Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Has the latest Opinium result came out? I did that one last night but holy poo poo were there a lot of questions about Jeremy Corbyn's suitability compared to Theresa May

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I'm fairly confident that reminding someone that they will be called to account on their claims (even if they did occur a whole six weeks ago) during a general election is well within those rules.

I figured as much, I just heard a few people missed that post and wouldn't want anyone in this thread to leap into their favourite pastime with too much gusto, in the spirit of future reference

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm still kind of surprised just how bad the tory manifesto was. like even if you think it will be a landslide loving hell

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

jBrereton posted:

It wasn't regardless of your preference, the preference bit was in there in the context of who do you want to be in charge. That might have been what was meant, though.

See the post above yours. That was the question asked, they misreported it

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/870028284712685570

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jBrereton posted:

explain the phrasing otherwise (although the tweet has been deleted?)

I can't, but I find it highly improbable that only 7% of the electorate wants Labour to win an election.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Love thornberry to bits

lol @ the scraps of Britain's knockoff version of the alt-right trying to kek up uk politics in the comments

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
It's also worth pointing out that going into the day YouGov had the 2015 GE at 34-34 (vs 30-37 actual result) so an estimate to compare the current figures to the 2015 figures would be more like 41 Lab to 40 Con after methodological changes. And apparently the methodology behind the seat prediction model was internally tested on Brexit and showed leave winning.

edit: 34-34 not 33-33

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Jose posted:

imagine a left wing leader who hadn't had mp's constantly denigrating him in the press for 2 years . The funny thing is if his current polling is correct then they definitely get the blame for loving it all up

Eh, those in the bubble of the Labour right are firmly ingrained in the habit of "everything bad is due to Corbyn, everything good is despite him", so they think that Labour would be all set for a landslide right now if Owen Smith had won.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jose posted:

i'm still kind of surprised just how bad the tory manifesto was. like even if you think it will be a landslide loving hell
I was thinking that this election would be like the 2006 UEFA Cup final where Middlesbrough got spanked 4-0 by Sevilla, but actually its more like the 2005 Champions League, except after half time AC Milan immediately score 3 comical own goals to let Liverpool back in the game.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

OwlFancier posted:

I can't, but I find it highly improbably that only 7% of the electorate wants Labour to win an election.

If it's "regardless of preference" it's not "people don't want a labour win", it's "people don't think it's likely". We've been told for two years Labour can never win, it's not surprising people believe it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/TechnicallyRon/status/870045144237703168

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

spectralent posted:

If it's "regardless of preference" it's not "people don't want a labour win", it's "people don't think it's likely". We've been told for two years Labour can never win, it's not surprising people believe it.

Yes I gather that's what they changed it to.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gorn Myson posted:

I was thinking that this election would be like the 2006 UEFA Cup final where Middlesbrough got spanked 4-0 by Sevilla, but actually its more like the 2005 Champions League, except after half time AC Milan immediately score 3 comical own goals to let Liverpool back in the game.

We were robbed of a penalty.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pissflaps posted:

We were robbed of a penalty.

it all evens out in the end

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Like the expectations of Boro fans this will probably all go down in flames.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Like the expectations of Boro fans this will probably all go down in flames.

lol if you think we have any expectations at this point

UKMT or Boro fans, take your pick.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 31, 2017

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

kustomkarkommando posted:

The EU lost patience with Switzerland in like 2012 over the complexity of the bilateral arrangement has been engaged in an argument with them over free movement for the last few years - I don't think they have an appetite for an a la carte 100 treaty relationship with the uk

The Masseneinwanderungsinitiative was massively stupid but because the Bundesrat is actually competent, they agreed on a superficial compromise and nothing really changed. There was a referendum to limit immigration from EU countries that passed, the federal council sat on it for a bit, then went to Brussels and agreed with the EU that they could "meet" the referendum result by passing a law that allowed Swiss employers to prioritise Swiss residents, which has no real impact because the trade unions negotiate minimum wage on behalf of all residents, not just Swiss citizens, and life went on.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Apparently Lynton Crosby has now been placed in sole charge of the Tory campaign, with only the PM not answering to him.

Although practically of course, she answers to him too.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

lol if you think we have any expectations at this point

In the words of the woman comforting her child towards the end of James Cameron's classic 1997 movie 'Titanic', "it will all be over soon"

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

jabby posted:

Apparently Lynton Crosby has now been placed in sole charge of the Tory campaign, with only the PM not answering to him.

So if anything, it'll be more attacks on Corbyn and Labour next week.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Just thinking about the moments leading up to the exit poll announcement on the BBC gives me the shivers. I cannot wait for election night.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

jabby posted:

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Lord_Adonis posted:

Does anyone here think that, should Labour win, they will be able to quietly put the Brexit process to bed by some political sleight of hand? I for one certainly hope that this talk of ''respecting the referendum result'' is simply an electoral tactic, and that with regards to the EU, sanity will be resumed with a Corbyn victory- after all, a sufficiently bad Brexit is likely to sink Labour's manifesto spending pledges when the pound tanks, trade deficit widens, inflation rises and tax receipts plummet.

It's going to be quite a poisoned chalice if, by some miracle, Corbyn does win. It'll tarnish the legacy of the left just as badly as if he had lost, when people blame the left for all the inevitable Brexit woes to follow.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

jabby posted:

dead cats, dead cats as far as the eye can see

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

jabby posted:

This is good news. I hope he sinks May like he sank Goldsmith.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Just thinking about the moments leading up to the exit poll announcement on the BBC gives me the shivers. I cannot wait for election night.

Please don't have a Jeremy Corbyn hategasm

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Where's parliawint when you need them

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Pissflaps posted:

Sorry mate, I've had a glass of wine and I can't quite tell whats what. What do you mean by this? You are looking forward to your worst fears being confirmed or something?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New thread is up. Let the fun begin :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Where's parliawint when you need them