Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
In the actual spirit of International Worker's Day

Bertrand Russell posted:

The idea that the poor should have leisure has always been shocking to the rich. In England, in the early nineteenth century, fifteen hours was the ordinary day's work for a man; children sometimes did as much, and very commonly did twelve hours a day. When meddlesome busybodies suggested that perhaps these hours were rather long, they were told that work kept adults from drink and children from mischief. When I was a child, shortly after urban working men had acquired the vote, certain public holidays were established by law, to the great indignation of the upper classes. I remember hearing an old Duchess say: 'What do the poor want with holidays? They ought to work.' People nowadays are less frank, but the sentiment persists, and is the source of much of our economic confusion.

The fact is that moving matter about, while a certain amount of it is necessary to our existence, is emphatically not one of the ends of human life. If it were, we should have to consider every navvy superior to Shakespeare. We have been misled in this matter by two causes. One is the necessity of keeping the poor contented, which has led the rich, for thousands of years, to preach the dignity of labor, while taking care themselves to remain undignified in this respect. The other is the new pleasure in mechanism, which makes us delight in the astonishingly clever changes that we can produce on the earth's surface. Neither of these motives makes any great appeal to the actual worker. If you ask him what he thinks the best part of his life, he is not likely to say: 'I enjoy manual work because it makes me feel that I am fulfilling man's noblest task, and because I like to think how much man can transform his planet. It is true that my body demands periods of rest, which I have to fill in as best I may, but I am never so happy as when the morning comes and I can return to the toil from which my contentment springs.' I have never heard working men say this sort of thing. They consider work, as it should be considered, a necessary means to a livelihood, and it is from their leisure that they derive whatever happiness they may enjoy.

In Praise of Idleness, 1932

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Guess what, Parliament is all about undermining the opposition and blaming them for failing to achieve things they cannot possibly achieve.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/07/28/labour-voters-blame-ed-miliband-not-policy-electio/

First it was Ed's fault, now it's Jeremy's. But before this it was Michael Howard, and before that it was IDS.

It's not the only factor at play but it's a big one.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Mark Blythe has a great quote about how the greatest trick liberalism ever pulled was convincing the world it was the only game in town

If you like this, you should read 'Capitalist Realism' by Mark Fisher.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ewan posted:

This is a fun thread.
tldr: someone revealed a Labour candidate Trevor Merralls (@TrevorMerralls) previously called for the eradication of muslims (at that time he used a different Twitter acct @wellingblueboy). Bryn Phillips, a Labour community organiser and occasional Guardian "contributor" is breathlessly tweeting away saying it's a smear, photoshopped, lies, not the same guy, etc, despite people showing him:

a- the original tweet from @wellingblueboy is archived on web.archive.org
b- Bryn himself tweeted last year that the user of @wellingblueboy account is Trevor Merralls
c- The Tweet in B STILL EXISTS:

But he still says it's fake

https://twitter.com/Bryn__Phillips/status/859370453403672577

Utterly bizarre.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

The funniest thing about those tweets is if you watch the video of Merralls' speech, he clearly is a racist.

--

https://twitter.com/daily_politics/status/859375471468789760

Worst day for Labour so far. No wonder May hasn't bothered campaigning. What is the point of this guy giving this interview?

LemonyTang fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 2, 2017

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I'd prefer if police didn't have to use foodbanks, because police being poor and desperate has (in international studies at least) shown strong links with corruption.

I'd also prefer if nobody else had to use foodbanks, because people being poor and desperate has shown strong links with crime.

I think those two might do more to reduce crime than more officers.

After that I think the best things we could do to reduce crime in the long view are free high quality preschools, environmental lead reduction, promoting reliable family planning, and trying not to be a safe haven for financial crime.

I'm not sure that any of those policies would prove popular outside of the first one, because the populist view seems to be that crime exists because criminals, and only by locking/beating/stringing them up in sufficient numbers can it be reduced.

A good post.

Poverty is the root cause of many of societies ills. Excessive greed being the other big one.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

JFairfax posted:

this is prob worse than abbot's gaffe

Wrong, there is nothing worse than incompetence. The Tories are the right government for this country because although they are undeniably evil, at least they are efficiently evil.

- the British public

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Theresa May is stamping her personal branding all over the campaign because she is the most autocratic PM in recent history, and we have had some pretty autocratic PMs. We're slipping down the road to an elective dictatorship. She refuses debate, she detests dissent. In her video posted in the thread, she talks about 'My party, my candidate.' It's both her personal popularity and her personal style. She wants to secure HER mandate for Brexit. She will completely own the government in the next five years. May is an authoritarian. "It can't happen here", apart from the study (which is awful) in the OP which showed that 25% of the population are "ethnic nationalists" and 25% of the population aren't far off that.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

mediadave posted:

it seems like it's for ongoing future EU expenditure. But, whatever you think of Brexit*, surely when the UK leaves the EU then, well, that should be the end to UK payments to EU programmes?

(*Disclaimer, against Brexit, genuine question)

Option B is unilateral abrogation of our outgoing payments, which would surely prompt the same from the EU. A likely consequence would then be widespread disruption and damage to a significant number of business enterprises, research projects, e.g. what would happen to Horizon 2020?

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

AP posted:

EdStone

Seems longer than two years.

"Polls tied"

A lifetime ago!

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Are we sure John Woodcock isn't the chap quoted in that Guardian report?

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Looke posted:

Hmm

This is bad for Jeremy Corbyn

Actually bad for us all

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

I enjoyed this video a lot. Well delivered.

And yes - that's not an official Labour twitter. It's momentum ran though?

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It can also collide two trains with a closing speed of over a thousand miles an hour if it loses vacuum, a failure mode even Southern can't replicate.

I think you'll find mutually assured destruction has been a hallmark policy of the British government for sixty years.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

If you're in for self-flagellation, you can follow the Council election results here: https://twitter.com/britainelects

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

The Mayor of Hereford is standing as an in Independent this year, for my constituency.

https://www.facebook.com/jim.kenyon.7/videos/10158465457330198/

Amazing.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

This is a disgrace. Absolute stupidity.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Labour's Party Election Broadcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz--_LkzbII

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

http://www.chathamhouse.org/livestream

Chatham House posted:

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn will outline the key national security and foreign policy positions upon which the Labour Party will contest the country’s general election in June.

Blasting the military-industrial complex. Yesssssssss.

Actually been a really good, forward-thinking, reflective vision for foreign policy. May well be very welcome when contrasted with Trump.

LemonyTang fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ohhhhhhhh Jeremy Corbyn

• Locked thread