Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i feel like stipe is going to get the record for title defenses at heavyweight and i also feel like he's not that good

It's easy to feel that way when you remember the Struve and Gonzaga fights (the latter of which I tragically witnessed live) but I do think he is very good. Source: every fight he has had since Gonzaga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Digital Jedi posted:

If Stipe wins against JDS he will join the elite ranks of Couture, Lesnar (if you count interim) and Cain as being the 4th person to successfully defend the belt twice.

You're forgetting the biggest name of them all on that list, Tim Sylvia

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Those are good quotes

Rigel posted:

The UFC has decided to open up a women's flyweight division.

https://twitter.com/Jason_Floyd/status/859917690340872193

This is also fine, but it makes it seem even more stupid they let Letourneau walk

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

1st AD posted:

Huh, that's weird because he got hosed hard by Masvidal on live TV and only made $111k.

Lmao

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Cerrone talks a big game but he knows that Big John tells them all in the back that if they start having sex with their opponents it'll be a disqualification

Actually under the current ruleset it's only a dq if it's to completion, but the rules against stalling still apply

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Bisping's title reign and run leading up to it is interesting as there are a lot of good fights involved but every single one has an asterisk next to it that dorks like us can justifiably use to argue whether his reign is "legit" or not either way. He is on a short list of people who have beaten Anderson Silva, but this is an old Silva who is clearly past his prime. Manyak is right that Silva is only slightly older than Bisping and they've been fighting for about as long so there theoretically isn't some massive gap in age or fight years that would give Bisping an advantage, but Bisping's style ages better than Anderson's does and Anderson was obviously past his prime at that point and still managed to almost knock Bisping out.

The Rockhold fight is easily his best win in recent years and it was a big deal, and you can't take anything away from him in that he was able to adjust his gameplan and do what he needed to to decisively finish a guy who kicked his rear end shortly before, but that fight also technically happened under the best possible circumstances for Bisping I'd say in that he was a late notice replacement for someone with a completely different style and I think that favors Bisping. I think the narrative that Rockhold didn't take it seriously and was just joshin' or whatever is stupid but there's still an element of circumstance that makes it easy to say Bisping got a favorable draw and Rockhold would probably still beat him with adequate preparation for Bisping instead of Weidman or Jacare.

Then the Hendo fight is just plain bad, he got to cherry pick his defense since there was a narrative for it that would sell PPVs, Hendo was like 46 and almost knocked him out like 3 times despite having the sinuses of a pug. And now it's looking like he's going to fight a welterweight on two years layoff with multiple ACL surgeries while real contenders in his weight class twiddle their thumbs.

Bisping is on the first win streak of his career in like 5 years and his best wins prior to this streak are like Brian Stann and Cung Le, decent names but nothing to build a legacy on independently. Otherwise his career is full of losses to decent people and wins or gift decisions over nobodies, some of whom he had to cheat to beat. It's real weird and you can conceivably call it the greatest Cinderella story in all of mma or a weird series of flukes just depending on how you look at it and what you value in a fight career I guess.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

henkman posted:

Why would you microwave wine

Bc you don't have time to put it in the oven, not all of us are five star cookers

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Rigel posted:

Very few people get a pop like the Diaz brothers. I don't think they are at Conor/Ronda/GSP level, but I believe they would do pretty well headlining even if a belt isn't on the line.

Nate notably does well on fox cards for sure but whether that translates to ppv buys or not is complicated math that none of us can do. Nick vs Anderson did around 600-700k buys which was strong and slightly above average for Anderson, but not the strongest that month let alone that year, and it wasn't that great a fight, he lost and he hasn't fought since and has been fairly quiet in public life. I do not think he could walk into the cage today and earn a lot against anyone he'd realistically be matched against.

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 5, 2017

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

My favorite thing about MMA and feinting is Nate Quarry revealing that for most of his professional career he did not know that you could pretend to throw a strike in order to set up other strikes.

I thought that quote was about jabbing, which is somehow even worse?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

Well, at least everyone's time got thoroughly wasted

https://twitter.com/MikeBohnMMA/status/862514472560324608

:bisonyes:

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Gay Horney posted:

Imo Yoel is nowhere near as bad a matchup for Bisping as is being said. Bisping has the toughness to weather the storm and the pressure and cardio to run circles around Yoel. I see romero having some crazy moments with Bisping winning a decision.

It is possible and it would be Bisping's most legit and least questionable win of his title career yeah, but I still see Yoel doing his One Weird Trick and putting Bisping away.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

The current mw top 5 is Romero, Rockhold, Whittaker, Mousasi and Jacare, and I don't think I'd pick Bisping to beat any of them more than 3 times out of 10.

The bottom of the top 10 is Weidman, Silva, Brunson, Jotko and somehow Vitor. I think at this point in their careers I'd consistently favor Bisping over Anderson and deflated Vitor, and maybe he'd beat Jotko 5 or 6 times out of 10. He only beats Weidman consistently if Weidman really is outright done at this point and Brunson could probably have the same kind of fight vs Bisping he did with Silva and win more often than not.

Just my hot takes when considering Bisping's future as a champion

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

tesilential posted:

I think Brunson is super overrated. Skill wise I don't think he's any better than like Mark Munoz. Bisping beats him handily. Otherwise yeah One Eye will not reign for long.

I can't and won't argue about him being overrated, I just mean his stalling tactics seem more likely to work against Bisping who is going to be less threatening or capable in the clinch than Anderson. It's kind of how Chael won, and a different panel of judges easily could have given Brunson the Silva win as well.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Novum posted:

I still don't really get what it is tbh.

In layman's terms bc that's how I understand it myself, there are PEDs and other banned substances that cause detectable changes in your body, but very faint ones that are only detectable over a long period of time. So a bio passport is where the testing agencies collect various samples of blood/pee/skin whatever over the course of months to years and track your poo poo so they can see what your hormones are doing and if they are showing long term signs of PED use that are hard or impossible to detect otherwise.

The ethical concerns, as I understand it come in a sci fi paranoia sense where people are worried it's just weird and lovely to have a long term file of your DNA locked up somewhere for who knows how long, and a bit more practically with whether it works well enough to justify keeping it around or if it's just going to flag you for natural poo poo like your balls not working as well bc you're 35 or whatever

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Yoel is older than Jacare

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Eddie Alvarez' Reebok payout went from $40k to $5k for this fight

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Re: steroids I believe the playing field should be leveled through them being banned instead of being universally accepted because I do not believe steroid use/abuse should be absolutely requisite to compete at the highest levels of a sport. I understand factors like cycling and usage amount play into how bad they are for you, and I also understand this is a sport that is inherently bad for your long term health, but I think if people make a choice to risk living with long term brain damage, it should also not come with the caveat of your balls not working, your heart being 3x the healthy size and your tendons being slim jims or whatever.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Bananas are virtually untraceable if you use peanut butter as a masking agent

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Nierbo posted:

Hope its just cupping :(

If he's flying through Berlin I am confident Cody will be doing lots of cupping, but I am not sure what that has to do with his back.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Hey lobster you making the gdt or should we call it open season?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Finally caught up, seems like I missed a solid card.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

You guys are being mean, how can he illegally knee Romero if his knee won't bend?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I'm torn between being pissed about yet another goddamn interim title and being glad that middleweight is going to get an interim fight more legitimate than its actual championship

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Work Friend Keven posted:

Is angela mangena the one who posted on facebook that story about getting "strong cocked" by fictional man who was mad at her TUF shirt.

That was Julianna Pena, Angela Magana is the one who posted a selfie while in a hospital bed in a neck and back brace because she refused to tap to a twister, in training

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Cyborg has been cited for battery

Can't believe de Randamie has cleared out the division already.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Both parties can suck and be wrong, there doesn't have to be a clear right person in any given situation

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

tesilential posted:

I don't like Cyborg, but it makes me very happy that she punched Magana in the face.

Also, lmao at the goons who jumped in to quickly point out that hitting people is wrong in the UFC thread.

No poo poo Cyborg should face charges, but it is super dope that Angela got punched over her internet smack talk. Seriously, :lol: It would be really cool if the internet wasn't quite as anonymous so everyone could get beat up for their bad opinions that they wouldn't dare voice out loud IRL.

kick em both out and shut down W145.

Has Gordon Ramsay ever come to your failing restaurant to teach you how to stop microwaving cottage cheese and threatening to stab yelpers

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I get that there are other factors at work here but yeah, TJ lost to Cruz largely because Cruz was too fast for him and Mighty Mouse has even more cardio and is even faster than Cruz was. Seems like a pretty safe bet.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

lmao at cruz being too fast for tj

He was too fast for TJ to land anything solid or clean on him until he slowed down and his foot hurt or whatever it was, yeah

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Work Friend Keven posted:

Hell, I could crush a lot of people in the world of warcraft. Even UFC champions.

How about former UFC champions, because with all due respect I think Jens Pulver is a stylistic nightmare for you

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

dc will beat him rather badly if the osp fight is anything to go by. maybe he just got out of the wrong side of the bed for it but i personally doubt it

I've seen his a lot, but drug testing issues aside, what was quantifiably different in your eyes from the OSP performance than the Rashad Evans performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Gay Horney posted:

How the gently caress is chiesa an underdog to Kevin Lee? Put me in charge

In charge of what, oddsmaking? Because technically you can be, by funneling in several thousand dollars on Michael Chiesa in Vegas.

• Locked thread