Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

knox_harrington posted:

Not supporting Assad, not believing in communism and not in favour of "fomenting the overthrow of capitalism" are not that weird.

2/3 of those are objectively good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

Don't even get me started, loving immigrants are the worst, they come here and steal our jobs, eat our houses, buy our food, drink our polluted air, and they don't integrate! They should all get deported! Tories will build a great wall around the country, vote Tories.

* is immigrant *

I'm not sure I like this new direction for you.

e: 10, the house number in Downing Street where Corbyn will be living starting mid-June.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Is this from that Pepsi ad?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Yeah okay but what is his LEGAL NAME?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Ewan posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/may/03/how-do-britains-highest-earners-feel-about-their-income

“Due to the vast absolute difference among the 1%, top income earners experience ‘relative disadvantage’,” the report, A Relational Analysis of Top Incomes and Wealth, states. “They are disadvantaged compared to others at the top, while being aware of their advantage compared to the general population.”

A senior investment banker, who earns hundreds of thousands of pounds a year, said he “just doesn’t feel particularly wealthy” compared with other parents at his children’s private school who, he said, were sitting on £100m-plus family fortunes.

“I feel like I’m fairly well off and I earn multiples of the hundred thousands,” the banker told a researcher from the LSE’s International Inequalities Institute. “But I feel very poor in the context of the classmates [of my children] ... Their parents can spend a lot more time with them, because none of them really work, or some of them work but it’s working on their own terms: they might run a hedge fund but they can take the kids to school.

The unnamed investment banker said earning a few hundred thousand “does not feel that great”.

The investment banker said £100m was a lot of money – but “not a ridiculous amount of money”. He told the researcher he was “fairly confident” that a driven and passionate individual could “start from zero and get to £100m within 20 years”.

Boohoo the poor 1% and their relative disadvantage

gently caress off. Holy poo poo capitalism is terrible, people are terrible, Giant Meteor 2017.

MikeCrotch posted:

This should be put up as the ultimate indictment of capitalism, in that the bourgeois suck all the capital out of society and are sitting at the top of hierarchy yet they're still loving miserable.

A correct opinion.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

Apart from all the other awful poo poo i'm horrified that 20 years isn't a long time to these people. Oh don't worry you can be rich! In 20 years! Your best years will be behind you, you know the ones when it's most fun to have a lot of money. But you can buy a yacht and do that think where you put coke on a bit of a prostitute and smoke her or something? IDK. 20 years is a long time. A lot of otherwise healthy people will be dead in 20 years. Are these people liches? It's yes isn't it. That's the secret.

I am willing to go out on a limb and say that very if any people are capable of going from 0 to 100m within 20 years. Mostly because at 0 you're still wondering where your next meal is coming from and where you sleep tonight.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I'm from Israel and applying for Portuguese citizenship! Same Spanish Jew business. This was gonna be my way to stay here with my partner, but Brexit's kinda loving it up. I'm not a trained architect but I want to work for charity orgs so hopefully you'll still have me, fellas.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/MrSteerpike/status/860074687224852482

there is no such thing as individuality

all shall become appendages of May, servants to Her will

thus hath She spoken, thus shall it be

I live there, the entire campaign here has been CORBYN BAD MAY GOOD also your current Labour MP didn't take care of that trash business in camden what gives??? It's a 1k majority for Labour, so it's probably not going to go well despite the tories' lovely campaign.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

Well that campaign at least proposes a solution to Corbyn bad. This tread can only manage the first bit.

I think you'll find that in fact corbyn... Good?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

awesome-express posted:

So um, after 1.9 years of legal back and forths, one appeal, and countless thousands of pounds spent, I have apparently just been granted UK citizenship. Just got off the phone with my lawyer. This dirty EU person is now allowed to legally moan about the weather and complain about everything. :yaycloud:

Omfg I'll be able to vote in the upcoming general election.

Congratulations, I hope that when I get around to my application it won't take as long..

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

awesome-express posted:

Thank you. I had a non-standard background of opening companies and travelling a lot to generate investment for said entrepreneurial ventures. Getting consistent p45s/p60s was nigh impossible, topped with a very complex travel history, created the legal conundrum that I was stuck in.

If you're interested, I can introduce you to my lawyer who will help you out through this process.

If you're still posting here in a couple of years sure. My process might be a headache yet due to multiple visas that keep changing, but either way I'm not at 5 years yet so here's hoping. Appreciate the offer either way!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

TinTower posted:

In Greater Manchester, UKIP's candidate, the ultra-Orthodox rabbi Shneur Odze, got absolutely spanked. Finished below the English Democrats.

Good, very religious people shouldn't be in government unless they can keep their beliefs away from it, and I haven't seen anybody who can.

e: and he's a kipper? loving what. I mean, it makes perfect sense for a Rabbi to be a kipper but holy poo poo what a combo.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

hakimashou posted:

France just shamed britain, but it's a valuable lesson you can learn a lot from.

Centrist politics is alive and well, you don't fight the far right from the far left.

France and all of Europe and the whole of the democratic world breathe a sigh of relief tonight that Le Pen wasnt running against a French Corbyn.

gently caress off, you're a racist genocide apologist.

Hexyflexy posted:

I've gone from sleeping on friends sofas to earning quite a bit (by total fluke, studying paid off at loving looooong last). When I tell anyone that I want taxes to go up, they either laugh at me or think I'm making it up. If you taxed me an extra 10%, It'd just take a bit longer to do what I want to do, and at the same time it'd help a whole bunch of people. Which is pretty much what I want.

My parents basically :what:'d at me when I told them I wanted 100% inheritance tax.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Again I feel like I have to point out that I got ripped off, I'd take S Club 7 over Tim Farron any day. Could've at least given me the milk picture.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Since we are on the subject, does anybody know if people who work for foreign states in the UK are bound by uk employment law for their contracts and such, or by the state they work for? For example, can a contract for the equdorian embassy staff be illegal by uk standards if it's legal by equdorian standards? I haven't been able to find anything on it, and it's a very important issue for a good friend of mine.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

It's not about the Ecuadorian embassy, I just didn't want to give away the actual one. Does it being a permanent posting matter? No embassy staff is permanent, and in this case the contract gets "re-signed" every year by both sides so I'm not sure which way this goes. The reason I'm asking is that the contract straight up ignores a load of UK employment laws (and ones from the host country, but that will be much harder to bring to court in the host country), so I was wondering if he could try to get some improvements in working conditions via UK law. Mostly stuff like time spent working, zero hours bullshit with an added minimum shifts per week only on his side (so he has to work 8 shifts a week, but if he's only given 3 that's also fine), amount of holiday/sick leave, etc.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Well, this won't be a problem in two years! Anyway it has some other blatant illegal poo poo in it such as a prohibition on unionising and an appendix that I managed to get removed saying women were not allowed to get pregnant while they were working there

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I think they're considering talking to unite to see if they can help, but a lawyer is obably the safest bet and I've told him as much. It's mostly a money issue.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

TACD posted:

I have no idea if your friend's situation is the sort of thing they can help with but it's at least worth looking into Bar Pro Bono and LawWorks.

I'll pass it on, thank you.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

There's a UKMT redtexter with a very strange awesome sense of humour.

fixed that for you

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

where will the gulags be located?

Yarl's Wood

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

So is nobody gonna call out that the deadline to say what the new state pension age is has passed? I mean, since the tories haven't said anything it's basically bound to go up (and also because tories) and they're just not gonna say anything until after the election. Nobody's even gonna bring it up? What a joke.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

A good manifesto, definitely heading in the right direction.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Dunno about the uk but some places have a 2 year gap for nonverbal charges around the age of consent, so a 17 year old dating a 19 year old is fine, but not a 21 year old, etc.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

When I was 16 I was a complete loving idiot with very strong opinions, it took me at least 4 years to become a regular human.

Same, except it also took the army shoving that poo poo in my face for me to become a human being.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

sassassin posted:

Everyone thinks they've got "correct politics". That's not a qualification.

Yeah, but some of us are correct and tories are wrong.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Lol are people really that liberal in this thread that they want literal school children to vote?

There is no discernible difference between the maturity of a 16 year old and a 15 year old, so why don't we let 15 year olds vote as well? But that also goes for 14 year olds so it's a vote for them too, but hey not much difference between the 13 year olds and 14 year olds so off to the polls you go second years. Not first years though, God they are like only just out of primary so what would they know about life and poo poo?

Wow, an honest to God vagueness/arbitrariness argument outside a metaphysics lecture.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

Just how many of the UKMT regulars are computer touchers anyway?

I'm touching one right now!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

ukle posted:

The rumoured companies already lists like a whose who of European companies, although none other than the NHS in the UK. Its odd it seems to be only European companies that have been hit but the scale is looking colossal if the rumours are true.

We must Brexit quicker!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

jBrereton posted:

I do not understand why the moronic collective of Tom Watson, Ken Livingstone and Tony B aren't out of the party yet tbh

Tony Benn is dead

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Don't really know what you were expecting at M&S. Posh dogs sounds about right for them. Do your shopping at the Co-op

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Coop own brand posh salt and vinegar crisps phwoah what an experience

Coop own brand stuff isn't bad and gives me loads of money back, plus a tiny bit to charity which I like. They also have the nicest cashiers, followed by sainsburys

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I would vote for this manifesto.

I was just gonna say, these are winning policies.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

On the other hand the people left would be ideally positioned to create survival focused communes.

Can we do it somewhere where it's a bit hotter though?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

Southern UK climate is perfect to be honest, it just needs a lot more sunny days. It's cloudy way too often.

I think this is the opinion of a lot of people who come from actually hot countries, and it's correct, but the people who live down here don't appreciate it enough.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Evil_Urna posted:

Arrived at what? Antisemitism?

Everyone in here calling Hakimashou a Nazi when you right here are slamming on Jews?

Hi, I'm an Israeli Jew. Criticism of Israel is not antisemitism. Go gently caress yourself.

Evil_Urna posted:

I don't know. I am sure people at the Bataclan, in Nice, in Brussles, in Paris, in the metro in St. Petersberg, at the Berlin Christmas market, on the bridge in London, and at the pedestrian mall in Stockholm all though Terrorism was pretty scary. But they were prob just centrists or reactionaries.

Terrorism is frightening on an individual scale, yes. On a state level, it doesn't threaten any European country at the moment. Also, unless you were at any of those places, please don't speak for people who have actually experienced terrorism first hand, alright? It's disrespectful to everyone that has.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

Prepare to hear about self hating Jews.

Mate, this is half my life. I'm just waiting for that glorious moment when someone here calls me a quisling.

I love it when people who don't know poo poo talk about terrorist attacks, what with all their extensive wikipedia searches on it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Evil_Urna posted:

So we just let people get run down and shot up until it reaches an acceptable body count then we do something about it? What do you tell the families of the dead in the meantime? "Sorry about your entire family getting pulped under the tyres of a semi, we could have stopped it but not enough people had died yet"

Thanks for ignoring my posts!

The actual answer is to sort out the underlying issues that cause people to do this sort of stuff (poverty, racism, etc.) while, unfortunately, suffering the loss of life that the state has brought on itself with lovely foreign and domestic policies. Yeah, it's lovely, but you're not gonna solve this sort of stuff by doubling down on misery (see: Israel)

OwlFancier posted:

Resources would be far better allocated to any of the myriad things that kill shitloads more people every year but which nobody reports on because who cares about poor people dying because of underfunded healthcare that doesn't sell papers.

Also this, put that money into the NHS, better training for drivers and road works which kill far more people, etc.

Why aren't you worried about what we're telling all the people dying from, frankly, stupid and completely avoidable issues like NHS underfunding and bad roads?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

hakimashou posted:

Which you have to 'count' unless you want to just play pretend.

Right, so let's vote in a government that won't do that. That Corbyn fella seems like a pacifist, maybe he'd do?

Also go gently caress yourself you genocide apologist. This is a friendly reminder that hakimashou thinks that you shouldn't try to challenge current power structures if you can't win, and if you do and die, well, that's on your own fault for not accepting your life of slavery/second class citizenship and trying to do something about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-finally-accepts-brexit-10424465

So that's Labour lining up in support of a hard Brexit and the loss of all single market benefits then.

Well, we're hosed. Only possible silver lining is that they somehow get into power and then don't follow through, which is about is likely as a modern european nation state collapsing under the weight of middle eastern terrorism.

• Locked thread