars, and none of them are guaranteed play on any given week. Kareem Hunt is behind Ware and West; with Charles gone, the Chiefs have drafted for the future, but Hunt's not guaranteed play time this year and he's only a third-rounder, so he's not there to take over. Paul Perkins is supposed to be NYG's RB1, but he has less than 500 yards, 15 receptions, and zero TDs his rookie year. He is a gamble, basically, and the Giants can lean on Shane Vereen if he doesn't work out. DeAndre Washington is RB3 in a committee in Oakland, and while he's solid and gets some goal line work, Marshawn Lynch could take 100% of Washington's touches this year, potentially. It's a gamble with not a lot of upside; if Lynch is actually broken, Jalen Rishard is RB1. Finally, Jamaal Williams is two-down guy with rookie competition who will be behind Ty Montgomery... again, there's potential there, but it's not a guarantee. All that said: Bell and Ajayi are great, and if even one of these four guys works out, this is a decent RB corps. The shared bye weeks aren't a big deal since they're only between the gambles/RB2 guys.

WRs: B+
This large crew of 7 WRs lacks a solid star at WR1. Understandable given the QB and RB investments; Drunk Nerds has instead grabbed at least four solid options with upside in Ginn Jr, Matthews, Nelson, and Snead, and Martavis Bryant might also have a role. Donte Moncrief is also a good guy if he stays healthy: in 2015 he had 733 yards and 6 TDs. So, despite not having a star WR, this is a pretty good draft strategy at WR: on any given week, there's at least four or five guys with a chance at good numbers. Ginn and Snead share a by eweek but that's still pretty diversified.

TEs: A-
Gronk is Gronk. If he stays healthy, he wins leagues. Drunk Nerds wisely backed him up with his own handcuff, Dwayne Allen, a man who has proven he can also catch the ball; and Tyler Higbee is a reasonable choice for a backup I guess? Week 9 he plays @ the new york giants and that might be the only time he gets used... I don't love this pick and he's the - on the A rating, though, because he's only caught 11 NFL regular season passes in his rookie year and he's being thrown to by Jared Goff. For a round 20 draft pick I guess he's the best that was left, but even there I'm not sure this completely unproven guy is worth it.

Packers and Texans, sure whatever. They're both decent to very good, they don't share a bye week, and I'm OK with there not being a third D/ST given the quality of these two.

OVERALL GRADE: A
On balance, I love this team. It has solid star performers at every position save WR, and the WR crew is diversified and interesting and large enough that it has a real shot at producing league-winning points too. I easily project a top-6 finish with a top-3 very likely, and a win is definitely a possibility. Drunk Nerds had a great draft and should be quite pleased with the results.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fantasy Fartball/Tiptoes

QBs: B-
Matt Ryan is a very good choice for QB1. All the pundits are expecting a regression this year, but the only reason to expact that is the loss of Kyle Shanahabanana at OC. The rest of the team is intact, and it's a drat good team. Matt Ryan isn't too old yet, he still has all kinds of weapons, and even if he modestly underperforms his points last year... well, he put up 323 points last year, he'll be fine. However. Sam Bradford might not play out the season, depending on whether a recovered Teddy Bridgewater can earn his job back - and I believe he could. At least the chance of that happening means Tiptoes should have drafted a solid safe pick for QB3. Instead, he went with Jimmy Garoppolo for some reason. Perhaps anticipating a trade? OK, as a very long shot lottery ticket that'd be OK, but as the option if Sam Bradford doesn't keep his job, this is just a wasted pick. There are at least a handful of starting QBs left on the board, there's not really any excuse for drafting the QB2 in New England. I still gave Tiptoes a B- here, but it's entirely on the strength of Matt Ryan. The rest of this QB roster is a disaster.

RBs: B
Devonta Freeman and Frank Gore are a great 1-2 punch, and Chris Tompson is a solid RB3 choice despite the various questions about Washington's RB crew this year. Rob Kelley is I think the guy for sure, but Thompson has proven himself and will have three to six games where he scores a TD or two, at least. Jerick McKinnon is an insurance policy: I don't think he plays much unless Latavius Murray sucks, but I think he always plays at least a little and Dalvin Cook could also be a bust so there's real upside. Samaje Perine is reportedly "challenging Rob Kelley" for early down work: I do not believe it. I think he'll make the team, and get work, especially if he proves valuable on special teams, but this fourth round rookie is not going to knock off two veterans ahead of him to take the RB1 job. Joe Mixon is in a similar boat: He's behind Gio Bernard and Jeremy Hill, but a round 2 pick rookie who at least has a shot, according to talking heads, of being an RB1. Again, I'm skeptical: everyone hopes for a Zeke Elliot, but almost nobody turns out to be a Zeke Elliot. Still: this are lottery ticket guys with a ton of upside potential, which is a great way to back up some reliable star players. One minor problem, though: the two washington players share a bye with Freeman, leaving this team weak in Week 5, when Frank Gore matches up against the 9ers. So he should be OK, but Tiptoes has to hope either McKinnon or Mixon have good games that week as well.

WRs: A-
This 7-man WR set has real star power with Dez Bryant, Emmanuel Sanders, and DeSean Jackson all on the team. Sammy Watkins' foot might be fixed too, and if so, he's another great WR2/3 guy to own. Tyrell Williams faces competition from Keenan Allen's return from a knee injury, but he'll still be a solid guy to own. Actually my ownly complaints here are the bothering to roster Robert Woods and Curtis Samuel, given the rest of the roster. Woods is a Ram, and he's never broken 700 yards. On a weaker WR team, he'd be a reasonable choice of lottery ticket with upside, but on this team, he feels like a waste of a roster spot. And Curtis Samuel is a rookie in Carolina; depsite his second round spot, I doubt he's going to outshine K-Benj or Devin Funchess or high-volume target Greg Olsen. So again, not a horrible choice, but feels like a wasted slot on this roster.

Martellus Bennet is a solid veteran TE going to a solid veteran QB who knows what to do with him. He'll get points. Cameron Brate has competition from a rookie, but you can't ignore his 8 touchdowns last year; he should be fine and might be really good again. I'd feel better about this teams' TE position if it had a third one rostered; I think Tiptoes could have afforded one of his WR slots, or definitely could have skipped on Jimmy Garoppolo to get another backup.

Neither the Raiders nor the Bucs blow me away as picks. The Raiders are probably inconsistent: sometimes excellent, sometimes they give up points. Similar story for the Bucs, but down one tier. It's another place where Tiptoes could have used a spare slot to ensure more consistent points production year-round, but I can't really complain much about the choices.

OVERALL GRADE: B+
This team seems fine? The star-studded WR cast plus Matt Ryan have at leat the potential to push the team to the top... maybe so do the RBs. There were a few missteps though, and this team has the potential to underperform badly at QB and D/ST, and to merely be good but not great at RB and TE. I suspect Tiptoes is generally happy with his draft, and I would be too, but there were a couple of missed opportunities that smart a bit, too.

OK that's it for tonight, I'll do the rest tomorrow.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

DICKS DICKS DICKS etc./Risquebarber

QBs: D+
Hoo boy. Andy Luck is a lottery ticket at this point, right? Once the golden boy who was going to save the world, we've now seen that Luck is no guarantee; he has tons of potential, but the Colts are often bad and sometimes terrible, and Luck is coming off shoulder surgery. As a QB1 he's a gamble, basically, and Risquebarber has backed him up with not one but two rookies: Patrick Mahomes, a man who Kansas City can afford to develop for at least a full year behind Alex Smith if they want (and they probably want)... and Deshaun Watson, who Texas might well decide to develop for a full year behind Tom Savage. Either of these guys has a shot at starting, and both are on teams where if they do start, they could score some points... but it's just as likely that neither one starts, and that makes this three increasinly dangerous gambles at QB slots. To me that's the worst sin: spending three draft slots on QBs and not winding up with a single solid backup guy who can give the team a safe floor.

Here is a team with no certain RB1. The best guy of the bunch is Todd Gurley, a man on a rebuilding team with new coaching who maybe could be great, but maybe he's just merely good. Bilal Powell is supposedly eclipsing ageing Matt Forte, and he's shown he's got the chops to do it, but while Forte hangs on, Powell can't hope to put together a 1000 yard season. He gets some upside from passing work, but loses it to the tendency to use Forte (or maybe someon else) for goal-line work. Next up is Theo Riddick, coming off wrist surgeries to probably just back up Ameer Abdullah, with Matt Asiata now a Lion possibly for goal line work. I mean, maybe? But probably Riddick is still a RB2 this year with little TD potential and unlikely to break 500 yards. C.J. Prosise will get some touches in Seattle, but that situation is shaping up to be a comittee and Thomas Rawls is too good for Prosise to really steal all of his carries. I think we're looking at a hot hand thing there. Finally we have Devontae booker, who probably shouldn't even be owned unless you're convinced Jamaal Charles is actually done (which maybe he is, yeah), and rookie D'Onta Foreman, who could well beat out Alfred Blue for the RB2 job in Texas, but that's not guaranteed and that's second fiddle to Lamar Miller. There's only one overlap at bye week and it's not an important one (Riddick and Foreman), so I think what we have here are some high-upside gambles with Powell and Gurley, some low-upside gambles with Prosise and Riddick, and some longshots with Foreman and Booker. There's no safe pick in the bunch, and that's not a good way to spend all six of your RB picks. I would have liked to see a solid safe RB1 choice mixed in with all the backups and risky plays.

Seven WRs including OBJ and Brandin Cooks as solid WR1 and 2 choices. Cooks is a Patriot now but he should still be featured. Corey Coleman and Tyler Lockett should both be solid, if unreliable, WR2 guys who will have a few big score weeks. Josh Doctson lost his rookie year to recovering from injury, but there's lots of upside potential there if he's as good as his draft spot suggested. Then there's a couple of rookies, Corey Davis and JuJu Smith-Schuster. Davis may be the WR2 in Tennesee, unless Tajae Sharpe or Rishard Matthews are, so his actual role isn't clear yet but there's a chance he shines. Smith-Schuster has maybe just as tough competition but a better WR, but he's basically the same deal: maybe he'll be the slot guy or maybe Eli Rogers beats him and he is a benchwarmer. All told though I like this set of WRs with one drawback; two have week 8 byes, and three week 9; and there's seven of them, while RB, QB, and D/ST are all weak.

Travis Kelce is as sure of a thing at TE as you can get; even better than Gronk in terms of injury risk vs. on-field potential. Charles Clay is a perfectly good TE2 to own, and taking a third TE just in case is a good idea for this oft-injured position. Adam Shaheen is a rookie in Chicago, though, and behind both Zach Miller and Dion Sims. He just hasn't got the lottery ticket potential given his situation, so why spend the slot? I'd give Risquebarber an A if he'd grabbed a veteran option like a Will Tye or even an Antonio Gates instead: worse, Risque drafted Shaheen before Clay, in the 19th round.

D/STs: C
The cardinals are a very good defense. But there's only the one D/ST on this team, which is... not good. It'll be a zero on week 8, and there will surely be other poor showings, and the free slot was used, presumably, on one of the several redundant not-great RBs, the extra lottery ticket QB, or the extra rookie third string Chicago tight end.

This is a team that has weaknesses sufficient to overcome its strengths. If Risquebarber is lucky, he could crack the top six, but in my judgement he's got zero chance at a win. The strongest spots are at WR and TE, but a weak QB corps and a missing D/ST sabotages the team, and the lackluster RB set is unlikely to boost the team into contention.

This is great. I feel the same about my team. I didn't know we needed two defenses until was too late. I understand slow draft now.

• Locked thread