Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

• Story Thread
  • Spreadsheet
  • Recruitment Thread
  • IRC: #personag (irc.synirc.net)
  • Dice Roller: orokos.com (please use the Persona G:eist campaign tag)
  • The base dice expression for Orokos should be Xd10o10h8 where X is the amount of dice in your dice pool. Change o10 to o9 or o8 as appropriate for 9-again and 8-again. Add "ro7" for rote action.

Expectations
  • Communication - Players should keep in communication inside and outside of the game. IRC is good for this, but in general always be talking and sharing with each other your thoughts. It’s a collaborative story game. One option, especially for one-on-one conversations where you and the other player are busy or not in the same time zone, might be to use a collaborative Google Document to detail out a scene together, and then post at its conclusion.
  • Metaknowledge - I firmly believe that using metaknowledge (that is, player knowledge over character knowledge) to advance the story is usually a good thing. It stops being a good thing when used to hinder another player or override their own direction. Planning relationships and sharing information outside the game is fine, but that is player knowledge, not character knowledge. Character knowledge only includes what is posted in the thread (there are no “secret actions.”)
  • :justpost: - You don’t need to write a novella for each action, but you also shouldn't just post a single line of description. It’s good to have a sweet spot of flavor and mechanics, but sometimes you get rushed, or have some inspiration and want to flesh out something, so it’s cool. Because this is a PbP that relies on everyone taking their turn, I'll move on with prompts every 72 hours or so. If you are going to be out for a bit, let someone know.
  • Tone - We are aping the milieu of the Shin Megami Tensei and Persona series of video games on the whole, with a few additional influences, taking on a splatterpunk aesthetic along with a retrowave horror movie mood. Profanity is allowed to be a bit freeer, there might be nudity, and the blood runs like rivers. The thing to keep in mind for all of this is that it's stylized. You are encouraged to come up with new and more extreme ways to eviscerate Shadows, but it's more a punch, than a twisting. It shouldn't be lingered on but flashed for shock, and the level of menace is de-escalated by the camp and kitsch elements of it.
  • Comfort - I'd like to know as the game begins what boundaries or possibly triggering scenarios would be for you, or even just matters that you'd find distasteful. Don't worry or feel reticent, I have my own hard lines I don't like crossed, and because of that, I want to respect that of my players. I'll only ask this once characters and players have been picked, but have that in mind. There are some limits: Any sexual content should be implied, rather than explicit. Prolonged torture and grotesque mutlilation is best not described in every gory detail save briefly for the initial shock as needed.

The Play is the Thing
  • Sessions to Chapters - The concept of a Session is replaced with an Chapter, which is more just when I open the chapter, and then when I close it. Generally I'll use it to shift the narrative slightly, open up to a new scene, and I'm also fond of "cut-aways" to give the players a glimpse at what's happening elsewhere, that their characters may not be privy to (yet). After all this is a thriller. An Story is still an Story, spanning from 1-5 chapters in an arc.
  • Player Facing - As a general rule there will be no contested rolls save between players, and very rare cases against potent NPCs. I will try and provide circumstantial modifiers for all roll so you can both roll and then post the basic result, and add your narrative twist (see Agency below). Hit me up on IRC or Skype or PM if you have an idea in mind you want to check modifiers for, or just suggest it in your post and I'll provide. When against antagonists, I'll provide you their basic stats as well, to keep things well oiled.
  • Circumstantial Modifiers - Remember that, equipment and bonuses from powers included, the maximum cumulative bonus you can have to a single dice pool is +5 beyond its base dice pool. Likewise, the maximum penalty you can have is -5. The one exception to this is the use of Willpower.
  • Initiative - First is more a general rule than the actual mechanics of initiative, but whenever I provide a prompt, it's fine to continue posting and expanding on each other but general don't take more than one major action (that would constitute a roll or the like) until everyone else has taken an action, or 48 hours has passed after the prompt at which point I'll generally move on to keep things rolling. Thrillers are about sharing the spotlight where everyone should strive to contribute fully to the group, though it's fine to actively take a backseat sometimes. In combat, we are not using the Initiative rules as such: It will go Player Turn, then Enemy Turn. Everyone gets one action, and then all Enemies get an action, unless specific rules (like the Insane Tilt) signal it, and it will be my discretion whether Enemies or the Players go first (based on circumstances). Same rules as above for getting skipped within 48 hours.
  • Agency - I'm a "yes, and" Storyteller when I can help it, and I fully encourage you to add details to scenes, spin up stories and connections, and draw things together. If you want to recognize the someone as an old acquaintance, give him a name and a bit of personality if it hasn't been established already, please do. The only limit is that if it gives your character an advantage, it should be a function of a Merit or some kind of roll. As well, take care to not contradict what has already been established already, not just myself, but more especially other players. Everyone should get an equal chance at making the story.
  • Fourth Wall - This thread blends the nature of the fourth wall. There will be vignettes and role-playing taking place in the Velvet Room here. You can always ask questions of the residents or as the game progresses use them for certain mechanics, which will generally be introduced in IC ways. You can still make OOC posts and notify us of when you'll be absent or ask for clarification, but you're encouraged to embrace the audacity of the whole thing and do that as much in-character as possible. We will keep the IRC channel for mostly OOC chatter for this reason.

Le Grimoire du Couer (Game Hacks and House Rules)

:c: Thread Music: The Poem of Everyone's Souls

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rogues Gallery

Social Links

Places to be...
... The Shimokita Seven-to-Seven
... CIVIC-TV shop for VHS rental and trade
... Seitoku High School
... Jikai Hospital
... Kongou Temple
... Yakumo's Garage
... Nakao-san's Hovel
... The Church Office of the Heavenly Smiles

Remember this well...
... A false choice shall be presented in diversion.
... A plan will fail due to one, crucial flaw.
... Society will abandon our Heralds in due time.
... The Star Arcana carries a Doom with its Fate.
... When it seems all hope is lost, it will get worse.
... A partnership will fail spectacularly.
... Someone is hiding how they truly feel, until the worst possible moment.

But even so...
... Your harmony will drown out the world's discord.
... Accepting death will help life to grow.
... You have to make your own luck.
... No matter how much it hurts or how hopeless it feels, keep going forward.
... The sun will still rise, even after all hope is lost.
... Rely on each other to push through the darkness.
... This fortune favors the bold.

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 15, 2017

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
:d: Scene: The Velvet Room, aboard the Karon Maru (Everyone)

The enlistment ceremony has been completed, and somehow consciousness drifts in and out, until you come to consciousness once more at the bridge. Captain Walton is once again at the helm, while Igor sits in his console towards the back, but there are many places for one to be, and place themselves, perhaps even now custom-made for the personal image and heart's desires of the guests. Where do you find yourself on the bridge of the Karon Maru? Describe to us your station as we open the story, along with your new uniform to come with it, as you are now truly drafted into a conflict that you will begin to understand in time.

It is Igor that speaks first. "Allow me to explain the rules of the Velvet Room, as you are all now appointed guests of. The first is that you will not remember anything discussed within this room, save as a premonition or dream. Even should the world change because of your actions here, your cognition cannot conceive in reality of such a place between waking and dreaming. The second is that whatever actions you take in reality cannot be taken back, even if time and causality have no meaning in this place. You can discuss different futures, and even out of sync with the events as they transpire, but in that world time marches on. This is why you can enter and discuss here at any point, as you are always dreaming at some point in time, and use the services that I can provide as a proprietor, which shall be available at a later time. Third, and final, should you die in reality, your cognition shall be present here, giving you an opportunity now that you have paid the ferryman's toll to return to life, though you may have to pay a new price to do so, even though you know the way."

At this, Igor settles back into his chair, with a soft sigh. "All of this excitement, it is a truly remarkable voyage we are about to undertake. I hope you can agree to these terms, as now that you have made a contract, this place is as much yours as it is mine." He chuckles at this. "I look forward to great interest in us pursuing this destination together, at the behest of our captain here." These words carry a particular resonance, deepening in where he stands, and suddenly all of you feel a moment in time shift, and words heard, the same voice that you heard during that vision (though perhaps Kokoro does not recognize it, as it did not visit her before)...

When this vision fades, Igor seems quite surprised, in his delighted little way. "Now this is interesting indeed. Never in all my years have I see this turn first. Perhaps, my guests, we share a special bond indeed. I shall explain in due time the power of the Touchstone. For now, I believe there are more pressing matters to discuss, but as ever, I am bound to answer truthfully any questions you might have of me. But I should think that you all have just as many questions of each other..." His eyes flash for a few moments, as he leans in further.

Indeed, while all the memories of the previous guests of the Velvet Room had been washed away, new memories came in their place. Memories of a shared life together between all of you, working or orbiting this same boring convenience store in Shimokita. Most importantly however, is the fact that you are at least known acquaintances. Perhaps not all close friends, but you have spent enough time with each other to be familiar, with one reason or another, surrounding the biweekly Fright Night on Sundays where all of you have visited on one occasion or another with varying degrees of regularity. Why are you fascinated with horror movies? You have to bear some of it. Even if you are there of some obligation, there is a connection that cannot be denied. What sort of role do you play in the group, and why is it important to you? Even if you do not admit it, it has some attachment for you.

Perhaps now as well is a good time to discuss your fellows. Give us your impressions of the other Heralds that have been chosen by any means you think is best. It is best perhaps to consider the parts where you click more than conflict, though there will certainly be that. These early days will demand much work. Discuss what kind of specific relationships you might have with each other before our story begins. None of you are likely that close or intimate, as this is more an irregular social gathering, but you are attached enough that as the end of the world approaches, these are the bodies you will be huddling with to marshal your power. There are other things to discuss as well, such as the other people in your lives other than each other, but one thing at a time, shall we?

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 1, 2017

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Name: Chiyoko Satou
Concept: Bored suburban divorcee/The worst customer
Threshold: The Stricken
Fate: The Empress
Virtue: Righteous
Vice: Arrogant/Hateful

Attributes
  • Mental
    • Intelligence ●●
    • Wits ●●
    • Resolve ●●●
  • Physical
    • Strength ●
    • Dexterity ●●●
    • Stamina ●●
  • Social
    • Presence ●●●●
    • Manipulation ●●●
    • Composure ●

Skills (Specialties)
  • Mental
    • Academics ●
    • Computer
    • Crafts
    • Investigation ●● (Going up the Chain)
    • Medicine
    • Occult
    • Politics ●
    • Science
  • Physical
    • Athletics ●●●
    • Brawl
    • Drive ●
    • Firearms
    • Larceny
    • Stealth
    • Survival ●●●
    • Weaponry
  • Social
    • Animal Ken
    • Empathy
    • Expression ●●
    • Intimidation ●●● (Shouting)
    • Persuasion ●
    • Socialize ●
    • Streetwise
    • Subterfuge ●●●● (Shifting the Blame)

Merits
  • Vice-Ridden ●●
  • Resources ●●●
  • Allies ●● (Other bored housewives)

Keys
  • Chill-Wind
  • Phantasmal
Seals
  • The Dirge
Fetters
Ceremonies
  • Ceremony Name (Dot Rating)
Mementos
  • Memento Name (Type, Key)

Health: 7/7
Willpower: 4/4
Plasm: 7/14
Speed: 9
Defense: 5

Psyche: 1
Synergy: 9
Anchors
  • Anchor ● (Kaede Yakumo)
  • Anchor ●● (Kenji Suzuki)
  • Anchor ● (Momoka Ueno)
  • Anchor ● (Igor)

Aspirations
  • Short-Term Aspiration: Re-establish herself as independent
  • Short-Term Aspiration: Start a ballet school
  • Long-Term Aspiration: Gather more supernatural power to prove herself dominant
Passions
  • Humiliate someone younger than you.

Possessions:

Experience:
Beats:3

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 15, 2017

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

quote:

Name: Kaede Yakumo
Concept: Obedient Daughter
Threshold: The Forgotten
Fate: Devil
Virtue: Dutiful
Vice: Conformist

Attributes
  • Mental
    • Intelligence ●●
    • Wits ●●●
    • Resolve ●
  • Physical
    • Strength ●●
    • Dexterity ●●●
    • Stamina ●●
  • Social
    • Presence ●●●
    • Manipulation ●●●
    • Composure ●●

Skills (Specialties)
  • Mental
    • Academics ●
    • Computer
    • Crafts (Automotives) ●●●●
    • Investigation
    • Medicine
    • Occult ●
    • Politics
    • Science ●
  • Physical
    • Athletics ●
    • Brawl
    • Drive ●●●
    • Firearms
    • Larceny
    • Stealth
    • Survival
    • Weaponry
  • Social
    • Animal Ken ●
    • Empathy (Motives) ●●●
    • Expression ●●
    • Intimidation
    • Persuasion ●
    • Socialize ●●
    • Streetwise ●
    • Subterfuge (Hiding Motives) ●●

Merits
  • Automative Genius (●)
  • Crack Driver (●●)
  • Stunt Driver (●●)
  • Mentor [Crafts, Drive, Streetwise] (●●)

Keys
  • Industrial *
  • Pyre-Flame *
Seals
  • Marionette
Fetters
  • Leave blank.
Ceremonies
Mementos

Health: 0/7
Willpower: 3/3
Speed: 10
Defense: 4

Anchors
  • Takeshi Fukumoto, the Good-for-Nothing State-Buster [Strength]
  • Mako Deguchi, the Spiral-Eyed Space Cadet [Hermit]
  • Akira Yakumo, the Surrogate [Hierophant] ●●
  • Igor, the Proprietor [Death]

Aspirations
  • Short: Visit a distant town!
  • Short: Tune up and mod out Uncle's loaner car!
  • Long: Reject Akira's influence to do something completely selfish but gratifying.
Passions
  • Get the loaner car a red paint-job.

Possessions:
Christine, the 1958 Plymouth Fury

Beats: 3/5

Experience: 0

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 15, 2017

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

quote:

Name: Sayuri Hisakawa
Concept: Your best friend who secretly hates you.
Threshold: The Torn
Fate: The Moon
Virtue: Prudent
Vice: Envious

Attributes
  • Mental
    • Intelligence ●●●
    • Wits ●●
    • Resolve ●●●
  • Physical
    • Strength ●●
    • Dexterity ●●
    • Stamina ●●
  • Social
    • Presence ●
    • Manipulation ●●●
    • Composure ●●●

Skills (Specialties)
    • Mental
    • Academics ●●
    • Computer
    • Crafts
    • Investigation ●
    • Medicine ●
    • Occult ●●
    • Politics ●
    • Science
  • Physical
    • Athletics
    • Brawl
    • Drive
    • Firearms
    • Larceny ●
    • Stealth ●● (Stalking)
    • Survival
    • Weaponry ●
  • Social
    • Animal Ken
    • Empathy
    • Expression ●●
    • Intimidation ●●● (Torture)
    • Persuasion ●●
    • Socialize ●
    • Streetwise
    • Subterfuge ●●● (Hiding emotions)

Merits
  • Eidetic Memory ●●
  • Closed Book ●●●
  • Iron Will ●●

Keys
  • Passion
  • Stigmatic
Seals
  • Shroud
Fetters
Ceremonies
Mementos

Willpower: 5/6
Speed: 9
Defense: 2

Anchors:
  • Kokoro Ootori, the Prying Prioress of Mystery [Fool] ●
  • Emiko Ootori, the Good One [Sun] ●●
  • Midori-san, the VHS Salesman [Magician] ●
  • Igor, the Proprietor [Death] ●

Aspirations
  • Be accepted into a good college.
  • Support Emiko, my childhood friend, in following her dreams.
  • Make all those who hurt Emiko pay.
Passions
  • Follow someone without being noticed.

Possessions:

Experience:
Beats:3

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 24, 2017

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Kellsterik posted:

Name: Mako Deguchi
Concept: Psychic Kid
Threshold: The Disappeared
Fate: The Hermit
Virtue: Optimistic
Vice: Sweet Tooth

Attributes
  • Mental
    • Intelligence ●●
    • Wits ●●
    • Resolve ●●●●
  • Physical
    • Strength ●
    • Dexterity ●●●●
    • Stamina ●
  • Social
    • Presence ●
    • Manipulation ●●
    • Composure ●●●●

Skills (Specialties)
  • Mental
    • Academics
    • Computer
    • Crafts
    • Investigation ●
    • Medicine
    • Occult ●●● (Otherworldly Places)
    • Politics
    • Science
  • Physical
    • Athletics ●●
    • Brawl
    • Drive
    • Firearms
    • Larceny ●
    • Stealth ●●● (Hidden Places)
    • Survival ●
    • Weaponry
  • Social
    • Animal Ken ●
    • Empathy
    • Expression ●
    • Intimidation ●●●● (Display of Power)
    • Persuasion ●●●●
    • Socialize
    • Streetwise
    • Subterfuge ●

Merits
  • Telekinesis (●●)
  • Small-Framed (●●)

Keys
  • Ethereal
  • Empty-Void
Seals
  • Oracle
Fetters
  • none
Ceremonies
Mementos

Health: 0/5
Willpower: 9/9
Plasm: 9/18

Psyche: 2
Anchors
  • Kaito Iwasaki (Justice) (●)
  • Sayuri Hisakawa (Moon) (●)
  • Shoko Ichinomiya (Priestess) (●)
  • Igor (Death) (●)

Aspirations
  • Save a stranger's life (S)
  • Have a conversation with something inhuman (S)
  • Have someone appeal to my humanity as a person (L)
Passions
  • Find out what really scares someone.

Possessions:

Experience: 3/5 Beats

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 15, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

quote:

Name: Kaito Iwasaki
Concept: Otaku Wannabe Hero
Threshold:
Arcana: Justice
Virtue: Fair
Vice: Proud

Attributes
  • Mental
    • Intelligence ●●
    • Wits ●●●●
    • Resolve ●●
  • Physical
    • Strength ●●
    • Dexterity ●●●
    • Stamina ●●
  • Social
    • Presence ●●
    • Manipulation ●
    • Composure ●●●

Skills (Specialties)
  • Mental
    • Academics ●●
    • Computer (Social Media) ●●●●
    • Crafts
    • Investigation (Pop Culture) ●●●
    • Medicine
    • Occult
    • Politics
    • Science ●●
  • Physical
    • Athletics (Sweet Stunts) ●
    • Brawl
    • Drive
    • Firearms
    • Larceny
    • Stealth
    • Survival
    • Weaponry ●●
  • Social
    • Animal Ken
    • Empathy ●
    • Expression ●
    • Intimidation ●
    • Persuasion ●
    • Socialize
    • Streetwise ●●●
    • Subterfuge

Merits
  • Danger Sense ●●
  • Strong Back ●
  • Iron Stomach ●●
  • Fleet Foot ●●

Keys
  • Pandaemonic
  • Untempered
Seals
  • Rage
Fetters
  • Leave blank.
Ceremonies
Mementos
Threshold: The Mortified

Willpower: 5/5
Defense: 3

Psyche:

Anchors
  • Nobuo Kitagawa ●●
  • Takeshi Fukumoto ●
  • Igor ●

Aspirations
  • Short-Term Aspiration: Get a ticket to Comiket
  • Short-Term Aspiration: Buy the Featherman Phoenix King robot
  • Long-Term Aspiration: Become a superhero
Passions
  • Beat someone in hand to hand combat

Possessions:

Experience:

Beats: 3

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 25, 2017

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

quote:

Name: Takeshi Fukumoto (福本武)
Concept: Cynical Anarchist
Threshold: The Prey
Arcana: Strength
Virtue: Courageous
Vice: Contrarian

Attributes
  • Mental
    • Intelligence ●●
    • Wits ●●
    • Resolve ●●●
  • Physical
    • Strength ●●●
    • Dexterity ●●
    • Stamina ●●●
  • Social
    • Presence ●●
    • Manipulation ●
    • Composure ●●●

Skills (Specialties)
  • Mental
    • Academics
    • Computer
    • Crafts
    • Investigation
    • Medicine
    • Occult ●●
    • Politics (National Politics) ●●
    • Science
  • Physical
    • Athletics ●●
    • Brawl ●●
    • Drive ●
    • Firearms
    • Larceny ●
    • Stealth ●●
    • Survival ●
    • Weaponry (Poles/Spears) ●●
  • Social
    • Animal Ken ●
    • Empathy ●
    • Expression
    • Intimidation ●
    • Persuasion
    • Socialize ●
    • Streetwise (Counter-culture) ●●
    • Subterfuge ●

Merits
  • Indomitable (●●)
  • Demolisher (●●●)
  • Iron Stamina (●●)

Keys
  • Primeval
  • Tear-Stained
Seals
  • The Caul
Fetters
Ceremonies
Mementos

Health: 8/8
Willpower: 6/6

Anchors
  • III. Chiyoko (●)
  • VI. Momoka (●)
  • XIII. Igor (●)
  • XVII. Kiyoko (●●)

Aspirations
  • Break something expensive
  • Bluntly tell someone that they're wrong
  • Evade the police
Passions
  • Eat A Ghost

Possessions:

Experience:
3 Beats

Takanago fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 24, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

pre:

Name: Ōtori Kokoro			Concept: Teen Detective			Threshold: "Wildcard"
Fate: The Fool				Virtue: Justice				Vice: Nosy

Attributes

Mental					Physical				Social

Intelligence	●●			Strength	●			Presence	●●●
Wits 		●●●●			Dexterity	●●●			Manipulation	●●
Resolve		●●			Stamina		●●			Composure	●●

Spiritual

Power		●●			Finesse		●●●			Resistance	●●

Skills (Specialties)

Mental					Physical				Social

Academics	●●●			Athletics	●●			Animal Ken	●	local strays
Computer	●●●	hacking		Brawl					Empathy		●●
Crafts					Drive					Expression
Investigation	●●●●	lost things	Firearms				Intimidation
Medicine				Larceny					Persuasion	●
Occult					Stealth		●●	shadowing	Socialize	
Politics				Survival				Streetwise	●●	scuttlebutt
Science		●			Weaponry				Subterfuge	●

Merits

Contacts		●●	local police, local "clients" (from professional training)
Investigative Aide	●	investigation
Professional Training	●●●	teen detective (empathy, investigation, streetwise)
Small-Framed		●●
Striking Looks		●

Keys					Seals					Unlocks

Pyre-Flame				n/a					n/a
Stillness

Ceremonies				Mementos				Anchors

n/a					n/a					Deguchi Mako	●
										Ikeda Ikki	●
										Ōtori Emiko	●

Corpus: 6/6				Willpower: 4/4				Plasm: 14/7

Size: 4					Speed: 9				Initiative: 5

Defense: 5				Psyche: 1				Synergy: n/a

Aspirations								Tricks

Do something special to repay Emiko.					Sign
Receive thanks from a local for her junior detective work.		Fate Sense
Solve a criminal or supernatural mystery.

Persona			Fate			Key			Numen			Dice Pool

Jack O'Lantern		Chariot			Pyre-Flame		Agi			●●●●●
Pisaca			Death			Stillness		Foul Breath		●●●●● ●●

Possessions: Camera

Experience: 0				Beats: 3

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 26, 2017

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Fewture posted:

Name: Jiro Kurokawa 
Concept: Driven Pre-Medical Student 
Threshold: 
Fate: Emperor 
Virtue: Trustworthy 
Vice: Overconfident 

Attributes 

Mental

Intelligence ● ● ●

Wits ● ●

Resolve ● ● ●

Physical

Strength ● ●

Dexterity ● ● ●

Stamina ● ●

Social

Presence ● ●

Manipulation ● ●

Composure ● ●

Skills (Specialties) 

Mental

Academics ● ●

Computer ● ●

Crafts ●

Investigation ● 

Medicine Asset (Emergency Medicine)● ● 

Occult ● ●

Politics

Science ●

Physical

Athletics ● ● ●

Brawl (Aikido)● ●

Drive Asset ●

Firearms

Larceny

Stealth

Survival

Weaponry ●

Social

Animal Ken

Empathy (Bedside Manner)● ●

Expression

Intimidation ●

Persuasion

Socialize ●

Streetwise

Subterfuge

Merits 

Good Time Management (●)

Patient (●)

Language: English (●)

Professional Training: EMT (● ●)

Contacts: Medical Professionals (●)

Contacts: Police (●)

Martial Arts: Aikido (● ●)

Keys
Grave-Dirt
Stillness

Seals 
The Curse

Fetters

Ceremonies 

Ceremony Name (Dot Rating)

Mementos 

Memento Name (Type, Key)

Health: Wounds/7 
Willpower: 5/5 
Plasm: 7/14
Defense: 5

Psyche: 1
Synergy: 9

Anchors
Hikaru Yamada, the Hanged Man (●)
Kaede Yakumo, the Devil (●)
Kenji Suzuki, the Tower (●)
Igor, Death (●)

Aspirations 

Get into medical school

Collect and watch more Italian horror films

Hunt down and destroy the thing that killed my twin

Passions 
Perform a full autopsy.

Possessions: 

Experience: 3 Beats

FewtureMD fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 16, 2017

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chiyoko sits near the wheel of the ship, in what can only be described as a nicely furnished restaurant booth that has somehow sprung out of the Karon Maru. In front of her is a champagne flute, full and sparkling, bubbling as if it was just poured. The bottle is on ice, and though it's of a good vintage, it's already empty.

Though she sits with her drink, a waiter never comes to take her order, leaving her to contemplate the other items on the table - a photograph ripped into two pieces - one a picture of a somewhat younger and considerably happier Chiyoko, smiling in the sunlight, and the other of two other individuals - her estranged ex-husband Kenji and a little girl laughing in bliss - presumably her daughter - being held up for the camera by Kenji. Each half of the photo is framed and seated before her - to make sure they didn't reconnect, of course.

Chiyoko's uniform has changed, though subtly. She is still wearing her admiral's uniform - changed as it was by the acceptance of the toll, but she is missing her hat, and her starched pants have been replaced by a pencil skirt in the same pattern, a pair of pantyhose, and sensible, if fashionable heels - color co-ordinated with the rest of her outfit. The ticket stub lays over her heart, glinting in the fey light like brass - and near where it sits the pale yellow half of her uniform bleeds over into the black of the other half.

In-between sips of her champagne, Satou coolly regards her new shipmates and find she does indeed recall them, if only somewhat. Firstly, she recalls them from that horror movie night she had managed to invite herself to - one of the topics she'd always been interested in - she'd even been considering making a pinterest board based on horror flicks. Now, she figured, she'd have to redouble her efforts since her life, or existence, or what have you has certainly become one itself.

She'd always liked the sense of power she got from guessing who was going to die next in the films before it happened. Just as she enjoyed the admittedly cheesy and overwrought plot point of the "final girl" - a single woman who through their own will and determination could overcome truly impossible odds. Maybe it was ridiculous to equate herself to a movie protagonist - but this entire situation was ridiculous and so, when in Rome...

The young woman who for some reason reminded Chiyoko of the color red, and for some reason made the slightest blurring of her vision from tears - Chiyoko remembered her as being polite and pefunctory - if a bit easily rattled at the Horror Movie nights. It was rare that she had any concern from her limited interactions with her, so why was she feeling such sadness watching her?

The girl who evoked bright pink gave Chiyoko a different mood, and it was one of stormclouds. Oh, she remembered her from the Seven-to-Seven as well - as doing the bare minimum. Perhaps not obviously, but a discerning customer like Satou could tell - she rarely was willing to get the manager, even if the customer - namely Chiyoko - demanded it. Perhaps it was her own two-faced nature, but she could always spot another con-artist, and this girl was trying to pull a hell of a con on everyone.

The little girl, clad in purple didn't evoke any maternal instinct in Chiyoko, not even in such a dire situation as this one. She couldn't put her finger on it, but something was off about that one. Every time she saw her running around the convenience store, her first thought wasn't "where are this little girl's parents", no it was "maybe I should go check out another section of the store, or come back later." She was never sure why - but that feeling of dread she got around that girl had only increased since this bizarre chapter in her life had begun.

The young man in pale blue reminded Chiyoko of nothing - save perhaps what her brother might have been like had he not always been sick. In that, Chiyoko considered her brother the fortunate one. The young man seemed to have no real motivation - in what she saw of him in life, or here - but perhaps that reflected her own confusion on just what to do with all of this and that might be clouding her judgement. Chiyoko shook her head, sipped her champagne, and moved on...

The other young man, in dark blue, was the worst employee the Seven-to-Seven ever had. He barely put in any effort - and she spent enough time in the store to know - he spent the minimum possible amount of effort on his work, and he always seemed ready to snap at someone. How's that for customer service!? Her every interaction with him had included a seemingly mandatory eye-roll on his part, and he didn't seem to care whether or not she saw him doing it! Well, she'd just have to set him straight on things if they were going to be working together in any sort of capacity, here.

The girl who had all the colors bled out of her by that...thing - made her nervous. Chiyoko thought she had seen her around before but...even watching her made Chiyoko uncomfortable and perhaps a little sad, sympathetic, even. Or it would, if she wasn't who she was. Clearly the girl had done something to cause her current unfortunate state. These things don't happen to the undeserving, after all. Sympathy wasn't an emotion Chiyoko could afford to have right now, anyway.

The young man in a green uniform - the cashier, she remembered - decent enough at his job, aside from a couple of mistakes every now and then on the register she had no complaints. But then why was he here? She didn't feel anything really, from him - which made her suspicious of him. What was the reason for his boarding? Was he really suited to be here? If nothing else, she could tell there was something about the other passengers, but not about him. Why was that?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Under the stern is an office near the captain's quarters, and that's where you'll find Kokoro, the navigator. There's a map spread out across the table, but it seems to be more a map of the neighborhood, with photos of people pinned down in various locations, and it seems as much a psychological as a physical map. On the wall is a board with various photos and notes pertaining to various local mysteries, but there's also a table with an backstaff, spyglass, chronometer, and other tools of the navigational trade. Oddly, there also hangs a stuffed backpack that resembles a shark.

Kokoro has a sailor's uniform just a bit more towards the sailor side than the school interpretation, with white breeches and top to match her faded shade, save for the black trim and neckerchief. The white reflects light almost harshly, as if somebody had the bloom settings turned up a little too high on her avatar. A newsboy cap in the same white shade covers her head, slight, white fingerless gloves wrap over her palms, and black canvas sneakers complete the outfit.

She looks over everything presented, touching some of it lightly, but the absence of her harsher half leaves her with a strange melancholy. The absence should feel like a comfort, but it mostly just feels like she's waiting for the slap that should come, but it never does. It feels like a trick so the abuser can be even worse when they blindside her. It's not like it hasn't happened before. It had been there for a long time, but after the divorce it just got louder and louder. She had gotten practically masterful at avoiding it, but it how occupies even more of her mind than before it was even present.

It's like she'd always known, on the periphery of her awareness, that there might be a world beyond. Urban legends, ghosts, monsters, curses, all stories, but sometimes there would be a hint or clue to something... else. Horror movies were simple, usually without mystery, or at very least a sloppy one she pieced together before the first act closed. But it was like getting a window into this world that she could sense but not see. It wasn't real, of course, and it's not something she thought about too much. But the voice in her head reminded her that there are awful things that can't be explained. And, at least, at 24 frames per second, they could no doubt resolve themselves neatly in under two hours.

But she was too polite to solve the movie for others neatly. Instead, she usually had resolved herself to knowing interesting factoids about the production, the actors, the background material, etc. There was always so much to dig into, and the worse the movie, often the more fascinating it was. How did a fertilizer mogul make a movie? What actor didn't even know they were in a horror film? What famous horror director got their start on a children's show? And so on. Sure, such services are available easily though through digital delivery services, which only got her to step up her game. She liked showing off like that. Such a smart one.

Tucked away in a drawer one might find a simple diary that says "Mysteries of Shimokita", with excerpts under "Panic Club" like:

Mystery Priority Rank S

"Where are her parents? Doesn't somebody take care of her? There are some pretty weird stories about her doing strange things, or getting mixed up with that weird cult (are there really normal cults?). I should look into that when I have the time. At least we can check up with her during the movie nights. I mean, does she even get fed well? I should definitely find out."

Mystery Priority Rank A

"The Seven Mysteries of Jikai Hospital? I bet he might know a few things! I mean, it's got really spooky stuff, based I what I read on eChan. But I don't want to seem too weird about it, I mean, he seems to have everything together. It probably seems really silly to bring up to him. But, I mean, is it any sillier than Panic Club?"

Mystery Priority Rank B

"I kind of worry about the kind of ideas he has sometimes. I mean, things aren't fair, but are they really that awful? I worry that he might end up being at the end of some terrible mystery for me to look into. But the way he does things, it probably won't be a mystery. Still, I'm sure he talks to weird people online. Maybe I should see if I can keep an eye on them? Don't know how much I should really worry."

"I wonder that's made her so angry? Is there anything I can do? Probably not, but maybe it'll help if somebody can understand, somebody to talk to her about? It seems like it'd be hard to do without just making her angrier, though. It's really not healthy to be like that, to be like... just tearing people down. It's not really right, is it? It reminds me of you. Shut up. I can write it if I like, nobody's watching."

Mystery Priority Rank C

"What keeps her showing up? Movie night has a lot of odd folks, but she's totally not, and she doesn't seem to be as into horror, but is she trying to escape something else or escape into the club? It's probably not that important, but it's important to not jump to conclusions. Never make assumptions about what somebody isn't saying."

"I don't think he has much in the way of big secrets. I don't mind having him help out with a mystery or two, but I don't know if I can trust him with anything too sensitive. But he seems like a good guy when his head isn't just all in those kids shows and when he isn't embarrassing himself. I mean, really corny, but okay."

"She's Emiko's friend, which makes sense, because they're both so straight-laced. I guess there isn't much to her? I always worry when I say that, that's not how people work. But sis needs her friends and I don't really want to mess that up. I already mess up too much stuff for her."

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Mako has the most important job of all. At the helm, just behind Captain Walton, there's a spinning chair and a hanging chain. Pulling the chain blows the foghorn. Mako's job is to blow the horn, which they do, gleefully, over and over and over. There's also a half-finished model of the Karon Maru in a glass bottle mounted over the console, which a more patient telekinetic could probably assemble in their downtime.

The esper kid pretty much looks like this, complete with fingerless gloves and skull-and-crossbones armband, but with a more vivid purple that human eyes can't quite focus on. It's like a Magic Eye painting. There's always a curl of hair sticking up, like a sprout, or a question mark.

Spinning in a chair and laughing until they get dizzy makes the reflections come easy. Mako thinks out loud while Captain Walton guides the ship a few feet away.

"Horror movies are cool because they show the world how it really is. You know how most grownups see weird stuff, and they forget about it and try to pretend it was something normal? It's like they're Sleeping while they're awake. Grownups even ignore me sometimes. They don't think too hard when I do stuff most kids can't do. But if you read comics and play games and watch scary movies, that's where they talk about real stuff. There really are haunted houses and missing days and places where the walls get thin. There might even be real monsters. I hope not!"

"But the really fun thing about Fright Night is how it's a place where people don't ignore me. Sometimes I tell Mom and Dad what I'm doing, and they don't really listen. My teachers just tell me to sit down and not make trouble today. The other kids usually stay away from me. Even the Heaven Smiles just pat me on the head and think I came there with my parents. But the Seven-to-Seven isn't like that! Whenever they let me come along to Fright Night, I can just watch it and talk with them and not be treated like an annoying kid. It feels like I'm learning about humans just from seeing how they react. Like when we watched that show from America, 'The Strangest Thing,' somebody said I was just like Number Eleven. I didn't think so, but it's neat that they thought of me when they watched it!"

Mako wills the ship-in-a-bottle to float into the air, twisting it around and rocking it back and forth on a psychic sea. Captain Walton just has to endure the rambling.

[impressions later]

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Kaede yawned as she leaned up against the push broom, somewhat relaxed in spite of the utterly alien situation. Perhaps it was because her duties as deckhand were similar enough to her usual routines that it put her mind at ease, though she had to wonder how dirty the Karon Maru ever actually got. At times, it felt as if she was simply going through the motions, cleaning specks of dirt that weren’t truly there. Regardless, the work may have been tedious, but it was familiar, and anything familiar in a place like this was comforting in its own way. In particular, Kaede found herself drawn often to the engine room, the humming of its machinery almost… soothing, in its own way.

What wasn’t soothing, however, was the absurd outfit she was made to wear. Wearing a sailor uniform at her age was bad enough, and the formality of the attire was depressing, especially after she had grown used to the relatively lax restrictions on uniforms from her own high school. Not that she really took advantage of said freedom, but at least it was there. And then there was the color. Not merely just red, but an outstanding shade of scarlet. Or a standing out shade, she should say. There was a reason she avoided the brighter cloths, regardless of how dull it made her wardrobe. Still… it could be worse, Kaede supposed. At least it was an attractive hue to look at, in her opinion.

She did wish it didn’t remind her so much of blood, however, as Kaede saw more than enough of that at the biweekly meetings. Truth be told, she had never understood why so many horror movies saw it fit to spew fountains of the liquid whenever someone died. Not to say that she was particularly against it, however. There was something oddly satisfying to watch such visceral imagery, perhaps all the more because of how blatantly unrealistic it was. It was why the films that were more over the top in nature appealed to her, rather than the ones that tried to pretend their cheap scares and poorly designed plots were effective in creating thrill and atmosphere. But, as she has thought to herself in the past, someone has to act as if that sort of B-movie flick is interesting. It was just what was expected with a group of this size. That someone would buy into the act.

Not that some people made her role easy. The Yelling Woman, for example- rather, the Woman in Yellow, constantly attempting to deduce the order of character deaths whenever she showed her face at the gatherings. That in itself wouldn’t be an issue, but she was usually right. And her being usually right made it all the harder for Kaede to make her moments of feigned surprise seem genuine. Combined with how troubling and tiring it was to deal with the Woman in Yellow’s complaints, and Kaede was hardly fond of her at the best of times. At the worst, well…

… though tiring it could be to deal with the Woman in Yellow, at least it was not an everyday occurrence. The Man in Green, on the other hand, never seemed to pass a day without the hints of exhaustion peering from the corners of his eyes. He did his best to hide it, of course, as was only expected from a professional employee. But the signs were there to even an untrained eye, if you knew where to look, and Kaede certainly did. She had seen it countless times from her fellow classmates before exams, after all. While the matter did interest her some, she knew better than to pry, instead offering a quiet hand of assistance where she could, when she felt like doing so...

...which was a favor she would be very much reluctant to do for the Man in Blue. Not to say that he was a bad, or even unlikable person, really. But he was rather vocal about his beliefs. Which was good! There was nothing inherently wrong with that, and in a sense Kaede found his openness admirable. Yet when those beliefs were so… prone to divisiveness, she found it safer to distance herself from such an individual. It didn’t help that the Man in Blue tended to be quite argumentative in nature, a trait in people that Kaede preferred to avoid…

...and was likely why it was Kaede enjoyed the presence of the Girl in Pink., or the lack thereof, she should say. Quiet, studious, and kept to herself. The sort of individual that was just fine with Kaede. Though… she had to admit that she found it peculiar how difficult the Girl in Pink could be to read, considering that one of the few talents Kaede considered herself to have was accurately gauging the emotions and intents of others. One might chalk it up to there being nothing deeper to read, yet Kaede couldn’t help but feel that something about that was wrong...

...although at least she hardly noticed the same issue when it came to the Man in Teal. There was someone who wore his heart on his sleeve, as they say. If she were being honest, Kaede could see the appeal in those tokusatsu shows of his, having given some of them a glance through for potential conversation material. While they weren’t exactly over the top in the same way her favorite horror films were, their simple if good-natured ideals and absurd special effects had a charm of its own, no doubt. Yes, to her, the Man in Teal was not unlike a child’s book so open the spine had torn…

...a perspective that made Kaede want to laugh when contrasted to the actual child of the eight gathered, the Girl in Purple. How many times had the child shown herself at the store, at their biweekly meetings? Enough so that she had practically integrated herself into their little group. There was simply something… unusual, about the Girl in Purple. Something that made it impossible for Kaede to truly connect with and understand the child. Not for want of trying, mind, with Kaede being one of the more likely employees to offer both food and companionship. Perhaps it was her instincts as an older sister taking over…

...a feeling that Kaede seemed to share with the Girl of the Pale, or so Kaede thought to herself. What was there to say about the teen detective? Before, Kaede saw her no more than a busybody, if a well-intentioned and very effective one. Likeable from a distance, though becoming involved in one of her inquiries sounded as if it could prove bothersome. Yet after what had happened… well, what had happened? None of the eight seemed to know, and if Igor did, then he had yet to clarify. It was confusing, it was concerning, it was… a little exciting, truthfully. The paranormal was a realm that Kaede never put a single stock into, but now? Now, Kaede was truly beginning to wonder.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

"Alright, that's the last of the bandages rolled and ready..." Jiro checks his clipboard. "I've organized and counted all of the medications, including the Takemedics, which I thought were quite illegal; I found a set of scrubs that match the shade of my uniform, so I can only assume they're meant for me..." At least they're comfy "All that's left is to...check the patient files." He looks over at the rainbow assortment of folders arrayed on the desk of the ship's clinic with some trepidation. Jiro had opened his own green folder first, and and promptly shoved it on the lone shelf after reading a few lines. They were deep truths about himself...written in his own hand. "A for effort for whoever decided to make these creepy props." Pen in hand, he sits down in the chair and grabs a folder at random. Time to see what he thinks about the other...crewmembers....

The Purple folder only has a few lines: "Limit Mako to one 'Godzooky'-sized slushy per week. Remind them about good brushing habits and the Food Pyramid...keep an eye out for juvenile diabetes."

The Pink folder is more sobering: "Saw her face reflected in a cooler door when she thought no one was looking. Guide her away from purchasing energy drinks and do not be alone in the store with her for any reason whatsoever."

The Blue folder has one sentence in all caps: "BANNED FROM BUYING PEPSI FOREVER"

When he gets to the Yellow folder, Jiro is truly concerned with the contents: "Remind her that wine bottles are not supposed to have an easy drink spout, and that her copy of Love Actually needs to be returned...as it's 2 months overdue."

The Teal folder is more mundane: "Keep a Weekly Shonen Leap set aside for his 'mint' collection. Slip more pamphlets on the dangers of high sodium consumption wrt instant ramen into his bags"

Jiro smiles while reading the Red folder: "Talk to manager about giving her a raise. Diligent and punctual, actually stocks drinks using FIFO method. I should get her a copy of the latest issue of Classic Autos Monthly.

A frown at the final folder, the White one: "No longer allowed to take out her notebook in the store after the...Incident. For the same reason she is no longer allowed near the magazine racks when another customer is browsing."

Jiro and Horror Media: Jiro is that guy who watches movies for the special effects. He loudly professes that he only takes such a keen interest because he "wants to make sure they portray things accurately" but in actuality, he harbors a secret admiration for the creativity displayed on the screen every time he watches a film. Ichiro was always so creative and full of imagination, and he always made sure that there was something for the two of them to do, whether it was an impromptu race to school or a game of make-believe and blanket forts on a rainy afternoon. Favorite horror movie: Jim Woodcarver's The Entity, Favorite scary video game: The Deceased Space series.

FewtureMD fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 4, 2017

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Now, forgive me for this interruption, but I could not help but notice in these impressions something a bit... Lacking. I fear we may only be touching the surface here. After all, the reason you are all here, is because of the relationships you share. The bonds that you have that will bring you to our destination. Perhaps now is as good a time as any to discuss.. Oh, it would seem I've made a slight error. If you would all please take your character sheets, and replace Touchstones with Anchors, and Arcana with Fate. This will all make sense in just a moment, I assure you."

Indeed, the character sheets are a very real thing, that ever shifting form of self-assessment in some form, for you to change with as desire.

"The ink has not yet dried, so we can make some changes, but once we open this story proper, you may not have such ease in changing how you perceive your self as you do now. Take opportunity as you like here, and I am always here for... assistance."

Along with the character sheets, something new has been added to your repertoire. A handbook of sorts, looking like a loose-leaf portfolio of various pages and tabs in it used for field operations, but the title of it, Le Grimoire de Couer, denotes a certain mystery to the whole affair, all too fitting for this unusual place. The most important thing to note however is a bookmark that when opened to reveals a section explaining the nature of these terms, as it would be important for the following matter.

"When we first started, you were instructed to leave three dots of your 'Merits' unassigned. With these three in remainder, we are to decide the relationships that define your place in the world. To it, each other, and yourselves. These Anchors will guide you to the destination as beacons along your path. I advise you not not underestimate their power..."

"With the three dots you have free, you will now assign your Anchors, and determine the relationships you share with them. You have all begun to state your impressions of each other, but it is not yet clear actually how you relate to one another, so perhaps this shall bring it all into focus, before we begin. One of these dots must be used with another player character, one with a non-player character, and the third to be spent as you like, including strengthening a relationship you already have. You may also add myself as an Anchor at a single dot in addition to these three dots, as after all, you are my guests, and I shall provide you what little power I may, in this curious game of ours."

"Mmm? I do suppose we've heard enough of the main players of this production. Perhaps it is worth establishing then the figures of the life you are about to return to... Very well, let us begin. I cannot reveal to you yet the Fate of all these individual, not yet, but as soon as they are unlocked, I am certain there will be little doubt..."

Akira Yakumo, the Surrogate
"Growing up without a father is not a fate I would wish upon any. It is fortunate, Kaede-san, that your uncle was there to take on that role, though he has never decided to share with you why. Your mother was thankful as well, and it is almost as if you never lost a father to begin with, but it is clear that Akira-san's past haunts him even still. He studiously does everything possible to keep you out of the life that he has lived, or perhaps is even now still living. And what of the others? His garage is only down the road from the convenience store, after all."

Nobuo Kitagawa, the Icon
"Kitagawa-sensei's retirement cannot be called a graceful one. He is getting older in his years, nearing his fiftieth, and yet he struggles to maintain the appearance of his youth, and by most accounts has done well to, though there is a certain quality of artifice that even Kaito-kun could not deny. Just as Kaito learns how to be a hero from his sensei, so does the master learn from the student how the world left him behind, desperate for another opportunity to get back into the spotlight again. Considering Iwasaki-san's cognition of the world, perhaps he is not the best teacher, but he lives merely just down the street and visits the store often. What other connections have been made?"

Hikaru Yamada, the Martyr
"A young man possessed of a heroic, low fire. If only he was not so attached to his life, so torn in so many directions, perhaps he would have made a fine enough companion to your exploits. A young firefighter of an age with the younger college age members of your krewe, it is not so hard to imagine that you went to school with him. He dropped out of college as well to pursue his career, and though his filial obligations keep him from too much investment in the outside world, he is a common enough presence at the Shimokita Seven-to-Seven."

Ikki Ikeda, the Manager
"Surprisingly energetic for a salaryman, this position seems rather beneath his talents and ambition,s and yet he seems to tirelessly be there, more than any other employee, and holds the lot of you to very high standards of service. More than that, he demands a certain level of commitment, and I wonder how those such as Takeshi-kun can deal with such a thing. He seems to have no life out of his career, after all, and yet he was willing enough to allow the Panic Club's formation, and in a strange way encourage it as a way of building a team, and more than once has helped change the schedules or given an advance to help out, but it never seems to show in his otherwise severe personality."

Kenji Suzuki, the Divorcee
"After Suzuki-san lost his job as a researcher at Jikai Hospital, where he was part of faculty teaching those such as Jiro-san, he found a job as a teacher at the local high school, Seitoku High School, where I imagine most of you went to. This was only in the last year or so, was it not? The long proceedings of the divorce left their mark, certainly not least of which being the loss of custody to your daughter. At least in Suzuki-san's case, he is happy enough to allow you to visit, but that means dealing with him, and it does not help that he visits a little too often for your liking his old workplace on his way home from work. Might he have drawn other connections to these others?"

Kiyoko Kawasaki, the Dreamgirl
"Ah, to know anywhere and anyone in Shimokita, Kawasaki-san is likely the one to ask. Deeply immersed in the local culture and its quaint eccentricity, she is a social butterfly of the highest order. And yet still, she makes time for her old friend and fellow dropout, as the two of you shared a close bond no doubt, not the least bit being that you knew her before she was the woman she is today. Mm, a 'manic pixie' would make a powerful Shadow indeed, ohohoho. I wonder if she has touched any other of your lives in her wake through this ocean."

Emiko Ootori, the Good One
"Emiko-san doesn't shirk from the challenge of responsibility, that much is certain. She is determined to become student council president this year, I gather, and has been taking along her best friend and confident, Sayuri-san, with her on the attempt. She is earnest, and caring, and usually at the top of her class. President of the Shogi Club, a natural organizer, someone who easily wins the affections of others. Yet it seems more the affections of these two girls, Kokoro and Sayuri, that she actually seems to care about, and often... You sometimes not been forthcoming. Perhaps others, in that absence, have made such connections."

"These form the core perhaps of those souls that surround the circumstances of this humble store of yours, but I would be remiss in not mentioning the other figures, perhaps a bit more mysterious and detached, that might have played parts in your lives. These three will play a role as well, even if their attachments are not quite so obvious yet, and are just as available for you to take on as Anchors along your way."

Momoka Ueno, the Bystander
"Brightly colored but with a sour personality, much like certain sweets I am told. Ueno-san is a second year at Seitoku and a new hire at the Seven-to-Seven, but has never uttered the word 'senpai' in any tone but derision. She seems to think little of others, and has made little attempt on her own to connect to others. She seems to have another part-time job as well and little time for hanging out, though in a neighborhood like Shimokita, her unusual fashion sense does not quite stick out. Anyone who wished to forge this bond would need a bit of patience, and perhaps a little luck, but might have caught something that kept theirs, and Momoka's, interest."

Midori-san, the VHS Salesman
"The somewhat unusual and certainly mysterious proprietor of CIVIC-TV, a second-hand VHS rental and trade shop with other horror movie memorabilia, who plays a certain role in that it is here that the Panic Club meets, and uses the 'screening room' at Midori-san's permission. One of you certainly must have gained his trust enough at one point, or perhaps he has his own reasons, that much has not been decided, but if anyone has forged a bond with him, that might have been how this all came to be. CIVIC-TV is a second story shop almost right next to and on top of the 7-to-7, facing the street as it does. Rarely does it get many customers but sometimes tourists as it's part of the neighborhood's kitschy vibe. Midori-san himself seems to be an expat of some sort, but he hasn't revealed much if anything of himself, much less his full name."

Shoko Ichinomiya, the Exorcist
"The Kongou Temple is really more a shrine, in the middle of Shimokita's winding streets and bustling shops, an abandoned Tendai Buddhist temple covered in graffiti and odd decoration. The only attendant is a single nun named Shoko Inchinomiya, who seems completely uninterested in the maintenance of the temple she is in charge of. Rather, she constantly smells of smoke, tobacco and otherwise, and occupies stoops and other places, gazing out blearily on the world passing by with a small smile and a thin yellow gaze. Perhaps she has played some role of mystery here or there in the story, but her role has yet to truly come to fruition."

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 2, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Getting the initial stuff taken care of for now, will do the second wave later.

Kaito had somehow found himself swabbing the decks, grumbling to himself at being forced to clean the floors again. Sometimes, it felt like he was everyone's errand boy. Come to think of it, why was everyone here anyway? Was this some kind of themed Fright Night? Kaito would usually go to those when he had a Friday open. He was a bit squeamish, so the gore-fests were right out, but the more psychological films were enough to give him a hell of an adrenaline rush, even if he had to take a bat to go to the bathroom later that night. Okay, so maybe he's a bit of a baby.

As Kaito regards his shipmates, he plays a common mental game: "Which hero show would this person like?"

The Woman In Yellow: Of course she'd like Mask Slider Rhyme. A more mature and dramatic series for a lovely mature woman such as herself. The emphasis on interpersonal relationships above over-the-top action would be appealing for one her age.

The Man In Green: Mask Slider Max-Heal, of course. A series about superpowered doctors transforming and fighting disease from within...if only it were that easy.

The Girl In Red: Mask Slider Rev would be for her. A high-octane series based around automobiles is just about her speed, no pun intended.

The Pale Girl: Maybe Mask Slider Duo for her. Two gumshoes who combine into one hero to solve crime in the big city. Every week is a new mystery to solve!

The Girl In Purple: Perhaps Mask Slider Warlock. A powerful magician who uses enchanted rings to call forth mystic powers, even when out of costume. Seems up her alley.

The Girl In Pink: Mask Slider Jungles, that spinoff show on streaming video. Brutal and unforgiving, I dunno, I just get that vibe from her.

The Man In Blue: And for him, Mask Slider UUU. A man who's down on his luck fighting against the greed prevalent in the world around him. Right on, brother. Right on.

Anchors:

Nobuo Kitagawa: ** He's my sensei!
Takeshi Fukumoto: * A fellow justice believer!
Igor: * A guy with a big nose!

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 5, 2017

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Near the front of the bridge, (or rather, towards the bow of the ship) Takeshi sits at the gunnery console. He's slouched over slightly, in what would normally be a sign of naval indiscipline, and has his body turned sideways in his seat so he's only half-facing his station. He never was, by any means, the hardest or strictest worker at Seven-to-Seven, and even now seems to take his job at his own pace.

There's a grim expression stuck on his face as he seems to stare into space. It's like the look he gets when he talks about things like, 'how the Japanese court system is just a machine designed to ensure a 99% conviction rate,' 'how society is built, at every level, to benefit the old and the rich at our expense,' and 'how the rise of right-wing nationalism here and abroad is going to bring us into another loving war.'

But now, perhaps ironically, he's dressed for war. His light blue uniform is like a standard military sailor's uniform with a number of small differences that are hard to pin-point until you notice a bit of foreign, cyrillic text on the sleeves. And then the whole thing comes together; it's a Russian-style uniform. The hard hat on his head though, with the anarchist circle-A drawn on it, seems to be his own unique addition as well as the ragged scarf around his neck.

Tying the whole scene together, there's a large red banner draped over the far side of Takeshi's gunnery console with the name of the ship, 'KARON MARU' painted on it somewhat crudely. There's also a whole bunch of wooden poles piled up in a corner which could probably be used as impromptu weapons if somebody ever decided to stage a mutiny.

Not that such a thing could possibly end well.

As the memories of the other world, the real world, start to come back, images of countless Fright Nights pass through Takeshi's head. Horror movies had always been something special to him, ever since he first saw one. Not only are they violent and weird in a lot of ways that are shunned by society, but they also speak with a lot of raw emotions that society wants everybody to hide away. Horror movies are bleak, frightening, and disturbing in a lot of ways the world can be, but that it'd never want to acknowledge. But most importantly, Horror is a world that empowers the weak and disempowers the strong. No rich person ever survives a horror movie. No corrupt person ever avoids their comeuppance. They always get what they deserve, usually in the form of murder. And the people that survive? They're usually the kind of people who start out weak and helpless. But they grow strong, and they overcome. They survive.

Horror eats the rich. Horror revolutionizes the poor. Horror is the ultimate anti-status-quo.

It feels like he's ranted about that topic more than a few times before.

As Igor starts to talk again about the character sheets, Takeshi looks down at his. There had been something bugging him since the last time Igor had brought the thing up. An insecurity about insecurity. Were his weaknesses really as strong as this piece of paper said? The more he thought about it, the more it seemed... to not really be as bad as he thought. It's not like working at Seven-to-Seven makes you any worse or less competent than the people in the Diet or in the big corps who all destroyed the economy and gave themselves raises.

So he grabs a pencil and shifts a few dots around, while the sheet is still malleable.

Impressions/social dynamics/anchors to come later. Also shifted my attributes around a bit to spread them out more.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chiyoko pores over the supposed character sheet - which was folded away in the menu cover on her table...for now, she won't change anything. The entire concept of her sense of self being caught up in a series of dots and phrases was disconcerting. No more disconcerting than the rest of this, true, but...she never said she was comfortable with any of this, anyway.

Maybe she'd come back to it later - if something needed to be adjusted for an advantage.

But these...anchors, they were another matter.

Kenji was an obvious choice - her estranged ex-husband, who apparently held sole custody of her daughter. Chiyoko didn't think there was anyone she loathed more than Kenji - but that was enough of a connection, wasn't it? He was still decidedly important in her life, no matter how much she might wish that wasn't the case. If nothing else, she was driven to prove herself better than him, and that would include steeling herself against whatever bizarre urges this...contract would apparently be instilling upon her - though she hadn't noticed any difference, yet.

The girl in red was another choice, though Chiyoko wasn't entirely sure why that was. Was it the sadness she felt when she watched her? Or was it something else? Something almost...maternal? The name Kaede kept coming to her, but that was her daughter's name. Of course, Chiyoko would be a ridiculous fool to think that two people who were unrelated couldn't share the same name, and her daughter was barely out of her infancy, so there was no way that this young woman, this Kaede, had anything to do with her, right? Still, she jotted her down...almost despite herself, and certainly despite any conscious logic.

Chiyoko thought long and hard about who the third anchor was supposed to be...and at long last wrote down the name Momoka. The strange girl who had started working at the 7-7. Chiyoko couldn't help but smirk as she remembered their first interaction: Chiyoko had been purchasing a bottle of perfume - which, like many convenience stores, required an employee to unlock the case. Momoka had been nearby, so Chiyoko asked for her assistance.

And the girl told her that perfume sucked, and to buy a different scent! The argument had been almost legendary, and in the end Chiyoko won. But since then, the girl had been following Chiyoko, at least at the 7-7. Oh, she thought she was being blase about it, Chiyoko was sure. Subtle. But Satou noticed - how she always was at the end of whatever aisle Chiyoko was shopping in, or how she'd roll her eyes at whoever was stubbornly refusing to get Chiyoko the assistance she needed. Chiyoko hoped it wouldn't go beyond the store, of course, but having a protege, even one as off as Momoka, was flattering. And she missed teaching a younger girl things the way she had taught her daughter, so, so be it.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Sayuri worked as the second deckhand on board, and she mostly kept to herself, barely interacting with any of the other passengers. She was like this when she worked at the Seven-to-Seven, too. While her co-workers were chatting away about the events of the day like a bunch of worthless slackers, she would be too busy focusing on her work, like a good worker.

Nothing about Sayuri really ever stood out. She's always been a quiet, unassuming girl, which is why it might surprise you to learn that she is actually a big fan of horror films, and she's the one who provides most of the movies for the biweekly Fright Night. She actually has an extensive collection of horror movies, ranging from gory, blood-soaked slasher flicks, to tense psychological thrillers. There's no special reason for her love of horror movies. She just enjoys them for the brutal, almost sadistic deaths. The terrified look on the victim's face while they're gutted like squealing pigs. The way once noble people break, and slowly spiral into insanity. The screams. The wonderful screams. how entertaining they are. Nothing more than that.

Still, she found it strange that she would run into most of the Fright Night group here, on the Karon Maru. She was especially surprised when she ran into The Girl in Red. Sayuri seems to run into her a lot. Not only is she her co-worker, but they also attend the same school, and attend the same classes. She would say it is almost as if fate is bringing them together, except only idiots believe in fate she doesn't exactly believe in fate. It is comforting to see a familiar face, though.

Who do you think you're fooling? I can see right through you. You're nothing but a coward who's too afraid to show her true feelings. You make me sick.

The Woman in Yellow was another welcome sight. Yes, she can be quiet harsh, and yes, she does ask to see the manager quiet often, but she is still a valued customer to the store, and her criticisms are always welcome.

Shut up, you old hag. Nobody loving cares. Instead of wasting everybody's time by yelling at a bunch of underpaid workers, why don't you go gouge out your eyeballs instead?

Sayuri always admired how loud, and out-spoken The Man in Blue was. It meant he was a man of strong convictions, and that is a rare trait in people these days.

What a loving loser. You talk, but that's all you do, isn't it? You're a wolf with no fangs. Here's an idea; try growing some loving balls.

The Girl in Purple was a bit of an enigma. Where are her parents? Are they really okay with their daughter watching such violent movies? Why is she always alone? Sayuri couldn't help but feel a little worried for the girl, but she seemed to enjoy being a part of the group, so Sayuri decided to keep her worries to herself.

...Get away from me. Whatever you are, I don't want you anywhere near me. Don't you even dare get closer to me!

There was nothing complicated about The Man in Teal. He is a simple, good-natured man, and Sayuri found his love for Tokusatsu shows quite charming.

Get out of my face, you loving otaku. I could give less of a gently caress about your obsession with TV shows made for children. Do you realize how much of an embarrassment you are?

The Man in Green always looks so exhausted. She wonders what could be keeping the man up all night, but that honestly isn't any of her business. The man's business is his own.

Boring boring BORING! You're so loving BORING! Everything about you is BORING! Your clothes, your face, your glasses, everything! I never thought it was possible for one man to be so DULL, but you somehow found a way!

Emiko would talk about The Pale Girl a lot. It was obvious that she cared for her sister, but she was also worried about her. Sayuri hasn't talked with The Pale Girl all that much, but maybe now would be a good time to get closer to her. Emiko is an important person to the both of them, after all.

You will burn with your sister.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
At Sayuri's station, there is an old film projector on a wheeled cart. Since she is the one that brings most of the movies, her corner of the bridge becomes associated with that, with crates of film reels to go with the projector, and a white curtain that can be drawn down behind the console at the back of the bridge, which every can turn to, and even Igor can swivel to face, as he does now as the projector seems to get a life of its own, and the lights dim somewhat, Igor chuckling a bit as people consider both their own self-assessments, each other, and now the story playing out before them.

"It is finally time for your story to begin. Do not feel the need to rush into it, as it is but a prelude to the real journey. You need not worry as well about these other questions posed to you until the very conclusion, at which point, well, everything will be committed, much as when you paid your toll to come along on this journey, and face the end of all things together as friends." That word does not sit well, as it does not quite so neatly describe this group of people, at least not yet. However, their degrees of separation only add to the opportunities to start. "Feel free to use this framing device as you may like. You may explain the story as if it were your words to the others on that fateful day, the 7th of May on your Fright Night, or perhaps make comment on the inconsistencies or common elements in the story, while delving into your own as if the events were happening to you. That is all upon you, the only thing that matters, is that you face your fate, and see it through to the destination."

"One more thing to aid you on your journey. A ledger that details your current statistics and Anchors has been created. It might also give you a look at just who is spread to where in the Arcana, with perhaps a few surprises in wait. You need not worry about this overmuch right now, but once the game begins in earnest, it may become very useful indeed."

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Mako keeps pestering Captain Walton while filling a notebook with endless crayon spirals.

Yellow Spiral: "She's somebody's mom, but not mine. I don't have to do what she says."

Green Spiral: "If fresh veggies are so important, why don't you have them at the store? Mom and Dad said doctors don't really know anything."

Red Spiral: "If my parents had a daughter, she would be her big sister. But they don't. They have me! So she couldn't really be my sister. There's too much she doesn't see."

Teal Spiral: "He's so cool! He sees the world how it really is. Comics are more real than newspapers. When he saves the world, I wanna be his sidekick!"

Pale Anti-Spiral: "I like to follow her around when she investigates mysteries. Most grownups ignore the world, but she goes looking for answers. When she comes to me for real, I'll show her the answer of the Heaven Smiles."

Purple Anti-Spiral: "It's me!"

Pink Anti-Spiral: "I know a secret. She has something dark inside her. The others can't see it, but I can. She should let it bloom, not hide it under a bush!"

Blue Anti-Spiral: "He found a cheat code for life. It's like he fell through the cracks in the world: no school, no real job, no future. But he knows so much stuff. Maybe when I'm older, I can follow him through the crack. I wanna break stuff, too!"

---

Anchors: Kaito Iwasaki, Sayuri Hisakawa, Shoko Ichinomiya

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 5, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The dots filled themselves fairly easily, and it's not like Kokoro thought about too much. It was like a dream, and the silence certainly made it feel that way now if it didn't before. Mako was the obvious one, the one to take care of, maybe, uncover. Understand. Ikki was always cooperative with her and sometimes even contributed his thought to her investigations. Almost like he was interested? Emiko. Of course she was tied to Emiko. How could she not be? Or maybe, instead, how could she not want to try? There were others that tempted her curiosity. Mysteries. But you don't get too close to mysteries. You solve them.

She could imagine the taunts that should echo in her head, but they didn't. Everything seemed so simple now. She tossed the pen aside, closing her eyes. It was like something she hadn't known in years.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
"My my, so the first of you have awakened to the power of Persona. This Geist shall bind to you, and grant you power over the forces of life and death. From this, you will be able to use the Anchors you have bound to further your path along towards our mutual destination. Let us discuss what this will entail. First, the Captain has informed me that your Grimoires have been updated with new details and rules regarding your condition. You will have to make some decisions of course on what this will all entail, but for now, enjoy this new power. We shall add this Christine to the Compendium..."

:h: Kaede Yakumo has awakened to the Geist Christine on the Threshold of The Forgotten! You gain your first dot of Psyche, and seven Plasm to start. You have two starting Keys, and may pick your first Seal.
XV. Devil
A demon possessing the shell of a retro Plymouth Fury. It drives those that care for it into obsession, honing them into idealized but cruel versions of themselves, and eventually into ruin. It does not abide any that challenge it or its master, possessed of intense hatred and love.
Keys: Industrial, Pyre-Flame
Anathema: Pandaemonic
Psychopomp: Car keys
Weaponized: A sledgehammer (+2 Damage)
Vessel: A 1958 cherry red Plymouth Fury (as sports car vehicle, but uses Psyche rating as a Dice Modifier instead of the base) :h:

:s: Grimoire Entry: Geists & Thresholds
:s: Grimoire Entry: Psychopomps
:s: Grimoire Entry: Psyche & Necromancy

"You have entirely full control over your destiny now. You determine the physical form that your Geist takes, as it is as much based of your own soul and cognition, as it is derived from the souls of the dead, and the icons of human consciousness. If you are not certain, speak your mind and let us know, and perhaps you shall come to a... revelation. You may decide how it is you use the power of Persona to overcome the challenges in the Underworld, and how you seek to escape it and return to the realm of the living, with the tools before you. Now, we must get to the matter of Seals. It is recommended that each of you choose a different one for yourselves, with the exceptions of Kokoro-san, who shall have a... unique power reserved for her, though each of you should consider your powers unique as well. They shall guide your role within the krewe, and your roles as Heralds of the coming Apocalypse. Choose wisely, and feel free to discuss among yourselves the path you idealize for yourself."

:s: Grimoire Entry: Unlocking the Seals

"Any further questions regarding the power of Psyche, necromancy, and of the Underworld, I am afraid I shall have to leave to our good Captain Walton. Regarding matters of Shadows, the Geist itself and the power of Persona, and so on, I shall be your guide. Anything further I may assist you with?"

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 7, 2017

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Kaede held the pair of keys up to the light, examining them without much thought. They were car keys. Sure, there was some sort of metaphysical, possibly metaphorical aspect to them. But they were also car keys. And she was fairly certain she knew how car keys worked. Seals, on the other hand, were a somewhat different matter. Something to be considered, something to be pondered over, something to be chosen after deliberation-

"-I'll be picking the Marionette Seal. To be honest, taking advantage of other people and manipulating them isn't exactly my thing. But I refuse to be controlled, to be forced to do something I don't want to do myself, ever again. That's why I've chosen the Seal that I have."

With another slight yawn, Kaede adjusts the scarlet top to her sailor uniform, before nodding to Igor.

"No questions here, at least that I can think of right now. Don't worry though, I'll be sure to ask if I think of anything."

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 7, 2017

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Mako has a faded ship's log, heavily marked with red ink, orbiting around their finger.

"Hey, look at this cool manual I found! It was hidden in a locker in the galley. D'you think I could learn to do some of this stuff, Igor?"

Hurt Locker, Fighting Styles, p.75-77 posted:

Psychic Poltergeist (••)
Prerequisites: Telekinesis •
Effect: Your character barrages enemies with objects from her environment. By activating Telekinesis, she can cause nearby Size 0 or 1 objects to converge on an area like a swarm. The swarm envelops a number of victims equal to her dots in Telekinesis. Each victim within the swarm’s area suffers the persistent Distracted Condition until he or she escapes. Additionally, the Storyteller determines an appropriate amount and type of damage from being within the swarm. For example, a cloud of whirling kitchen knives or burning chunks of furniture would inflict lethal damage, while stuffed animals would inflict bashing, if any. This should be limited to a dice pool equal to the psychic’s Resolve. However, victims taking any action besides Dodging cannot apply their Defense against the swarming objects.
Drawback: This ability requires the telekinetic’s complete concentration. She must spend a point of Willpower every turn and can take no other actions. She can apply Defense to incoming attacks, but taking damage immediately ends Psychic Poltergeist.

DISTRACTED
Constant confusion and distractions buffet your character from all sides. She cannot take extended actions, and suffers a –2 die penalty to all rolls involving perception, concentration, and precision.
Possible Sources: Being in a highly confused environment.
Resolution: Leaving the environment.

Psychokinetic Combat (Style; • to •••••)

Prerequisites: Psychokinesis ••• or •••••
Effect: Your character has honed her psychic abilities into a dangerous weapon. All the conditions required to activate your character’s Psychokinesis must be present to use any of the following maneuvers. Any attacks subtract the victim’s Resolve from the pool, as normal. Each of these abilities requires that your character activate Psychokinesis, or have Psychokinesis already active, but does not incur further cost unless otherwise noted.
Corona (•): You surround yourself with a field of energy, affecting anyone who comes too close. Any close combat attacks made against you automatically inflict one point of lethal damage on the attacker; with the five-dot version of Psychokinesis this is increased to two points. If engaged in a grapple, this damage is inflicted every turn. The field lasts for a number of turns equal to successes rolled to activate Psychokinesis.
Mind Over Matter (••): When you focus your energy on weak points, even the most well-protected enemy is at risk. Your Psychokinesis attacks now gain armor piercing 2 and are not affected by cover.
Trapped Potential (•••): You can turn even the most innocuous items into time bombs of psychic energy. When you activate Psychokinesis, choose any object within yards equal to your character’s Resolve. As a reflexive action, you can detonate the object causing three points of bashing dam-age to anyone close by it and creating a Size 3 patch of force. With the three-dot version this object must have the ability to produce your chosen force on its own, such as a lighter or welding torch for a pyrokinetic, but with the five-dot version any object can be trapped this way.
Imbue Weapon (••••): By channeling psychic energy through yourself you can make your weapons more effective. When rolling to manifest Psychokinesis, you may choose to accept lethal damage up to your character’s successes, up to your character’s final Health box. Each point of damage taken adds one weapon damage to the next attack your character makes. With the three-dot version of Psychokinesis, your character must have a nearby source of energy to draw from to use this maneuver.
Harvest Psyche (•••••): You’ve learned to collect the psychic feedback of others’ minds to fuel your own abilities. Each time your character causes damage with Psychokinesis, gain one Willpower.

Telekinetic Evasion (•••)
Prerequisites: Telekinesis •
Effect: Your character can mentally redirect blows and propel herself out of harm’s way. In any scene where your character’s Telekinesis is active, spend a point of Willpower to add her dots in the Merit as successes when Dodging.

"Oh yeah- about Seals. I'm not so good on the front lines, so I choose the Oracle!"

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 8, 2017

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Let me think on the Hurt Locker merits. I am going to lean yes for Poltergeist and Telekinetic Evasion, but as a heads up you will be losing your electrical Psychokinesis so the middle one would be out.

:h: Kaito Iwasaki has awakened to the Geist Devilman on the Threshold of The Mortified! You gain your first dot of Psyche, and seven Plasm to start. You have two starting Keys, and may pick your first Seal.
VIII. Justice
A great hero of Hell bound to the mortal world through treachery, loyal to his prince but capable of rivaling even a fallen Satan. Bound by a strict warrior's code, he does not hesitate to kill but did not murder for sport, needing only a worthy cause to rally himself too and setting his sight on Heaven.
Keys: Pandaemonic, Untempered
Anathema: Ethereal
Psychopomp: Mask
Weaponized: Bladed gauntlets (+2 Damage, uses Brawl)
Vessel: Full transformation costume (including wings that grant you a flight speed) :h:

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 7, 2017

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
:h: Chiyoko Satou has awakened to the Geist Suspiria on the Threshold of The Stricken! You gain your first dot of Psyche, and seven Plasm to start. You have two starting Keys, and may pick your first Seal.
III. Empress
A cruel Greek émigré who was widely believed to be a witch, she founded a ballet school in the black heart of Germany, luring young women so she could steal their youth and live forever as the head of a coven of witches, embodied in the spirit of Sorrow, our Lady of Sighs. She disappeared when the mansion was burned down.
Keys: Chill-Wind, Phantasmal
Anathema: Pyre-Flame
Psychopomp: Music box with winding key
Weaponized: A rod/cane tipped with a crystal ball (+2 Damage)
Vessel: A full-fledged haunted mansion springs up from the music box, providing shelter in the Underworld :h:

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 7, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"HELL YEAH! You better believe I'm taking Rage! What's a hero without a badass finishing move?"

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

"Hmph." The woman sets down her menu for a moment, and offers a thin, if superior, smile. "The Dirge." She says simply. As if it had been in any doubt.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
:h: Mako Deguchi has awakened to the Geist Pennywise on the Threshold of The Disappeared! You lose your Psychokinesis, but with those three merit dots, you start with an extra dot of Psyche with a rating of 2, being more attuned with psychic energies already, and nine Plasm to start. You have two starting Keys, and may pick your first Seal.
IX. Hermit
A shapeshifting alien that comes awake every few decades to feast on children in their dreams. Its true form is a mystery, and it leaves scars everywhere in its wake, calling upon an eldritch evil as its source of power and using an unholy light to make its work upon all it touches.
Keys: Empty-Void, Ethereal
Anathema: Grave-Dirt
Psychopom: A balloon
Weaponized: A slingshot (+1 Damage, ranged using Athletics or Firearms)
Vessel: A photo album with "living pictures" that allows you to travel to anywhere you've previously visited in the Underworld :h:

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 7, 2017

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
:h: Jiro Kurokawa has awakened to the Geist Re-Animator on the Threshold of The Silent! You start with a dot of Psyche and seven Plasm to start. You have two starting Keys, and may pick your first Seal.
IV. Emperor
A Miskantonic University researcher driven to find a medical technique to reverse the onset of death, discovering a chemical serum that brings the semblance of life back to the dead thought at great cost and risk to himself and others. It matters not to him the ethical questions, only that if it can be done, it must.
Keys: Grave-Dirt, Stillness
Anathema: Passion
Psychopomp: A test sample
Weaponized: A shovel wielded as an axe (+2 Damage)
Vessel: Syringes filled with the serum (allows one to convert Plasm out of combat into healing, healing 1 Lethal or 2 Bashing wounds for every Plasm spent in this way) :h:

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Jiro considers the notebook's contents carefully, taking a few moments to flip to the appropriate section each time one of his fellow crew members decides on a Seal. "In that case, I will choose the Curse as my initial Seal. Hopefully I can hinder our enemies enough to let the rest of you stroke all the harder." The mad Doctor's voice whispers in the back of his mind ~It also makes gathering specimens so much easier, as well as assists with some of that pesky tying of loose ends. An excellent choice, Jiro.~

FewtureMD fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 8, 2017

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
:h: Sayuri Hisakawa has awakened to the Geist Carrie on the Threshold of The Torn! You start with a dot of Psyche and seven Plasm to start. You have two starting Keys, and may pick your first Seal.
XVIII. Moon
Tormented by a generational curse passed along in the blood, a young girl who was called a witch and nearly murdered by her mother avenged herself on her tormenters in one of the largest massacres of Middle America, sealing and killing hundreds of people during her high school prom after being targeted by a cruel prank.
Keys: Passion, Stigmatic
Anathema: Tear-Stained
Psychopomp: A sewing needle and red thread
Weaponized: A kitchen knife that gleams in the dark (+2 Damage)
Vessel: A plastic tiara and pink prom dress, soaked in blood (wearing this makes Sayuri completely invisible to Shadows, even when attacking, though they can track her by other means) :h:

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 9, 2017

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
:h: Takeshi Fukumoto has awakened to the Geist Jaws on the Threshold of The Prey! You start with a dot of Psyche and seven Plasm to start. You have two starting Keys, and may pick your first Seal.
XI. Strength
An unstoppable killing machine from a bygone time, this great white terrorized a local cove until three men used every means of ingenuity to overcome it, and yet its curse would never be lifted and the stain of its blood in the waters would remain for generations.
Keys: Primeval, Tear-Stained
Anathema: Industrial
Psychopomp: A shark's tooth
Weaponized: A harpoon wielded as a spear (+2 Damage)
Vessel: A modified fishing boat called the "ORCA" (can be used to traverse the Rivers of the Underworld) :h:

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Sayuri reads through the notebook, and considers each option carefully, while humming a slightly unsettling song to herself. Once she reaches the page about The Shroud, a wide, menacing grin starts to form on her usually blank face.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Takeshi skims through the grimoire like it's a cheap magazine, only quickly glancing at each section until he gets to the last seal. He stares at it for a few seconds, and then tears a small corner off the page and puts it in his mouth. "Good." A razor-sharp grin appears on his face. "I'll take The Caul."

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'll be a bit busy on and off tonight but the Google Documents I'm using to kind of cover the in between your waking back up alive and your being at the Fright Night, and it'll include a fair bit of one on one interaction with Anchors and the like but not tied to the main update schedule since it's no in the thick of the action. I've tried to tie all the stories up enough that people can now more seriously discuss their situation in "realtime" on Fright Night, and we're rapidly approaching the proper conclusion to the Prelude (to match up when the characters more or less organically agree to become a team). Kokoro's story still has a few pieces left to it to go through but there's no rush on that, for the purposes of playing everyone understands that she was actually trapped in the Underworld for quite a while, only able to find Mako after the fact and use her to try and get the team back together, as per her earlier prompts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Well well, what do we have here. I thought that we might go this story without this playing a part, but you all are so full of surprises. Of course, it was not by my hand that this power revealed itself..."

Igor's eyes shift over to the captain at the front of the bridge, with Walton's two hands on the helm and keeping it straight. There is an uncomfortable silence at that, before the Captain finally turns to glance over his shoulder to look where nearby, to his left, the ghostly Kokoro had made her place at the map and navigational tools. His hard golden eyes hold her for a few moments, demanding her attention, before he gives a slow nod.

"Navigator Ootori, report in."

Once he had your attention at his place, he actually lifted one hand from the wheel, stuffing into into one of his pockets on his fur-lined long jacket, turning to face you more full on, winding his other hand to lean forward and keep the wheel steady but freeing it to take the pipe from his mouth. You realized quickly that the voice you heard just then, even if your self in the current timeline would realize it, was Captain Walton's own. Was he... the blue butterfly? It seemed an unlikely fit for a man as grizzled as he.

"Do not squander this power I have trusted you with, ensign. You gave away your Geist as a toll for taking part in this voyage, but that does not mean you have any less power or importance, or moreover, responsibility, for this journey. You'll be expected to pull your weight... I'm trusting you with this. it makes you no more or less special than the others here who have gained power over death. I have given you something different: A power of life to help guide us along the way. I hope I can rely on you."

Pulling out from his pocket is some kind of leaf of tobacco or otherwise, something to refill his pipe with idly as he considers her.

"With this, your Fate has changed. No longer the Priestess, you walk the path of the Fool. With this, you have the fullness of opportunity, of transformation. With the power of the Wildcard, you may bind many more Shadows to your souls than your fellows, and are not restricted as them in those you might call upon, so long as you have the wit and will to tame those you come across. If you have any questions about it... or your condition as a ghost, which I am afraid is not to be a short journey, you may ask me. I have updated however the Grimoire so that you might all better understand this new power among you, as well as the cognitive world we'll be traversing."

Once the pipe is full, he puts it back in his mouth, turning back and forward with both hands on the helm.

"If that's all... Dismissed, Ootori."

Grimoire Updates

• Locked thread