Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wow another candidate going for the UKMT vote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The flags were a bad photo op but I don't think anything McDonnell said was actually that extreme.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That is similar to Labour's performance in 2015 and the current polls, we'll see if it gets better over the coming weeks.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That certainly sounds like something a human being would say.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

One big bombshell that represents two different things

Pissflaps posted:

More from that poll earlier:

So half of people intending to vote Labour are only prepared to do so for as long as labour winning the election seems unlikely. Because of Jeremy Corbyn.

In other words, if labour were somehow able to increase their 28% poll share to an election winning position of, say, 40%, they'd immediately lose at least 14% of those who say they'll vote for them.

Jeremy Corbyn is uniquely toxic to the electorate.
Your reading of that question is wrong and it's also a very strange question. The respondents are not saying "I would not vote for Corbyn if I thought he could win", just that "likely defeat" makes them more likely to vote. The fact that these respondents feel a greater need to vote Labour when facing defeat in no way implies that they would not vote Labour in any other scenario.

To take a simple example: I think it is more important to vote in an election when there is a credible threat of a fascist taking power, and I might express that opinion by saying I am "more likely to vote" in that scenario. That does not imply that I wouldn't vote in the event of there being no fascist threat.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If you won't vote for a Labour government aren't you not a Labour MP in any meaningful sense?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

For all Hillary's faults at least she had it together enough to win a primary election against a radical outsider. I honestly hope the Labour establishment has spent a bit of time thinking about how it can contest leadership elections with ideas and decent candidates, rather than submitting terrible ones and complaining at the party members for making the "wrong choice" afterwards.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Well I'm convinced. I'll start printing the "We ❤ Cox" t-shirts.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

AP posted:

They should draw straws for the next Labour leader imho.

At least they'd be sure to do better than Corbyn.
They already tried that and Owen Smith lost.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

mediadave posted:

Corbyn didn't resign after losing overwhelmingly a vote of confidence. gently caress even Thatcher resigned after WINNING a vote of confidence.

If he doesn't resign immediately after a terrible election defeat, it's fair to assume he's never going to leave voluntarily.

In which case, i expect the large majority of Labour MPs to jump to the Co-Operative party or whatever. I honestly don't know who would want to stick around for whatever Corbyn and McDonnel have planned.
Maybe they could try winning a vote instead?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Hey remember when ESA existed to help flatten educational attainment between classes, the FJF existed to help people coming out of uni who couldn't find work, and Sure Start existed to help people with kids? Truly a worse time than nowadays.
Blair did good things but he also lied to lead us into a war of aggression. Even if you forgive him for that the wider public has not.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

This thing is demonstrably happening but I think it's silly. Therefore it is not happening.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean we already have milquetoast liberals in this country. They consistently do much worse than Labour, even Corbyn's Labour.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Do leaders ever say they'll stand down after losing an election before it happens? I don't think Miliband did and Cameron said he'd stick around to make Brexit happen.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think that's really an option for Corbyn because the question would just be asked again and again making him look increasingly ridiculous if he refuses to answer. It works if the interviewer is prepared to just move on.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The attempts to purge the party last year seem to have opened Pandora's box, now people are going to keep getting expelled for stupid reasons.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Corbyn wants to win this election and so do his followers.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

What's wrong with nationalising, besides the neoliberals spitting out the usual garbage e.g. "state-run companies are inefficient, it will generate deficit, we need free market and austerity"
It's popular and something Labour should definitely be running under even if they move back towards the centre in future.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

A lot of people are stupid, or at least devote so little thought to politics that they are effectively stupid when it comes to voting. The point of democracy isn't for all voters to be super smart, it's for them to express what they think is in their interests. I think 16 year olds are perfectly capable of doing that, and they are in fact possibly the age group that will be most profoundly affected by government policies.

I also think it would be a good thing if people could vote in sixth form, that way you have a chance to get them properly engaged with politics so they can make better decisions in future.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Having animals ripped apart for entertainment is bad IMO.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

learnincurve posted:

I'm not pro-fox hunting, but the ban has had a hugely negative effect on the fox population in the country . Idiots on horseback were doing that thing where the weakest died and the population was being kept under control. farmers were not allowed to go out and kill them all because biffy and the lord of wankershire must have their fun. The c/hunt was banned and farmers simply go out and shoot every fox they can find, because foxes are nasty little shits who will shred any lamb they can get hold of, often leaving them alive, or kill a whole hen house full of chickens and just take one.

Derbyshire could have told them that would happen, one of the Dukes of Devonshire who have traditionally been decent old boys who don't treat people like poo poo, didn't like fox hunting and banned it on his land (most of Derbyshire) because he thought it was barbaric, not just for the foxes but because horses are liable to lame themselves on dry stone walls. We have very very few foxes.

It's what happens when you are hell bent on winning voters over as quickly as possible without listening to the civil service, and giving them time to come up with a solution.
I don't see how this is a problem unless foxes are in danger of extinction. They're pests and I'm fine with farmers using efficient, humane methods to control their numbers. It sounds like if anything the fox hunting ban has made that easier to do.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Even if you think Corbyn isn't to the left of Miliband he was certainly to the left of his alternatives in the first leadership contest. They were all going in on the 'we will cut just as much as the Tories but we'll do it in a nicer way, promise' line.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Tory policy of harsh punishments that are irrelevant because the police don't have enough resources to catch anyone.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wasn't this ransomware basically just a general virus that happened to infect some NHS computers due to them being very out of date? The amount of damage that someone could do with a directed attack on the NHS, either to steal sensitive data or by intentionally shutting down hospitals until a ransom is paid is truly terrifying.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It doesn't seem like that big a news story tbh, especially compared to Hunt being completely AWOL during the NHS hack.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think you can really blame this one on Labour at all. When they were last in power XP was still a supported operating system.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

He's not even in parliament. Does he even want to get back into politics?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Seats with big majorities in theory could still be in danger and worth campaigning in, particularly ones that previously had a big UKIP vote.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You're registered to vote at a particular polling station in a particular consistuency. When you show up they ask for your name and tick you off.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hoops posted:

Metal, anime, student politics, monty python and blackadder, Jeremy Corbyn, computer games.
I would vote for this manifesto.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

IDK I think the main news story from that might just be how she swore. The ambush was sweet though.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 14, 2017

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Americans in "more right-wing than the British" shocker.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Corb's policy guys are really good and I hope they can stay on in some capacity.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The strikes are happening under the current government, not Labour.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

My uncle works at Labour and he said that Corbyn is going to lose his seat.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wait so the lib dems would increase taxes for literally everyone rather than targeting at all? Am I reading that right?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bape Culture posted:

1p all round seems quite good vs 50p for some. I quite like the look of lib dems idea.

Not a fan of the new referendum.

Also I'd like to see someone tackle integration rather than just say how many immigrants they'll take.
50p is the new band, not the change in what they're paying. The thing is people earning over £80k can afford 5-10% more taxes on the part of their income over that far better than those at the bottom of the income scale can afford 1%.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

It's amazing how tories proposing a policy can make labour partisans pro huge inheritances:
https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/865135032297500672

Tbf she campaigns for Kate hoey so she's an extreme on the partisan scale
The way they're doing it is unfair and I think feels particularly mean. It's valid to point it out because it may discourage some of their voters.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Alternatively, get the Labour vote out so this can be emblematic Tory madness which caused their fall from grace, to scare the right wing with for a generation to come.
Yeah I think May is getting too complacent between kicking the poo poo out of her core voters and the fox hunting vote that no-one outside of the safest Tory seats wants. It could depress Conservative turnout at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Can't you just make showing your pollcard necessary if you're really worried about impersonation fraud?

• Locked thread