Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Blaming being handsome on steroids...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
please beat gsp and retire bisping. i want this conversation, unironically, twice a year forever and i want to be firmly on team don raper

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Charles Gnarwin posted:

"No disrespect but I heard someone declare that you have a fatwad and I'm going to eat it up."

hahaha

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

The two have nothing in common stylistically. Definitely not enough to conclude that they are the same fighter.

there's no need to be that pedantic. they're both well rounded strikers who use wrestling almost exclusively defensively.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

1st AD posted:

Ehh not really, they both have completely different approaches to striking

And neither is well rounded as a striker.

what in the world.... ok guys i concede the point. whittaker is not literally bisping. sorry for the confusion.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

If you're going to be that vague, Bisping and Cain Velasquez are the same fighter. Both hit people, both are fit, and neither has lost to Royce Gracie.

Whittaker's lunging right hooks, mixed in with feints into left hands, are really nothing like Bisping's jab-cross-shuffle/occasionally sitting down on counter punches. I'd go so far as to say they're diametrically opposed.

hahaha

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i would have loved to see ferg / nate because lw desperately needs a marquee fight but i get where nate's coming from

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

threeagainstfour posted:

"I answered the phone, and it was Mayweather. I'd just smoked a joint and I was like.....poo poo"

Nate Diaz owns

hahaha that's pretty surreal

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

manyak posted:

If anything Ronda would be good at 125 and having her at a new weight class would be one of the more credible excuses to bring her back out of the woods and give her an instant title shot

Yeah this is where my mind went. And the inevitable Ronda / jj would be sick.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Apparently Goes had a brain bleed after that,

whoa. i mean, i'm not surprised eirther, but loving hell.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

is society to blame ?

yes. you cannot be say anything that isn't retarded when you use the word motherfucker like a comma, and if you can, you're a dog doing a particularly good trick. a lion on a stool. a bear in a car.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

A marching powder posting

what can i say. i love examples of how the sort of codified language of the lower socioeconomic classes positions a person when discussed from the perspective of the dominant ideology lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Gay Horney posted:

he's kind of right. For a lot of styles and a lot of fighters you need to be really relatively safe to throw a jab. The jab in MMA makes you vulnerable to an overhand right or cross unless you throw it perfectly. Perfectly doesn't just mean keeping your elbow tight and your knees bent it also means you have to know the distance exactly. In other words you have to set up the jab while being aware of your wrestling opportunities, his wrestling opportunities, the feet, etc. There's a loving lot of work and a lot of just circumstantial poo poo that has to come together before you can throw a truly safe jab. Many fighters would rather set up a bigger strike.

With all that being said if you make a stinging jab a part of your game plan it can definitely work for you--Rory Mac, Gustaffson, Masvidal, Joanna and Makdessi all come to mind as guys who have nasty jabs that can gently caress up your whole poo poo but that's a function of their body types and fighting styles. They're never out of position to either throw that jab or move their weight around and come in with another strike. In MMA the jab is more a feature of certain fighters skillsets and movement patterns rather than something everyone should try to force.

every punch is vulnerable to a counter. this is all really loving stupid.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

remember when gsp put one fo the most prolonged and vicious beatings seen inside the octagon on josh koscheck? little did he know he was vulnerable to the overhand right - the only punch koscheck knows how to throw

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

1st AD posted:

Michael Johnson is very bad

about as bad as conor mcgregor.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Memento posted:

Benevidez has pulled out of UFC Auckland due to injury. Hopefully my boy Kai Kara-France can get a look in, he's been campaigning hard to get on that show.

Kai and Ben would be a sick fight

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

bisping is the best and i really hope he wins but yoel has shown a worrying lack of getting insanely tired against weidman. in the jacare fight he was so gassed that he landed like one significant strike in the first minute of round 2 and then did nothing for the rest of the fight. in the weidman fight he was beating weidman in round 2 with wrestling and competitive in stand up and in round 3 still had enough gas to kill weidman with nearly no cheating...

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I can't decide if yair's best win is Bruce leeroy or bj penn. anyway I could be wrong but I think that maybe yair is being touted a little higher than his actual accomplishments deserve but I'd be happy if I'm wrong because he's great to watch.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

Their first fight was really close I dunno what's gonna happen

Same.

Alvarez/ Poirier is the best fight on the card.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

Chas Skelly, who hilariously killed Maximo Blanco in 20 seconds and Jason "Hick Diaz" Knight are probably gonna have a fuckin rad grapplefight

Yeah. They both ebtered the UFC and immediately lost to good / great opponents and then went on to kick a wide variety of rear end in a wide variety of ways. They are the mid-carders to watch and one or both of them will have a big impact at featherweight imo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

rumor has it kelvin's fighting weidman. kelvin will win too.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

diesiel posted:

JDS weighed in at 245... Heavier than usual...

And people often forget he had a torn ACL in the first stipe fight, had surgery straight after. It makes sense because his movement was really bad and he gutted it out anyway. He should win this weekend....

stipe has been more active, in better form, and is hungrier. but what you say is true, which is why it's basically a coin flip in my eyes.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Le Saboteur posted:

The Tuesday contenders series they announced for fight pass sounded really cool. And a guaranteed five free live fights every week.

for someone who has no idea what this is is it just fights between dudes who might be ufc caliber or are they already signed and it's just an alternative to putting them on a card? because if it's the latter i've found the perfect way to keep 205 and w135 active without stinking up the place

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Le Saboteur posted:

They said it's for fighters trying to get in or back into the UFC. So prospects and veterans.

ah. shame.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

cody's gone for surgery again.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

topical https://twitter.com/TJDillashaw/status/863148336743841792

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

That strikes me as a tune up fight for Choi.

he should be the favorite for sure but fili's roughly in his league and a good fight.

i forgot tkz was back and murdered dennis bermudez. what's he doing next?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Cody Garbrandt is the top gun volleyball scene made flesh

Perfect.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

mighty mouse would make tj look like tj made barao look

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

remember when Rory schooled Maia and Woodley back to back?

Rory drat near lost to Maia when Maia made an unforced error from top position in the third allowing Rory to get back up. I think a rematch would look much the same. I miss Rory.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

what a world we live in

I agree. I could make a compelling case for all of those scores.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I don't remember Masvidal doing anything in the first round except at the very end when he was on top.

Maia also was never close to a sub. It's true that masvidal had about 20 seconds of positional dominance but he did like 99% of the damage in the roun and the shots landed clean and extremely hard.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

It's not even the weirdest one in that division. He's on a long streak stretching over three years, and Welterweight has seen Dan Hardy get a shot. Josh Koscheck's title shot happened off a three fight win streak, as did Robbie Lawler's. As it goes, a 7 fight win streak is pretty goddamn respectable.

With regards to him looking flat, he's 39. He's aged really well and better than someone as one dimensional as him should have. It may be time is finally catching up to him.

i can't believe i'm reading this poo poo about a guy that made gunnar nelson look like he'd never rolled in his life, took condit's head off, and yeah he looked not great while standing, but masvidal is an elite fighter, and still couldn't stop maia from doing basically whatever he wanted with enough consistency to wear out masvidal and make a case for winning every round.

the guy is stronger than ever, somehow, and a serious contender who if woodley isn't really loving careful, could well be ww champion.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

SquirrelGrip posted:

more cautious than he has been will be very boring

Lol, but putting your back to the cage against demian Maia seems like a really stupid idea so I'm optimistic

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Nierbo posted:

Woodley would flatten maia. Does anyone think Maias single is really that good?

For five minutes he's the most dangerous takedown artist p4p and his single is unbelievable as evidenced by him putting everyone he's fought at ww down including Rory, Gunnar, masvidal et al

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

masvidal made himself look legit by beating up two old guys and another out of class LW in cerrone but hes really not a stud ww IMO

I get wha you're saying but arguably beating Larkin and Maia makes you a stud at ww. Masvidal will be remembered for all the great fighters he arguably beat.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

maia and larkin are beneficiaries of people leaving and getting old/mentally breaking

His destruction of magny was impressive

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Woodley's already trying to duck Maia, by the way

Classic Woodley

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i really like watching Maia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

it's like watching a guy who can't swim being thrown into the ocean and every minute he gets thrown a progressively better floaty toy

• Locked thread