Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i feel like stipe has a weird muppet voice and is good at fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

I.N.R.I posted:

Thats why it was cut from the UFC and now has to fight for Pancreas

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I think people are starting to realize that tiny person fights are exciting even though they don't have the "someone could die at any time" appeal of HW and it makes sense for the UFC to give themselves more divisions where you can develop talent that will have fast exciting fights instead of piling up the heavier divisions with a bunch of dead weight midwestern cornboys with no cardio to have tepid gassy fights to fill cards.

Also, if the UFC is still trying for that "Be a Real Sport" thing, it's better to have smaller rosters in each weight class that can credibly claim to be the top 15-20 fighters at that weight in the world than to have weird gaps in your women's weight classes because half your roster is lightweights no one has ever heard of.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I just made it up as a weird thing because there's something wrong with my brain. But I just googled it and apparently if you're a big baby who can't finish a bottle of red in a sitting, you can microwave it in short bursts to bring it up to the right temperature if you've stored it in the fridge.

wait, people refrigerate their wine? leave it in a wine rack on your counter, or just sit it on your counter if you don't want to waste money on a wine rack.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Work Friend Keven posted:

Bottle of white, bottle of red, slap your opponent upside the head. I'll meet you any time you like / if you'll stand in the center and strike.

get some rosé, drink the whole thang, then brosé it's time to bang.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My favorite thing about MMA and feinting is Nate Quarry revealing that for most of his professional career he did not know that you could pretend to throw a strike in order to set up other strikes.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bluedeanie posted:

I thought that quote was about jabbing, which is somehow even worse?

I think he specifically said that he thought you were supposed to try to land your jabs. The idea of just throwing jabs not intended to land was new to him.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The thing with an MMA jab is that you need to keep your chin protected from way more angles than a boxing jab. That doesn't make it a worthless tool, that means you need to practice throwing it with good form thousands of times so that you don't throw a lazy one when you're tired/overconfident. Making sure your shoulder is in the right place, that your chin has tucked into the correct spot, that you have turned your body to reduce how much of your chin exposed, and so on are really important. Also actually bringing your hand back. So many guys throw jabs where the leave it out for a couple seconds and let their hand just kinda fall to their waist before bringing it back, and that's all time that half of your guard is down. As soon as someone times your jab, that sort of technique gets you put down.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Triticum Guzzler posted:

"limp leg" was just a side effect of painkillers to bas

lmao

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

let me just add this to my list of phrases black people aren't using anymore

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

saying straight fire is lit fam

ya dig homie?

this post is off the hook

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Foul Fowl posted:

the special is straight fire in the sense that norm macdonald is straight, and wants to set fire to marginalized groups in america.

lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JaySB posted:

Would you say that it's on fleek?

like eddie alvarez's eyebrows

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

wait, do you actually get another copy of the belt for every successful defense? imagine the grim future where ufc champions are hunted by professional assassins to harvest what precious little gold remains to make electronics with.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah the belt doesn't pass around. Every fight there's a new belt handed out.

That's pretty sweet. I knew each new champion got their own belt (who wants to have a belt Tim Sylvia wore while having sex with what was presumably MFS's locker room sofa), but I hadn't know about them getting one for each defense.

I hope one day MM has enough belts that he will need to hire a private security guard to stay with his dozens of belts at all times.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Forceholy posted:

I'd like it on record that having a subreddit dedicated to Black People Twitter was a mistake.

there's actual twitter accounts out there that are white right-wingers pretending to be black people that tweet menacing and racist things with like BLM hashtags and stuff and it's so painfully obvious they're not black. They even have a ridiculous playbook:

some racist gently caress posted:

Decide whether you want to be male or female. Female is easier, in terms of trolling, though it might be a hard character to play.

If you’re not feeling creative, you can just use a standard name like “Shay,” “Malita,” “Jay” or “Mike.” You can also just make up random stuff like “Jinky Slip,” “Flex Fist” or “Goldie T.” You can also use a funny black name like “D’Arnell” or “Shanika.”

(from here: https://angrywhitemen.org/2016/12/14/andrew-anglin-wants-you-to-believe-he-has-thousands-of-fake-black-person-accounts-on-twitter/)

i'll go ahead and say we're pretty far afield of UFC stuff at this point though so maybe PM me if you want to make fun of white people some more :)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

chaleski posted:

I want MM to go everywhere draped in a comical number of belts like Shonie Carter used to (or still does maybe?) with his regional belts

Of course Shonie would do that. "Hey guys, have I showed you my county fair chili cookoff ribbons lately? I've got one from every county in Nebraska."

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It's gold plated but not solid gold.

Next you're going to tell me the strap is pleather.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Nierbo posted:

What if I told you championships below 155 don't count?

i would counter that championships above 155 don't count.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I was expecting Wanderlei 2 but this aint bad at all.

yeah, it's not like she got one of those weird skinny noses where you can see up their nostrils. it looks like a normal person's nose.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

tesilential posted:

Screw GSP at this point. Everyone knew he was gonna drop the belt and duck Romero, but what a waste of time and also sucks for Jacare who probably wouldn't have taken a fight if Bisping v Romero was booked. It looks like Chael might have been right all along and GSP was teasing a return to stay in the news and keep his sponsors.

GSP has some pretty obvious anxiety problems and it may be that as the date approached he realized he just couldn't do it anymore. As much as it sucks for some of the other guys in the division, I'd rather GSP didn't go in there unprepared or mentally unready and get hurt horribly.

Of course, until we hear from GSP himself about what happened we're all just conjecturing.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
there was a guy at the gym i used to lift at who was a pro bodybuilder and he added a drug to his postcycle that was supposed to help your balls recover better but it turns out one of the side effects is that you start developing more melanoblasts so you start turning a weird yellowish brown and eventually get skin cancer. and he was absolutely willing to do it to reduce steroid-induced ball tinyness by 3% or whatever.

i think if you want a level playing field a PED ban is better than "let everyone do whatever" because with the latter guys will absolutely use poo poo with clearly documented horrible side effects so they can be really good right now. even in the non-hitting-people sports this is still true (as inri has been relating with cycling) and frankly i dont want to see somebody's balls become a sentient and separate entity and eat their whole body so that the world record on the 100m becomes .01 seconds faster.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

I.N.R.I posted:

Mr T ate my balls lol

i pity the fool whose balls dont have the size and density of birdshot

Pearnicious posted:

Yeah, and? Are we not in agreement that LWB is either touched in the head or a really bad troll? (Both?)

why do we constantly have to devolve into this high school rear end who-hates-who-more poo poo? make fun of the dumb posts and don't make it so personal with the poster.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

it was because they had so many red blood cells that it increased their blood's viscosity beyond what your resting heart rate can pump, right? that's kind of cool in the perverse mad science sort of way.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Captain Log posted:

I'd ask the grappling thread but they seem pretty goal oriented right now.

Can someone define, "The Funk." I can't, but I think I can. Show me the videos that demonstrate, "The Funk." I want that.

if one of the expert wrestlers wants to correct me, please do, but basically it's ben askren's style of wrestling. his game is a lot more oriented around inducing scrambles and keeping the match constantly off balance and he calls his style funk wrestling. the funk is just sort of the overall philosophy about how he approaches a match.

this video covers the funk roll, which is one of ben's signature moves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO1kS8wmP2Y

as you can see, it starts with the beginning of a sprawl, but then rather than following through with just driving the opponent's head down and escaping, the wrestler voluntarily flips onto their back to get control the opponent's leg and sneak through to get behind their opponent, an advantageous position. you're basically doing a riskier move when you don't need to to both keep your opponent off balance and potentially get a big advantage.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
magana's worst crime is being thirsty for attention and acting like a bully. she's not likeable but that doesn't warrant an assault imo

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

It's kind of hosed up how much mma fans are willing to overlook because they want to see freakshow fights

i agree. i used to be all about "i want to see whatever the funniest outcome is" but lately i've realized that often the 'funniest' outcome has the most horrifying repercussions.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tezcatlipoca posted:

If Lewis beats Hunt they might put him up next. Especially since Cain is perpetually injured.

If Lewis beats Hunt I might have to take an extended break from mma.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Whittaker is going to loving kick his rear end.

That guy really has been a pleasant surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
is the tuf season worth catching up on? they're all piled on my dvr but i just haven't given a gently caress to sit through them so far.

• Locked thread