Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solvalou
Aug 31, 2001

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This is all incredibly basic stuff. Vol. 2's inspiration, Man of Steel, already did all that and more. Like that scene of Kurt Russell pontificating about how he's not alone with very undynamic shots and set just reminds one how better the equivalent sequences with Jor-El and Zod were.

Holy poo poo, you're serious about this nonsense you're spewing, aren't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Soulwrangler posted:

So I know character swaps aren't as passe as they used to be but doesn't Fox have the rights for The Watchers?

Marvel and Fox share joint custody on them and several other characters.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

Marvel and Fox share joint custody on them and several other characters.
Spider-Man visits every other weekend.

SD87
Jun 7, 2011
Awesome movie. Def hit me in the feels a few times. Robot sex workers. The music was the biggest disappointment for me. IMAX 3d was dope, but fukken 20 dollhairs

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SD87 posted:

The music was the biggest disappointment for me.

Care to elaborate on that? The old pop hits are a huge part of what makes the movie work.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Solvalou posted:

You took the bait.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Wasn't Nathan Fillion supposed to be in this movie playing Simon Williams? What happened to that?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

bbf2 posted:

Wasn't Nathan Fillion supposed to be in this movie playing Simon Williams? What happened to that?

I think it was always just him being on movie posters. They may have been cut out of the movie.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I feel like tossing this thought into the void of the internet: whistle scene was incredibly unsettling. That poo poo was gruesome in the first movie, and it being an extended thing played as a spectacle in this was hard to watch.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
This movie needed one or two more scenes of the main characters walking in slo motion looking extremely bad rear end

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

bbf2 posted:

His scene was cut. I think Gunn said so a few weeks ago, or maybe Fillion posted it on Twitter.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Solvalou posted:

It's not a particularly radical opinion to note that Man of Steel is visually speaking probably the best of all superhero movies. You don't even need to like Zack Snyder to admit that he's a great visual stylist. It's also not very radical to note that the GotG movies aren't particularly good looking despite all the colourful sci-fi imagery - the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie for example looks superior (also looks funnier, as a comedy).

Also,

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Apropos of nothing, but I think it's really funny that after James Gunn divorced Jenna Fischer he wrote a movie about the workers in an Office killing each other.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dane Cook hasn't aged that well.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

kater posted:

I feel like tossing this thought into the void of the internet: whistle scene was incredibly unsettling. That poo poo was gruesome in the first movie, and it being an extended thing played as a spectacle in this was hard to watch.

You mean the knife missile scene? That's a bit of a grey area.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Shouldve played Cat's in the Cradle at the end

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

So who was Thanos wailing on during the 750 jump montage?

It was very blink an you miss it. Did anyone else notice?

Quoting for the new page.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fragmented posted:

You mean the knife missile scene? That's a bit of a grey area.

It was a joy to watch. It's been a great year for fun violence actually. Kong, John Wick 2.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

kater posted:

It was a little weird because so much of the rest of the movie had cartoon rules on killing. Like the space ships they blew up were all beep boop videogame drones and rocket defends the ships with home alone silly knockout traps. Then there is just one scene where they are massacring humans and it is weird, because it's not even like they are big villains that they built up as being actually bad or anything.

Like it wasn't some super gory scene that would have bugged me in any other movie but in this one it did seem out of left field to suddenly be killing people super casual in a movie that seemed to be on 90s cartoon "only kill robots/monsters/the baddest guy in a special episode" rules.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Be honest, did you lose a bet?

e:

got any sevens posted:

That's a song about bad dads and wouldn't apply to this movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

It's not a particularly radical opinion to note that Man of Steel is visually speaking probably the best of all superhero movies.

Even Darkman beats Man of Steel visually.

quote:

Weird, I wonder if they've ever worked together before.

Oh wait!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ya'll forgot what those Ravangers did to Yondu's crew?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

CelticPredator posted:

But even then, weren't they all Yondu's crew? It was a mutiny, but they were still supposed to be like, the same pirates from the first film. It seemed a bit odd/cold-blooded to massacre his entire crew besides Sean Gunn.

I felt weird about it too, like the first movie stayed close to "good guy rules" and this one crossed over.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah, saying they don't deserve it is pretty strange. Everyone who didn't deserve it was already thrown away.
"They killed all my friends" :(

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It was a little weird because so much of the rest of the movie had cartoon rules on killing. Like the space ships they blew up were all beep boop videogame drones and rocket defends the ships with home alone silly knockout traps. Then there is just one scene where they are massacring humans and it is weird, because it's not even like they are big villains that they built up as being actually bad or anything.

Like it wasn't some super gory scene that would have bugged me in any other movie but in this one it did seem out of left field to suddenly be killing people super casual in a movie that seemed to be on 90s cartoon "only kill robots/monsters/the baddest guy in a special episode" rules.

They're all aliens. Aliens are always part of the Robots/Monsters rule of ok to kill. You'll also notice that most of the space pirates with no prosthetics to make them freaky aliens were spaced by the space pirates with prosthetics. The most notable of the non-prosthetic aliens remaining either joined Yondu, were depicted as especially bad and killed just off screen, or were given a comedic instead of a vicious death.

Which is leaving aside that Yondu's crew of Ravagers have been built up across both films as being pretty bad guys, even if Yondu himself is a bit of a big ol' softy underneath the gruff. This movie even went out of the way to underline the divide between "cool" space pirates and rear end in a top hat space pirates before having the rear end in a top hat space pirates offed to cool tunes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is literally an extended shot showing all the crew that have been shoved out the airlock that were loyal to Yondu, which is also a helpful callback thread for the ending.

The overhead shot of the arrow flying through the ship gave me wicked Doom Map/Spectator Camera flashbacks which is not a shot I recall in a film previousy so that was neat.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That scene where the guy gets sucked out of the airlock was really rough. The effects of space plus the POV, waving goodbye shot was nasty.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

Even Darkman beats Man of Steel visually.

How so? Man of Steel is a great-looking movie. You don't like it, but to deny it's technical accomplishments is just silly.

The GotG movies are praised for being colourful, but it actually gets quite dull, and is mostly just adequate. Like here's an alien city under attack, and it looks like somebody clicked on a disaster while playing SimCity:

Even GotG2's high-lights, like the body-warping hyperspace pinball or or the arrow massacre, aren't that good. The latter for example would've been improved by dropping the pointless slow-mo walk and music.

Franchescanado posted:

Weird, I wonder if they've ever worked together before.

Oh wait!

Yes, that's my point. Now that Gunn has made a movie that bears some resemblance to a movie made by his acquaintance and one-time coworker, the logical thing is to assume that it was an influence.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 7, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The GotG movies are praised for being colourful, but it actually gets quite dull, and is mostly just adequate. Like here's an alien city under attack, and it looks like somebody clicked on a disaster while playing SimCity:

(The matter isn't helped by GotG1's terrible blu-ray transfer; the movie already doesn't use colour well, so a lot of the movie ends up being murky.)

Yeah, I looked into this and it's not true. When you posted screen caps in the comic book movie thread, they were all met with a chorus of "Wow, I remember this movie looking a lot brighter in theatres!" and they're right. I went and checked out the scenes you capped on Netflix on an actual television and the difference is literally night and day. Everything is brighter, the colours pop, the contrast is better. There's some fuckery with computer screens, as far as I can tell. I'm sure someone more technologically knowledgeable than me might be able to explain it.

EDIT: The same was true with Thor, too.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 7, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, I looked into this and it's not true. When you posted screen caps in the comic book movie thread, they were all met with a chorus of "Wow, I remember this movie looking a lot brighter in theatres!" and they're right. I went and checked out the scenes you capped on Netflix on an actual television and the difference is literally night and day. Everything is brighter, the colours pop, the contrast is better.

Yeah, it was unfair that way. It's definitely better, but it doesn't really cover for how uninventive the movie's visuals and their underlying story are.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 7, 2017

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
Zach Snyder is an awesome visual designer if you think the clarity filter in photoshop is the raddest thing to ever exist.

Also, I'm Mary Poppins Y'all is life. Yondu 2020

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Quoting for the new page.

I don't think it was him, I think it was just two random aliens fighting on a random planet.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gyges posted:

They're all aliens. Aliens are always part of the Robots/Monsters rule of ok to kill

It feels less that I'm shocked they killed them, and more like the movie felt like it went SO far out of it's way to make the sovereign absolutely not die in the space battle and then had rocket, who is a total psychopath only use fun traps when defending the ship. So it felt really suprising when suddenly they kill like 50 people really casually.

It's like if there was a gi joe episode where they are blowing up planes and always showing the parachutes coming out then there was just some random scene where they shoot xamat in the face and he dies or something.

SD87
Jun 7, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

Care to elaborate on that? The old pop hits are a huge part of what makes the movie work.

I think it is just because in the first one the songs that were used are more known than the ones used in the second

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
It was a fun, cotton candy film. Except for a few standout moments (Mantis feeling Drax's loss) it felt like a Universal Studios theme park ride.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
They had an entire guy whose Thing was pulling levers. Big levers, small levers. Upside down action sequence levers. Pretty weird.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
Maaannnn Yondu :( Best part of the movie. Please bring him back some how.

So, it took me a minute to realize what bothered me about this one and it hit me...it didn't feel like it moved the whole MARVEL story. At all. It was a bunch of amazing little scenes, one after another, that didn't really feel like they connected in the big picture.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Tommy 2.0 posted:

So, it took me a minute to realize what bothered me about this one and it hit me...it didn't feel like it moved the whole MARVEL story. At all. It was a bunch of amazing little scenes, one after another, that didn't really feel like they connected in the big picture.

This is a good thing.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

got any sevens posted:

I legit thought this was the song that started playing over the final battle until the lyrics kicked in and I felt like an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

"Even" Darkman?

• Locked thread