Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/859166377751584769

:itwaspoo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

norp posted:

In case you didn't realise already the goal is to make miserable not improve their lives.

The primary goal is probably not this though. That's just a delightful secondary purpose / way to sell it to the BA Santamaria crowd. As always, the primary goal is graft. LNP friends and donors will be the ones making fat stacks off this business just as God intended.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

This is pretty interesting. Imagine being the monopoly airport and not wanting to control what will amount to the competition. Something messed up going on here.

https://twitter.com/abcsydney/status/859177337274814464

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

DancingShade posted:

You know those obvious "buy property at the height of the bubble" home investment propaganda pieces?

ABC is getting in on the act http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-02/brickx-startup-selling-shares-in-sydney-melbourne-properties/8487790

It reads more like an advertorial for a startup.

Again, I love how apparently the solution for new home buyers not being able to afford to buy a home is buying tiny shares in properties they don't get to live in. This is totally helping, guys!

Bonus points for the photo of the lady who owns 20 bricks looking at a kitchen like she's just dropped in from another galaxy and it's a new and amazing thing to her.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Oh my God what is the ABC doing shilling BrickX?

You're better off putting it in crypto Lmao.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
That BuzzFeed article about Millennials property millionaires was pretty good.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Anidav posted:

You'd be better off setting it on fire. At least it would be warm (and possibly carcinogenic).

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Is there anything novel about that company? It just looks like a very small real estate fund? Wouldn't you be better off buying shares in an ETF that's listed somewhere and which you can sell easily?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

open24hours posted:

Is there anything novel about that company? It just looks like a very small real estate fund? Wouldn't you be better off buying shares in an ETF that's listed somewhere and which you can sell easily?

It's got an app. It's obviously better.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

It's disruptive and innovative

fakeedit: poo poo Bogan King already said that

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bogan King posted:

This is pretty interesting. Imagine being the monopoly airport and not wanting to control what will amount to the competition. Something messed up going on here.

https://twitter.com/abcsydney/status/859177337274814464

lol that's what happens when you sell off our International Airports on 99 year leases.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

iajanus posted:

Again, I love how apparently the solution for new home buyers not being able to afford to buy a home is buying tiny shares in properties they don't get to live in. This is totally helping, guys!

Bonus points for the photo of the lady who owns 20 bricks looking at a kitchen like she's just dropped in from another galaxy and it's a new and amazing thing to her.

we've got to the point that the rentier class are so deranged that they've forgotten that the purpose of a house is to live in

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

It's sad how hateful people are.
gently caress You! Harden the gently caress up or gently caress off! Literal scum.

DancingShade posted:

It's your ABC.

*camera pans around to reveal room full of right wing conservatives*
As God intended.

Bogan King posted:

I'm reasonably sure that the Federal government didn't offer enough 'rent'. There are concerns that none of the major carriers will set up depots there but that would surely be just a matter of time (The fences at Sydney airport can't actually go any further out). Going public so loudly speaks to me entirely of leverage. Badgery's Creek is probably the one achievement that Malformed Turdball can point at so holding it to ransom makes good business sense.

Speaking of the ABC shilling: The 'panel' on ABC news 24 were blatantly spruiking for the new Canberra Airport as an alternative. Study after study have shown this idea to be basically impossible. Canberra is the most often closed for weather location with a major airport, has significant terrain around all the approaches and is still a long way from Sydney. To provide transit between Sydney and Canberra would require a fast train and now we are really in the realms of fantasy. But it did give the presenters plenty of scope to 'mention' the 'fabulous new facilities at Canberra Airport' a fact that Capital Property Finance Pty Ltd must be overjoyed about.

What we really need is a coal fired base load airport

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-02/coal-power-station-versus-hydro-electric-governments-at-odds/8488368

quote:

Coal vs. hydro-electric — governments at odds over north Queensland power supply By Andree Withey Updated 31 minutes ago

Mr Canavan said a hydro-electric scheme would be too small to offer power security. Federal Resources Minister Matt Canavan wants a new coal-fired power station built in Queensland, despite the state's insistence it would prefer greener solutions. Mr Canavan said there was no base-load power generated north of Rockhampton, in central Queensland, and the power and economic needs of the north needed to be secured. Flagged sites included the mouth of the Galilee basin or at the now idle Collinsville power station. Mr Canavan said it was hypocritical for Queensland to be opposed to be coal-fired stations, considering its exports.(Bait and switch/chicken<-> egg) "The Queensland government is happy to export coal and make billions of dollars for their budget from royalties for coal," he said. "It's okay to burn that coal in other countries but not here apparently in Queensland. That is absurd. Why would we send a valuable economic resource to another country to use but not even consider using it ourselves?

"I think the people of north Queensland want the same kind of benefits people in southern Australia get from having base-load power." Mr Canavan said the region's economic future was dependent on the generation of the station, adding it could also help Clive Palmer's Yabulu refinery re-open. "At least Clive only wrecked one refinery in Townsville, there are six other refineries and smelters that need cheap power to stay alive and local is the answer there." Mr Canavan said state plans — announced on the weekend — to build a hydro-electric power station in the Burdekin Falls Dam, south of Townsville, would not be enough. "It is a tiny power station," Mr Canavan said. Queensland's Energy Minister Mark Bailey said a new coal fired power station in the north would be expensive, bad for the reef and climate change. He said Queensland was opposed to any new coal power, and the focus was on clean energy sources. Solar farms were to be built in Townsville, the Darling Downs, Oakey and Longreach. Mr Bailey said solar is reliable in north Queensland and baseload demand can be run off that. Furthermore, battery technology is becoming more economical - costs are dropping 7 per cent a year. "The Federal Government is] out of touch and don't care enough about climate change nor the economics of large scale renewables being cheaper now to build than new power stations," Mr Bailey said. "What they need to be doing is getting behind the clean energy movement in Queensland — that's the future. The last thing we need though is a new coal power station which will lock in high carbon emissions for a generation and a half cooking the reef."
Agile and innovative like most fossil bearing anthracite or to be put more simply, a rock.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 2, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

What? You don't protect your headphones with garbage bags and 'packing powder'?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Conclusion: too suss

Cartoon posted:

But it did give the presenters plenty of scope to 'mention' the 'fabulous new facilities at Canberra Airport' a fact that Capital Property Finance Pty Ltd must be overjoyed about.

To be fair the Canberra airport used to be reeeeeeeeeeeeal lovely. It's a lot better.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The Canberra airport has like one cafe and two vending machines. It sucks.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This busty cocaine smuggler certainly is getting the expected level of news coverage.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

'The Block'-chain?

How agile and disruptive.

Edit: like paying for your corporate tax cut by ripping money out of education and young taxpayers. Talk about intergenerational theft.

hooman fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 2, 2017

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/oz_f/status/859236212996845568

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

gently caress

like I knew I'd need to start paying HECS next year when I finish my grad year and get promoted (which I don't mind doing considering my degrees got me into a great job) but it'd be super awesome if the HECS increase didn't entirely negate the pay increase.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

The Before Times posted:

gently caress

like I knew I'd need to start paying HECS next year when I finish my grad year and get promoted (which I don't mind doing considering my degrees got me into a great job) but it'd be super awesome if the HECS increase didn't entirely negate the pay increase.

Congratulations then it doesn't completely negate it you just get 3c extra money to spend for every $1 extra you get paid. As we no longer have anything smaller than 5c you can round up and be assured of a red frog for that pay bump.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Bogan King posted:

Congratulations then it doesn't completely negate it you just get 3c extra money to spend for every $1 extra you get paid. As we no longer have anything smaller than 5c you can round up and be assured of a red frog for that pay bump.

I've seen this type of thing quoted, can anyone explain the math?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Bravo the Liberal party, for inventing a way to make the educated elitists that just stick in their craw so badly pay exclusively for their you-beaut corporate tax cut, while nouveau-riche "battlers" reside over their rental portfolios unperturbed...

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Surely the ALP doesnt support this

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

"Daily Mail Australia also understands there were never any headphones in the package and it only contained concealed cocaine."

What.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Druggo! Boo, hiss!

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Anidav posted:

Surely the ALP doesnt support this

Lol

quote:

A 3.25 per cent efficiency dividend, originally proposed by Labor, would reduce university funding by approximately $900 million over four years.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I'm reminded of that one time my union actually endorsed the Greens over the ALP because they were trying to gut higher ed (It was 2013).

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah but Bill seems to have the small capability to change his mind every now and then.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

News posted:

LABOR is pledging to block a $2.8b funding cut to the higher education sector which will force students to pay off loans earlier and make degrees more expensive. Shadow Education Minister Tanya Plibersek hasn’t ruled out blocking all of the reforms though. Speaking to reporters in Sydney this morning, she said Labor would examine the detail of the Turnbull Government’s proposal to see if there were measures the party would support.

Ms Plibersek rejected suggestions the increased fees were not that large an impost on students.

“Students in Australia are already among the highest contributors to the cost of their own university education, so adding thousands of dollars to the cost of the degree is unfair,” she said. "We also know that those students are repaying back debt at the same time as every other expense is hitting them, they’re starting a family, trying to buy a house. If students do well from their university education, if they become highly paid professionals, they will make a contribution through the tax system on top of repaying their HECS debt, for the rest of their lives.”

Under the planned changes, announced by Education Minister Simon Birmingham last night, students studying a four-year bachelor degree will pay between $2000 and $3600 more over the duration, and all can be deferred on the income-contingent HECS-HELP loan scheme. Students will also have to replay loans earlier once they start earning. The repayment threshold for their loans will kick in at $42,000 from mid-2018 — a substantial drop from the current $55,000 threshold.

The Government will also impose a two- year efficiency dividend on teaching funding. Labor also announced an efficiency dividend of 2 per cent during the Gillard Government, which would have cut $2.3 billion from its spending on higher education to fund the Gonski school reforms.

Opposition leader Bill Shorten said the Turnbull Government should be finding money in the budget by not going ahead with corporate tax cuts rather than making university students pay more to go to university. Shadow Education Minister Tanya Plibersek also slammed the proposed efficiency measures. The government should not be “slashing” money from education to repair the budget, Ms Plibersek said.

She also questioned the Deloitte report’s credibility.

“Isn’t it surprising that when the government commissions a company to do a report to justify cuts to university funding and increases to student costs that the report comes out saying we should cut university funding and increase student costs,” she said. Ms Plibersek also laughed off suggestions Labor had promised similar efficiency measures, saying funding for education had nearly doubled to $14 billion under the Rudd and Gillard governments.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm wondering if after the 2014 budget not getting anything through if Unis aren't too worried about this one.

I feel like back in 2014 I'd already received emails from the VC that things were going to be fine, we'll work through it, blah blah but nothing so far with these announced cuts.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I feel like back in 2014 I'd already received emails from the VC that things were going to be fine, we'll work through it, blah blah but nothing so far with these announced cuts.

I think the email I received from my VC was nothing like that. It was basically "suck it up leaners."

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
My VC was actually very supportive of students. I feel like uni students in the Group 8 unis are hosed though

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

The Press Council considered whether its Standards of Practice were breached by the publication of an article on news.com.au on 10 January 2017, headed “Woman accused of terrifying 7-Eleven axe attack is transgender unionist once known as Karl”.
The Council considers the publication took reasonable steps to avoid causing or contributing materially to substantial offence, distress or prejudice, or risk to health or safety. The public interest also justified reporting on her request for hormone therapy drugs. Accordingly, General Principle 6 was not breached in this respect.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/press-council-adjudication/news-story/d3272fc98408d8d83442587509fd84f2

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It's almost as if ALP policy is a tad more balanced than it was under Gillard and the Shadowmen

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Anidav posted:

It's almost as if ALP policy is 'checks notes'

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

It's almost as if ALP policy is a tad more balanced than it was under Gillard and the Shadowmen

This is the balanced policy that enabled state sponsored data retention and warrentless access to the information, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
we should only gently caress half the poor, because that is the balanced option between loving all the poors and loving none of them

• Locked thread