Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Kilometers Davis posted:

I rate Stipe so high because of how weirdly plain his dominance is. He doesn't give me that Cain thing that you mentioned, but when I look back on his fights they always impress me even more than they did initially. He's never going to be as exciting as a Silva matrix move reel or have that Brock Lesnar bulldozer appeal, his skills are subtle and a little hard to pin down. And don't get me wrong I'm anything but a Stipe fart huffer, I was dying for Reem to destroy him. After that fight I revisited some of his older ones and came away thinking he's going to be good for a while. At worst he'll likely age into a strongdad who brutally KOs a mid level hw once a year.

good poiints... Stipe is really good and has become a pretty sick KO artist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Also come back drinking farts guy

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

JBJ is getting out of control now that FD is gone

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Fat Twitter Man posted:

His two most obvious strengths are his durability, especially his chin, and his amateur boxing background. The story on his boxing is that he was brought into Strong Style to be a sparring partner for someone because of his wrestling, and he took to boxing so fast he was in some kind of national Golden Gloves thing within a year. Most heavyweight wrestlers learn they can hit hard and start looking for the knockout, but Stipe moves and feints a lot, and he uses that triple jab. Not that he can't hurt someone if he sits down on his punches, but he's a really disciplined striker who tears people up through volume or baits people into charging him with jabs and leg kicks (not that he's a great counter striker, but he hits with precision moving backwards which is how he took out Werdum and Arlovski). Because he counts on volume so much, his conditioning is really good. He barely uses his offensive wrestling at all, and honestly isn't great at it. His tendency to get dropped every fight is sort of like an early Michael Bisping thing, where his chin is so good he counts on it too much. In fact, he's basically a less refined Bisping in his style. Cardio, chin, and accurate volume striking.

agree w/ all except the last bisping comparison. Hes got lots more knock out juice than bisping. Also hes more refined striking than bisping IMO... bisping only circled 1 direction the majority of his career.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

tooterfish posted:

LOL, okay that's fair enough.

In that case I still don't think "spent most of his career circling only one direction" is a valid criticism of his style though... it wouldn't be a problem if it weren't the wrong direction. :mmmhmm:

sort of is since there are left and right handed people in the world,

its just a misunderstanding because bispings badness is beyond belief. It is much easier to believe that I was dumb and wrong than a professional fighter would be as bad as Bisping was. Completely understandable mistake

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

LobsterMobster posted:

I need to find it, but I cut together a video of Bisping getting caught by right hands due to circling to the left.

I know Kang and Rivera clipped him, in addition to Hendo

Eric Schafer and Elvis Sinosic both beat his rear end for awhile so they probably dropped him with rights

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Skip My Posts posted:

i feel like bisping's footwork is good and has improved even if he still makes that mistake a lot, the rockhold finish was pretty beautiful

he sucks much less than he once did

imo he sold out to avoid the td above all else so he didnt get taken down and laid on like Rashad did to him. by and by it lessened his power and made him not very aggressive so he was pretty weak (especially to watch) in the striking. being world class tough and improving his cardio got him through the first part of his career and he had a certain striking acumen but any finishing ability only showed up when he could GnP, but he tried to avoid going to the ground. Yeck. Just a frustrating fighter to watch with lots of boring fights, and he got by Jorge Rivera by cheating and Hamill by bad judging.

I dont really know how hes turned it around

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

1st AD posted:

all the good fighters did tons of steroids and cut a million pounds, it's harder to do both now.

also apparently the best base for fighting is having 1 functional eye

sadly i think you are right

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

CommonShore posted:

pics or it didn't horney

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

InfiniteZero posted:

Not really. He connected a few times in the first. In the second and third rounds, when he was completely gassed, Mayhem tried the "I can't really do anything oh well, hopefully I won't die" strategy which worked physically but not for his career.

Also I just want to check if we're at the "he was always bad" stage for Bisping yet.

Ive been at that stage since 2006

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Snowman_McK posted:

Anderson Silva is old, Luke Rockhold fought like an idiot, Dan Henderson is even older. Two of those still nearly finished him.

We keep having this discussion as if there isn't a clear answer.

he deserves the credit for the rockhold win. he overcame his own poo poo to beat that guy.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

manyak posted:

Bispings pretty old too to be fair.. hes only a few years younger than Silva and a bunch older than Rockhold. Hes been fighting for a long time

Yeah hes way old

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

manyak posted:

Yeah the situation outside of like the top 5 is really insanely lovely right now for every division MW and above

Johny Hendricks has one fight at MW following 3 straight losses at WW -- he took Lombard to decision. Lombard is 0-4 in the past 3 years with two brutal KO losses and a pop for steroids. Hendricks is the 12th rated MW

Amen

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
did we laff at this yet http://mmaimports.com/2017/05/cerrone-ill-have-sex-with-a-man-on-live-t-v-for-25-million/

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Chinese ufc sucks

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Could we not rekindle that discussion? I didnt watch the video + feel left out

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Gay Horney posted:

he's kind of right. For a lot of styles and a lot of fighters you need to be really relatively safe to throw a jab. The jab in MMA makes you vulnerable to an overhand right or cross unless you throw it perfectly. Perfectly doesn't just mean keeping your elbow tight and your knees bent it also means you have to know the distance exactly. In other words you have to set up the jab while being aware of your wrestling opportunities, his wrestling opportunities, the feet, etc. There's a loving lot of work and a lot of just circumstantial poo poo that has to come together before you can throw a truly safe jab. Many fighters would rather set up a bigger strike.

With all that being said if you make a stinging jab a part of your game plan it can definitely work for you--Rory Mac, Gustaffson, Masvidal, Joanna and Makdessi all come to mind as guys who have nasty jabs that can gently caress up your whole poo poo but that's a function of their body types and fighting styles. They're never out of position to either throw that jab or move their weight around and come in with another strike. In MMA the jab is more a feature of certain fighters skillsets and movement patterns rather than something everyone should try to force.

no... and thats not the point anyway. Your tangential jab analysis is goofy.

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 8, 2017

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Foul Fowl posted:

which in the context of the time he was fighting makes a lot of sense because being good at mma meant having really good offense and hitting hard, i'm pretty sure there was no point to him throwing with less than 100% power in most of his fights

e: i'm obviously not saying that there's no point to doing that. but it didn't really impact quarry much because of how, and who, he fought.

he fought some guys who knew how to strike. rivera and franklin

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Gay Horney posted:

Submit your corrections and I will let Jeremy Horn know where he's wrong

My first correction is that its not 2006 anymore, and Kenny Florian revolutionized the sport showing how a jab works pretty much exactly how and in the same circumstances you would expect it too if someone did it

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Jeremy horn doesn't think Jabs work because none of his punches ever worked

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Marching Powder posted:

remember when gsp put one fo the most prolonged and vicious beatings seen inside the octagon on josh koscheck? little did he know he was vulnerable to the overhand right - the only punch koscheck knows how to throw

It was crazy how a fighter used a jab to keep a distance and throw off his opponents timing... Never before seen in MMA

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Gay Horney posted:

Yes like I said there are more fighters working it into their gameplan. Nate Quarry is not one of them (and neither was Jeremy to be fair) and I was talking about Bas being right when he said there's no reason to throw a jab at the time he said it.

Every fighter you train with is dumber than tim sylvia who defended a ufc title with jabs

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

chaleski posted:

Nate Quarry is from an era where concepts like "lateral footwork" and "head movement" were cutting edge

Bas is from an era where any kind of footwork or movement of any body part was a technique

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Foul Fowl posted:

oh yeah and they loving killed him but i don't think the fact that quarry threw everything hard changed those fights at all. they were just way better. i'm not saying everyone sucked just that quarry probably had the best career he could have had.

agree. he was a bit of an older guy too i think

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Bas also said elbows are cheap because they only cut and never KOd anyone (to ricco rodriguez who kod randy with elbows)

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Kaddish posted:

Goddamn, I don't want either Stipe or JDS to lose.

JDS is maybe my #1 favorite KO artist, but I want Stipe to win. Stipe won me over as a fanby KOing hunt arlovski werdum and overeem. it was a public service to knock those guys out of the title picture

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

1st AD posted:

The jab doesn't work

:goonsay:

They're milling

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Remembering when I predicted tate was gonna submit Holm, and fatherdog refused to evem.ackowledge the possibility of it happening and that there was no way she would be able to holm to the ground if rousey couldnt...lol

Nope

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Novum posted:

Fatherdog is getting the "he was always bad" treatment???

lol

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Ain + I used to diss FD as ops of the psp mirc cabal

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

david carmichael posted:

i think the moral handwringing over dudes juicing to cave each other's skulls in should be secondary to the fact that we are paying people to cave each other's skulls in

I feel better if its fair

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I ate a steroid before I went to bed last night, Peeled in the Napao way

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Bubba Smith posted:

how's your performance feeling today?

Good from the bananas I injected in my rear end

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Its so retarded that I have to eat food to survive but its completely optional to take steroids

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Work Friend Keven posted:

Current gen steroids are more healthier (like they're not good for you but the weight cuts are probably causing more long term damage) and in general it's kind of just the price you pay. Like a successful MMA career is going to give you two bum knees, a bad back, and possible CTE so idk why we all act horrified by adding semi-functional balls and a bowling ball head to that list.

Roofers , also

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Bubba Smith posted:

bundt can you confirm/deny this??

Ive been on bananas since I was a child

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

This is where I fundamentally disagree

Why have refs?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Refs give a fighter a little comfort knowing if they get KO'd or their arm broken, they won't get their head stomped on until their dead. That's performance enhancing. Theres no difference between that and a banana, really. We cheer for these guys to get hurt anyway. Why not get rid of the ref and let them gget hurt? Refs can be biased - this levels the playing field

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Someone has to decide when the fight is over

let the fighter police themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
He said he didnt tap. Guess He didnt