Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

OwlFancier posted:

Considering that the UK is at a substantial low in terror attacks since the northern Ireland peace agreement, I'm surprised more people aren't numb to it to be honest. It's been much worse for much longer.

We didn't have 24 hour rolling news and everyone carrying a camera in their pocket then. Plus the news media didn't want to propagate a lust to carpetbomb Belfast back to the stone age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

Jo Cox? Or that Norwegian fucker?

Yeah, I assumed Breivik. Who would be the second-largest on that map.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

Correct. The media (other than maybe The Sun) don't really have an agenda other than making money. Every single thing they do is informed by that goal. Even the Mail just really caters to its audience.

And to continue to make money, they have to create a narrative where the consumer trusts that particular outlet more than others. An easy way of doing that is by repeating a message over and over until the consumer believes it.

See: "Immigrants are the problem!" "Maybe immigrants are the problem, the Daily Mail is telling it as it is!"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

https://twitter.com/sirrogermoore/status/867005447018086400

We've lost a Bond :(

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I blame evolution, for making homo sapiens sapiens happen. Big error.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Look, we've been kicking this guy for years and he keeps trying to hit back, so we have to keep kicking him or he'll hit us back.

This is how we stop wars.

Don't forget kicking every guy who looks like the guy we've been kicking for years, just in case! This definitely won't backfire.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Do other country's threads get this? People popping in to gloat when something bad happens?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

kustomkarkommando posted:

Aren't there still dues paying communists itt

I mean, I'm not paying dues.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

buckets of buckets posted:

Doesnt matter if you do the neo libs work for them in terms of propaganda. Makes you more or less a card carrying member, except you dont get rich off this poo poo

Do you know what words mean?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Just to be clear for the Americans in-thread who don't follow UK news at all: the only person in the UK killed by Islamist terrorism between the 2005 bombings in London and the Westminster attack earlier this year was Lee Rigby in 2013. Unless you count Khalid Ahmed who killed himself but no-one else in the Glasgow Airport attack I guess. That's one death over 11 years.

These incidents are incredibly isolated and in no way can be used as justification to put a million people in camps or to call for a "final solution".

Jesus Christ, even I thought it was more than that :psyduck:

It just proves how good the media is at making it feel like we're constantly under attack.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

namesake posted:

Never forget.

I can't even approach the number of pints that man has presumably been bought.

Hero.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Hoops posted:

Spoons is spoons, but Greggs is so criminally underrated. Not like the steak bakes and that, everyone knows what's up there, but if you want a tuna mayo baguette it's literally half the price of any of Pret or Eat, etc.

Greggs ham and cheese baguette is the true king in exile. It's like a quid for a foot of utilitarian sandwich.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Tsietisin posted:

The cheese and onion pasty is heavenly though. Those I could every day.

Especially when you get them fresh and they blister the inside of your mouth.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/867118950685003776

Well that's not foreboding at all.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I want to see one of Morrissey's old feuds be the one that comes back to bite him.

Like Robert Smith. Who wouldn't want to see The Cure just beat the dogfuck out of Morrissey?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

TheHoodedClaw posted:

The gently caress is that terrible, terrible, delicious looking thing?

Not Only Will This Kill You It Will Be Delicious The Whole Time You Are Dying

Thanks Ants posted:

Thanks UKMT for the Greggs not Krispy Kreme tip, will have to grab a box to take into work

Go for the fudge ones. They'll give you diabetes but you'll agree it's worth the tradeoff.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

HJB posted:

I interrupt the current round of Wrong Opinions to bring you Kippers going straight for the jugular:

"She won't commit to protecting our fishermen from future Brussels controls".

Congrats, UKIP, you've managed to get the one loving thing Theresa May WILL commit to wrong.

(e): 221: Liu Bei, Chinese warlord and descendant of the royal family of the Han Dynasty, proclaims himself emperor in Sichuan and establishes the Kingdom of Shu Han. It's how the Romance of the Three Kingdoms starts!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Actually that happens in chapter 80 of the book.

Yeah but that book is DENSE and to be brutally honest, my main understanding of Rot3K comes from Dynasty Warriors.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

That tweet can only be described as Hotfuzzian.

Speaking of which, there's a lot of PCSOs hanging around Glasgow city center today trying to look like special forces. No, standing to attention outside the big Pizza Hut doesn't mean you're a Real Policeman.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Cerv posted:

hang on a minute, the police reform act 02 didn't apply to Scotland. when did they get community support officers north of the border?

Maybe not the same nomenclature, but fairly sure they weren't proper police anyway.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

radmonger posted:

This kind of stuff is why 'foreign policy causes terrorism' is simultaneously true, and also weasel-worded bullshit.

foreign policy is a meaninglessly large category. Even focusing on Libya, which seems to be this guys issue, it still says zero. It may well be that Blair's foreign policy of supporting Gadaffis repressive regime that trigger d him. Or it may be Cameron's of invading, or May's of doing little or nothing, Putin's of bombing the gently caress out of everyone, or whatever Trump is up to this week.

Or maybe it was something done in the 1930s, or the 19c.

Foreign policy causes terrorism, yes. But there really isn't a foreign policy that doesn't.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, your theory amounts to "Throw our hands up because Islamic terrorism is just fated to happen, c'est la vie."

(e): The Horten Ho 229 was a prototype fighter-bomber designed for the Luftwaffe until the fate of all fascists befell them.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

...is this what happened to the Manchester Arena bomber?

He visited Libya, so yes.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

My headcanon is that they welded pontoons to their toyotas and sailed there.

Watercaliphate is a solution that neither side has considered enough, to be brutally honest.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

In most videos I've seen of an ANTIFA protest online it is always the ANTIFA people that come off looking much worse.

Antifa don't advocate genocide. So there's no way they possibly come off worse.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Added trousers. Which one's the second one, Conquest of Bread and the original Communist Manifesto are both easy reads.

I'd say ComMan. It's an easy read, and is obviously a pretty central tenet.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Man I feel like we need a good times leftist reading list too. Is it the foreword of Open Veins that talks about leftism needing to be vibrant and positive so people want to be a part of it and create a powerful movement? What are the best books depicting leftist ownage

Is Beevor's "Stalingrad" too on-the-nose? :v:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Kippers reach a new high/low for eye-swiveling.

https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/867695157453434880

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

ronya posted:

it's not, you know, a puzzle why pub-owners might like the idea that there might be fewer on-licenses

The Just World fallacy extending as far down as pubs. "Everyone else will close down, but I won't!"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

For a brief moment I thought that was a 118% obesity rate.

Well, they ARE big.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Rakosi posted:

My man, the UKMT bedwetters association will have already reported the first post I made so it's coming anyway.

Then why not gently caress off before a mod has to chase you out with the gently caress off broom? Be the bigger man and get to utter gently caress under your own power.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Party Boat posted:

No.

The vitamin D one is though.

The tipoff is that UKIP would actually be big fans of Certain People wearing yellow stars :godwin:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

Hahahah direct democracy. The country will be a smoking wreck within a year.

If we get to the point where UKIP are enacting direct democracy, I don't know about you guys, but my write-in suggestion is "Turn Trident On Ourselves".

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I think the Optimally Hilarious result is if they reduce their majority.

Or get exactly the same.

Reducing their majority is the best Realistic Comedy Option. Especially since this entire ramshackle clusterfuck has been coming off like the Tories called the election without knowing they were going to call an election.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

TACD posted:

What, Mark's mate out of Peep Show?

No, that's Usborne. Do try and keep up.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

Is this a genuine Corbyn/Labour bounceback we're seeing or are the polls going to turn out like they were in the last general election?

It appears you've not taken a good, soul-searching look at the Hope Is A Lie plaque for a while.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

TheRat posted:

He really does have an unfortunate face, doesn't he?

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/868063612757319680

He constantly looks like someone's digging a gun into his back.

Was the #fightback just taking him hostage?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

Hey man I'll have it if you don't want it.

That's how a collection starts.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Rakosi posted:

I think they're just comparing Islamist terror to other flavors of terror, not what qualifies as terror compared to mass murders or something.

Why? What purpose does that comparison serve?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

Imagine being a Lib Dem in 2017. Imagine supporting that jibbering chimp as party leader.

"We need a leader to drag us out of the mire of having broken our backs to support the Tories. I know, let's appoint the guy who looks like he's constantly realizing he's left the oven on."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

number one pta fan posted:

Plenty to criticise him on except 'he looks weird', which isn't how political discourse should operate.

His entire party's purpose is to be indecisive, wishy-washy and banal.

Also he looks weird.

• Locked thread