Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
TRUCK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sue, Sport-Utility Equine

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

That horse is worth at least 450 horse, so Mustang

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Bruceski posted:

This has my vote!

I like how you can't make the giant horse sprint. Perhaps your body could not withstand it?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Glazius posted:

This has my vote!

I like how you can't make the giant horse sprint. Perhaps your body could not withstand it?

Pretty sure it moves faster when I spur it, I just assumed it had infinite stamina. Never really tested.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Sleipnir. He may only have four legs but he's big enough for the name.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Sputnik

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
It's always fun to name things like their opposites. He's big and quiet, so lets go with Tingle

lightace
Jul 13, 2016
It's gotta be Ganonhoof

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I made Ganonhoof, but...

Bruceski posted:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Ganonhoof I couldn't think of a Ganon related name that fit when naming my own, but this works well.

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Kokuoh, a steed fit for a post-apocalyptic savior.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
Lil' Sebastian

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm gonna Nth Ganonhoof.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Ganonhoof sounds like the best fit.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Spockle 2.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ganonhoof of course.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

SUE, naturally.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Screw it, made a poll for the top answers. I'll end it and play either tonight or tomorrow morning.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Mixing random stuff in with a hearty truffle is kind of pointless unless you do it properly, I believe a single truffle alone gives 3 temporary hearts. I guess I might be confusing that with something else though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

tiistai posted:

Mixing random stuff in with a hearty truffle is kind of pointless unless you do it properly, I believe a single truffle alone gives 3 temporary hearts. I guess I might be confusing that with something else though.

I had a challenge earlier to mix meat with everything I cook, but was still debating whether I wanted to go full-on into it.

The problem with cooking gimmicks is there's a ton of ways to get around whatever challenge I have, so I'd rather avoid cooking gimmicks at all and try to minimize the opportunities I eat (for instance, I'm trying to avoid eating during combat since otherwise every fight is trivial). I'll still eat for times I need to, though (like taming the giant horse, any other stamina sink, or for temperature changes, etc).

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Mega64 posted:

I had a challenge earlier to mix meat with everything I cook, but was still debating whether I wanted to go full-on into it.

Yeah, I should have mentioned I meant that as kind of a general tip since I've seen people who didn't realize it.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
How about Koku-Oh ?

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
weirdest thing watching the votes. Every time Ganonhoof gets close. Sue gains 5 votes or so

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Godna posted:

weirdest thing watching the votes. Every time Ganonhoof gets close. Sue gains 5 votes or so

So, who is voting multiple times?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

This game utilizes gyro aiming in both the Wii U and Switch versions. I don't use it myself, but it's pretty nice to have if you're used to it through Splatoon or whatever.

Plus it's a good bit better than the other areas where the game uses gyro...ugh...

So last update, the mysterious voice from what appears to be Hyrule Castle told us that Link's been asleep for the past one hundred years and there's a terrifying beast that's close to destroying all of Hyrule and we're the only thing that can defeat it.

So, uh, we may want to get on that.

But first...

There's the castle slightly to the left, and a volcanic mountain slightly to the right.

Going clockwise are these two peaks and some sheer cliffs beyond.

A nearby temple, and lots of mountains.

There's something in the air off in the distance.

This is the only way down that doesn't involve us dying, so let's get to it!

https://d.mega64.net/botw/u03/009.mp4

...Maybe with a little more care next time.

We manage to climb down with slightly less incident, when...

https://d.mega64.net/botw/u03/011.mp4

You didn't think we'd avoid the old man forever, did you?

This tower and others just like it have erupted across the land, one after another.

Link, as usual, is a silent protagonist who mainly communicates through answering questions.

He doesn't really have much reason to hide what's going on from the only other human being around though, so he tells the old man about the voice he heard.

Unfortunately not.

I see. Well, that is unfortunate.

It appeared suddenly and destroyed everything in its path. So many innocent lives were lost in its wake. For a century, the very symbol of our kingdom, Hyrule Castle, has managed to contain that evil. But just barely. There it festers, building its strength for the moment it will unleash its blight upon the land once again. It would appear that moment is fast approaching...

We don't know much. Link's been asleep for a hundred years, this thing has conquered Hyrule Castle and remains there for some mysterious reason, and only we can save it.

But the one thing the various Links have shared throughout this series is a sense of courage. And our Link is no exception. We will.

I had a feeling you would say that.

So we're pretty much stuck here until we get that paraglider. Wait, what's this about a paraglider?

Oho! Piqued your interest, have I? Yes, I didn't come soaring down here on my own feathery wings, you know!

Let's see now... How about I trade it for a bit of treasure that slumbers nearby?

A quick walk over to this hill, where the shrine we previously visited looks a bit different now.

It began glowing at the exact moment those towers rose up from the ground. I would think such a place might house some sort of treasure, wouldn't you?

Welp, looks like we've got our next objective.

Anyway, this pedestal is now active, so let's try interacting with it.

https://d.mega64.net/botw/u03/049.mp4

Looks like we're clear to enter!

So, what exactly is this place?

Music: Shrine Theme

Welcome to our first shrine!

As you may be aware, there's not really traditional dungeons like in earlier games, though there's areas that are pretty close to them. Otherwise, much of the more puzzle-oriented gameplay takes place in these shrines, which are usually short areas that test your skills and logic. The nice thing is, because of the nature of the game, there's usually more than one way to solve many of these shrines, especially if you're particularly creative and can master some of the game's weirder mechanics. There's also shrines that are combat tests, and shrines that don't have any challenge to them, usually because the challenge is to gain access in the first place through some overworld puzzle or test or what have you.

This shrine and the next several exist to introduce you to the major mechanics this game uses for interacting with the environment.

To be able to progress, we'll have to insert our Sheikah Slate here.

And undergo a rather weird upgrade procedure...

...to get our first rune, Magnesis! And boy, is it a fun and sometimes broken one to play with.

Magnesis is rather simple. Activate the rune with the L button, use the camera to highlight any metal object (the rune helpfully highlights all metal objects that can be interacted with), and...

https://d.mega64.net/botw/u03/063.mp4

...lift the metal object up! Manipulate the camera to control where it goes, with Up and Down on the D-Pad moving the object towards or away from you. B to stop manipulating the object.

Removing this slab of metal reveals a secret entrance to bypass the gate.

Next up, a stone wall with a rather obvious metal block in it.

Now, you may think, "Why not just climb up the wall?" While you can climb almost any surface in the overworld, you can't in shrines to keep things from getting too busted. That's no problem here, though, thanks to MAGNESIS!

https://d.mega64.net/botw/u03/066.mp4

Rather than crawl through a hole in the wall, we proceed to knock it down instead. And also run into a new enemy.

Music: Shrine Battle

This is a Guardian Scout. These guys are a bit more durable than the Bokoblins we've faced before, plus they can fire lasers. They're pretty slow to attack though so if you're agile enough they should be little threat.

https://d.mega64.net/botw/u03/069.mp4

But this is Breath of the Wild, after all! We have options, including our handy new power! Heavy metal objects can do some damage as well as block projectiles. Not necessarily something you can count on in every battle, and it's not very damaging later in the game, but it's a great way to save a bit of wear and tear on your weapons.

The Scout goes down easily and we get some screw for our troubles. Alright, then.

Music: Shrine Theme

Next little puzzle is this gap. If only we had a bridge...

Oh, wait!

Many chests are considered metal. We grab it and bring it right to us!

Free bow is always nice.

Last "puzzle" is opening these doors.

Mainly a way to make sure you understand how to pull objects towards you.

Nothing too hard, just making sure you understand the basics of your new power. It's enough to get you started, at any rate.

The end of the shrine has...uh...

https://e.mega64.net/botw/u03/080.mp4

I am a humble monk, blessed with the sight of Goddess Hylia and dedicated to helping those who seek to defeat Ganon. With your arrival, my duty is now fulfilled. In the name of Goddess Hylia, allow me to bestow this gift upon you.

https://e.mega64.net/botw/u03/087.mp4

This is the reward you get for completing a shrine. As for what they do...you'll find out soon! But not now.

And the monk disappears into the aether. And that's our first shrine completed!

Only 119 to go...

Well, that was quick.

I'm quite curious as to how he knew a spirit orb was inside.

As one gets older, it can become more difficult to see what is right before one's own eyes... However, that which was once hidden from view can often be crystal clear. But perhaps that is not true for everyone! Oho ho! The appearance of those towers and the awakening of this shrine...

Huh?

It has been quite some time since I have seen that Sheikah Slate...

The great power of their wisdom saved this kingdom time and time again.

It is interesting, however, to think... how something like that survived all this time, hidden away in a shrine. These shrines are tucked away in numerous places all across this land. On this plateau alone, I believe there are still three more.

Ahahahahahaha, we're never getting off this plateau are we. So apparently we need four total.

Whether it's one treasure or four, what's the difference for a young go-getter like yourself? Since I'm feeling generous, I will also teach you a trick for finding shrines.

Climb...up the tower? Really?

Oho ho! I am afraid not. But do not worry! I have another little trick to share with you for your effort.

You can travel instantly to any of those places with the Sheikah Slate.

...You're terrible at this, old man. Anyway, we can simply fast-travel to the top of the tower, which is quite handy.

Next time, we'll track the other three shrines and then proceed to ignore them in favor of futzing around some more.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 25, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mega64 posted:

Ahaha what the gently caress
I think making that a poll was the right idea. :stare:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Godna posted:

Come on, no one is going to try to rig a strawpoll over a horse name of all things.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Wow, that's a lot of votes. Looks like the winner, barely, is Ganonhoof!

I'll get some gameplay and hopefully an update up later today.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Clearly, a) there's a heck of a lot of lurkers in this thread, and b) we collectively feel very strongly about the name of your absurdly gigantic horse.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, almost exactly how catching the Giant Horse went for me. Although I didn't do or even have the quest, and I beelined straight for a stable to register him. Got chased by horse monsters too. Let's hope he manages to not think of ants.

Also I hope Link didn't forget anything in the Shrine of Resurrection when he woke up. :ohdear:

Oh also all your screenshots with Link on quarter of a heart make me very apprehensive. It's a neat way of making screenshots of actiony bits exciting.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I think all of us can agree, Ganonhoof needs braided flower mane

Mega64
May 23, 2008

McDragon posted:

Oh also all your screenshots with Link on quarter of a heart make me very apprehensive. It's a neat way of making screenshots of actiony bits exciting.

I play full-screen on my Elgato, which has a giant REC symbol over the hearts when recording, so half the time I don't even know what health I'm at.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I think all of us can agree, Ganonhoof needs braided flower mane

Sadly, we cannot change the mane or gear for the giant horse.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Mega64 posted:

I play full-screen on my Elgato, which has a giant REC symbol over the hearts when recording, so half the time I don't even know what health I'm at.
Doesn't Link himself start flashing red if your health is low?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

One heart or lower, plus the game starts beeping like other Zeldas do.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Keep in mind your stuff will eventually burn away, though a wooden weapon on fire will deal extra damage.

Last time, we got ourselves a giant horse!

It has no stamina so can't be spurred to dash like Spockle can. However, our new horse is really great at trampling wild animals to death, so in the end it's kind of a wash.

Plus, how can't you love a face like that?

After a close vote, we ended up going with Ganonhoof. Works for me!

Despite abandoning Spockle in the wilderness, since we can obviously only have one horse out at a time Spockle teleports back to the stable. Less for us to do!

Horse bond builds slowly, but there is a handy trick to raising it.

https://f.mega64.net/botw/u11/011.mp4

Each apple fed to a horse raises its bond by ten. Horses like being fed, go figure.

If you like, I can change out its gear or maybe...

I'm sorry, but I don't think I have any gear that'd fit such a large horse, and I bet it wouldn't like its mane handled... I'm so sorry about that.

No fancy new flowery mane for Ganonhoof, sadly.

That takes care of our side stuff! Now back to our original goal, traveling to where the sword told us to go.

For now, we'll take the road north and then to the east until we hit unknown territory. We'll figure out what to do from there.

Another one bites the dust.

Right after hitting the fork, something pops out in the distance.

Always down for another shrine!

...except these. I don't like the combat trials. They're pretty much all the same thing.

There's an empty room, usually with pillars, sometimes without.

Music: Shrine Battle

Then a Guardian Scout appears, one more souped up than the ones you usually face in the puzzle shrines.

They all play very similar. They'll fire projectiles until you get close range.

Then they'll attack with whatever weapons they have. Some will have a sword, spear, and axe. Some, like this one, has a shield to block attacks.

The goal is to wallop it until it falls. Guardian weapons work well on them.

https://f.mega64.net/botw/u11/033.mp4

There's three phases for them. In the first, they'll occasionally spin right at you. The best way to evade it is hiding behind a pillar, making the scout hit the pillar and stop long enough to get beat up.

After taking damage, this attack changes to one where the scout spins a laser in an increasingly large radius.

This conveniently creates an updraft that lets you evade it and shoot arrows at it. An arrow in the eye deals solid damage and can stun it.

Of course, if you get hit by the laser you may get stunlocked until the scout stops the attack. Luckily it won't do more damage, just knock you back a good distance.

Once it's low on health, the scout stops attacking completely and stays in place to charge up its laser. At this point, you'll want to finish it off quickly.

Else it'll shoot off several powerful bursts that will likely kill you. If you somehow survive, it'll just start charging again until defeated.

I get KOed that round, so I drink my Attack Elixir and go to town.

These are a lot more difficult your first time through, but once you've learned the battle system they're pretty simple even at the very beginning. Having some good weapons help, of course.

The sword and shield are handy. Definitely not bad loot for the fight!

There's always a treasure chest at the end. This one is...not so great considering we already have metal boomerangs three times as powerful. But if you're looking for that classic Zelda boomerang design, there you go.

The combat trials also have different text when you complete them. Other than that, you still get a spirit orb as usual.

Right outside is another thing that boosts max hearts. Handy to have!

Back from the way we came are travelers. You'll see them a lot on the roads.

But when I wandered into Faron Woods without a map and got lost... I tell ya - I just about lost my mind. But enough about me...

Some will sell certain items. Nothing too interesting right now for us.

A new type of mushroom in the forest. Plenty of these around.

Pass some enemies on the way...

And then we see a suspicious-looking flower to the side.

Gotta take care of the enemies here. The Bokoblins go down with no effort.

This statue doesn't do anything, but it's still pretty interesting, don't you think?

Lizalfos are also little threat. Took out two with one boomerang!

Anyway, when we hit this flower...

...a new one pops up elsewhere. Your only clue is an audio queue in the direction it pops up. Hope you have surround!

There's five flowers that pop up. The last one is blue, and hitting it gets us...

...you already know, don't you.

I'm swimming in these drat seeds by now.

More travelers.

You know, there are ancient ruins hidden away in Faron Woods. I would never go, but overgrown ruins sound so...romantic!

A traveler who got lost in Faron Woods said he saw a dragon-shaped river, which made me really curious...

Music: Musician (Kass' Song)

And up ahead...

https://f.mega64.net/botw/u11/081.mp4

I really love this song, and I really love this character.

Th-that there...on your hip!

Wait...a bird person?

Ah, Rito. The Rito show up in Wind Waker as one of the major races. They're said to have evolved from the Zoras, though in this game both races exist which...sure, why not.

This is Kass. We'll be seeing a lot of him through our adventures.

We've got amnesia and don't remember a thing, so tell us about them.

Ancient songs - song that sing the praises of a hero who beat back the Calamity in an age past. I know a song about this place.

Sure!

Excellent! Without further ado...

https://f.mega64.net/botw/u11/092.mp4

Where the forest dragon splays its jaws, A shrine sleeps with noble cause.

Though I suppose the forest from the song could be the Damel Forest, north of here. There's definitely a secret lying in wait - it's just a matter of tracking it down.

We've got our first shrine quest! These quests, oddly enough, unlock shrines.

It sounds like the forest is to the north. As for where the dragon splays its jaws...

...that traveler from before said the river looks like a dragon. Doesn't Dracozu Lake look like a pair of maws to you?

Oh, another puzzle.

But first, a chest.

So, this seems simple. Two metal rocks on pedestals, a third empty pedestal, and a third rock in the water.

https://f.mega64.net/botw/u11/105.mp4

...It's not that simple. These two rocks are chained together, so even activating one will move the other, making it very difficult to land both at the same time. If only we could lock one in place...

Oh, we can!

I spent far too much time fooling around on this before I figured it out. You can probably tell since it's night in this screenshot.

And there we go!

Next time, we'll investigate the forest for that shrine and then enter new territory. What awaits us there?

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 25, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That merchant mentioned a place called Lurelin Village. We should see if we can find it after exploring those ruins.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Rau's about to go Big Brother Barbarian on some motherfuckers, that's for sure.
:doh:

I didn't put that chained-rock puzzle together when I first saw it, because I'm apparently a dunce. I'd even said to myself, "How do I keep one rock from moving when I move the other? Whatever, I'll come back to this later." And then I got sidetracked and never got back to it later.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

How long do those leaf people just hang around? I mean, that chained ball thing seems pretty elaborate. "Hahahaha! I will hide myself inside this obscure puzzle until a hero wakes up 100 years later who might pass this way and could possibly care enough to solve it!"

I mean, what do they do in the meantime? Does Hyrule even have broadband so they can check LeafHub or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Junior G-man posted:

How long do those leaf people just hang around? I mean, that chained ball thing seems pretty elaborate. "Hahahaha! I will hide myself inside this obscure puzzle until a hero wakes up 100 years later who might pass this way and could possibly care enough to solve it!"

I mean, what do they do in the meantime? Does Hyrule even have broadband so they can check LeafHub or something?

No joke: The Wood Wide Web

• Locked thread