Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Spangly A posted:

the tories are selling turkey planes you dumb gently caress

Come on, there's no need to be like that.

Dabir posted:

You weren't going to anyway.

I would vote for Labour if they weren't led by total idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

Every time I see a YouGov polling survey I get really annoyed, because that's another 50p I haven't got. Instead I get endless polls on my coffee shop preferences.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The Tories are shite. May is hopeless. Their campaign is garbage. Their Brexit position unravelling.

And they're going to walk this election.

Imagine what could have been if Labour had even a half way decent leadership team instead of the shower of shite its lumbered with.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

knox_harrington posted:

there really is though

you poo poo your pants at seeing a flag, assuming it means something it pretty clearly doesn't, and claim this is Labour Bad. But actually selling weapons to the regimes you care so much about wouldn't bother you?

What, are you going to vote green or something?

knox_harrington posted:

I would vote for Labour if they weren't led by total idiots.

Please don't confuse "really crap at leading a political party" with bad policies. Labour have great policies. They're just led by people really bad at stage-managing national level politics. The party that are really good at this stuff are literal child rapists with a 25 year record of worldwide failure behind their economy.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Do any of the polling companies ever have a census or something, where we can see the demographic they're using for polling?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Polls like this are quite clearly an attempt to influence public opinion, not measure it. It asks basically the same question as popularity, but tweaks the wording to match other parties attack's on Corbyn.

That isn't to say Corbyn isn't unpopular, just that there's no reason to suddenly change the question being asked (which means you can't compare it to any previous polls) unless you are trying to influence the result.

Pissflaps posted:

The Tories are shite. May is hopeless. Their campaign is garbage. Their Brexit position unravelling.

Imagine what could have been if Labour had even a half way decent leadership team instead of the shower of shite its lumbered with.

Alternatively Labour is on course to do basically the same as the last two elections except the Tories have been gifted with large numbers of UKIP voters thanks to Brexit.

jabby fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 1, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

kecske posted:

Do any of the polling companies ever have a census or something, where we can see the demographic they're using for polling?

All BPC members release data tables for their published polls so you can see the breakdown of how different types of people are answering.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

There's quite a lot of need, actually

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Spangly A posted:

there really is though

you poo poo your pants at seeing a flag, assuming it means something it pretty clearly doesn't, and claim this is Labour Bad. But actually selling weapons to the regimes you care so much about wouldn't bother you?

What, are you going to vote green or something?

Please don't confuse "really crap at leading a political party" with bad policies. Labour have great policies. They're just led by people really bad at stage-managing national level politics. The party that are really good at this stuff are literal child rapists with a 25 year record of worldwide failure behind their economy.

Your personal attack kinda makes you the pantshitter.

Seriously campaigning as a communist is tone deaf and alienates a huge swathe of the population. There is no way Labour can make an impact on the election without appealing to the Guardian reading Islington sector. I'm a left leaning voter but listening to McDonnell I am basically his enemy - there is no-one for me to vote for in this election.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

knox_harrington posted:

Oh wow a loving tone argument

knox_harrington posted:

. There is no way Labour can make an impact on the election without appealing to the Guardian reading Islington sector. I'm a left leaning voter but listening to McDonnell I am basically his enemy - there is no-one for me to vote for in this election.

You claim to be a public services worker, McDonnell offers you more than any leader of any political party in years

that you can't see this isn't tone deaf, it's me having no idea how to get through to you other than "jesus christ you are frustratingly determined to gently caress yourselves and coworkers over"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"I don't think this will appeal to my perception of the general public so I must behave like my perception of the general public and not vote for it" is a very silly position.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
Guess what, Parliament is all about undermining the opposition and blaming them for failing to achieve things they cannot possibly achieve.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/07/28/labour-voters-blame-ed-miliband-not-policy-electio/

First it was Ed's fault, now it's Jeremy's. But before this it was Michael Howard, and before that it was IDS.

It's not the only factor at play but it's a big one.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

knox_harrington posted:

Boo loving hoo someone said something about you that you don't like nobody cares

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

I'm a left leaning voter but listening to McDonnell I am basically his enemy - there is no-one for me to vote for in this election.

So you're left-leaning but you also don't think there's a problem with capitalism?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

Seriously campaigning as a communist is tone deaf and alienates a huge swathe of the population. There is no way Labour can make an impact on the election without appealing to the Guardian reading Islington sector. I'm a left leaning voter but listening to McDonnell I am basically his enemy - there is no-one for me to vote for in this election.

John McDonnell is not going to ask you to starve to death in the street. That's a fairly important distinction from the other major party in this election, and one that's especially pressing with a hard Brexit looming. Seriously, the Conservatives are going to put millions out of work and then either let them die or enslave them (let's cut the bullshit about what workfare really is). There are few things that rank as a higher priority than that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Haha 69

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

So you're left-leaning but you also don't think there's a problem with capitalism?

Left-leaning in the sense "I'm actually right-leaning but I don't like the sound of that so I tell everyone I'm centre-left"

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

knox_harrington posted:

PM me if you'd like some techniques for coping with being on the receiving end of personal attacks. I can help.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The technique is be creepy in PMs.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Down with communism, said the "left wing", somehow.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

How would you know you don't have PMs.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The pms would be better if he had a good sig

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Theresa May is a creepy PM

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

J_RBG posted:

Theresa May is a creepy PM

u sure about that?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Barry the Sprout posted:

Every time I see a YouGov polling survey I get really annoyed, because that's another 50p I haven't got. Instead I get endless polls on my coffee shop preferences.

Same.
I don't drink coffee so those tend to be really quick None Of These answers to all of it, and yet they keep asking.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-transgender-candidate-mp-sophie-cook-general-election-a7712286.html

A Labour Party candidate standing in the forthcoming general election could become the first transgender MP in Parliament’s history.

Sophie Cook, an RAF engineer turned TV presenter, will contest the seat of East Worthing and Shoreham, which has been held by the Tories for two decades.

The 50-year-old equality campaigner, who has three children, began transitioning in 1998 but only came out in 2015.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I don't really fancy her chances, that seat has never really been in play even when Loughton was hit with scandals.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Ah the sex number, very nice.

Also:

https://twitter.com/BrianElects/status/859135427432853504

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
As far as I know, the out trans candidates running this time are Helen Belcher (Lib Dem, Chippenham), Aimee Challenor (Green, Coventry South), Sophie Cook (Labour, West Worthing), and Zoe O'Connell (Lib Dem, Maldon). Of those, only Helen has a reasonable chance of winning; Chippenham was a Lib Dem seat during the coalition.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

TinTower posted:

As far as I know, the out trans candidates running this time are Helen Belcher (Lib Dem, Chippenham), Aimee Challenor (Green, Coventry South), Sophie Cook (Labour, West Worthing), and Zoe O'Connell (Lib Dem, Maldon). Of those, only Helen has a reasonable chance of winning; Chippenham was a Lib Dem seat during the coalition.

Reasonable might be overstating it, the Tories won with a majority of over ten thousand thanks to the Lib Dems loving themselves and their voters over.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

jabby posted:

Reasonable might be overstating it, the Tories won with a majority of over ten thousand thanks to the Lib Dems loving themselves and their voters over.

Zac Goldsmith had a majority of 23,000.

I think the Tories are odds-on to hold onto Chippenham, but it could happen; nearly all of their council seats in Wiltshire are in Chippenham constituency.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer

knox_harrington posted:

Not supporting Assad, not believing in communism and not in favour of "fomenting the overthrow of capitalism" are not that weird.

If you can look at capitalism and not think "yeah we need something to replace this" you either don't understand or you're a monster. Pick one. Money on you being a monster.

Pissflaps posted:

Imagine if the UK population wasn't utter garbage? You keep voting Corbyn for the entirety of Britains ills and I'll blame the gobshite public for making GBS threads in their own bed.

If May is so plainly poo poo as you say, what excuse does anyone have? They don't have to vote for May just because they don't like Corbyn. They could vote for another party or not vote.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 1, 2017

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Sometimes I look at May's polling as a strong leader and wonder what the gently caress would happen if the conservatives ever did have an actual charismatic strongman as leader.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

Sometimes I look at May's polling as a strong leader and wonder what the gently caress would happen if the conservatives ever did have an actual charismatic strongman as leader.

They lost in 1945 iirc

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

If we're going to do alternate history fanfiction can't we do something interesting.

I'm going to imagine the Soviets just kept going after Berlin and the world is now full communism.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

"and never wrong"

And loving never wrong
What kind of question is this

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

"and never wrong"

And loving never wrong
What kind of question is this

The parody sort.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

loving Brian.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/thepileus/status/859122057598128129

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The flags were a bad photo op but I don't think anything McDonnell said was actually that extreme.

• Locked thread