Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

THERE WERE 25 MINS OF PREVIEWS> WTF

I had to sit through a Pirates of the Caribbean clip. Never have I been so bored. The dialogue was flat as gently caress and Depp was phoning it in.

Then King Arthur trailer and man that movie has waaaaay too much going on in a single movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

PostNouveau posted:

And also the overhead shot of the control room as the arrow flies around the outside of it killing anyone trying to charge them and the part where the arrow can be seen only indirectly as it flies through the security camera streams. Maybe just recency bias, but I can't think of an action scene I liked more in an MCU movie.

Those were really great shots, I had a huge grin during that part

https://youtu.be/vRRMzXZd0iw

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr. F! posted:

THERE WERE 25 MINS OF PREVIEWS> WTF

For me there was about 2 minutes of previews and almost everyone missed the first 10 minutes.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Count me as surprised at the critical reaction saying it was worse than the first; other than a cluttered 3rd act I thought it was actually better and rounded out a lot of the characters. :shrug:

I would say the second act drags a bit whilst Quill's in exposition land and the B team are propping up the action, but other than that it was really solid.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

WMain00 posted:

I had to sit through a Pirates of the Caribbean clip. Never have I been so bored. The dialogue was flat as gently caress and Depp was phoning it in.

Yeah, a scene where people are being attacked by badass skellington sharks should at least scream 'off the wall badass' and awaken the 14-year-old within me and attract my interest, but the strongest response I had to that interminable clip was the realisation that this is happening very shortly after Depp's financial woes have come to light.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So the Ravager council is Sly Stallone, Michelle Yeoh, Ving Rhames, Miley Cyress and Majordomo Executus. Important for Vol 3 or setting something up so Thanos has someone to tear apart like tissue paper next may?

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So the Ravager council is Sly Stallone, Michelle Yeoh, Ving Rhames, Miley Cyress and Majordomo Executus. Important for Vol 3 or setting something up so Thanos has someone to tear apart like tissue paper next may?

James Gunn has said he and Marvel have plans to see more of Stallone and his crew in the future. He's not sure about Vol. 3, but since Marvel wants to do more with the cosmic stuff, maybe a solo movie?

BrendianaJones fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 6, 2017

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Baron Porkface posted:

Why was it that Yondu was kicked out of the ravagers? Sly kinda mumbled it.
Ego hired Yondu to abduct the many children Ego sired on his travels and bring them to him (to see if any had inherited his cosmic power). Trafficking in children is against the Ravager code, so Yondu was ostracized when his transgressions were discovered.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Blazing Ownager posted:

Count me as surprised at the critical reaction saying it was worse than the first; other than a cluttered 3rd act I thought it was actually better and rounded out a lot of the characters. :shrug:

No, I get that. There's just enough, "hey remember this joke?" moments to knock it down...maybe a half peg? It's a movie I enjoyed the hell out of, but if you had to make choose which was better of the two :shrug:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I just about lost it when Quill used his cosmic powers to turn into pac man :v: in the climactic battle

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BrendianaJones posted:

James Gunn has said he and Marvel have plans to see more of Stallone and his crew in the future. He's not sure about Vol. 3, but since Marvel wants to do more with the cosmic stuff, maybe a solo movie?

From the sci-fi look, my guess is possibly Thor Ragnarok.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I loved the Raimi-esque close ups of the faces of people getting pierced by the arrow. That was awesome

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think he just wanted to bring in the original Guardians of the Galaxy as he was killing off one of them, but they are cool enough and have a cast list of notable enough people that they could always do something with them.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
James Gunn has made it sound like hes going to be doing more with the cosmic side of marvel outside of just Guardians. Wouldn't be shocked if Cosmic marvel doesn't get a non guardians and I guess Thor now movie after the infinity stuff is all over.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I appreciated that they got Jeff Goldblum to dance in one of those bubbles in the end credits, even though he's not even in this movie.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

MisterBibs posted:

Now, if they want a scene with 70s Kurt Russell with his wonderful 70s hair, they can do it.

I dunno, you don't think that's just a little hosed up? I was playing around with FaceApp the other day when everyone was having fun with it and I was horrified that the "old" filter on me looked like a dead ringer for my grandfather. Frankly, I shudder to think what happens when this technology goes beyond entertainment purposes.

Anyway, the movie's got it's moments but overall it's yet another lifeless blockbuster drowned in smarm and irony because it doesn't know how to tell a joke and it's terrified you might actually feel stressed or upset for even a moment. From the opening scene we've got The Sovereign, an entire civilization of Janelle Monae back-up dancers who behave like they're in a post-ironic production of Fritz Lang's Metropolis, waging drone warfare like it's an 80's arcade game. And then it's another 2 hours of turd jokes, 20 different slow-mo/music cues, and what feels like a dozen loving scenes where a wave of nameless mongols get wiped out for the satisfaction of audience blood lust.

Honestly surprised anyone was actually shocked by the "I put that tumor in her skull" scene because that reveal was so random and weightless (and Peter doesn't even take a moment to process it before he opens fire, zapping any potential pathos that moment could have recovered).

I do like that Kurt Russell's whole thing though is being that alien from the Futurama episode where Leela thinks shes found another cyclops but it turns out he's just a shapeshifter who wants to have ten different hosed-up alien wives to clean all his poo poo.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Odd movie. Whether it's clunky jokes popping out of nowhere, or foreground human elements standing unconvincingly in front of CG backgrounds, it just doesn't quite cohere. But I liked a lot of the more grounded character stuff, and putting more emphasis on Yondu, Rocket, and Nebula was a good call. A solid movie, about as good as the first, that would be even better if James Gunn wasn't trying to make a $200 million comedy and could focus on the things he's good at.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Just saw it, thought it was great, the action was cool, the character moments were sweet, the jokes were funny.

Only thing that didn't work for me was Mantis, felt she was undeveloped and just kind of there as a tool for the finale. She's fun though so hope she gets some characterization in the sequel.

Were the aliens in the post credit scenes anyone important? I got the sovereign reference Adam Warlock but not those other two.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 6, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
One gripe I have is that I feel like they made Mantis a little too dumb. I get that she's supposed to be extremely sheltered but they took it to dumb blonde territory in some scenes.

I did find it funny that Drax has seemingly gone from this dense rear end :spergin: guy to some :smug: master of wit simply because he found someone dumber than him to lord over.

You're beautiful, Mantis... On the inside

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

Nebula: "I cannot be tried as I am a sovereign citizen. That is a gold fringed flag"

Rocket: Am I being detained? Am I being detained?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Did anyone else get an uncomfortable, old Hollywood style orientalism coming from Mantis or was it just me?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

TrixRabbi posted:

Did anyone else get an uncomfortable, old Hollywood style orientalism coming from Mantis or was it just me?

Yeah I did too. From the trailers I was kind of assuming the character would be a little more badass and proactive.

The other element of it is whenever you have Empath type aliens they are almost always female which reinforces women being compassionate and nurturing. Yondu could connect with Rocket, but it was because of shared, similar experiences that connected them. Mantis could connect to Drax because of Empath powers.

It kind of took away from nice bits where they talk about the relationships between different family members or the roles unrelated people play in forming familial bonds with each other.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Yeah I did too. From the trailers I was kind of assuming the character would be a little more badass and proactive.

The other element of it is whenever you have Empath type aliens they are almost always female which reinforces women being compassionate and nurturing. Yondu could connect with Rocket, but it was because of shared, similar experiences that connected them. Mantis could connect to Drax because of Empath powers.

It kind of took away from nice bits where they talk about the relationships between different family members or the roles unrelated people play in forming familial bonds with each other.

It also feels like her whole character exists to be berated. Like, none of that was funny. And they infantilized her so much it was just doubly cruel, like an abusive parent telling a child they're worthless.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

Just as I expected, this was great and people are unnecessarily cynical because MCU.
It's really more of the same as the first one. It's not that one is "better" than the other, because you have to see the first one in order to appreciate the second. It's additional character development for characters you're supposed to already like.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Only Drax berates her, and it's not really intentional. She's an empath, she's the only one capable of reading past Drax's obnoxious and blank interior and see he's broken and hurt from losing his family. He grows past his problem of only looking at her surface and appreciating that she's an innocent capable of connecting with him and understanding his intentions and that he does in fact feel emotions.

Drax laughing more is also a step up from who he was in the first movie, a hard-rear end obsessed with revenge and blood lust. He's self-aware enough to laugh at how fun and ridiculous his life with these people is. Laughter connects people.

Every character is learning to look past each other's rough edges and make genuine connections to make them a family.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

But I think there's an overall problem with a movie where everything is undercut by poorly-timed irony and smarm. We get that moment where Drax quietly reflects on losing his family and Mantis feels for him, but why is everything that came before that funny? Is it funny watching someone who behaves like a child to be told they're "hideous" and have them be shown internalizing that? Are we supposed to sympathize with Drax cause he himself is dense and "doesn't know" what he's doing? Why write that? Who is this girl's debasement supposed to amuse? There are a thousand other ways you can grow Drax as a character and have him connect with someone without taking the most childlike character you could write and turning them into an emotional punching bag.

In general this movie has a major problem with pathos.

> Nebula talks about seeking revenge on her sister ... Sean Gunn pipes in with "Um...okay you have fun with that"
> Nebula saves Gamorrah ... Why? There's no emotional resonance, flatly directed.
> Peter's father reveals he killed his mother ... BANG BANG! Shoot first, ask questions later! They are mortal enemies now!

And it'd be fine if any of it was actually funny. I just don't see why Pacman or Cheers or David Hasselhoff are in and of themselves funny. I don't see why fighting giant monsters set to Mr. Blue Sky is in and of itself funny. I don't see why jokes about shoving turds in pillows is funny.

I laughed at some bits, I thought Groot with the toe was good. But overall, so much of it is just working to emotionally detach the audience from anything that might actually cause stress or suspense or sadness. The one moment in the films favor is Yondu's death. Which might be the only true moment of emotional payoff in the entire thing.

I love a good action-comedy, but it's got to give me something to hang on to.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

> Nebula talks about seeking revenge on her sister ... Sean Gunn pipes in with "Um...okay you have fun with that"
> Nebula saves Gamorrah ... Why? There's no emotional resonance, flatly directed.

Because they already punched out their problems at the planet's core, and Nebula admitted that she was frustrated and losing when they were kids because Gamora wanted to win and Nebula wanted a sister. And Gamora opens up and says she was scared for her life and didn't think about what was happening to Nebula and she's sorry. They have by this point made an uneasy peace, because Nebula's rage was always sort of misplaced and pathetic. Hell, her attempt at killing her sister is a sloppy "fly over and strafe her a bunch" suicide run- it's a joke itself because it's so frenzied and dumb. Because in the end the anger she has for Gamora is displaced. She recognizes this.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 6, 2017

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

TrixRabbi posted:

> Peter's father reveals he killed his mother ... BANG BANG! Shoot first, ask questions later! They are mortal enemies now!

Completely inexplicable. I think most people would probably just have a bit of a chit-chat about that sort of thing, rather than getting angry.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Absolutely agreed on the first one. I could feel the quip coming throughout the whole speech. To the extent that I'm "unnecessarily cynical" about the MCU, it's from a difficulty in engaging with drama that I know is going to be inevitably undercut.

But for the third one, Ego killing Peter's mother isn't just a personal affront. It's the conclusion of a speech about how Ego is the only person in the universe that matters. Ego makes it clear that he has weighed the value of human connection and purposefully rejected it. The actual line about him placing the tumor was a foregone conclusion by the time he said it. There are no questions left for Quill to ask.

The problem is the twenty minute gap between Peter realizing that his father had rejected all human connections and Peter remember his own. Everything from Peter shooting his father to Peter using his Celestial powers exists entirely to give everyone else time to do stuff, which is an issue when Peter/Ego is the central conflict.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

But I think there's an overall problem with a movie where everything is undercut by poorly-timed irony and smarm. We get that moment where Drax quietly reflects on losing his family and Mantis feels for him, but why is everything that came before that funny? Is it funny watching someone who behaves like a child to be told they're "hideous" and have them be shown internalizing that? Are we supposed to sympathize with Drax cause he himself is dense and "doesn't know" what he's doing? Why write that? Who is this girl's debasement supposed to amuse? There are a thousand other ways you can grow Drax as a character and have him connect with someone without taking the most childlike character you could write and turning them into an emotional punching bag.

In general this movie has a major problem with pathos.

And it'd be fine if any of it was actually funny. I just don't see why Pacman or Cheers or David Hasselhoff are in and of themselves funny. I don't see why fighting giant monsters set to Mr. Blue Sky is in and of itself funny. I don't see why jokes about shoving turds in pillows is funny.

I laughed at some bits, I thought Groot with the toe was good. But overall, so much of it is just working to emotionally detach the audience from anything that might actually cause stress or suspense or sadness. The one moment in the films favor is Yondu's death. Which might be the only true moment of emotional payoff in the entire thing.

I love a good action-comedy, but it's got to give me something to hang on to.

Quill's working with a pre-teen's knowledge of Earth culture. He constantly works in pop culture references that literally no one around him will understand and get, yet it's the only way for him to relate to the people around him. It's a tragic that the only way he can relate to people will never be understood by them. A lot of the heartfelt moments for him are when he gets to explain why he used the references Sam Cooke is one of earth's greatest singers and he represents love and romance; I always thought David Hasselhoff would be a good father because he was a bad rear end, and I actually did have a bad-rear end dad;. Like, you can laugh at the references, but that's not entirely the point. Except for the Zune, but even that could be a remark on how Quill will never fully be an earthling, he'll never really get that aspect of his humanity, but it's thoughtful that Yondu found it and knew it would be a good gift for his "son".

Fighting a giant monster to ELO's Mister Blue Sky isn't a joke. It's not played as a joke. Thematically, it's a song about positivity shining through the darkness. ELO was very much a sci-fi sounding rock band. It's just a joyous moment, it's telling you "This movie will be fun, energetic, colorful, but will have emotion". That's what the songs lyrics paint. Groot being more interested in music than the fight shows he's really just a child. If you want to consider the author, James Gunn has said Mister Blue Sky is very personal to him and he considers ELO to be GotG "House Band", and he wanted to make a movie about people connecting with each other and finding positivity through the darkness.

Drax and Mantis is funny because she's lived as a slave. Drax hasn't had anyone to connect with him emotionally. He legitimately thinks he's being nice and just trying to connect. Mantis is an innocent and is excited to have someone talk to her as a person. Everything Drax says is mean, but he's trying to shine through that his intention is nice. "It's good to be ugly, the people that love you actually love you." Gamora shows up and tells her "You're not ugly," and Drax is a little hurt and surprised, since he just thinks he's being honest. The abuse isn't the joke, because he's not trying to be abusive, and she's not taking it as abuse, so, how is it abuse? It's like an awkward first date where the two people like each other and are trying to say they like each other but are only saying stupid things. You can communicate things beyond the words your using.

Sean Gunn's character only has loyalty to his captain. He doesn't really understand personal vendettas, it's all about the job and the reward and using that reward for pleasure. He is not the type of person to harbor thoughts of revenge or hatred, he's pretty pragmatic. He doesn't even kill the people that killed his friends in the mutiny, he just helps his captain out of loyalty

Nebula saves Gamorrah because it's all she has. She had her as a point of revenge. Gamorrah admits "defeat" by apologizing to Nebula. Now Nebula has to face the real villain in her life, Thanos. She is a creature obsessed with blaming someone else. Gamorrah acknowledges she was a bad sister, but she's still her sister. Despite her hate and anger, she still WANTS a sister, and that's Gamorrah. If she let Gamorrah die, she'd lose any chance of what she's always wanted, a sister. It makes perfect sense.

The only person Peter had on earth was his mother (we really don't know what the deal is with his grandpa). He always thought his father might be some cool hero. To find out that the reason Peter lost the only person he really loved and had, his mother, was his father is devastating. He is also a reactionary character. It is not unbelievable for him to reach for the guns and shoot immediately out of hatred and anger. That is a very human reaction to want to hurt and destroy the person who has hurt you and destroyed what you love.

No offense, you just seem to have read everything wrong. If you can't see how someone shoving someone else's turds into a pillow isn't funny, you're just broken as a human being.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

Absolutely agreed on the first one. I could feel the quip coming throughout the whole speech. To the extent that I'm "unnecessarily cynical" about the MCU, it's from a difficulty in engaging with drama that I know is going to be inevitably undercut.

But for the third one, Ego killing Peter's mother isn't just a personal affront. It's the conclusion of a speech about how Ego is the only person in the universe that matters. Ego makes it clear that he has weighed the value of human connection and purposefully rejected it. The actual line about him placing the tumor was a foregone conclusion by the time he said it. There are no questions left for Quill to ask.

The problem is the twenty minute gap between Peter realizing that his father had rejected all human connections and Peter remember his own. Everything from Peter shooting his father to Peter using his Celestial powers exists entirely to give everyone else time to do stuff, which is an issue when Peter/Ego is the central conflict.

I view it a little differently. Ego is someone so wrapped up in his grand vision for the universe that he no longer cares about individual connections- friends, families, etc. Who needs 'em? The greater good (the greater good) is what matters.

And really the theme of the movie is how dangerous this can be- how being all singleminded can blind us to opportunities to actually create meaning through our relationships with others.

Peter still has not forgotten his family and friends, and something like "I killed your mother" can still create that instinctive "gently caress YOU!" response. That's human. That's enough to make the stars vanish from his eyes.

It's similar to how Nebula and Gamora get snapped back to reality, when they remember they're sisters and their father was the one who tried to make them kill each other, and they're not enemies.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

Fighting a giant monster to ELO's Mister Blue Sky isn't a joke. It's not played as a joke. Thematically, it's a song about positivity shining through the darkness. ELO was very much a sci-fi sounding rock band. It's just a joyous moment, it's telling you "This movie will be fun, energetic, colorful, but will have emotion". That's what the songs lyrics paint. Groot being more interested in music than the fight shows he's really just a child. If you want to consider the author, James Gunn has said Mister Blue Sky is very personal to him and he considers ELO to be GotG "House Band", and he wanted to make a movie about people connecting with each other and finding positivity through the darkness.

The one quibble I have with this scene is that the song gets cut off. I think if Gunn had really been given the time to try he could have blocked things out so that the more dramatic part of the fight would synch up with the song's trippy instrumental at the end, and then it gets exploded just in time for that final "Mister blue skyyyyyy".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
All these complex summations of the character arcs does not make them any better. It was bad. All the emphasis on the characters yet they're so cookie-cutter.

The lack of enthusiasm despite all the praise was indeed accurate of the experience.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

James Gunn fucks with tone like no one else I know. I think it's incredible. I love how I'm crying in one scene, and seconds later, laughing. I love how he can horrify me, make me laugh, and disgust me all in one scene. He's never been a director for everyone. But he's one of the few that just clicks for me, right at my core. He's weird as gently caress, and this film is like his weirdness distilled, and with a hundred million dollar budget.

I think it's funny how people rag on him for the titles like he only just tried to up the first one, when he really was trying to up himself. All of his films have these weird, goofy titles despite the world the film exists in, and it's great.

First we begin with this. The upbeat music over the horrific images. loving hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC6UVB36XyQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G2YAtFeVOM
(didnt direct, but wrote. However, this is very much a James Gunn title sequence)

I can't find SLiTHER's but it plays this upbeat, downer song over really depressing shots of the gross townspeople and it's great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJzG9OP51Ac

Super he starts to go nuts, in a good way. I love this opening. It perfectly captures how weird this movie is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwg7AHpnL6M

And Guardians is just an extension of that. It's the first numerous moment in the film, after that downer of an opening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_jRQBGKPaA

Volume 2 is just the next logical step.

Anyway, that's just a lil bit of the Evolution of James Gunn.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

Peter still has not forgotten his family and friends, and something like "I killed your mother" can still create that instinctive "gently caress YOU!" response. That's human. That's enough to make the stars vanish from his eyes.

Agreed. Peter has lived his entire life under the impression his mother died from bad luck or fate. To find out that there was a cause, that she could still be alive, that he didn't have to watch her die, and the cause was for a selfish reason, and the cause is in front of him and able to be hurt and feel pain, he's going to start shooting.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

All these complex summations of the character arcs does not make them any better. It was bad. All the emphasis on the characters yet they're so cookie-cutter.

The lack of enthusiasm despite all the praise was indeed accurate of the experience.

Counterpoint: you may just not want to enjoy the movie and have defined the characters as cookie-cutter, and so are not willing to put in the effort to look at the characters and read their arcs.

CelticPredator posted:

James Gunn fucks with tone like no one else I know. I think it's incredible. I love how I'm crying in one scene, and seconds later, laughing. I love how he can horrify me, make me laugh, and disgust me all in one scene. He's never been a director for everyone. But he's one of the few that just clicks for me, right at my core. He's weird as gently caress, and this film is like his weirdness distilled, and with a hundred million dollar budget.

I think it's funny how people rag on him for the titles like he only just tried to up the first one, when he really was trying to up himself. All of his films have these weird, goofy titles despite the world the film exists in, and it's great.

Have you read his novel The Toy Collector? It's one of my all-time favorites, and I think you would love it if you haven't read it yet.

edit: I agree that Dawn of the Dead is a James Gunn intro, but it's very much a Snyder intro, a la Watchmen (famous footage set to a folk song that echoes the themes of the situation)

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 6, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
e: nah

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 6, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Franchescanado posted:

Counterpoint: you may just not want to enjoy the movie and have defined the characters as cookie-cutter, and so are not willing to put in the effort to look at the characters and read their arcs.

Have you read his novel The Toy Collector? It's one of my all-time favorites, and I think you would love it if you haven't read it yet.

Not yet, but I will soon. I went looking for it years ago, but couldn't find it, and honestly forgot he wrote a book. Gonna get it asap.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Not yet, but I will soon. I went looking for it years ago, but couldn't find it, and honestly forgot he wrote a book. Gonna get it asap.

poo poo's gonna make you cry, son.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

I dunno, you don't think that's just a little hosed up?

No? It's really frigging cool, for the reasons I've explained.

TrixRabbi posted:

Peter doesn't even take a moment to process it before he opens fire, zapping any potential pathos that moment could have recovered

He processes it by opening fire, though? You don't need to process this dude killed my mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I can see a little apprehension when it comes to using the likenesses of dead actors, who obviously can't agree to what the filmmakers want them to do, etc., but when it comes to making old people look less old, that's just basically highly advanced makeup.

• Locked thread