Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rime looks pretty neat and I'm digging its art style. But I am holding off on any indie/smaller game that is on the Switch in case I get one in the next month or two.

I guess Zelda is kind of owning that style for the time being though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well if you put it too low, you get this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63kThhPyrhg

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

For 1500 I would want an NPC in the game itself and 2-3 pages of fanfic in a text box that the player must read to continue

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh, NBA Playgrounds comes out May 9. I'm hoping it has some of the Jam magic and is not just a cheap cash-in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIeXzgUa-go

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The first turning point was when the people who grew up with the Golden Age of Simpsons took the reins and it became an echo of itself.

The second turning point was when the people who grew up with THOSE Simpsons took the reins

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am continuing to enjoy Bayonetta even though I keep getting told I am complete garbage. Considering Bayonetta's personality I guess it's a good fit.

I am on Chapter 6 and still cannot afford the parry accessory

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

Getting stone rewards on your first playthrough is normal, as is being too broke to afford accessories.

That's good to know. I guess coming from Metal Gear where you literally cannot get past the early game without parrying, having that be a late unlock seemed strange to me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdG4ZLCnwho

This might be one of the best years for Music in games, between this and Nier, and Dropmix when that comes out.

I don't think this is actually in the game?

I think with a few exceptions Nier uses the music to amp up its gameplay and storytelling more than Persona does, but I'm a week out from finishing Persona and its soundtrack is still all I have been listening to throughout the day

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ahhhh drat finally not having cable is biting me in the rear end. I really wanna watch this.

Might do that "ahhhh what the hell this is nothing like I imagined it would be based on my read of the book!!!! Bullshit!" thing... but I like the concepts from the book enough to give it a shot for sure.

You can stream it online from Starz ($8/mo). I'm going to wait until June and just binge on it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

it sounds that way, yes, but if you want to watch it digitally on STARZ, you need to provide proof of subscription from your cable provider :v:

gently caress em, get it from amazon.

You can directly subscribe to Starz streaming from their website without getting cable involved. You have to pay the same fee on Amazon so it's not any different

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I got a gold award in Bayonetta, maybe there's hope for me after all :unsmith:

This is a really good game. gently caress, am I going to have to get a Wii U

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Personally I only get that multiplayer rush from 1v1 games, once teammates are involved then it's impossible to analyze the full extent of why you won/lost. I also think listening to grown men become upset over Mumble because their video game waifus are dying is about the most pathetic thing all of in human existence.

Yeah but in 1v1 games you can't deflect all your failings onto random strangers, permanently forestalling any chances of personal growth

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, 10 people stuck in the same game for 40+ minutes is really a deadly combination of people + time.

When I was in college, the dorms were into Dota. I once played a match with them and did all right, but a friend of mine was super into it and his roommate fed the enemy team pretty badly.

After the match was over my friend was berating and yelling at his roommate for literally 10 minutes, Full Metal Jacket style, so everyone in the hallway could hear.

"DON'T GO PAST RIVER" is still a joke a decade later

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

MOBAs are basically someone going "What if we took Sartre's No Exit and turned it into a game"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean, trash talk is generally a part of competition and has been for ages, it's just that when you're playing with people you somewhat know and will likely play with again, people know the boundaries of what's acceptable; when it comes to randos on the internet all bets are off. And directing it at your opponents is definitely different from tearing down your teammates

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lakbay posted:

And with his friends.

FAK please play a game with randos against other randos and watch your opinion change

Or better yet, play other cool games with your friends, that would probably be a better route.

That said, if a group is having fun vs AI MOBA more power to them, they're not hurting anyone, which is more than I can say for many Dota players

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I witch the world of Wisher 3 wasn't so unrelentingly pessimistic and bleak. I mean I get it that that's their thing, a medieval fantasy setting that doesn't overlook how bad medieval times actually were for 99% of the population, but it's a bit exhausting that half my quests end with someone dying miserably or losing their home or whatever.

oddium posted:

here mute the music and play this in the background all the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhLL9JHfLcM

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I liked the post someone made in this forum that the 4 lines of the Engine Blade story in Nier:A told FF15's story better than all of FF15

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think BioWare said that like over half of Mass Effect players didn't even touch the customization options so they went with the default male Shepard.

If your game has a character customizer, it should have no defaults. Make the player either actively choose something or get a random character

That also reminds me there was some survival game (Rust I think) where you do get a random character, and there were people complaining when they rolled a female character and couldn't change it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The 15 hours I spent customizing my Oblivion character (and then only spending less than 10 hours before getting bored with actually playing the game) kind of broke me from getting too much into character customization, but I appreciate having a lot of options

CJacobs posted:

This resulted in people getting a lot of random hate from bad people and disliking the game because they were called slurs because their character turned out to be black so it's a real stupid idea

If at least one person learned something from being given a skin color they couldn't change and receiving hate for it, though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I actually know nothing about Rust except that thing so I don't know if it adds to the experience at all.

Oh, and I remember reading another story about a guy that got "enslaved" because a bunch of other players forced him to labor at gunpoint and he didn't want to lose his character so he did what they told him to do

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/OhPoorPup/status/857131811717222401

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Today I discovered that they taught an AI to play Go and it's pretty good at the game.

On the one hand, neat!

On the other hand, I can't figure out why this is more significant than any other game with AI players? ...Call me uninformed but I can play chess against a computer, so why should this be significant?

"There are more possible positions in Go than there are atoms in the universe. That makes Go a googol times more complex than chess."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Wow gee thanks Witcher for shoving this weird violent life-threatening beating of a likeable young lady in this fun sidequest about helping my friend renovate his bar. I was almost enjoying myself and feeling a sense of whimsy, phew.

Yeah, that was such a big swerve for me that I was like, what the gently caress (and it gets grislier), especially considering that the main quest that opens that up is also filled with goofy stuff

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

BioShock Infinite has some of the worst shooting mechanics in a AAA game that I can't even begin to diss the story because gently caress playing that poo poo. Half the guns are useless and mesh terribly with the upgrade mechanic. The melee kill cutscenes completely kill the flow of combat. That ghost fight is completely monotonous garbage. I have heard people complain about games having bullet sponges but 100% of Infinite's enemies are that. You run up and shoot a normal unarmored cop in the head with a shotgun and they flinch a little and lose a third of their life bar -- on normal. Also shooting a robot in that game is one of the worst-feeling effects in a shooter, like they somehow added a bunch of polish to a completely disconnected Full Sail project with no understanding of game feel

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also the best mechanics they could add for a sidekick with the ability to open portals to other dimensions... Is that she can root through trash to give you items and maybe make platforms appear. Ugh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Like I get that "the world is hosed up and unfair and bad things happen constantly" is sort of Witcher's thing but this is just like, bad shock value writing to me. It's like if the Malo Mart questline in Twilight Princess ended with Malo being brutally murdered by a bokoblin.

It's really like they went Law and Order SVU in that quest, it really is out of step with the rest of the game even if there are some interesting developments in there. I don't think I had such a negative reaction to any other quests, though, so perhaps it's all uphill from there?

I think later on as you actively work to change things and meet up with your friends the game gets less dour, I remember feeling more uplifted by the end than anything else

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There has been a lot of retconning in the Mario lore, I learned in the past week that the Koopalings (Iggy, Wendy, etc.) are no longer considered Bowser's legitimate children because of the existence of Bowser Jr.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oddium posted:

they try to warn you about the tower ghost at least

I royally hosed that one up, which made me go look online to see if there were any other ways to mess up, and uh, I am kind of glad I did even if it meant spoiling things for myself

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think you have to have seen all the ghost vignettes to get the options for "no I'm not going to trust you." Also Geralt has a line that nothing that is cursed should be taken from its place so

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Everything in Fallout 3 was lame. Remember the vampires? Remember the town of obnoxious kids?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

The new Flintstones rules, though.

Holy poo poo I just looked this up and it's amazing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Harrow posted:

In a lot of cases, the fairy tales the Witcher series draws from were pretty hosed up to begin with and only became childish with retellings as we decided maybe telling children stories with that much murder in them wasn't the best idea in the world.

Weirdly, I think Witcher 3 wallows in its misery less than Witcher 2 did, though Witcher 3 definitely comes out of the gate bleak as hell (especially the whole Baron storyline). It morphs into a much more optimistic heroic fantasy later on, though a couple of the side quests (like the one you recently encountered) dip back into the "Everything sucks and there's nothing you can do about it" well.

Yeah I don't think there's anything remotely as bleak in Skellige and that even features a major massacre as a plot point. (I guess there might be a way to totally bork the investigation quest?)

But Novigrad takes you to some dark places. Forget it, Geralt, It's Novigrad

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Snak posted:

Now find that video that shows what the last act was supposed to be like with concept art and unfinished cut scenes. It's really cool.

I didn't care much about that storyline and wouldn't really miss it, and it would feel anticlimactic after the beats that Act 2 did hit

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oddium posted:

the opening song on the radio is a cover :ocelot:

Period-appropriate, too!

Listening to The Man Who Sold the World and really processing the lyrics was the moment I was convinced that Kojima was inspired

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Palpek posted:

Thanks, I just changed TW3's thread title to this.

I did really like how TW3 managed to have three distinct areas with their own feel without any of them seeming too out of place in this one contained region. Velen is very much the mire and muck of low medieval fantasy and mysticism, whereas just to the north Novigrad almost feels like you're in a film noir with wizards, and then Skellige pushes towards more of a heroic fantasy without totally abandoning the pragmatic/realpolitik world of the Nilfgaardian invasion which ties everything together

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Eh, I couldn't really give a poo poo about unanswered lore questions, all the character arcs that were interesting to me had played out by the time I was done with it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Desperate Character posted:

my mind is unable to comprehend the art of rolling sausages

oh god you have to return back to your starting position to win the level

I love puzzle games but stephens sausage roll is giving my brain indigestion :negative:

I have solved exactly 0 puzzles in this game. This has basically erased any feeling of intelligence I had after getting all of the achievements in The Witness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Final Fantasy 8

• Locked thread