Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
I wish they would just let the women's divisions develop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I think Cowboy has tremendous heart to keep putting his liver out there to be killed

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

red19fire posted:

I agree with him on most of his complaints, but there's a certain 'poo poo or get off the pot' context to bitching about the UFC.

Asking for a release is getting off the pot though

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Supposedly the reason why milling is really wild in old timey boxing videos is because it made it harder for someone to grab your wrists and elbows

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I've definitely seen people strap weights to their neck and nod their head like a hundred times in an attempt to get a stronger chin and it owns

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Panic drills are pretty necessary because it's good to know what to do when you're tired and the other person isn't. Drills where everyone beats up on one person is dumb because if you're concussed the fight is over anyway and lol at any drill that trains intangibles like heart, toughness, wisdom or whatever

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Err, it's been a long week. Has anything cool happened? I'm way out of the loop.

It's monday

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

He got dropped an ancient dan Henderson like four times in his last fight

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

threeagainstfour posted:

Apparently his side of the deal is done and the ball is in Mayweather's court now.

Lol

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Bisping sucks

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

On a long enough timeline everyone becomes Tito Ortiz

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Weird hypothetical: if downward elbows, and strikes to the back of the spine and head were legal - would leg takedowns no longer be viable?

The downward elbow to the back of the head is already kind of sort of unofficially allowed if one guy is pinned to the cage. It wouldn't make a big difference except more people would die or be permanently damaged

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

That's to protect the hands, though

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

Didn't old bare knuckle fights feature a lot more body shots and a lot fewer punches to the head?

Current bare knuckle fights are like this, too. They mostly just jab and hunt for the body

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfEDqOBTKV0

vainman fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 20, 2017

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Lethwei is kind of what you're proposing except they wrap their hands

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Headgear is pretty well-designed in terms of sightlines. I think the little bit of padding is probably a good thing for your brain in the long term but I don't know if there have been any long term studies about it

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

https://streamable.com/7pfe

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

I was gonna say one group might be "people who want to watch competitive fights" but as a non boxing person my understanding is Pacqiao was pretty washed by the time they fought so maybe that doesn't matter

I think that's underrating Pacquiao. He would be the favourite against any welterweight if they fought tomorrow, he just wouldn't finish like he would have a decade ago. The problem is Floyd is really good and some people like to pretend he isn't

vainman fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Aldo's exactly like GSP right down to getting embarrassingly kod in the first round and being primarily remembered as a decision machine despite wrecking people

• Locked thread