Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I remember watching the first round of Stipe v JDS 1 and being really impressed that Stipe was smart enough to straight up jack Cain's gameplan for JDS. Then Stipe slowed down and didn't do enough to win the latter rounds. Either way he's the rare heavyweight who has coordination approaching that of a normal human and as such he has gone very far and may end up the GOAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if it's worth posting, someone post the content of the tweet

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The liver was always bad

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Last I heard Wes Sims was scheduled to fight Chael's 50 year old friend and podcast cohost "Joel" in a pro match for charity.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Screw GSP at this point. Everyone knew he was gonna drop the belt and duck Romero, but what a waste of time and also sucks for Jacare who probably wouldn't have taken a fight if Bisping v Romero was booked. It looks like Chael might have been right all along and GSP was teasing a return to stay in the news and keep his sponsors.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bluedeanie posted:

The current mw top 5 is Romero, Rockhold, Whittaker, Mousasi and Jacare, and I don't think I'd pick Bisping to beat any of them more than 3 times out of 10.

The bottom of the top 10 is Weidman, Silva, Brunson, Jotko and somehow Vitor. I think at this point in their careers I'd consistently favor Bisping over Anderson and deflated Vitor, and maybe he'd beat Jotko 5 or 6 times out of 10. He only beats Weidman consistently if Weidman really is outright done at this point and Brunson could probably have the same kind of fight vs Bisping he did with Silva and win more often than not.

Just my hot takes when considering Bisping's future as a champion

I think Brunson is super overrated. Skill wise I don't think he's any better than like Mark Munoz. Bisping beats him handily. Otherwise yeah One Eye will not reign for long.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The genetic passport is lovely because a fighter can fail retroactively and be punished because certain "levels" have "changed." IMO it's unethical to find guilt when they haven't even identified that a banned substance was taken to begin with.

:siren:Bad analogy incoming :siren: It'd be like the police comparing your bank statements and salary from 5 years ago and determining that you had too much money running through your account, therefore you are guilty of armed robbery.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Marching Powder posted:

rumor has it kelvin's fighting weidman. kelvin will win too.

Maybe Kelvin was the savior all along? I'd like him to smash weidman and call out jon jones, lol

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not talking about Penne.

I recall reading the actual USADA policy regarding Genetic passport and it explicitly stated if things seem out of whack they could punish a fighter without actually identifying which banned substance was taken. Could be recalling incorrectly but I remember that standing out at the time, will try to find the quote again.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Can't wait until 2060 when testing has advanced to the point USADA can backtest to prove that Everyone is on Steroids and all fights are ruled NC.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
UFC hall of famer Josh Barnett 0-0-43

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

There is no argument against "PED"s that makes any sense. If you're an athlete, ideally, everything that you put into your body is a PED, and to differentiate between a banana and a steroid is retarded. Yes, even if your job is to concuss your opponent

I can dig it. They should be allowed to take whatever the general public can legally take. It was always weird to me to see Hunt in the cage with his team after a fight and his random roided sparring partner makes him look puny.

It's also not cool that in 6 months juicy retired Vitor will be like 10x the fighter as current pro fighter Vitor.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I.N.R.I posted:

frankly there is no safe way to take banned peds that are a) controlled and must be obtained illegally b) untested and c) not administered by a health professional

I agree, but A, B and C are all caused by the prohibition of steroids, not the steroids themselves. If they were allowed then those would all cease to be risk factors.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'd rather fighters not do steroids and not cut weight. Both would be immensely beneficial for their health. Ultimately I just want to watch good fights, and cancelling fights is worse for the sport [fans] than roids or weight cuts or whatever.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

manyak posted:

Cancelling fights of guys that are cheating is good for the sport

Obviously you've never attended an event or purchased a PPV.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Memento posted:

You're as big an idiot as Jon Jones.

gently caress you moron

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't like Cyborg, but it makes me very happy that she punched Magana in the face.

Also, lmao at the goons who jumped in to quickly point out that hitting people is wrong in the UFC thread.

No poo poo Cyborg should face charges, but it is super dope that Angela got punched over her internet smack talk. Seriously, :lol: It would be really cool if the internet wasn't quite as anonymous so everyone could get beat up for their bad opinions that they wouldn't dare voice out loud IRL.

kick em both out and shut down W145.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

chaleski posted:

I know right, us combat sports fans love illegal violence, Krazy Horse and Thiago Silva are the best

Don't forget Mayhem and War Machine.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Furthermore I agree with you, noble goon, that smacking someone that talks poo poo is the same if not worse than unapologetically beating your spouse and innocent strangers to within an inch of their lives because you were horny or whatever.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I.N.R.I posted:

who are u trying to impress?

Yo momma. I can see why you abbreviated your username, "I'm Not Really Intelligent" is too obvious.

Bluedeanie posted:

Has Gordon Ramsay ever come to your failing restaurant to teach you how to stop microwaving cottage cheese and threatening to stab yelpers

Nope.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lmao, i deserved both pages of that

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Maybe they should pay him what he deserves.

MM is literally the best, but how much exactly does he deserve? Salaries in MMA are and must be based on drawing power, and Demetrious isn't yet a draw. Since DJ isn't interested in becoming an interesting person and thus a draw, beating TJ for the new title defense record is probably the best thing he could do for his earning power.

Longwinded way to say he doesn't deserve McGregor, Diaz or even Anderson Silva money even if he is better at fighting than them.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tezcatlipoca posted:

At least 500k per fight.

Whoa whoa, the man could use a raise but James Toney CM Punk money?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Salaries don't have to be based on drawing power, particularly when drawing power can be directly influenced by the promoter to no small degree unless you're a mega-star like Conor who transcends logic in terms of popularity. If the UFC keep putting you on the undercard of foreign fight night cards, you're not going to get any drawing power.

Then what should they be based on? I'm asking in earnest. As it stands, promotors make money in 3 ways: 1) Ticket Sales, 2) PPV Sales, 3) TV Deals. Unfortunately, MM doesn't provide much value in any of those categories.

As far the the promotor creating stars, that's a different issue, but I'm firmly in the camp the promotor has very little control over that. If it were up to the UFC, they'd make every fighter as popular as McGregor so they could clean house every weekend selling million buy PPVs. The UFC can put MM on our TV sets everyday, but they can't make us care about him and they surely wish we did. Personalities sell tickets. Perfect jabs do not. To me it's hard to say he deserves more because his technical skills exceed those of others. The technical skills of fighters do not make the UFC more money. He needs to sell more tickets, however the hell he can, in order to really "deserve" more money, IMO.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

At least 500k per fight.

Please show your work.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The reason I talk about MMA on the internet instead of run the UFC is because I don't have all the answers or even good ideas but they can definitely do more to pay fighters based on their overall performances. You should get more money for being a better fighter, and it's not like I'm saying drawing power should be removed from the equation, only that it shouldn't be the deciding factor.

I also don't have any inside knowledge or scoop and am just trying to apply common sense and logic for the sake of conversation with the only other people on earth that care to talk about this poo poo.

Drawing power is the only objective metric they have. Guys that make them the most money get paid the most money, or should be. Like what if Sergio Pettis beats MM in 6 months? Should MM's salary be slashed because he's not the best anymore? Should Sergio immediately become the highest paid guy since he beat the best guy? I don't know man, it seems too hard to determine in a sport when the best are not the best for long. Especially when you have MMA triangles like Rory>Woodley>Wonderboy>Rory. If Woodley wasn't champ and Rory was still in UFC, who deserves to be paid the best? BJ Penn is horrible at this point but he still commands a good purse because of whatever popularity of his remains.

Drawing power is measurable via PPV buys, ticket sales, TV viewership, etc. They can look at who has the best numbers and pay them accordingly. If you want a raise, draw more attention to yourself. Just putting people on TV doesn't magically make people care about them. MM main flaw is his personality is completely average and unremarkable.

I do agree it's a whacky business and it's insane that Mighty Mouse probably made less than VP Matt Hughes in 2015.

E: The new ownership structure probably make it worse for guys like MM. Can you imagine the CEO telling shareholders they are gonna start paying out more money for "better fighters" instead of focusing on fighters that make them money.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 24, 2017

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's already been stated but the whole season from arrival to departure is like 35 days. TJ appears to be a better coach overall and he stated he wants to coach when he retires. Cody has done just fine as a coach as well, especially for a fighter who doesn't appear to be that interested in coaching.

TJ has better fighters on his team.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snowman_McK posted:

Aldo really, really doesn't have any weaknesses. Except a full year of overtly racist trash talk couple with his bosses praying for him to lose with dollar signs dancing in their eyes.

lol what

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

1st AD posted:

Frankie is second best to Aldo. Aldo pretty much outclasses him everywhere, except maybe he moves fewer miles in a fight than Frankie does.

I think it's funny that Chad$ was considered #2 for so long and then gets back to back murdered by Conor, Frankie, and an acne cream.

1) Frankie may have better offensive wrestling, who knows since Aldo has never had to really use it.

2) Chad was legit the #2 guy in the division until Conor and Frankie proved he wasn't. He may still be the 3rd best guy in the weightclass.

e;f Did I just fall for the Chad was always bad? Remember when Renan finally lost and people were like seeeee he was never the legit champ, all the while forgetting that for several years nobody could beat him. Nobody is invincible. One day sooner than you think there will be 10 featherweights who can beat Aldo, it doesn't mean Aldo wasn't the best at his time.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

1st AD posted:

Naw, Chad wasn't bad, but he was flawed and his 2nd run for the title includes a ton of dud fights including against Cody McKenzie and Darren Elkins (due to injury replacements, so not his fault, but still).

His 2nd Aldo fight was great, but you could see where he was trying really hard to implement Ludwig's movement and gameplan and could only maintain it for about 2 minutes at the start of every round, then he'd be back to being planted on his lead leg and trading shots in close.

Chad definitely has flaws, but I still think he was legit the second best FW until Frankie dropped down. These days I'd pick Holloway over him as well. And yeah I'd expect number two to have 2 min of success (or less) per round against number one.

Hell Urijah Faber is an all-time great lighter weight fighter and he has like Clay Guida level stand up.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really want MM to take the TJ fight and win. As a MM fan I don't want him to break the title defense record with a win over a nobody. TJ would be MM's biggest win by far and cement his legacy in a way that beating Ray Borg simply cannot.

So here's hoping either MM beats TJ or Borg beats MM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tezcatlipoca posted:

What do you think is his best win so far?

First round finish of [then] undefeated Henry Cejudo. Second place is knocking out Benavidez.

I also think Henry clearly beat JB and losing the decision was highway robbery. Joey himself admitted Cejudo was more effective but maybe the judges liked that Joe never stopped throwing, even if he was whiffing almost every strike.

• Locked thread